The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Honestly i don't see the reason for the hate on noxxic , i use it when i first start a character and i usually do pretty well with the advice they give. And then even the other guides ive seen they usually are very similar to noxxic.

I believe that this aspect of the discussion starting with using Noxxic as a source of data.

There are plenty of really great guides available. Noxxic isn't one of them. Sometimes their advice is simply poor, sometimes it is actually destructive.

Due to the this, the response one gets when citing them as a source tends to be pretty strong.

Nothing wrong with using a guide. Just use a good one.

which is WHy I asked for other guides suggestions.

and the replies i got "just read the tooltips and figure it out yourself, the long way"

THAT is the attitude that i don't get. if you know better sources? why is it so difficult to share them with someone who asks? especially with someone who might not yet have experience to figure out exactly which parts of noxxic are so wrong (other than obvious don't use aggro drop as a tank - which to be fair is not as obvious to someone who is even less experienced)

and the thing is, there isn't even an excuse of business competition (which is what I ran into when starting to learn design... I thought I was insecure, but apparently some people are so afraid, have so little faith in their creativity that even sharing which supplier they get raw materials from is too much of a threat to their livelihood) this is a case where we ALL benefit from people knowing how to play better. there's no inherent virtue in making others go through the same hardships you may have had to go through as an early adopter.

I use noxxic because its an all in one guide that is just basic overview - cliff notes if you will, that gives me a jump start for figuring out what works for me. especially when I'm trying out a new spec or a new role that I didn't level with, and so didn't have a chance to familiarize myself with gradually. but if the information on noxxic is flawed? why not share better alternatives?

Edited by Jeweledleah

which is WHy I asked for other guides suggestions.

and the replies i got "just read the tooltips and figure it out yourself, the long way"

THAT is the attitude that i don't get. if you know better sources? why is it so difficult to share them with someone who asks? especially with someone who might not yet have experience to figure out exactly which parts of noxxic are so wrong (other than obvious don't use aggro drop as a tank - which to be fair is not as obvious to someone who is even less experienced)

I understand.

Honestly, the class section of this forum contains some really really good guides. For each of the toons I leveled, the stickied threads at the top contained great data that helped me out.

For some more in-depth analysis of classes, the site mmo-mechanics is excellent. The people that post there love math and MMOs, and really spend a lot of time crunching numbers and figuring things out.

what I'm saying I don't have time to learn it the hard way not to mention I actually respect the time of other people who end up victims of my learning the hard way. what is wrong with following the advice of others who already figured it out exactly?
But yes, you do, because people with equally demanding schedules manage to — they're just more patient about it. In fact, these are the same people who write your guides — most are in college, have jobs, or both. My only issue was with saying "I can't learn it myself because I have a job, hobbies, and a life so stop bothering me!" — that is just flat-out wrong. You don't want to spend time doing it, and that is completely fine. But that's entirely a personal preference.

I definitely am not complaining that you look at guides. I hunt for guides. Everyone hunts for guides, I think. Even the people writing guides hunt for guides or ask for advice or do a lot of experimenting. The people making the game probably reference guides sometimes. :p

