Server population is dropping...

Miffy

I'm one of 4 left of over 50 players in my guild, some lasted the first month but the past 3 weeks it's died on it's feet.

Peak time fleet numbers have steadily dropped & now are creeping closer to 100 every day, I'm hoping & praying 1.2 brings players back because right now I'm very worried my server is dying. I was quite optimistic but the last week has been the worst, maybe loads went to play ME3 I dunno.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people might be listed as a subscriber, but is really just waiting for it to run out. That does so the number of people that is listed as subscribing, is higher the the number of people, actualy playing the game. I know one from my guild that is doing that.

US is nearly empty. /shrug

Besides, a very large % of those aren't even logging in. I know I'm one of them. Gift card for Christmas.

Lol.If US servers are empty then the EU ones don't even exist:eek:

I check the server status list often and I can see that the U.S

servers seem to be more populated than the EU ones.

only EA has the actual numbers but all I can say as a player is

that my server(Ludo Kressh) is not as populated as I expected it to be.

Shame cause that "not enough players on the server" feeling might drive

players off in the long run.

sorry, thats false.

My server is still standard.

73 Euro servers are at Standard, peak time sunday evening.

Thats too many Bioware, merge them.

Indeed I doubt if there are more than 5 Eu servers that pop heavy.

Most are light and some are standard but I haven't seen heavy

for sometime now.

I just hope that 1.2 will get some players back.

If only they waited for a few months to release the game in 1.2 state............

1.2 will drive more people away. F2p by end of the summer will get this game going again.

It won't you know, STO is free to play but it's not very good so people don't play it. People can afford to pay the monthly fee or they would not have bought the game, it's not the money that's driving them away, it's the bad game.

Besides, a very large % of those aren't even logging in. I know I'm one of them. Gift card for Christmas.

then ur on the wrong server. The Harbinger has alot on during off peak and peak times

Originally Posted by Gohlar

play on fatman, i'm waiting in a que to get in as we speak and the lowest i've seen the population drop was down to heavy at 5 am

Hello everyone,

As we have had to remove a number of posts from this thread for disruptive behavior and rude comments, we would like to remind everyone of the rules of conduct in the forums.

2. No insults, name calling, or personal attacks

3. Please stay on topic.

4. Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.

5. If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.

6. Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.

Again, we ask that posts in the forums be constructive, civil, respectful and on topic. Please keep these guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you.

After sitting idle in Imperial Fleet for 60-90 minutes trying to get a group and/or form a group for some hardmodes I gave up. Before I opted to log out I thought to myself, "self, I wonder just how many people (playing Imperial) are on my server (Girrada the Hutt) at this very moment, and how many of them are level 50s who could potentially be someone to group with?"

So, before logging out I did a check to see a) how many Imperial players were in the game, and b) how many were level 50. I was rather shocked to see the results (okay, maybe after seeing how many of my guildmates have quit the game and seeing all the people I added to my friends list over the past 4 months that have stop playing (evident by the fact that I never see them on anymore) I wasn't really shocked).

This was done about 10:00 p.m. Saturday night on an East Coast PvE server and probably took me 10-15 minutes to compile the numbers using the /who UI. If you see a number separated by a "/" the first number is total number of players in that zone/instance and the second is how many are level 50. Due the time it took to gather the numbers, there would have been some slight shifting as people moved from zone/instance to zone/instance (e.g. Fleet would have grown by 16 once a warzone ended, etc.) so these numbers aren't 100% accurate.

Total number pf players = 525

Total number of level 50 players = 164

Planets 299/44

Ilum = 15/13

Belsavis = 23/15

Hoth = 27/3

Tattoine = 26/2

Hutta = 21/0

Nar Shaddaa 20/0

Quesh = 12/1

Voss = 13/0

Alderaan = 21/1

Balmorra = 24/0

Corellia = 12/8

Korriban = 28/0

Taris = 18/1

Dromund Kaas = 39/0

Ship/Space Station 91/41

Imperial Fleet = 79/38

Fury = 8/1

Mantis = 0/0

Phantom = 4/2

Flashpoints/Operations 66/43

Eternity Vault = 8/8

Karagga's Palace = 16/16

Black Talon = 15/5

Hammer Station = 0/0

Athiss = 4/0

Mandalorian Raiders = 0/0

Colicoid War Game = 4/0

Cademimu = 0/0

The Red Reaper = 4/0

Boarding Party = 1/0

Foundry = 0/0

Kaon under Siege = 0/0

False Emperor = 8/8

Battle of Ilum = 6/6

Warzones 49/36

Huttball = 29/16

Alderaan Civil War = 20/20

Voidstar = 0/0

Granted while this is just a snapshot of my server at a slightly later than primetime time frame, it still paints an interesting picture of player distribution. If you ever wonder why you can't find a group for your hardmode flashpoint, it's primarily because the population of potential players for you to group with is simply too small. Out of 164 level 50s thirty eight (23%) are the only ones in fleet chat that will see/read your LFG/LFM spam. And that is assuming all thirty eight of those players are actually interested and looking to run a flashpoint or the same one as you. A well designed Dungeon Finder could potentially increase the pool of possible group partners to 121.

