Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Does anybody know the plans for Game Update 1.6? Will we finally get our well-deserved chat bubbles that we've been waiting for so long? Pretty please, Bioware, I beg you, add them to the game in Game Upsate 1.6!
Game Update 1.6 is on the test server. Unfortunately, chat bubbles still aren't part of it, according to the Patch Notes. :(

I guess we'll have to wait for Game Update 1.7 then.

Edited by Glzmo

My goodness, more than 1000 posts. I will say this much, I don't mind if they implement chat bubbles the only thing I would be concerned with is performance. The last thing I would want is a crippled experience because a bunch of folks want to bubble their words... remember the issues people were having with shadows back in 1.4? Yeah, not fun. If they ever implement chat bubbles it must be done with care.

edit: and a toggle option of course, for those who don't want to see them.

Edited by Tordos

I don't see what the big problem is, even if they lower fps i have 112, give me dam bubbles even if they lower fps by 20.

I really feel like Bioware just don't care, its Dragon age 1 > 2 all over again. bioware you are no longer my fav games dev anymore, maybe one day when you stem cell some ears.

I simply cannot believe that Chat Bubbles remain an unresolved issue.

Does anyone have any idea when this might possibly be implemented? I'm an accountant by training and trade and will not pretend to understand the intricacies of coding for MMOs. Are Chat Bubbles really all that sophisticated and/or cost-prohibitive to implement?

I simply cannot believe that Chat Bubbles remain an unresolved issue.

Does anyone have any idea when this might possibly be implemented? I'm an accountant by training and trade and will not pretend to understand the intricacies of coding for MMOs. Are Chat Bubbles really all that sophisticated and/or cost-prohibitive to implement?

Nearly ever low budget Korean f2p mmo has them, i seriously doubt it, but then again, who the f is EA hiring on its road to greedy and wealth? drops outs from college? maybe.

P.S. The elder scrolls online is using the same game engine as SWTOR but a far more advanced version, as bioware refused to get updates to the engine in the whole production time, so lets see if TESO has chat bubbles :)

Edited by AdamChattaway

How one can make Star Wars RPG without most needed RP feature? I saw three times more roleplaying during two weeks of Guild Wars 2 then in four months of SWTOR. Can you believe this? More RP in f..king Guild Wars than in Star Wars. This is ridiculous, but GW has chat bubbles so you actually can RP in there.

The biggest problem with chat bubbles, which seems to be cheerfully overlooked, is that they are unreadable in the current design of Swtor.

Head up to the fleet, near anything--the gtn, guild bank, cargo holds, QT points, PvP area--and try to pick out individual character names among the sea of same-coloured words floating at the same height above everyone's heads. Now, add full paragraphs of text, as OP requests.

Bioware has designed the game's environments to encourage players to wind up smooshed together. Chat bubbles are nightmareish in this scenario.

I *would*, however, like to have bubbles, so I'd suggest something like this:

The /say command would display speech bubbles to only players within a few meters of the player. The /yell command would have a much larger range, and would have a short lockout timer, 10 seconds or so.

Chatting in /p and /ops out of combat would show the bubbles to your party and ops.

In short, I cannot think that popping bubbles over everyone's heads is going to help visibility, and it will hurt folks suffering from lag already. But if we're maybe a bit less exuberant about all-bubbles-all-the-time, I think this can work.

I've seen screen shots from SWG.. The chat bubbles made it an even more of a cluttered mess than we have now already.

I know, some troll is gonna say "but we just want the option" blah blah blah. Get over it. This game is laggy enough without adding even more rubbish to the downstream.

A vote no from me on chat bubbles, they just get in the way. The only way I would agree with it is if they could isolate them to RP servers only.

There are better things for them to spend their time on this something aesthetic like this.

You clearly don't understand what the original post is asking for. It's an option to toggle chat bubbles on and off client side. So if you don't want to see them, you'd just make sure they are disabled in your game options and would never see a single one. Others could have them turned on and see them for all players that type something in say, yell and emote and aren't on their ignore list. So it wouldn't affect you at all, but would be a great asset to those who really want them or even need them to enjoy their game.

Just saying "no" just because you don't like them even if it wouldn't affect you at all if the option was there just seems incredibly egoistical. There are plenty of people that want them, after all. For many people this is the main reason they aren't playing TOR at the moment and can't be enjoyed at all (just check out the major RP communities if you don't believe me).

That said, back on topic:

Please, Bioware, EA, LucasArts, Disney or whoever else has the power to make it happen give us our chat bubble toggle for Lifeday/X-mas, it would be the greatest present to a great many players!

Edited by Stubacca

I'm not going to read 102 pages so sorry in advance if my opinion has already been covered a million times over:

I have been playing this game for months and have talked to maybe 4 people outside of guild chat. It's just impossible to play and keep an eye on that little box at all times to see if anyone you know is talking. Especially with all the kids barking out BS every second. I do not roll play and have very little interest in doing so. That being said, I do so long to be able to have a conversation with even one other person. I can't even think what it would be like to try and do so with a group.

Please put in the bubbles. Until you can properly comunicate with other people there will never be a community vibe. :(

"Please put in the bubbles. Until you can properly communicate with other people there will never be a community vibe."

^^^ What this guy said x 1000. ^^^

Did you notice that during the recent election both Obama and Romney refused to address the issue of Chat Bubbles? None of the debate moderators even brought it up. As a nation, why are we so reluctant to face this issue head on?

WHY???

It's time for chat bubbles in at LEAST 1.7 please. It sucks as an always in role roleplayer to have to keep having seperate tab just for say.

And also, please maybe make them viewable when the interface is hidden so we can roleplay without the ui. Thank you.

I will keep bothering until this is in. Big for a lot of folks! WHOS WITH ME!!?

Latest statement on chat bubbles:

"Those are things that have being pushed out quite abit due to the studio changes."

In another six months we will hear another BS nad still wont have chat bubbles. Its like SOE and their "smuggler love" over again. This game is RP dead.

Latest statement on chat bubbles:

"Those are things that have being pushed out quite abit due to the studio changes."

In another six months we will hear another BS nad still wont have chat bubbles. Its like SOE and their "smuggler love" over again. This game is RP dead.

Where did you find that information and who said it? Could you please link to it so I can add it to the main post?

I certainly hope that's just an unfounded rumour and and chat bubbles will be in 1.7 at latest. Bioware/EA can't be so dumb and ignore this issue much longer if they want to keep the massive influx of roleplayers that gave the game another chance due to free to play.

Edited by Glzmo