But I think, as someone else mentioned, the crux point was that following certain lazy / hasty guides can cause harm. It's still better than both following no guide and not taking any time to think about things yourself, but following a good guide or employing critical thinking would both probably be more effective in the long-term. There's a danger to getting too used to just doing what you're told, at face value.

~~~

Also, SWTOR can have a dearth of guides on certain classes / specs / aspects at times because it's not as popular a game as other MMOs. In these cases, again, it helps to be able to look at your tooltips, lay out your toolbox, compare what your skill tree is doing and tinker out the rough outline of what your class+spec is probably intended to do.

SWTOR is, for the most part, very straight-forward. It doesn't have a lot of the HA HA HA!!! "traps" that WoW loves to spring on people, for example. So it's usually quite doable to sort out your rotation and what skills are "use me all the time" vs. "use me only in certain situations", on your own. From there, you can use the forum community here to ask questions about anything you're uncertain about — people in the Class forums are usually very, very helpful / constructive.

Edited by SW_display_name

like operatives who keep using cover and long range abilities... because that's what the trainer has been teaching them when they first started playing a character, those abilities popped out automatically on their toolbars, so if trainer kept offering them upgrades for those skills... that should mean they are still useful yes? and mouseover tooltip shows that they are supposed to deal a fair bit of damage too. see where I'm going with it?
But they are useful. Snipe is a perfectly appropriate substitute for Overload Shot if you can pull it off without cast pushback and do it without capping Energy, and Explosive Probe is also useful for uncapping Energy when moving to target / forced out of melee range. Additionally, Cover is an incredible defensive tool when healing as Op or squeezing out a last-second escape as Conceal/Lethality.

On the other hand, an Operative who stays at 30m is going to perform pretty questionably. But your skill trees are completely filled with buffs to your close range abilities, and shiny new 4m / 10m abilities. This is a pretty gigantic clue that you should be getting in there — and that's what I'm saying. Some critical thinking and "hmmm." would discourage most Ops from staying at 30m in Cover at all times, and this is supported by rarely ever seeing an Op do that in an FP.

That's why the odd one that does stands out as "weird". ;)

what's obvious to you, is not necessarily obvious to someone else.

like that bounty hunter who kept using all abilities as they lit up... because she didn't know any better and because at that time no one bothered to ask her why.

Sure, but if she had stopped to think at all about what she was doing, she would stop doing that. There's only so far the game designers can compensate for people; if you're unwilling to even read your tooltips, then I think it's reasonable to pay for that with some gameplay deficiency.

Again, this is supported by only seeing 1 Powertech do that over leveling 6 ACs to 50 so far. My sample size is quite biased and small, but it still suggests that the vast majority of players can sit down and reason out that their class full of melee / 10m abilities should stand at melee / 10m and use them, and that since they're not tanking, they should not use 2 abilities that "force the target to attack you for 6 seconds".

And that's enough for most group content in SWTOR. To go beyond that, you want to use your abilities in the optimal priority. Only HM Op+ content demands that sort of stuff, though, and no one would blame you for not magically knowing it since even tooltips and napkin math can't always tell you the correct story there.

I understand.

Honestly, the class section of this forum contains some really really good guides. For each of the toons I leveled, the stickied threads at the top contained great data that helped me out.

For some more in-depth analysis of classes, the site mmo-mechanics is excellent. The people that post there love math and MMOs, and really spend a lot of time crunching numbers and figuring things out.

thank you for the suggestions, I'll refer to these sources from now on

But yes, you do, because people with equally demanding schedules manage to — they're just more patient about it. In fact, these are the same people who write your guides — most are in college, have jobs, or both. My only issue was with saying "I can't learn it myself because I have a job, hobbies, and a life so stop bothering me!" — that is just flat-out wrong. You don't want to spend time doing it, and that is completely fine. But that's entirely a personal preference.

