Another Tracer Missile Thread

Arynai

It's channelled.

It can be Los'ed.

It is really our only significant damage ability that most other abilities use.

The damage is actually even or less than a lot of ranged classes.

We are easily shut down.

On another note 4 marauders jumped me and I died in half a second. Nerf marauders?

After several pages, those threads tend to get so cluttered by meaningless posts such as yours, it becomes impossible to have a real discussion amidst all of the garbage. So people start new ones. This is how forums work.

You mean full of bad players crying about a skill? Yes, you are right. Those threads are full of them. They are also full of others telling them they suck so they go start thread #27847893748927847280 so they can feel unique.

It's channelled.

It can be Los'ed.

It is really our only significant damage ability that most other abilities use.

The damage is actually even or less than a lot of ranged classes.

We are easily shut down.

On another note 4 marauders jumped me and I died in half a second. Nerf marauders?

Ikr people are mad because they lose 1v4. Thats beyond laughable.

You've already proven that you can't contribute anything except mindless dribble to the discussion so you should avoid making yourself look like more of a fool by continuing. I'm not going to get any responses to my opinion if I post on page 38 of any of the other TM threads.

Jones hit the nail on the head, the problem lies with the design of the tree. While I seriously doubt that BioWare would consider reworking an entire class tree either out of fear of losing Merc subscriptions or simply because they're proud of the Arsenal tree and wouldn't want to touch it.

Whatever the issue is, the main problem is the class design and not the ability itself. While Tracer Missile itself does have it's problems, it would be solved almost entirely by taking the emphasis off of it and making the damage rotation focus on other things as well.

And I will keep contributing to your useless thread as well. You keep claiming you are not saying it's overpowered. You keep claiming it's bad design and should be changed. You don't play the class.

So here's a questions for you.

Why do you care if it has no effect on you.

Answer: You are whining in disguise.

Edited by Qilz

The last paragraph is so true. Sadly, this game isnt about skill from any class, I think I've finally come to terms with that. In other games if you were good at your class you could go 2v1 with people and still win, assuming the other 2 people were mediocre. But, here, do to the 10k plus cd's that everyone has, it's impossible to show true skill. You can't survive 12 seconds of stuns/roots and come out on top... Same with multiple mercs on you, even 2 on you and you won't survive. On my marauder i've had 5 people just clobber me and during that 5 seconds of living i had 3 stuns on me...and i see the assassin use his knockback after im dead, glad stuns and knockbacks are part of peoples dps rotation, isnt it obvious these skills arent on too short of a CD?

Couldn't agree more. There's no variety in the gameplay. You can't show your true skill with your class... The PvP was not created this way. There's no way that you can 1v2 and live through it.

I personally can't stand the skill, I go out of my way to take out Tracer/Grav spammers. I especially like interrupting the bads and watch them run around aimlessly for a few secondsbecause they have no idea what to do in the interim.

I don't mind that some classes are easier to play than others, that can't be helped really. Ranged will always have the advantage over meele, especially in areas like Huttball. I think mercs are a class that somebody who is totally new to MMO's can pick up, do well, and learn the basics.

Regardless, I do feel that nine times out of ten a skilled player will beat a bad one. At least till 50, when it's all about the gears.

I have played Commando, Shadow, and Sentinel.

My personal experience is that while GR>GR>GR>GR>GR>HIB>GR>GR> etc... is very powerful, as soon as another player gets in my face it becomes pointless. Only when I'm on a walkway or otherwise left forgotten in the corner do I really dish out extreme damage.

So then we all agree it isn't about nerfing Tracer Missle, it is about reworking the ENTIRE Arsenal tree. So long as that is the discussion, then continue.

If you are just wanting a nerf to the TM ability, you deserve every TM you receive whether or not you can beat the BH.

Until the TM ability is adjusted to a longer debuff along with additional heat or a cool down, each and every Arsenal merc will continue to use it as often as their heat can afford. The debuff lasts 15 seconds and when being interupted/stunned regularly combined with 3 second timers for many of the big hitting abilities the BH is forced to go back to TM just to keep the debuff on the target. God forbid that debuff drop and you are looking at three TM in a row to put it back on target, again that is before the interupts and stuns.

Tracer/Grav is fine in 1v1 but I laugh at anyone who thinks that 1v1 is worth anything in a game balanced around group v group combat. This is very important here as this game does not cater to the e-peens of Solo Heroes who expect to be carried by a bunch of randoms like in CoD or Halo. It rewards team players (Like a PvP game should).

The easiest way to fix Tracer/Grav would be to so one or any combination of the below:

1) Stick a minimum range on ranged abilities so that ranged classes are no longer really MDPS and are actually punished for letting a melee class get to them in group vs group.

