Deception Sin in PvP

foxmob

Hold on a second. When I pop Force Shroud, you'll then hit me with low slash and wait?? You do realize that Force Shroud protects from all force and tech attacks right? Your low slash won't work on a Sin that's popped it.....

http://www.torhead.com/ability/3qAwuaY/force-shroud

A tech attack would be something shot from the gun of a bounty hunter or agent, and force would be a sorcerers lightning, low slash is a basic melee spell and im not too sure where it categorizes, but im pretty sure it is possible to low slash a sin/shadow popping shroud.

Lol...you must not be very good.

Assasins EXCELL at defending a node

Assasins EXCELL at 1v1 fights

Deception Assasins probably have the best burst in the game considering the target is stunned for half of it.

Also...your theory about hybrid builds doesn't make a lick of sense.

Rofl dude i got mostly war hero and i crit no higher than 4.8-5k dmg and the sins attacks and high crits are all single target. The rage juggernauts can build up a buff to 4 stacks and when using smash, can AoE all targets around for nearly 7k EACH. so 3-4 targets gives you 20-25k dmg in a matter of 2-3 seconds.

And FYI, we suck at defending nodes, because we are super squishy,

1) yes, we're good at defending nodes, that alone doesn't make us a great class.

2) 1v1s are meaningless in team-based objective playstyle, which is what we have with WZs.

3) Deception burst is very easy to see coming and extremely easy to counter.

4) If we need hybrid builds to accomplish what our pure builds should be doing, then our pure builds aren't performing up to par.

I know exactly what a deception sin does (now, obviously), but curious what you mean by how to counter it. there's no counter for VS, S, DC, and it's impossible to deny your "backside" in this game for maul (180 degrees). all I can think of is when to stun (or cleanse if you're a force user), but interrupting a 2x voltaic roto doesn't mean a thing. they're instants. the buff is back in 1 gcd. anyway, that's my thinking. i'm curious about the counter...

edit: i've noticed the first thing everybody does no matter what I open with is stun (usually a dirty kick if sniper). what's with that? is that a smart move on their part? I generally try to pop dcds rather than fill resolve when stealthies hit my other toons. anyway...in those cases, is it still adviseable to open with voltaic? or would you rather get your voltaics in after a spike, eat/break the stun and then hit your proc'd abils?

Edited by foxmob

I know exactly what a deception sin does (now, obviously), but curious what you mean by how to counter it. there's no counter for VS, S, DC, and it's impossible to deny your "backside" in this game for maul (180 degrees). all I can think of is when to stun (or cleanse if you're a force user), but interrupting a 2x voltaic roto doesn't mean a thing. they're instants. the buff is back in 1 gcd. anyway, that's my thinking. i'm curious about the counter...

edit: i've noticed the first thing everybody does no matter what I open with is stun (usually a dirty kick if sniper). what's with that? is that a smart move on their part? I generally try to pop dcds rather than fill resolve when stealthies hit my other toons. anyway...in those cases, is it still adviseable to open with voltaic? or would you rather get your voltaics in after a spike, eat/break the stun and then hit your proc'd abils?

What I mean is that because it's easy to see coming, it makes it easier to counter. You know when it's coming though so some options are to pop defensive cooldowns, vanish, stun the assassin. Your healers should also be aware of when they are going to burst so when they see it coming, they should be ready to toss you some extra heals. A tank can guard swap to you which will make the burst feel like a lot less.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the numbers deceptions can pull of in their burst sequence, all I'm saying is that when you can see something coming, you can prepare for it a lot better than something that comes unexpectedly.

Rofl dude i got mostly war hero and i crit no higher than 4.8-5k dmg and the sins attacks and high crits are all single target. The rage juggernauts can build up a buff to 4 stacks and when using smash, can AoE all targets around for nearly 7k EACH. so 3-4 targets gives you 20-25k dmg in a matter of 2-3 seconds.

And FYI, we suck at defending nodes, because we are super squishy,

Your problem here is gear, plain and simple. Mostly war hero leads me to believe that you still have some BM, and none of your WH is optimized, hence the lower numbers. Those 7k smashes are coming from full WH, optimized players. And no, not "all targets around" will be hit for 7k. You can stop spreading pointless QQ and blatant misinformation now thanks. Here's the trick, go finish your WH, and get optimized. Then you will start seeing the 6-7k hits from Deception. In equal gear, a Deception sin should NEVER EVER EVER lose to a Rage jugg or mara. Deception is hands down the best counter to smashers in the game. Why? 30% aoe damage reduction paired with Dark Embrace gives you approximately 55% aoe damage reduction. Even against optimized smashers, you will never get smashed for 4k or more. Or use Force Shroud and take a grand total of ZERO damage. And then you hit back with not 1, not 2, maybe not even 3, but possibly 4-5 5-7k hits of your own before he gets his next smash going. Shock, Discharge, Maul all will crit for 5k+ with their respective setup done (Voltaic stacks, Maul proc, Static charges.) And while it is filler, Voltaic Slash on its own can hit for 1k or more. Pretty soon he's under 30%, and then a 5k+ Assassinate finishes the job.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the numbers deceptions can pull of in their burst sequence, all I'm saying is that when you can see something coming, you can prepare for it a lot better than something that comes unexpectedly.

I like to pull the old "Your shoes untied" trick.

Doesn't work too well on sages though, light armor shoes must not have laces :confused:.

That is just blatantly not true at all.

meh. it's kind of true. I see where he's coming from. we're relatively squishy. but any assassin can tie-up a node for quite a while with mezzes from stealth, shroud, sprint and combat stealthing.

anyway, I've been ****** similarly geared dps sages; trooper & warrior tanks are no problem; troopers in general are no problem; sents are fairly even fights; and I'm still having difficulty burning down healers (except, ironically, scoundrels, but the two I was wrecking yesterday may have just been bads). my killing blows with maul are coming in ~4k, more like 3.7k on 18-20k targets. I mox'd a few of the WZs, but I couldn't get an isolated fight, so the data was all grouped in 2-3 ppl; hard to see what I was doing in the optimized roto.

....just thinking out loud. :)

Hey there all you Decepticons (hehe that's kind of what I like calling Deception spec :D)! I don't PvP much, actually not at all, on my 50 Sin so I am just here from an informative stand point. I've been seeing that PvP Decepticon (yeah yeah ;p) specs mostly, if not all, go for Chain Shock. I guess I look at it and just wonder why? I have a 50 Madness Sorc and I have to say Chain Shock is sort of less than impressive, not in terms of damage (which is also less than impressive) but in how often it procs. So what makes Chain Shock more desirable than 9% armor pen and 6% increase to Voltaic Slash damage? Also could not quite understand the taking of Deceptive Power.

Below is the spec I am using right now, and all I really do with my Sin is pretty much PvE dailies. How do you think it would fare in PvP? Insulation vs. Entropic Field (+/-)? Lightning Reflexes (good/not?)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rcZfGrRzf0RroZc.2

I don't see any point in lightning reflexes. in my original build, I played for max effect of discharge and charge (electric execution), but if you're simply concerned about defense, I think entropic field would be more advantageous. the rest...iunno. I'm too newb to comment.