J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice in directors, bad choice in titles. I really hope they set the new film/s in The Old Republic era to tie-in with this game. Not only would that boost sales for this game but this era is far more interesting with its cold war, Machiavellian politics and corruption. Jedi and Sith at the height of their powers battling on a scale not seen before; Battle of Gondor with lightsabers anyone?

I agree, but I would bring it back to just befor Kotor 1 and the rise and fall of Revan and Malek during the Mandalorian wars....

Darth Revan could be more captivating then even Vader was....and hopefully it will take longer then 3min of film to show Revan's fall to the dark side (the final transition). lol.

Edited by Themanthatisi

I think the main point to consider, and be thankful for, is that the franchise is in the hands of a fan. They could be a lot worse if they gave it to some big name hot shot who wanted to make some stunning blockbuster in their own style. I honestly think if JJ is taking the job that he will treat it with the respect it deserves and do a damn sight better job than Lucas ever did in the directers chair.

To me if you liked or hated his previous works is almost irrelevant. What most people complain about is the story, but the actual directing you have to admit is very good. Look at the pacing on the latest Star Trek, it remedied me so much of the Original Trilogy in the way the story was carried. For me, that was one of the biggest problems with the prequels, the pacing of the films was all off as there was no clear structure like with the originals.

Hopefully JJ will be able to bring back that old magic to the films and who else could? We need someone with a good understanding of how to direct a big sci-fi blockbuster but who is also an honest fan, and yes I do think only a proper geek will do!

My only concern is that there will be too manly similarities to Star Trek. Personally I'd like to keep thoes franchises separate and competitive.

Obviouly, but I'm just curious about what or if there will be an influence on content within the game based on what we will see in the movies.

probably not a lot, since the movies are based after the other movies, and BW said they arent putting things in that shouldnt be in, in this timeframe, which is why you dont see many things from the trilogies

I will judge it when I see it. Personally I bet everything on the writers. If they will do a bad job then nothing or no one can save the film.

Though now that George will not be involved, the director might actually be a director unlike in ESB and ROTJ when they were just hired hands to work with actors. So I hope they picked a capable guy.

Edited by Path-x

Hmmm, reading the replies it seems there's a mixed response on this front. However apparently Abrams doesn't like using CGI - which is definitely a plus. CGI-fests are partly what brought the Prequels down from their original heights. But IMO at least concerning Star Wars its more the writer and less the director that matters. And the writer choice is spot on excellent.

As usual, I trust that Lucasarts and Disney know what they are doing, as they have far more experience in this field than I ever will. But we shall see...

Obviouly, but I'm just curious about what or if there will be an influence on content within the game based on what we will see in the movies.

Well, we've already seen a few scenes based on movie moments, I'd imagine we'd end up seeing a lot more.

Oh, and I also reckon we're going to see an imperial agent in the movie. Just because.

Hmmm, reading the replies it seems there's a mixed response on this front. However apparently Abrams doesn't like using CGI - which is definitely a plus. CGI-fests are partly what brought the Prequels down from their original heights. But IMO at least concerning Star Wars its more the writer and less the director that matters. And the writer choice is spot on excellent.

As usual, I trust that Lucasarts and Disney know what they are doing, as they have far more experience in this field than I ever will. But we shall see...

right. good old JJ likes to cheap out on sets. i cant wait to see what new and exciting ways he can use a beer distilary as a set. because it worked so well and was so believable as the entrerpise engine room. also, really am excited to see his over explosed white washed ship interiors.

JJ is a garbage director and is really lazy. new star trek movie was horrid. only reason it passes for a OK movie is because most other star trek movies have been worse.

Good news, as a Star Wars fan, I happy to know, there is new movies in the works, and being worked on by some one that said they were a huge Star Wars fan and they seem to understand just how huge the Star Wars IP is, there is a few good news stories out there wit hJJ talking about it.. good reads.

right. good old JJ likes to cheap out on sets. i cant wait to see what new and exciting ways he can use a beer distilary as a set. because it worked so well and was so believable as the entrerpise engine room. also, really am excited to see his over explosed white washed ship interiors.

JJ is a garbage director and is really lazy. new star trek movie was horrid. only reason it passes for a OK movie is because most other star trek movies have been worse.

You just made me sad. :(

But that's OK because the reviews for Star Trek are actually quite excellent - 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. And most people believe he rescued that flagging franchise. Super 8 was 82%. and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93%. Admittedly however I've only seen Mission Impossible, but I really enjoyed that film. (I shall make it my mission to see Star Trek and Super 8) And he pretty much revived that series too. So I still have high hopes for this director.

And I also found this article interesting. This guy seems to praise Abrams use of CGI and his abilities altogether. And apologies I'm more inclined to agree with him than you. But again, we shall wait and see.

You just made me sad. :(

But that's OK because the reviews for Star Trek are actually quite excellent - 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. And most people believe he rescued that flagging franchise. Super 8 was 82%. and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93%. Admittedly however I've only seen Mission Impossible, but I really enjoyed that film. (I shall make it my mission to see Star Trek and Super 8) And he pretty much revived that series too. So I still have high hopes for this director.

And I also found this article interesting. This guy seems to praise Abrams use of CGI and his abilities altogether. And apologies I'm more inclined to agree with him than you. But again, we shall wait and see.

JJ Abrams did not direct Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Brad Bird did. And rotten tomatoes is a bad source to use as there scores are based on how many reviews gave a positive review not how many gave 5/5. A mediocre film that everyone thought was ok would thus get a better RT score than a film that some thought was excellent and others hated.

Having said that i love the new Star Trek. Sure it aint like the old Star Trek but i shouldn't have been. It was a reboot after all. And to be fair it was more like a Star Wars film anyway, in that it was more focused on fun than hard core sci-fi. So another reason this deal could work well :)

Well, we've already seen a few scenes based on movie moments, I'd imagine we'd end up seeing a lot more.

Oh, and I also reckon we're going to see an imperial agent in the movie. Just because.

Yeah if you look at how the extended universe had an influence on the Chiss being included and allied with the Empire in ToR thats an example of how they do work elements into the game depite the huge timeline gap.

i agree with the mixed response, i see people talking about the lens flare effects from ST, and personally i liked the lens flares, and hope they are in E7. i think it makes space look less empty