What's wrong with the prequels?

xeeki

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kid Anakin. At least he'll be better when he'll get older, right? I mean, it's Darth Vader we're talking about!
  • Jar Jar Binks. I'm fine with a comic relief character, but... sheesh. :p Not to mention that he indirectly created the Empire and still lived by the end of ROTJ? Why didn't anyone kill him?!
  • Lightsaber fights being more show than substance. Mostly in Episode III. Just banging lightsabers in very fast moves to make it "exciting, while they should be going for strikes that kill/dismember. Ok, a lightsaber could technically cut you anyways, but I prefer the slower (even clumsier?) OT fights.
  • "I love you!" "No, I love you!" ---- "Anakin! You're breaking my heart!" I prefer the OT romance. :p
  • Whinny Anakin. (refer to Kid Anakin) Nope. He's worse.
  • Memorable music. Apart from "Duel of the Fates" and such, some music themes, I just don't remember. In the OT, no matter what theme/track I hear, my mind immediately goes to that scene. Perhaps because they were used in games and such later, but still, it felt like even John Williams couldn't cope with it. In the OT there were numerous tracks that stayed in my mind and not just each episode's "center" track.
  • Memorable Spacecraft. No Millennium Falcon. Or "party's craft". ;) No amazing "good" and "evil" fighters. And to think that Ep. I's space battle wanted to be like the Death Star run, but certainly felt sub-par. We just got new ships every episode and couldn't "connect" with them.
  • Villains. Maul comes and dies. Count Dooku comes and... survives. Dies in the beginning of III though. Grievous, was fun, but not enough. At lleast Palpatine "saves" the roster. ;)
  • Bad videogames most of the time. Remember when they said "we won't go to the OT for a while"? No? Maybe because they changed their minds so quickly. And it was for the best. ;)
  • *Grabs bucket* "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    Yeah, just when I said "Finally! No more whinny Anakin! Now as Vader he took a level in bada---oh man."
  • OT (DVD and later versions). Whinny Anakin's ghost, which somehow has an evil glare when last looking at the camera? :p What is he planning?

And last but not least:
  • Midi-chlorians. "For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter! You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."
    And then in Ep. I you get a line like: "he has the highest midichlorian count I've ever seen!" (or something like that). And that's why science should not explain stuff. Or Lucas for that matter. :p
    As far as I'm concerned, midichlorians do not exist.

Anyway, for the good parts.
  • Nice colors, CGI.
  • Duel of the Fates, Battle of the Heroes, etc.
  • Obi-Wan. I liked McGregor's portrayal. Not some of the "funny" lines though.
  • Huge ground battles.

Edited by GhostRiderLSOV

I recently watched all six movies over several days which I had never done before and it had been a long time since I saw them, and it got me thinking about this topic (so I'm glad you asked).

My feeling after watching them was that the prequels are not that bad. They are very entertaining to watch. The problem is they do not nearly live up to the potential. They could have been so much better, and I think that's why people hate them -- not because they are bad movies, but because they are not great movies.

The issues I have with them:

-- The Phantom Menace is a waste of a film. Starting the Anakin story when he is so young was pointless. Not much of significance happens when the main character is a 9 year old. The core of the story is basically about a little boy trying to win a fancy go-cart race with nice special effects. Starting with Anakin so young also makes the romance between Padme and Anakin feel a little awkward later on in the other films since she apparently met him when she was a young adult and he was a toddler.

-- Once we get to Attack of the Clones, the next big mistake begins. Through a combination of acting and writing, Anakin is immediately not likable. Anakin should have been a tragic hero, a character we love but know he's heading somewhere dark. Like if Luke Skywalker fell to the dark side -- that's what it should have felt like. Instead he's just immediately creepy. In order to show early signs of him leaning toward the darkside, they made him all crotchety and annoying. He gives Obi-Wan attitude, he gives Padme attitude, he gives the Jedi Council attitude... and not in a charming way, but in more of a "this guy is a total d-bag" way.

-- If his attitude wasn't enough, Anakin is also very aggressive and creepy in his pursuit of Padme (made creepier by the fact that the last time we saw him, and the last time Padme saw him, he was 9). He stares at her with those creepy eyes like some hungry animal. When Padme supposedly falls in love with him, it feels phony and forced.

-- On another topic, something else I can't stand in the prequels is the invention of the midi-chlorians. The force was always something fantastical. It wasn't supposed to have an explanation. Creating a lame sci-fi medical explanation for the force was a ridiculous idea. It ripped away the mystique and fantasy of Star Wars. I hope the word midi-chlorian is never mentioned anywhere in SWTOR.