2) Get rid of auto-face so it's actually possible to LoS an RDPS in group v group combat. Nine times out of ten you're going to be pretty much forced to eat 3 Tracer Missiles/Grav Rounds plus the finishers at melee range if you aren't a Watchman Spec Sentinel or whatever the Marauder mirror is. All the other MDPS classes are pretty much out of luck as soon as the interrupt is on KB against an RDPS class.

3) Make knockbacks fill up the Resolve gauge. It will stop of the the stupid "[insert melee class here that really doesn't need a buff like Scoundrel or Sentinel] are underpowered!" topics too. Again this isn't bad at all if you happen to be a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior but all the other MDPS classes are really screwed over by KBs not giving resolve.

4) Take away the insane lag compensation that allows ranged attacks with a projectile element to follow you around corners and out of range. This is most noticeable when fighting a Jedi Consular or a Mercenary. Ranged attacks should not follow you around corners and 60m away because the other guy has high ping and it's silly to punish people with low ping for that. (It's basically like high ping Snipers in TF2 or the lag compensation in general in Halo or MW3)

And I will keep contributing to your useless thread as well. You keep claiming you are not saying it's overpowered. You keep claiming it's bad design and should be changed. You don't play the class.

So here's a questions for you.

Why do you care if it has no effect on you.

Answer: You are whining in disguise.

I would like for you to point out to me how my thread is useless in any way whatsoever, I dare you in fact. I created it to have a discussion and that's what we're having, and so far it's been pretty good. We've talked about some aspects of the class that could use changing and how to go about that without making the Arsenal spec useless. I've seen the problems that the spec creates and at times I've had to deal with them myself, you don't win them all. Whether or not I've played the class makes no difference.

How ironic, if I'm whining then I'd hate to hear what it's called that you're doing with your constant complaining about the simple fact that I created this thread.

And put a question mark at the end of your questions, that's embarassing.

So then we all agree it isn't about nerfing Tracer Missle, it is about reworking the ENTIRE Arsenal tree. So long as that is the discussion, then continue.

If you are just wanting a nerf to the TM ability, you deserve every TM you receive whether or not you can beat the BH.

Until the TM ability is adjusted to a longer debuff along with additional heat or a cool down, each and every Arsenal merc will continue to use it as often as their heat can afford. The debuff lasts 15 seconds and when being interupted/stunned regularly combined with 3 second timers for many of the big hitting abilities the BH is forced to go back to TM just to keep the debuff on the target. God forbid that debuff drop and you are looking at three TM in a row to put it back on target, again that is before the interupts and stuns.

Precisely. That's the stance I'm taking, and as I said in an earlier post, I support doing this with trees even for my own class (Focus tree for Guardian). I don't support any dumbed down play that achieves success with little effort. Mercenaries deserve to do DPS, I don't want them to take a damage hit, I just want a little bit more to be necessary to achieve what (right now) any incompetent player is capable of. Frankly, I currently cannot distinguish between a good Merc and a bad Merc, because if they're Arsenal spec, they're all doing the exact same thing. With any other class, I can tell pretty quickly if the player is skilled and know if I'm going to have a hard time. Arsenal Mercenaries are just a blur. No idea if I'm fighting a 15-year veteran PvP god or a 10-year old on his dad's account. Can't tell the difference and I disapprove of that.

Edited by vindianajones

QFT.

If you can't beat a Merc using nothing but Tracer Missile as a Marauder please just uninstall the game.

Missed the part where I already addressed that.

I'll also clear up that as a Marauder I have had no problems taking down Mercenaries in my time PvPing. I've beaten my fair share in Ilum and in Warzones, looks like I should have included that in my OP. That by no means disqualifies me from bringing them up in any way.

How is everyone spamming TM at lower levels without overheating? When do they get the heat disperse for missiles? 27? 28?

Possible exploit detected (or you know, lies).

Its more than likely people are dying to more than tracer spam. AKA the mercs other teammates. People just see a merc and rage for some reason or another.

As a merc I don't find the ability to overpowering when I am 1 of maybe 2 mercs in a warzone. Once you sack several of us into a match, yeah it becomes crazy, but so does stacking sorcerers, sages, snipers etc.

Whether its infact OP or not, I could care less about. It is a stupid ability to base a class that DUAL WIELDS pistols on. Tracer missile should be there, on a longer cooldown and its debuff/buffs should be rolled into other abilities. As it is now its the most boring tactic I have played in a PVP match. 95% if the time I am on my Assassin now. I will occasionally pull out the BH if republic grows a set and fights us out in the open, imbalance or not.