I'm going to give you an example, sort of a personal one. I like to draw sometimes. I enjoy it. I'm mediocre at it. and slow. so very painfully slow. its the reason why I don't draw very often. I do practice and I do get better as I practice, but I'll never be anywhere near professional level, let alone great artist level. sometimes I look at art of other people with great deal of wistfulness. most of the time, I collect tutorials they have created, guides, lessons and try to follow them, because it does help and it does allow me to improve more efficiently. learning shortcuts other people figured out, allows me to speed up my own drawings and as a result have an opportunity to draw more often.

like any skill - playing games is a little like that. some people are just better at it than others. some people learn faster, figure things out faster. others CAN figure out things on their own, but it takes them 10 times as long . and some people need help, period.

there's nothing wrong with it. and this is what I was talking about. if I were to try to figure out how each and every class works on my own, sure i could do that eventually. but it would take me far longer than someone else who has better knack for it, and it would definitely take me longer. to the point where I'd have to give something up.

I don't know how much clearer i could make it, really.

do you use datacron guides? flashpoint guides? quest guides? I do. because otherwise, my already slow leveling speed slows down to glacial and I don't get to see the stories I'd like to. because I run out of time.

this is part of the reason why I like it that in TOR quest rewards are specifically stated for your class and ONLy for your class. because they understand that figuring out what stats are good for you, can be daunting. so through quest rewards - they tell you.

and the thing is? even with dearth of TOR guides, it can still be difficult to figure out which guide is good, and which guide not so good. unless someone who knows better? helps you out and tells you.

Technicly the following stories are mostly not groupfinder (from the time before there was gf).

1st

I was doing the Hammerstation FP on SM. In our group was sentinel who acted very weird. Each time when the tank assigned a target to CC the sent started to attack that particuliairy target. He did the same when he marked something for CC himself. The whole fp went pretty decent nonetheless. When we arrived at the last boss the sent was performing very very poorly, standing in red circles, standing in the AoE blasterfire cone. The group decided to dump the sent and try to get a replacement in.

2nd

Once I saw a lv 50 sent (focusspecced) that was doing lousy damage. When I saw what attacks he did I noticed that he was wasting zealious leap, stacks of singularity were running out without him using forcesweep. All in all it was obvious that he didnt know his rotation well. To make it worse. He had loads of high endurence pieces because 'it gave him more HP to survive attacks'.

3rd

One time I was going into EC SM Z&T with a full guildrun. The raidleader actually requested a vanguard dps to attack from range. Truth be told, we only had 1 ranged with us. Suffice to say that we didnt made it (we were about 75% rakata-geared)

4th

Very recently I went into the FP lv55 with the rocked dude at the end with 3 friends. The fp was doing pretty good but that wasnt surprising as we all knew each other and were well geared. At the last boss the 3 friends decided to pull a prank on me and not breaking my shackles. After 2-3 wipes or so I decided to stand in closerange with my GS so that would break my shackles by accident. In the end we finally downed it, with me still shackled and waiting about 45 seconds till my cc breaker was off cd so I could break my shackles :p

5th

We went into EV HM for a gearing run. It was again a full guildrun. There was a commando dps participating that had issues with TS, so he went without TS. That part wasnt to bad IF he knew what to do. At the first boss, even though I clearly told him before hand to stack when we did stack, he refused to come. We even typed during the stackingphase to come and stack.

Sinse his gear was mixed with cunning, willpower tankinggear and other none commando dps gear his dps was terrible. It didnt helped either that he only used his hammershot (we assumed cause his ammo didnt dropped). Because of that we werent able to kill the boss so I swapped from my tank to dps.

At the infernal councel we decided to let the commando wait and do nothing, cause his dps wasnt great enough to kill his target. Even though we told him to stand there and do NOTHING, he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, attacking every single councelmember he could.

One final weird thing, it was so though to actually gear the commando up. We tried to convince him that the pieces that dropped were better. No luck.

6th

To conclude a nice sentinel story again.

During doing some dailies I teamed up with a sentinel who clearly didnt know what to do. One off the things was that he used inspiration off cd. Allthough you dont need it on trashmobs its not a bad thing either. Bad thing was that he always used it AFTER we killed mobs, sometimes even with valourious call

OWH and FYI, that sent and raidleader from 1st till 3rd story? That was me. It took me quite long to figure out how to play it. This is my first MMO and never have been raidleader. Now I know what to do and what not to do. I consider myself a relalitve skilled SWTOR gamer. As told by other people, we all start out as newbies making stupid mistakes.