People talk about other things like how annoying Jar Jar is, or minor continuity issues between the films, but I don't think those things are very important. These issues I listed have to do with the core of the story, and that's where the movies really failed.

Spot on with everything you say

Okay, I know everyone hates them, but I just wanted people to share they're views on why, or maybe you don't hate them.

Share your opinions on the differences between the prequels and the originals. :)

you want to know what is wrong? the prequal destroyed the feelings of star wars. sure they have cool space battles and cool lightsaber battles and music but that is it. the acting was bad, the emotion some character should had was bad, the story was not even close to be epic and worst of all anakin became emo and killed jedi younglings.no wait the worst of all was jar jar binks. the prequals are getting a 3 out of 10 for me. cool actions with some epic soundtrack. that is it.

As a cinephile, they're simply bad movies. They are completely different and it would take a while to elaborate on each one, but in general they lack rhythm and took special effects completely in the wrong direction, abusing their use. Then you have plain characters, plain script and ridiculous battles with impossible camera angles. Not to mention scenes like fighting Yoda...

You can compare Episodes IV to VI to Blade Runner, Alien and great science fiction movies, the new ones are not even near. They had really ironic and funny characters as Han Solo and Chewbacca, here they gave us Jar Jar Binks.

And as a Star Wars fan, in my opinion they took the wrong direction with technology, environments and such. Original and new trilogies are only separated by 40 to 20 years, they made it like it was 300 years before, completely different technology, architecture... Also for instance you couldn't see any fighting robot in the original technology, they were not faithful to that.

They had great actors, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman... but most of them didn't felt right about their roles. Then you have Hayden Christensen who played the worst Anakin possible.

When Episode I released, or maybe after, I remember myself playing Jedi Knight II and wondering, why didn't they took this universe?

Honestly I think the serious SW fans that grew up with the original trilogies were expecting the second coming or something. I didn't roll my eyes at gungans nearly as bad as I do at Ewoks.

The point of the prequels was to tell the complete story, and I think Lucas did a great job. It was nice to see Darth Vader as Anakin and get some insight into why he did the things he did.

There would have been a very vocal peanut gallery no matter how the movies were made or where the plotlines went.

Leave the Ewoks out of this!! :eek::D

Loved them all, and glad they updated the origionals... fealt that the prequels, lacked a few things, and was aimed at the younger audience.. but entertaining.. even if JaJA was annoying to the point of wanting to take my saber to him....

Leave the Ewoks out of this!! :eek::D

You remember all those fireworks at the end of ROTJ, well they should've strapped all the Ewoks to them before they fired them off.... what an epic ending that would've been...

Better yet they should've never been in there :DD

I have to agree with the general consensus that the prequels were not the greatest movies ever made. I can also agree that they did not have that cohesive feel that the original trilogy has and that is mostly due to story and actors.

One of the most disappointing things about the prequels which the original trilogy suffers from is that the movies feel rushed. The Star Wars Universe is so massive and can be overwhelming though too much is put into the movie then it suffers a similar fate of Spiderman 3 to where there is just too much going on and the story suffers because of it.

For me the most disappointing thing about the original trilogy was the final showdown with Anakin and Obi-Wan. This was supposed to be the epic climax of the whole prequel trilogy. Obi-Wan should have barely walked away from that battle. Anakin was supposed to be the most powerful force user ever. This final fight just was not as epic as what it could have been.

I also agree with another comment that Obi-Wan is really an underrated character. In the way that he was portrayed at least looking at Episode I and Episode III. The inconsistency with this is the fact that Count Dooku owned Obi-Wan in battle when Anakin easily manhandled Count Dooku. So when you have Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, it really should have been something more memorable. I feel like it was rushed cheap and we the fans were cheated of an epic confrontation that would set the tone for the original trilogy.

This should really drive home the point.

I want to agree 100% with this post. Watch all 7 parts of this review. It is irreverent, twisted and funny, but also puts into words and images what I have been unable to articulate since the prequels came out. This multi-part review is so dead-on, I had to share it with all my other prequel-hating friends.

If you like the prequels, well, the reviewer might just change that. He compares them with what was so loved and appreciated about the original trilogy.

The real reason people don't like them is that if George Lucas had just sat down and watched the original movies before writing the prequels he would have done a much better job with them

Little things bug me like

Why is Padme from Naboo? Why not make her from Alderan and that way we can actually see Alderan before it is destroyed? Then we have some emotional connection to the planet.

