BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Great, now we at least know that the developers took the time and effort to read this (these ?) thread(s). However, I too, would like to point out that simply giving this class an escape ability in itself will not provide enough incentive for ranked teams to pick a commando/merc dps over a sniper/gunslinger. How do I know that? I asked my fellow team members: "Hey guys, if my Commando could suddenly use Force Speed and run away from tough situations will you allow me to bring it to ranked pvp?" Guess what the answer was? "No."

Even if I had a Combat Sprint like ability, the first Sentinel/Mara who force kicks my Grav Round/Tracer will screw the rotation. No proc for Demo Round or HIB. Firing Full Auto then, but sadly it falls victim to another interrupt. No matter, I will interrupt his Master Strike instead with my brand new Disrupting Shot! Oh wait...I can't....Fuuuuuuuuuu

As I've stated this in many threads before, you need to give some kind of insurance that no matter what the class can use the skill its entire rotation is based upon.

Snipers can spec into Snap Shot which makes their core skill, Snipe, activate instantly (all you need to do is stand up and crouch every 6 second and bamm....instant Snipe every time.) Followthrough is instant and not interruptible (in fact it's so instant that I can hit enemies with Followthrough that I have already killed with Snipe or Ambush!) Oh yeah and Ambush, you can spec into that as well and take a whole second off it's cd. Hell why not, give them an offensive cooldown that makes their Snipe insta crit. And one that increases their accuracy just for good measure.

And one that removes the cd on SoS. And since they're stationary....make them immune to Force Leap and put a root on their KB. Hell, why not just make every skill immune to interrupts while used in cover?

Why can't you give an ability (e.g. Entrench) that makes Commandos immune to being jumped while active? Then you could make channeled and activated skills immune to interrupts while "Entrenched". And give an offensive cd that makes the first grav round/tracer autocrit? And allow us to spec into activation time reduction on Grav/Tracer. Give them another offensive cd to boost accuracy (like Target Acquired) to boost the white dmg of Full Auto/Unload.

Put a root effect on Concussion Charge (Snipers have AoE KB AND root need I remind you) and put the 30-meter range back on Cryo grenade. (I still don't get it why you let Snipers and Gunslingers keep the 30-meter range on their stun but nerfed the stun for Commandos/Mercs.)

Then we can talk about a versatile and useful class that is on par with other DPS classes and can be an asset in a ranked team.

Yours truly.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think instead of Powershot and Unload having a chance to proc the Prototype Rail shot, change it from needing powershot to Missile Blast. Missile Blast is high heat but can be spammable and is more or less instant which will make procing the combustible gas cylinder and the rail shot far better then a channeled cast for Powershot.

I keep reading about "give us instant this/that." Truth is, they will not ever give us anymore instant attack abilities. We are a "Ranged" class. Which means we must cast our dmg abilities. Do you guys not remember how VG Assault/PT Pyro played? They could do half of their dmg rotation from 30m out. Give that to merc and they will be the next fotm. I'm not talking about arsenal here... I do not know anything about that AC. But if they buff Merc/Commando Pyro/Assault, that's how I feel it will result. I'm not against buffs but it will just keep feeding the vicious cycle. Just undo the 1.4 changes and give us a real reliable snare and let our knockback root like sages/sorcs. Done.

not instant, grav round/tracer missile should have a way to be uninterruitble like snipers do, since both are supposed to be stationary

Great, now we at least know that the developers took the time and effort to read this (these ?) thread(s). However, I too, would like to point out that simply giving this class an escape ability in itself will not provide enough incentive for ranked teams to pick a commando/merc dps over a sniper/gunslinger. How do I know that? I asked my fellow team members: "Hey guys, if my Commando could suddenly use Force Speed and run away from tough situations will you allow me to bring it to ranked pvp?" Guess what the answer was? "No."

Even if I had a Combat Sprint like ability, the first Sentinel/Mara who force kicks my Grav Round/Tracer will screw the rotation. No proc for Demo Round or HIB. Firing Full Auto then, but sadly it falls victim to another interrupt. No matter, I will interrupt his Master Strike instead with my brand new Disrupting Shot! Oh wait...I can't....Fuuuuuuuuuu

As I've stated this in many threads before, you need to give some kind of insurance that no matter what the class can use the skill its entire rotation is based upon.

Snipers can spec into Snap Shot which makes their core skill, Snipe, activate instantly (all you need to do is stand up and crouch every 6 second and bamm....instant Snipe every time.) Followthrough is instant and not interruptible (in fact it's so instant that I can hit enemies with Followthrough that I have already killed with Snipe or Ambush!) Oh yeah and Ambush, you can spec into that as well and take a whole second off it's cd. Hell why not, give them an offensive cooldown that makes their Snipe insta crit. And one that increases their accuracy just for good measure.