Lets hope that the people targeted by this thread will turnout okey. :)

Little addendum to the 3rd story. The guild where I was in didnt have any ranged dps except me. Also it was our 2nd time we tried EC SM. After I noticed on Mox that the vanguarddps was doing even less dps then the tanks I quickly decided to let him close range again and take the fearfull.

like any skill - playing games is a little like that. some people are just better at it than others. some people learn faster, figure things out faster. others CAN figure out things on their own, but it takes them 10 times as long . and some people need help, period.
Yeah, that's fair. I understand where you're coming from — as much as I love gaming, I'm just not ever going to be one of the "pros" clearing Nightmare modes 2 days after release. I'm too clumsy. Everyone's skill is only relative.

Guides are definitely an awesome tool and, if we're being honest, I probably wouldn't have deciphered SWTOR so quickly if I wasn't already "trained" in MMO mechanics from years of playing WoW and reading the guides there. I guess it's human nature that it's easy to forget how much time you've spent learning something, once it feels simple to you.

If anyone had a recording of the first dungeon I ever ran in WoW, I'd probably do a Picard Facepalm™ for 20-30 minutes. :p

Sometimes, though, you try to give people advice and they either ignore you or become hostile. Like that Powertech I described — I whispered her to explain what she was doing wrong, and she thanked me for the tips. Then she kept doing it anyway... for the entire run. I asked again, and she said it was "just too hard to do it [my] way". In this case, "My way" was: "Please stop using Taunt and Grapple on cooldown". :(

reading the tooltips takes a lot less time than reading a well made guide :/ that and anyway, skill comes with exercise not with reading a guide, i'm sure you know that since you play all ACs

Me, I DO read all of the tooltips - and I STILL don't understand most of the Jedi tree tooltips !

They are not very good worded to be made understandaby for non-geeks.

In Psychology, there are several ways of learning - in video games, however, I only encounter 1.

Apparingly game makers don't know much about Didactics.

but I come from the time of game where you HAD to read book sized tutorial that came in a game box, you couldn't just jump in (and weren't expected to) and figure it all out on your own.

I remember these times.

If you want to see how this feels - then go to GOG, buy the "Realms Of Arcania" series and try to figure things out on you own.

It's difficult.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Well I got one last night.....

Was on my op healer, picked up two marauders from another guild because they needed foundry for the HK part.

So we queue. it pops after about 5 minutes or so and we get a tank. during the opening convo he discos.

no big we wait a few minutes then finally vote him out.

clearing trash, one of the maras had a decent geared Broom so we were able to at least get that done.

After about five more minutes of this we get a 53 jugg. Now bear in mind both the maras are 55, and im 51.

The new tank does not speak, does not say hi even acknowledge us in any way. He has only 14k hp, the least of the group. He is very squishy.

All three of us keep taking aggro off him, he waited until I targeted a mob for cc then attacked it several times.

Broke cc i put on droids several times as well.

I finally had enough when we got to the named jedi after the big droid boss. I cced the pat well away from the fight before anyone else got there. He comes in, pauses. looks at the cced pat, then attacks it.

when he does he gets knocked back into the group of droids across the way.

He goes down faster than Lindsay Lohan's panties. One of the Mara's makes a heroic last stand while the other one runs and camos. All in about 10 seconds while I stare in slack jawed amazement at the screen.

I was done

battle stealth

vote kick

we all agreed.

just before he got kicked he finally said something in party chat.

the only thing he said to us the entire time

F*** you.

The poor guy probably didn't know any better, I do intend to see if I can help him out. He just needs to be taught.

I've read a lot of the stories here, sometimes even laughing out loud while reading:) I usually don't post stuff on the forums, but I just have to post something now.. It seems that lately more and more players don't know what to do..

At the fleet I see lots of jedi knights leaving off to coruscant without choosing sentinel/guardian, I also inspect a lot of people and I see lots of people wearing the wrong gear.(Jedi Sage with Aim/Cunning implant) Or tank players who can't aggro more than 1 opponent, healer players who heal at the most random moments, dps players who queue as tank, all issues already mentioned in this forum.. I don't pvp because my computer can't handle it, so I don't know what the situation is there, but in Pve it gets quite frustrating sometimes.. But I also think some people should show a bit of respect..