The biggest problem?

Hayden Christensen. Horrible horrible actor. Being cute doesn't make up for how bad an actor he is.

The second is the glaring plotholes. Like why someone as intelligent and strong as Padme would EVER end up with a lying thieving murdering scumbag like Anakin Skywalker. Childishness is something some women can tolerate, but he confessed to murdering an entire tribe of sandpeople including the children, and she comforts him? And not just comforts him but falls deeply in love with him? Are you kidding me?

And then there's the fact that Lucas seemed to have decided special fx were more important than story. The fx of the first three movies were there, but they were rather beside the point. We grew to love the characters in the first three movies, and care about their plight for freedom. In the prequels, I could have cared less for the characters (probably because of the horrible acting of Christensen), so the story took a back seat to the fx. Yeah, the fx were cool, but fx do not make a movie, even in a blockbuster.

These movies totally destroyed the ******age and fallen hero visage we were supposed to have of Anakin Skywalker. It didn't make him human, it made him annoying.

The only reason why these movies did as well as they did is because they're Star Wars. The one redeeming factor to those has been the later Clone Wars tv show. Finally, with a better actor, Anakin is shown to be the dark fallen hero he should be. And the show is actually really good.

Edited by moiraesfate

Okay, I know everyone hates them, but I just wanted people to share they're views on why, or maybe you don't hate them.

Share your opinions on the differences between the prequels and the originals. :)

I'm sure these have been posted already, but whatever.

I.) http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

II.) http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

III.) http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

All three films are all style, no substance. I was extremely disappointed in them, in particular Episode II. There are no redeeming qualities about that suckfest.

I have asked the question to myself "why are the prequels hated so?" as well....personally I love all 6 and I see them as one movie broken into 6 parts; a complete Saga. Heck I even enjoyed The Clone Wars (animated and the new CG series) and will gladly include them in the Saga. The Prequels were great, I loved them just as much as I loved the OT. People just need to stop griping and appreciate the Saga as a whole....

I feel the original three had memorable characters, and was well acted. It was also more balanced in terms of sfx and actors...meaning one didn't steal from the other.

That same balance in the prequels, had shifted more towards sfx, imo. I found myself looking more are the set pieces, and saber fights, than tuning in with the characters. I'm not saying the acting was bad. We have to consider that some of the actors had to take on roles created by characters from the original three.

My main gripe was with the 'Anakin Skywalker' character. In Episode I, as a boy, the character had a lot of soul, and played well by the actor.

Episode II, Anakin's a young man, and seems to be even more childish than kid-Anakin.

Things seemed to move a little too fast, where he was concerned. Acting was a bit stiff, but I was able to deal with it.

Episode III, Anakin's now a 'mature' man. It was very obvious, to me at least, that he was still kid-Anakin, but with a longer hair, and darker tones. Someone mentioned the term 'emo', which I think best describes this iteration of Anakin.

As such, it adds to the immature view some, like myself, have of this character at this stage.

The acting was a little better; you could tell the actor was a little more comfortable in his role. The one thing that put me off a little, was the final confrontation with Obi-Wan.

He seemed to turn into a spoilt brat !!

Anakin moans "...youu turned her against meeeee !!!!"

Anakin barks "you will not take her from ME !!!!"

You also notice that he kind of huffs and pouts, like a kid too. Worst of all he actually SOUNDED like one LOOOOOOL !!

Only time he breaks this, subsequently, is the saber fight with Obi-Wan. The bit where he pins him down, and tries to fry him with his own lightsaber.

Anakin's expression was proper homicidal; there you saw, Darth the maniac. Not quite the brooding, dark, evil presence we all came to know, but getting there.

By the end, when Darth Vader steps forwards, I didn't see the same Vader as the original. All I could think of was kid-Anakin dressing up in an odd, but scary outfit.

In fact, I'm reminded of that Darth Vader kid in the Volkswagon car commercial :p

The actors did their best with the script they were given.

The movies themselves made no sense. At the very start of TPM the droid army descends from space on the opposite side of the planet from the city they intend to attack, allowing the protagonists to take the "faster" route "through the planet core" which takes all of 10 minutes but is somehow accomplished faster underwater in a twisting cavern while being attacked by monsters than the droid army can accomplish above ground with aircraft.

It's just an excuse to see a shiny underwater bubble city and have a pointless underwater action sequence. It goes downhill from there.