Bioware you need to step up and redesign the arsenal tree to be more gun centric. If not rip the extra pistol away because the class should have been designed for its main abilities to be pistol.

Edited by Fallensbane

If you cannot kill a missle spamming merc or a grav rounding commando, you are the worst player in history. I'll help you out some, even though I have a post on this very subject:

Interrupt.

LoS.

Take advantage of the fact that they have no way to run away from trouble. They are stationary turrets.

In fact, I aim for commandos when i'm playing my Assassin. Such an easy easy kill.

Did you even read my post? I never said it was overpowered. I said it was too easy to do incredibly well with because it's a poorly designed system.

so you are complaining that it is too easy for us? this game should have been called star wars easy mode ...

this game is incredibly easy period... fyi until you have a 50's merc you have no idea, incredibly well takes more than tracer missile.

I am not by any means saying it is hard fyi, but my sorc is a LOT easier than my BH

So because your operative got a nerf and isn't able to 3 shot my commando down you're saying we need a nerf? LOL. Pretty soon no one is going to be able to do HM and NM operations because people won't stop begging for a gosh darn nerf. L2P
The Operative nerf was desperately needed, not even sure why you're bringing that up.

Looks like all the intelligent discussion is gone, all that's left is players unwilling to read any of the arguments posted in this thread and instead resort to letting the drool dripping from their chins type for them.

Got some good points in though, good stuff.

Tracer/Grav is fine in 1v1 but I laugh at anyone who thinks that 1v1 is worth anything in a game balanced around group v group combat. This is very important here as this game does not cater to the e-peens of Solo Heroes who expect to be carried by a bunch of randoms like in CoD or Halo. It rewards team players (Like a PvP game should).

The easiest way to fix Tracer/Grav would be to so one or any combination of the below:

1) Stick a minimum range on ranged abilities so that ranged classes are no longer really MDPS and are actually punished for letting a melee class get to them in group vs group.

2) Get rid of auto-face so it's actually possible to LoS an RDPS in group v group combat. Nine times out of ten you're going to be pretty much forced to eat 3 Tracer Missiles/Grav Rounds plus the finishers at melee range if you aren't a Watchman Spec Sentinel or whatever the Marauder mirror is. All the other MDPS classes are pretty much out of luck as soon as the interrupt is on KB against an RDPS class.

3) Make knockbacks fill up the Resolve gauge. It will stop of the the stupid "[insert melee class here that really doesn't need a buff like Scoundrel or Sentinel] are underpowered!" topics too. Again this isn't bad at all if you happen to be a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior but all the other MDPS classes are really screwed over by KBs not giving resolve.

4) Take away the insane lag compensation that allows ranged attacks with a projectile element to follow you around corners and out of range. This is most noticeable when fighting a Jedi Consular or a Mercenary. Ranged attacks should not follow you around corners and 60m away because the other guy has high ping and it's silly to punish people with low ping for that. (It's basically like high ping Snipers in TF2 or the lag compensation in general in Halo or MW3)

This seriously would fix SO much. That auto face crap is...well, crap, again...no skill.

I like the minimum range idea much like hunters were in WoW, imagine how ridiculous hunters would be if they had zero minmum range??!?! OG hunters, not the crap they call hunters now with more escapes than Operatives.

Yeah, knockbacks filling up resolve would be HUGE!!! Thos knockback to force lightining to hey you'reback im my face to STUN routines would be over with!

And put a question mark at the end of your questions, that's embarassing.

Oh, forgive me for missing that question mark. Whatever will I do? Is that the reason you completely skipped answering my question? (notice the question mark)

These are your points.

You want to fix the spec.

You don't play the class.

You say it's not overpowered.

So I will ask again.

Why do you care?

Worry about your own class and your own specs. This was nothing more than a very shallow attempt to stir up, yet another, nerf thread.

Edited by Qilz

The whiner cycle:

1 Die in PVP. Notice that you were getting hit by a merc that you failed to force charge, grapple, knock back, interrupt, stun, los, etc...

2 Blame death on that one single ability. Ignore the other attacks, their graphic isn't as noticeable. There is no combat log to check anyways.

3 Go to pvp forum. Ignore the 2-3 other front page posts about Tracer Missile.

4 Make new post about Tracer Missile. Pass off pointed statements of opinion as fact, "Let's face it, Tracer Missile is grossly overpowered."

5 Ignore experienced Mercs who explain to you the talents and rotations and that they obviously use more than 1 button.

6 Ignore all the experienced pvp players who admit how easy Tracer Missile is to counter, and their tips on not dying to something that is obvious, and easy to interupt.

7 Go back to step 1