Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

To all the people who complained it's offensive:

... do you guys even know what a "hot prospect" is?

Prospect: (noun)

a) an apparent probability of advancement, success, profit, etc.

b) the outlook for the future

When a prospect is "hot," that means it is exciting, profitable, and happening or about to happen very quickly. So the term "hot prospect" means, basically, an event or opportunity that is exciting and/or profitable.

How on earth is that offensive? If the word "prospect" makes you think of something else, that's your problem. If the term means something else in urban slang, so what? Slang terms aren't universal. What, are people going to get all huffy and run screaming to their safe spaces because of some imaginary "discrimination"? (By the way - I'm female.) If you're the kind to be seriously offended by a sever name, you have bigger issues to worry about. Like someone else pointed out - "The Fatman" was sooooo offensive. I'm sure various other servers (Ebon Hawk, Red Eclipse etc.) are horrifically offensive to all of two people, as well. Let's censor ALL the server names so NOBODY can be offended in the month before merges! :rolleyes: (And we can't just rename them "East Coast" and "West Coast." That's VERY offensive to people who are, say, from the West Coast playing on the East Coast, and vice versa!! /sarcasm off now)

Now, is "The Hot Prospect" a silly name? Yeah; it does sound kind of goofy. I'm glad it got changed, sure...but it's not offensive. Geez, you snowflakes...

This is a very naive way of looking at things. Obviously there are certain slang terms you wouldn't want as YOUR server name if those terms happen to be used a certain way more often than what their dictionary definitions say they mean. Get real.

Edited by Signalights

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I thought the name was hilarious, I understand why people were upset, and why Bioware changed it. They're a company, and prefer to err on the side of caution - and the name absolutely does conjure up some interesting thoughts - hence why I found it so goofy/funny.

While I thought the name was hilarious, I understand why people were upset, and why Bioware changed it. They're a company, and prefer to err on the side of caution - and the name absolutely does conjure up some interesting thoughts - hence why I found it so goofy/funny.

This is of course why the devs themselves found the name hilarious. It is a sexual innuendo. And that's fine, I actually don't mind those kind of jokes myself. But there is a time and a place for them, and naming an entire server that everyone on the west coast is subject to, including all the kids who play the game, is not a good way make people laugh.

just goes to show how stupid people are... what's the minimum age to create an account again?

Wow, I don't know what prospect is ( don't mind the almighty Google) so I am just going to infer something sleezy and be offended by my own ignorance....

#didInailit

This is of course why the devs themselves found the name hilarious. It is a sexual innuendo. And that's fine, I actually don't mind those kind of jokes myself. But there is a time and a place for them, and naming an entire server that everyone on the west coast is subject to, including all the kids who play the game, is not a good way make people laugh.

It's sexual innuendo because you are MAKING IT sexual innuendo :/ As Joey from Friends has shown you can make pretty much ANYTHING sound like sexual innuendo if you choose. The devs chose the name because it was a reference to a ship. Nothing more, nothing less. If that weak sauce is considered "funny" sexual innuendo then I seriously don't know what the world is coming to. Hot prospect? Honestly? I have NEVER heard that used in a sexual way and quite honestly if it was it would just sound incredibly stupid to me. I've heard sports players described that way VERY often and that's basically it. I'd call sports the main area where that term is used. Seems a major stretch to claim its a sexual thing.

I feel pretty boss being able to serve under Malgus. Not gonna lie.:rak_03: At least the hate for it isn't large so it'll be renamed, and now that there's Satele Shan. It's like the good old days!

Rep Vs imp. English/UK server called Malgus and the American server called Satele Shan..... Is there some hidden swtor meaning behind this Devs.🤔🤔🤔

But, honestly, how often are you REALLY gonna think about it when your online? Would being on a server simply named "west coast" etc. make the game worse to play? I just don't get this obsession people have. My server is Red Eclipse. That doesn't mean I'm drowning in Trandoshan slavers so whats the difference xD

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

just goes to show how stupid people are... what's the minimum age to create an account again?

Wow, I don't know what prospect is ( don't mind the almighty Google) so I am just going to infer something sleezy and be offended by my own ignorance....

#didInailit

Why do you honestly think the devs took this name of some obscure ship that was used by an obscure character in an obscure comic book that at least half of the players have not read? It's for the same reason they themselves found the name so hilarious.

Anyway, are you really so obsessed with this obscure ship name that you are so sad it got changed? Or are you just trying to be spiteful to those that bothered to speak out against it and get it changed?

Personally I may not agree with all the reasons that all the people who complained about the name gave to the devs to get them to change it. All I really care about is the end result, and that is the name got changed one way or another. Because it was a very stupid name that does not invoke feelings of respect.

It's sexual innuendo because you are MAKING IT sexual innuendo :/ As Joey from Friends has shown you can make pretty much ANYTHING sound like sexual innuendo if you choose. The devs chose the name because it was a reference to a ship. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sexual innuendo or no sexual innuendo, I found the name embarassing and didn't want to have to tell my friends who I try to get to join the game that they need to join the "Hot Prospect" server to play with me.

You guys cave in too easily and too much.

I wonder when the turning point was where 1 person out of 300,000 has a problem with something that the other 299,999 don't and yet the 1 person is placated.

So sick of a few people always getting their way simply by playing the victim card.