About 4 Months ago I hit lvl 50 on my Jedi Sentinel, and I remember that when I queued for Flashpoints I got kicked because of ''too low gear'', even before the casual 'hello's and hi's'.. I am still learning a lot in this game, I am not a native english speaker so some stuff takes a lot of time to learn. However, when I asked what was wrong with my gear/what I could do to improve my role in the group, I never actually got an answer.. Also people ridiculed me because I didn't have any artifact gear, and because of the way I looked.. It was very surreal, and to be honest I really didn't know how to get better gear than tionese.. I didn't even know it was possible.. I just assumed that everyone with +20 k of hp had pvp armor.. So yes I was a big noob, about the biggest to have ever roamed the server I think...

But now I'm level 55, and I have full basic gear, and already 2 elite pieces.. I hope to do my first ops in a few weeks, I am preparing for it by reading a lot of info about the various ops levels, and I just want people to give some respect for players who are low geared/don't know what to do.. If you run into someone who doesn't speak english well enough, direct them to the fleet where they can find a guild of their native language.. If someone has too low gear, explain what is wrong about the gear and if needed, where to get better gear.. Do you see someone with the wrong implant, tell them.. This game can be very confusing to new players, sometimes it still is confusing to me, even tough I played this game for over 9 months.. And by just kicking someone without explanation you only make the problem worse.

One time I took a undergeared sage to the black hole daily area and did the whole daily run with him just to explain what he should do.. He didn't even know what to do at the blue gass mission, he just ran into the gas towards the leaks in hope of making it somehow.. He had items with strenght/aim in his gear, and I told him that was wrong.. I guided him to the fleet after the black hole daily run and helped him find a guild in his native language so he could be helped there.. Now I sometimes see him on black hole, doing the run by himself.. It gave me goosebumps..

I think more people should be a bit more nicer to each other.. I mean, you don't have to drag beginner players to the fleet and explain everything to them, but just take a minute or so of explainging them at least something thats wrong about their gear/role in the group.. For you it takes 1 minute, for them it means much much more..I love this game, I didn't call anyone by their names in this post because I don't want any people to get insulted, just wanna post my story here.:)

Edited by Marvoussh

You're right but sometimes it's hard to hav enough patience ...

I am currenttly on my new character, operative healer lev 31 so i run all the sm FP, yesterday i learned a tank to put his guard on someone.

But on those low levels FP, it s hard to keep patience when ur used to 55 FP and ops where people know pretty well their classes and specs.

Yesterday i ran cademimu, one of the dps was jumping on every packs, i let him die and explained him that it is the role of the tank to aggro mobs, as it s easier for me healer to take care of one personn instead of 3, he just answered me "take it easy" ... ok ...

after that we kill Chewbacca and his jawas and a cunning loot comes, (i was the only one in cunning), so i put "need", it was a bit better than what i had.

And there, one of the dps put need also, when he was in willpower, i yell "are u *********** joking, why do u need on a cunning loot ???"

He just answered me "to mod it u idiot" and show me the loot with willpower mods in it ...

I just left ...

Edited by xBenouze

@ xBenouze Yes, I agree with you.. I can't believe I forgot to mention the loot needing in my message , that has got to be the most annoying subject out there.. Good to read that there are more people out there who sometimes help people out, instead of kicking them out without explanation! I completely understand why you quit the group, I would've done the same, some people are just impossible:)

We had a sentinel in a 50+ group who refused to use his second lightsaber. First he had both, but after a couple of mobs only one equiped. The tank noticed first and asked very politely where his second weapon was.

"I LIKE IT SO" the sentinel said (yes in capslock). Tank said, "well, but with both you'll do more damage!"

Sentinel capslocked: "I DON'T CARE". We didn't kick him and let him have his way, but this was so weird.

Yeah, that's fair. I understand where you're coming from — as much as I love gaming, I'm just not ever going to be one of the "pros" clearing Nightmare modes 2 days after release. I'm too clumsy. Everyone's skill is only relative.

Guides are definitely an awesome tool and, if we're being honest, I probably wouldn't have deciphered SWTOR so quickly if I wasn't already "trained" in MMO mechanics from years of playing WoW and reading the guides there. I guess it's human nature that it's easy to forget how much time you've spent learning something, once it feels simple to you.