I dont recall seeing a clock on the screen telling me how much time had actualy elapsed from when they landed until they got to the city.

To an awnser this question I think you have to first state what is right with the prequels.

What's right with the prequels:

1: An excellent cast Christopher Lee, Liam Nison, Ewan McGregor, Ian McDirmiad, Natile Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, etcetera. Rarely do you see a movie, or a series of movies with so acomplished a cast selection. Normally a cast like this indicates your going to be watching something that is a least above average.

2: George Lucas+Special effects. While it's fairly obvious from the prequels that Lucas isn't an actor's director, it's also fairly obvious from his body of work over the years that he knows special effects. Simply put we have a movie where a director is being given a huge budgett, the freedom to make the movie he wants to, & is making it in a genre he excells at. Couple this with the cast & how can we go wrong?

3: Highly talented support staff. Whether it be composers, fight coreographers, set designers, etcetera. You had a lot of people who have done very impressive work over the years. So not just are your face people high caliber, your behind the scenes people are as well.

Now normally when you combine these three elements in any film you end up with a winner. Perhaps not another Star Wars, Blade Runner, or Dune; but an above average film you will seek to watch more than once. However, if I had to equate the prequels potential, with its' actual preformance it would be as follows.

Imagine your a die hard fan of your local sports franchise. It's opening day, & your stoked. New managment has come in, a coach that has lead many teams to the big game is now leading your team, they've recruited some of the top talent from other teams, & the franchise has spent a bundle on new training equipment, trainers, etcetera.

& before the opening whistle, pitch, tip off, what have you; your team begins pummeling each other in a bout of roid rage induced psychosis; as the fans, oppossing team, & sports casters all look on in confusion.

What's wrong with the prequels:

1: Actors as little more than props that talk.

Their characters consistently do actions that seem to fly in the face of who the character is, are completely unbelievable, or in general defy the logic established by the story.

Natalie Portman's character is a perfect example. I trust we can all agree the young actress has demonstrated her acting ability in multiple films, yes. However, through out all three movies this characters contorts themselves around the various plot holes to attempt to make the narrative cohesive, no matter how illogical.

Whether it be going off to clean a droid while the Jedi & fake queen discuss what to do next; marrying an emotionally unstable mass murderer a few weeks after meeting him; or simply having "lost the will to live" after just giving birth to twins & stating there is still good in Anakin. We are constanly asked to accept actions from this character, that fly in the face of everything the story tells us this character is.

2: Unlikeable protagonists.

Whether it be the falling flat of Jar Jar Binks attempts at comic relief, or Hayden Christensen's constant whinning; so many of the characters we are suppost to sympathize with are simply completely unsympathetic. If you can't make your audience care about the journey of your characters, then you've already failed as a story teller.

3: The lack of the everyman character.

The Phantom Menace is a perfect example of this. Through out most of the movie we are surrounded by people who know what is ging on & never explain the basics. Who, what, why, where, & when are all known to everyone with the exception of Anakin & Jar Jar. & both fail miserably at being our eyes into the world by being completely unrelatable to. Anakin because of his age is largely oblivious to the greater situation, & Jar Jar by virtue of him being largely oblivious in general.

True, an everyman character isn't essential. But, it does help us gain an understanding of the world we find ourselves in. & this lack of an everyman character, coupled with a lack of dialouge in general to expalin the situation cripple the story. Information that found it's way into the novelization of the film, as well as supplemental novels surrounding the time line.

I could make this list considerably longer, however I believe I have made my point.

While I enjoyed the prequels I have to admit the actors playing Anikin were lacking, I honestly think its mostly Lucus' fault as a director, he couldn't coax the performances he needed from them. The same problem shows up in episode IV with Hammel's performance, there a a few scenes where a better director would brought out a better performance,

Also Lucas clearly changed, got older, and made more kid friendly/marketing movies. Hell he changed from Empire to Jedi, ewoks shuld have been taller and better armed, but the lure of kid friendly, mr,eti g bonanza got him.

I sort of wish that George had farmed out the directing chores to other, imagine Ep 1 by Speilberg, Ep2 by Kasidin or Coppolla, and Ep 3 by Nolan. :eek:

I enjoy them and take them for what they are, pure entertainment. I don't worry about plot holes or things like that otherwise I wouldn't enjoy anything.

I think Haden Christinsen got Vader right, he was a whinny little brat before turning and he got that spot on. Thats probably why some got upset, the ultimate sci-fi bad guy is in reality a baby.