Are Sages viable for PvP yet?

Curmedy

So I joined this community and signed up a year ago, and loved the start of the game and missions. The warzones and different game types were awesome and I loved how they made them team orientated. My problem however was that Sages weren't viable or even remotely competitive (with any build) in 1v1 situations, or holding their own when getting rushed at. They would have to run away or get help, otherwise they'd be dead meat. People kept saying that they had to buff their dps and/or survivability in order to become competitive again. This was going on months ago, and I had to quit playing for a long period of time about 6 months ago due to personal matters and not enough time. I am now finding free time and want to start playing again, but am curious whether or not anything has changed with sages since I've been gone?

But what I'm asking in particular is when let's say defending an area by yourself as a dps sage, if someone came up trying to take it could you successfully defeat that person? Or would you HAVE to run?

Depends on player skill, yours and the attacker. Sages are fine in PvP, DPS wise. Would I let a Sage defend a node? Well, lol no.

There is a rock for every scissors for every piece of paper.

If all things are equal (gear, skill, etc.), there are some classes where the answer is just simply: No.

Most cases where I've been left to defend a node, I can kite 3 or so players around long enough to allow for reinforcements & do well in 1v1 situations. If its a PT high burst DPS, or a high DPS assassin, I'm usually toast.

There is a rock for every scissors for every piece of paper.

If all things are equal (gear, skill, etc.), there are some classes where the answer is just simply: No.

Most cases where I've been left to defend a node, I can kite 3 or so players around long enough to allow for reinforcements & do well in 1v1 situations. If its a PT high burst DPS, or a high DPS assassin, I'm usually toast.

I think there's your answer: it can often be a sin or PT guarding the node. Why send a sage to try and take a node? The logic follows: if sages can't take a node, surely they can't defend one either?

That isn't true all the time of course, but the logic's there.

• 2 weeks later...
I think there's your answer: it can often be a sin or PT guarding the node. Why send a sage to try and take a node? The logic follows: if sages can't take a node, surely they can't defend one either?

That isn't true all the time of course, but the logic's there.

I can't agree with this logic, a healer or a tank can hold a node for long periods of time but cannot really capture an opponents one, and in the case of this thread, well a sage can spec healer. Also a dps sage can capture a node if the other team takes too long to respond to an inc call, in other words dps sages can capture a node but they take longer than other classes due to lack of burst which has been raised by the community.

Edited by MusicRider

IMHO a sage can solo guard a turret particularly if hybrid specced and has a permanent bubblestun on to avoid stealth attacks. In fact I think that a dps sage is the class that can hold the longest out of the dps classes on 1v1 if played perfectly well as there are LOS hideouts in every turret for kiting. OK maybe exaggerating here a bit but the point is that a well-played sage can take a long time to be killed. But this is the problem as well, it is not a forgiving class at all, mistakes are rather costly and much more difficult to recover from. A good sage can take a while to kill, a bad sage on the other hand is the fastest to kill. Would I like a sage solo guarding a turret, no because I think a stealth class can perform better in guarding and because sages particularly the hybrid ones have team utility which is better used within a group and also for the forementioned reasons it is a russian roulette. However, if two guards are needed then a sage is a perfectly viable option. Edited by MusicRider

• 2 weeks later...

To the original poster,

Think of a DPS build sage as artillery. Sages stand in the rear area and support the forward advancing troops. Force in Balance, Weaken Mind, and if PoM procs Mind Crush are all instant cast. Use them to reveal stealthers or interrupt.

Personally, I use a 1/12/28 build and love it.

They are viable, yes they can be squishy but we can put out good dps and support heals. Our bubble is our friend. I am full balance dps spec and I like the mobility, and I think thats the key keep moving. I can beat a decent jug/mau if I kite him well, but as soon as two or more people are on me then I am good as dead. If you like thje play style stick with it, I find it very rewarding.

Depends on player skill, yours and the attacker. Sages are fine in PvP, DPS wise. Would I let a Sage defend a node? Well, lol no.

um, false

seeing as toe to toe a sorc/sage would lose any dps race with any other dps class

sorc/sages left alone in a good group will put up big total dmg numbers but 1v1 u need to forget dmg and use ur cc rotation to stay safe until helps comes

A lot of 50+ PvP is gear related, period. I have Sentinel and Shadows alts who were no more competitive in level 50 PvP until they got the second level of post 50 PvP gear. Knowing how to play your class well matters, but no one in recruit gear can compete against a competent player in augmented Enhanced War Hero gear. It's just not a fair fight.

And stealth capability is always going to be a huge advantage for good solo defending, since adding in that element of tactics makes 1 v 1 much easier.