And one that removes the cd on SoS. And since they're stationary....make them immune to Force Leap and put a root on their KB. Hell, why not just make every skill immune to interrupts while used in cover?

Why can't you give an ability (e.g. Entrench) that makes Commandos immune to being jumped while active? Then you could make channeled and activated skills immune to interrupts while "Entrenched". And give an offensive cd that makes the first grav round/tracer autocrit? And allow us to spec into activation time reduction on Grav/Tracer. Give them another offensive cd to boost accuracy (like Target Acquired) to boost the white dmg of Full Auto/Unload.

Put a root effect on Concussion Charge (Snipers have AoE KB AND root need I remind you) and put the 30-meter range back on Cryo grenade. (I still don't get it why you let Snipers and Gunslingers keep the 30-meter range on their stun but nerfed the stun for Commandos/Mercs.)

Then we can talk about a versatile and useful class that is on par with other DPS classes and can be an asset in a ranked team.

Yours truly.

Very much agree with an entrench ability. We should have had that a LONG time ago.

Little tweak to you auto-crit on Tracer. Would rather have an autocrit plus 15% damage on the next HSM. Tha'ts supposed to be our finishing attack and make up for not having a finishing blow move...hey, another thing that snipers have and we don't. If we don't bring something unique to the table, then we should at least be as good as our other ranged dps class. So far they have much better knockback, much better stun capabilities, much better AE capabilities, much better defensive abilities, much better burst dos abilities.

Not sure if mentioned before, but another solution might be to make TM instant cast but put a cooldown on it thats equal to the current castime. That would make it uninteruptable, allowing BH's to build stacks, making UL the one interupts would be throw against.. aka "our big hit".

Currently, it seems a bit broken.. most classes if you interupt them have other attacks they can throw into the mix, however if TM is caught early.. it shuts down the specs ability to do any real damage.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Edit: I see its been mentioned already, carry on.

Edited by SammuelSK

Yours truly.

You clearly don't understand the sniper/GS class.

First, snapshot is a pretty useless ability. Guess how much damage an instant snipe does followed by a channeled snipe? The same amount of damage -- in the same amount of time -- as two channeled snipes, because the global cooldown still applies. The only difference is the first snipe is slightly frontloaded by 1.5 seconds. Well, that's situationally useful -- you just got into cover and want to finish someone off, and takedown is on cooldown -- but that's pretty unusual.

Second, getting into cover takes a global cooldown, so you'd actually be HURTING your DPS by moving in and out of cover to get snapshot . (It might be worth it to reset ballistic dampers, but that has nothing to do with snapshot).

Third, extra accuracy is useless for snipers. Gear is loaded with it and the periodic extra 30% is useful only to make it marginally more likely that you'll hit through Obfuscate or against a Knight with Saber Ward up. It's NOT useless to Gunslingers, since their offhand benefits from the accuracy, which is what I guess you really want, since mercs duel-wield. Mind, lack of damage is not what's wrong with the Merc class --- Arsenal is fine in PVE.

Fourth, you can have the sniper stun. Its range is FOUR meters. Enjoy!

Why don't you come up with fixes for Mercs that don't involve "making them more like snipers." Snipers already exist in the game.

Edited by stringcat

Not sure if mentioned before, but another solution might be to make TM instant cast but put a cooldown on it thats equal to the current castime. That would make it uninteruptable, allowing BH's to build stacks, making UL the one interupts would be throw against.. aka "our big hit".

Currently, it seems a bit broken.. most classes if you interupt them have other attacks they can throw into the mix, however if TM is caught early.. it shuts down the specs ability to do any real damage.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Edit: I see its been mentioned already, carry on.

Thats a good idea but after that the only other ability that cant be stopped is Rail Shot so it would just take Arsenal back to square one with TM spamming once again. That would be a good start in fixing the mobility of the class though.

I think instead of asking for changes to make us essentially the same as snipers, we should try and go with a different direction with our play style.

Tracers should be made uninterruptible and a moving cast. It can still be disrupted by hard stuns, kbs and mezz. In doing so we can adopt a run and gun kiting gameplay different to snipers, and give us a fighting chance because honestly, every time I'm caught by melee as an arsenal The Only thing I can do is attempt kiting and fire off ticklish attacks. In situations without terrain advantages there is no way to get any meaningful casts off and leaves us dead in the water.

Another thing to consider would be instant cast tracers with a 4 sec cool down. Removing the spam factor and grants us more mobility.

Second, getting into cover takes a global cooldown, so you'd actually be HURTING your DPS by moving in and out of cover to get snapshot . (It might be worth it to reset ballistic dampers, but that has nothing to do with snapshot).

Nope, it's off the GCD, so marksmanship snipers can pop into cover and fire off an instant Snipe, then get up and use Followthrough on the run without losing DPS; they can also toss out a quick Explosive Probe when they feel they need it.