If anyone had a recording of the first dungeon I ever ran in WoW, I'd probably do a Picard Facepalm™ for 20-30 minutes. :p

Sometimes, though, you try to give people advice and they either ignore you or become hostile. Like that Powertech I described — I whispered her to explain what she was doing wrong, and she thanked me for the tips. Then she kept doing it anyway... for the entire run. I asked again, and she said it was "just too hard to do it [my] way". In this case, "My way" was: "Please stop using Taunt and Grapple on cooldown". :(

I still remember the first dungeon I ran in WoW... I somehow got a level 44 killed in deadmines and was kicked from my group and guild.

Good times.

2 Flashpoints (Hammer Station and Athiss) and two times the same vanguard tank. First I thought he wears same kinky event armor set or some cartel market armor.. long cape etc. He was wearing green guardian armor with strength. a lot of it.

most of the time he just stood there and did nothing

pulled groups with hammer shot

used mortar volley only on single targets

when a mob came near him he ran away

Sure my first idea was.. ok he's new maybe playing for the first time.. np

but his legacy name was "the awesomeness" really.. which newbie names his legacy that way?

[i am too lazy to refer always to 'his or her' so ladies please forgive me]

Edited by lordfzoid

Almost every group finder romp I do seems to include quite a few weird people including myself. I really prefer 2 manning flashpoints with comps and a good friend. That way we can take in the sights, scavenge, dance with our comps and each other and just have fun while succeeding at the FP and not be rushed or hassled by anyone. Note I am new, so these are like lvl 30's fp's.

My main is an immo spec'd jugg and I am learning to tank. A lot of it is fp-specific. So in the process I am learning the FP's by cuing as dps. Funny enough there is quite often a dps cued as a tank. So I end up tanking and he ends up dpsing anyways. But I still get to learn the FP's without people hammering on me if I miss a beat tanking.

Had myself an interesting run of Mandalorian Raiders HM on my Shadow tank earlier this afternoon.

Shadows seem a bit squishy on 2.0, at least compared to the Guardian, so I tend to pull a bit more carefully and with more generous use of cooldowns. We had a DPS dropping out at the start, nothing unusual, and clearing the way proceeded as it normally would. Along the way our healer started asking to be guarded - a request I generally don't pay attention to. In hard modes I prefer to keep aggro on myself and with only a 66 hilt I therefore guard the hardest hitting DPS.

So we come up on one of the nastier pulls. The one where you go through a door, a strong mob will come running at you (which can be pulled separately), and the mobs on the next pull will spawn adds from a blast door on the left. Much as it usually happens, a DPS manages to pull both the running strong mob and the group behind. I AoE taunt, pop Deflection, throw Slow Time and proceed to spam Force Breach and Whirling Blow. I die. Afterwards our healer tells us she won't be healing me until she's guarded. Sounding an awful lot like an ultimatum effectively holding the party hostage until she gets her way. I simply reply that I won't be guarding a healer in a 55 HM.

I try the pull again, pretty much same approach. Now guarding the 31k HP Sentinel that joined us as a replacement for the dropout from earlier. Receiving no heals whatsoever. The inevitable vote kick of the healer fails, leaving me no choice but to abandon the run and sticking the healer and both DPS on ignore.

I wonder what might have happened had I kept at it until the first boss, Braxx the Bloodhound...

As a courtesy I normally oblige until I notice a DPS constantly stealing aggro at which time I just throw a guard in the middle of the fight on whoever steals aggro. Most healers will not know the difference anyway.

I am still learning a lot in this game, I am not a native english speaker so some stuff takes a lot of time to learn.

For someone who is not a native English speaker, you have an excellent grasp of the language. I would have never been able to tell. Very impressive. I think that you have better grammar and punctuation than a lot of native English speakers lol. :)

Yesterday, 8 men TFB SM. We passed first 2 boss without an incident but 2 people dropped after the first wipe in Operator IX. We got 2 replacements from GF. One of them said he never did this before so we spent 10 minutes explaining him what to do. I think it was a bit unfortunate that he got blue so he had to go first. Anyway as you'd guess he did not get into the circle instead started randomly attacking stuff. Everybody was typing like crazy for him to move into the circle but he didn't. Someone even force pulled him into the circle but he left it asap. People were shouting, cursing in the chat but nothing. He ran around in random circles. We managed to hold it for like 5 minutes all this time shouting and trying to make him move. We wiped out disbanded the group.

I still don't know why he was not reading the chat or if he was reading why not responding.