Why do you honestly think the devs took this name of some obscure ship that was used by an obscure character in an obscure comic book that at least half of the players have not read? It's for the same reason they themselves found the name so hilarious.

Anyway, are you really so obsessed with this obscure ship name that you are so sad it got changed? Or are you just trying to be spiteful to those that bothered to speak out against it and get it changed?

Personally I may not agree with all the reasons that all the people who complained about the name gave to the devs to get them to change it. All I really care about is the end result, and that is the name got changed one way or another. Because it was a very stupid name that does not invoke feelings of respect.

Actually, I was just annoyed at how stupid people are.... it was just THAT.

I wasn't fond of the name, but to make a fuss about it, to the extent that some people have, is stupid. But that's what happens when you live in an age where people no longer have to think.

We go WAY overboard for the silliest of things. Then we wonder why what happened in Vegas happened...

I wonder when the turning point was where 1 person out of 300,000 has a problem with something that the other 299,999 don't and yet the 1 person is placated.

So sick of a few people always getting their way simply by playing the victim card.

I am pretty sure the vast majority of the people getting dumped into this server did not appreciate the name they were going to give it.

Actually, I was just annoyed at how stupid people are.... it was just THAT.

I wasn't fond of the name, but to make a fuss about it, to the extent that some people have, is stupid. But that's what happens when you live in an age where people no longer have to think.

We go WAY overboard for the silliest of things. Then we wonder why what happened in Vegas happened...

And what I have noticed is that while this may be true, what makes it twice as bad when you get those who overreact to the other people they are accusing of overreacting. Kind of like what is happening right here.

I'm not going to read through all of this, I'm not going to argue whether it's reasonable to replace the only name that was considered problematic by some people with a name that is more on par with that of the other servers, but I will thank BW for it, because I consider it a significant improvement.

It may have led to an uneven distribution of players across servers, which would have defeated one of the reasons behind the server merge.

Random New Player looks at the list of servers for North America. They don't know much about Star Wars lore. Their choices are Star Forge, which sounds vaguely majestic, or something that sounds like...Hot Topic? Hot Pockets? What? Yep.

Also, since some players are already upset about being merged with Harbinger and switching to the servers that are to be with Star Forge, they may have not wanted to add one more thing that would make the server seem unappealing.

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan

-eric

No, that can't be right.

You said on the Livestream it couldn't done.

So you have just admitted you do, rather publicly, lie to us.

Not clever.

All The Best

And what I have noticed is that while this may be true, what makes it twice as bad when you get those who overreact to the other people they are accusing of overreacting. Kind of like what is happening right here.

Attempting to shut down conversation with ad hominems.

Sexual innuendo or no sexual innuendo, I found the name embarassing and didn't want to have to tell my friends who I try to get to join the game that they need to join the "Hot Prospect" server to play with me.

You are incredibly easily embarrassed then xD How can you be "embarrassed" about something you had no say in? It might be embarrassing if YOU had chose the name but not when it's got nothing to do with your decisions :confused: If your friends are the kind of people who would laugh at you for what your server is called then they are pretty silly moronic people IMO.

I think any gamer would choose the server with the lowest ping regardless of the name. They would then have a laugh over the silly name then get over it the next day.

Unless you're as insecure as this guy.

Edited by thirtydollars

That makes no sense. I suggest you look up the definition of the word, which has nothing to do with what a said. Or take a logic class.

You're attempting to shut down the conversation by accusing someone of overreacting. Thereby attacking the poster you responded to to delegitimize his argument.

Edited by thirtydollars

You are incredibly easily embarrassed then xD How can you be "embarrassed" about something you had no say in? It might be embarrassing if YOU had chose the name but not when it's got nothing to do with your decisions :confused: If your friends are the kind of people who would laugh at you for what your server is called then they are pretty silly moronic people IMO.

Why are you making such a big deal out of this, if the server name is not a big deal to you? In that case you shouldn't care that it got changed, or how or why it got changed. But yet here you are, apparently taking great offense to the fact that they changed the server name at the request of the players who would be on it. Are you even on the west coast yourself?

You're attempting to shut down the conversation by accusing someone of overreacting.

Did you yourself not just accuse the people who complained about the server name in the first place of overreacting? Now you are contradicting yourself, and being a hypocrite. Definitely bad at logic. And accusing someone of overreacting has nothing to do with ad hominem. Seriously, you need to look it up, or stop using the term.

Oh wait, let me guess, you are going to accuse me of trying to shut down the conversation now because I said you were bad at logic. Even though it's obviously true. *rolls eyes*

Now who is a special snowflake?

Edited by Signalights

Why are you making such a big deal out of this, if the server name is not a big deal to you? In that case you shouldn't care that it got changed, or how or why it got changed. But yet here you are, apparently taking great offense to the fact that they changed the server name at the request of the players who would be on it. Are you even on the west coast yourself?

LOL you post this garbage accusing ME of overreacting in an attempt to shut down opposing views LITERALLY the post after this guy says this to you

You're attempting to shut down the conversation by accusing someone of overreacting.

Point proven. I've already stated I don't really care about the name change. I was enquiring why YOU felt the need to make such a stink about it. If anybody overreacted here it's CLEARLY you. Taking the name Hot Prospect as sexual is pretty much a dictionary description of over-sensitivity.