Also, something that bothers me to no end is the fact that my gunslinger actually has more damage mitigation capability than my commando BECAUSE Ballistic Dampers can be reset so frequently; I just need to remember to step out of and back into cover about every six seconds, and I've got an awesome passive shield.

Fourth, you can have the sniper stun. Its range is FOUR meters. Enjoy!

They were probably referring to the mez. Frankly, I'd be happy with an instant activation for Concussive Round/Concussion Missile, like what balance sages/corruption sorcerers get for Force Lift/Whirlwind.

I think instead of asking for changes to make us essentially the same as snipers, we should try and go with a different direction with our play style.

Tracers should be made uninterruptible and a moving cast. It can still be disrupted by hard stuns, kbs and mezz. In doing so we can adopt a run and gun kiting gameplay different to snipers, and give us a fighting chance because honestly, every time I'm caught by melee as an arsenal The Only thing I can do is attempt kiting and fire off ticklish attacks. In situations without terrain advantages there is no way to get any meaningful casts off and leaves us dead in the water.

Another thing to consider would be instant cast tracers with a 4 sec cool down. Removing the spam factor and grants us more mobility.

Agreed.

Spec'd as Assault/Pyro where you can run and gun really improves the PvP utility. But there is still the survivability problem. Some say there should be better escape options like the sage but things like sprint and stealth can be countered, they don't keep you hp up unless the attacker loses interest, and they don't fit the class.

They need to fix the Armor somehow. I feel like I'm wearing light armor, not heavy. In the DPS trees damage can make a difference if it's got time to ramp up (either bypassing armor or DOTS). If we could survive more than 2 hits we'd be much better off.

Im a huge fan of trooper i have both a commando and a vanguard,the commando was my first character since the early game acces and still playing him.Im also from spain so my english isnt perfect.

The problem with commando its not only the escape tools thing,we lack survability in form of cooldowns or a mechanic,heavy armor its crap since almost all classes have debuffs for that or damage types that ignore armor we have just 1 defensive cooldown wich is good but once you use it you can say bye,give us more defensive cooldowns or passive habilities some kind of ENTRENCH with setup time or let us the use of natural cover we are soldiers we would be able to take cover someway or something like that. some classes have stealth with good defensive cooldowns or heals (shadow/sin scoundrel/operative) some others have strong defensive cooldowns like the jedi melee classes and please dont tell me oh they are melee they are always on the open and in the hearth of the fight....thats where we are too but with no escape tools no cooldowns and with a big easy kill on top of our head some others have defensive mechanics (sniper cover) imo the commando class needs a complete redesign not just adding some crap escape ability because after a few secs we will have another melee guy on top of us interrupting all of our good stuff

Not when mele are on them.

This. Yes, we can dish out a ton of damage when ignored, but every class can do that. We do need an escape mechanism or something similar to saber reflect for our armor. Commando utility is absolute crap and survivability has to be the lowest in the game.

Channeled. Interrupts prevent that from being a feasible 'escape' or survival tactic.

Power Surge > Concussion Missle

Jet Boost > Unload (Arsenal) That's like 120% movement speed reduction... makes them walk backwards right? (lol) :p

Rocket Punch > Disabling Shot / Cure (if needed)

Electro Dart still stands as great.

Jet Boost > Unload (Arsenal) That's like 120% movement speed reduction... makes them walk backwards right? (lol) :p

lol! If the cooldown on Tech Override was lower, it would be more feasible.

lol! If the cooldown on Tech Override was lower, it would be more feasible.

Hey between all those defensive tactics somethings gotta' be off cooldown.

Besides, I feel with the Arsenal is the 'support' DPS spec anyway. What with the tracer armor reduction and all.

I swear. If BW was reading all these posts they'd be this close to giving the Merc a 'Vanish'.

This. Yes, we can dish out a ton of damage when ignored, but every class can do that. We do need an escape mechanism or something similar to saber reflect for our armor. Commando utility is absolute crap and survivability has to be the lowest in the game.

Vanguards survivability is lower at this point in time. They have to be melee and have minimal dcd unlike the other melee classes.

If you played PVP at all you would know that this is not realistic. And disabling shot wont stop Ravage not to mention its on a 12s cooldown. A marauder can jump into a pack of 4 guys and kill them all if he is skilled. It is impossible to survive if two mele are attacking a merc...even if they are noobs in recruit gear,

Nope, it's off the GCD, so marksmanship snipers can pop into cover and fire off an instant Snipe, then get up and use Followthrough on the run without losing DPS; they can also toss out a quick Explosive Probe when they feel they need it.

Also, something that bothers me to no end is the fact that my gunslinger actually has more damage mitigation capability than my commando BECAUSE Ballistic Dampers can be reset so frequently; I just need to remember to step out of and back into cover about every six seconds, and I've got an awesome passive shield.

No, it's on hte GCD. FOLLOWTHROUGH is off the GCD, but that doesn't make snapshot better than a very meh skill.