Went on a FP run (Mandalorian Rage, I think) just for fun with a couple other DPS. We were 5+ levels above it, and our vanguard had his healer comp, so it should've been easy.

He would not summon his companion until I told him to three times. And when he finally summoned, he got Aric, so I had to tell him one MORE time, to have Elara. Our sentinel was still traveling, and the vanguard just runs ahead in and dies. Of course, I die too.

The sentinel arrives, and while he's noobish, he is willing to learn, and takes any advice I give him.

So I spend the FP trying to teach them both (Sent who listens, van who does not), and trying to keep up with the both of them continuously running ahead alone, when the van says this is too hard, and exits the area.

I had run a heroic before with this van, and he had run ahead, died, asked for res, and when we wouldn't do it he res'd himself, and ran ahead past two more mobs while stealthed. And then asked us why we, three mobs away, were not helping him. We just left him there.

So I suppose, knowing this guy, I should've known better...I have more luck with GF then with people I know from starting planet :rolleyes:

Huh. Well that is... more trivia about Shadow/Assassin tanking than I ever thought I'd learn, haha. :p

But he was trying to DPS and wasn't even spec'd into Harnessed Shadows (not joking, because I got bored with the incredibly long kill times and started watching his buffs every time he Project'd; I never even saw 1 stack of the HS icon). Instead he was just religiously avoiding melee range and TK Throw'ing on cooldown.

It was like a Sage trapped in a Shadow's body.

Rofl this made my day.

This is actually more of a second hand weirdness story.

I was running Mandalorian Raiders HM on my SIN tank. After the first pull, the healer goes: "Oh, good, you use Wither."

So I'm all "Wait, what, why wouldn't I use Wither?"

And he replies that the last SIN tank Group Finder got him refused to use Wither or Discharge as they 'ruined his rotation' and kept Overloading on cooldown instead.

I just sort of stood there for a moment, gobsmacked.

I had a Sorcerer in my Colicoid War Game group the other day who seemed to be very new to the game — she was very disoriented by the cannon section and we needed to keep covering her to prevent her dying (she kept accidentally dismounting). Did awesome Lightning DPS, though.

Anyway, when we got to the last section she was incredibly excited that she could use Slicing to open the cage door and get a pet Akk Dog. She then went on and on in chat about how much she loved her new "puppy" and announced in party chat that she had given it a name. This continued through the Arena Beasts and up to Annihilator 6K-A2, at which point she asked if the Akk Dog was permanent and would stay with her after the FP.

I gently explained the akk dog would get itself incinerated within a few seconds once the boss started putting down ground fire, and she was traumatized. She told me to switch to DPS (I was healing) so she could heal and the dog wouldn't charge in and get killed. We gently explained that guardian pets will run in the second she takes random damage from the boss.

So she begged me to keep her Akk Dog healed through the fire. I said I would try. Even though it cost our Operative DPS his life because I was distracted spamming Kolto Injection on an akk dog, alas, I could not keep the dog alive through the fire it was sitting in.

Upon seeing her pet akk dog die, the Sorc /yelled "Noooooooooooo" and expressed grieving emoticons in party chat. As soon as the boss died, she ran up and performed /cry emotes over her akk dog before /kneeling and asking to be left alone.

One of my weird runs actually got me into the guild I'm in today, I joined a run in progress (HM 50 Boarding Party pre 2.0), usually a bad sign, the tank was one of those dps who queued as tank because it was faster, I recommended he not do that and that I'd go ahead with it, but if sh** hit the fan I'd leave. Things went smoothly, not because of the dps/tank, even when I told him to just go dps he did a lot of standing around moved slowly and was magneticlly drawn to CC, but the marauder knew what he was doing and we got through without deaths or wipes. From there he invited me to my first TFB run, and now I've a happy guaranteed healer spot in the guild.

As to the dps pulling thing, I really don't care as long as it doesn't get me killed and if the tank's being slow, however if it starts annoying the tank (and they aren't a bad tank) I will stop healing rushing dps on request (if I can help myself). I'm used to some friendly dps/tank competition for tanking in our guild so a dps taking some dmg spikes isn't world ending.

I like threads like this that manage to stay in good fun, we're all baddies sometimes, I've gotten groups killed on my sorc healer just because I'm not as comfortable with her healing style (you mean I can't move and heal?! and oh sh** I just life gripped the tank) I also got one of our main tanks killed while on my operative at HM Hammer Station's first boss, because I had the wrong person targeted and kept flubbing my F2 button.