ToR is fun, but sitting idle in fleet for 60-90 minutes trying to find a group is not. From conversations I have had with many, many players they are pretty much nearing the point of being done with this game because of this very reason. Whatever Bioware employee made the decision to ship this game without a viable dungeon finder capability should be slapped up-side the head. I fear even the addition of a robust dungeon finder UI may not be sufficient because there are simply far too few players on a most servers (at least mine at the time this was done). Only saving grace now may be server mergers or cross server dungeon finders.

An interesting point a guildmate of mine pointed out is that the distribution is fairly heavy in the newbie zones. This population is more than like not new players, but people leveling alts. My pal's comment on this was that it is simply the outcome of a lack of end-game content in ToR. I agree. We clear hardmode EV and KP on Tuesday night in a few hours. After that, most of our guild members have no other reason to log in to play on their mains. I got my main in full Columi/Rakata and only log him into raid on Tuesday nights. Now that my alt is in almost full Columi and rank 54 valor, I'm at the point of wondering what the game has left to hold my attention other than leveling another alt (something I have no interest in). 1.2 simply may not being enough new content to hold my interests for much longer. Most my guildmates are in the same boat.

The game doesn't feel very "massively" when at ~10 pm on Saturday night there is only 525 people playing on my server.

Edited by Godzillamax

To those who say things like "It's just hyperbole" or "You're too stubborn to move" - you've really missed the point.

My experience, on my two EU servers, is that there aren't enough people around to do the groups that I want to do. That includes logging onto a character at various times of day, several times a day, for several days... and still having to give up on Heroics, because I can't get a group together. Planet averages of 5 to 8 players are not unusual. Flashpoints at the lower levels are pretty much the same story.

Oh... and I play healers and tanks and still have lots of problems. Importantly too... that means that I hardly ever get to actually play the role I'm specced for. I don't get groups so all that tankability and healability are basically wasted. In the meantime, 1.2 looks set to nerf more than it boosts, which will just make things tougher and mean getting groups is all the more important. On my healers, I can still solo most Heroic 2s... but, I suspect, that will become tougher after 1.2.

It's not just hyperbole - it's my personal experience. Quoting average server loads and stats really won't help, because even if there are 3000 people logged into my servers, that doesn't change the fact that my playing experience is that I don't see them and I still struggle to get groups together and don't get to do Heroics/FPs as a result. And remember... it's an MMO. It should be all about interaction with others and collaboration - but it's really not. It plays like a single player game with some co-op parts that people aren't really doing.

As to being too stubborn to move... well for me it's certainly not about being 'stubborn'. You're asking me to re-level all my characters, going through the same class quests and redoing all of those missions (again), doing all that trade-skilling again. I've spent a lot of time and effort developing my characters and I'm supposed to just throw all that away?

And indeed, one of the few things that set this game apart from many of the others, was the strength of its story-line... which is a benefit that's essentially lost when you have to re-level the same classes from scratch somewhere else.

The fact is, that ToR isn't a particularly 'special' game. It's a fairly solid implementation of standard MMO fare with a decent story-line. There's nothing really ground-breaking or new in the game. Compare that to something like Rift, which had cool spontaneous rift content, city invasions, world events, really cool new class designs (e.g. chloro), multi-specs etc. There's a bunch of other MMOs out there that have more interesting mechanics, interesting class design etc.

It's the story-line and the Star Wars world that the game really benefits from... so asking me to re-roll all my characters on a different server, really isn't constructive. Re-doing all the story-lines isn't really going to do it for me. And power-levelling through all the story-lines would miss the part of the game that really makes it fun.... so I'd have to invest all that time, doing something that's not really fun at all.... I play the game for fun... that's the point of games - why on earth should I do otherwise?

I dunno... I've cancelled my subscription now. Between population issues, low grouping, basic functionality bugs that still aren't fixed (Focus Targeting for instance), cruddy updates, unimaginative classes and a bunch of other stuff, I've kind of had enough. I have a few months left on my account and I'll be keeping an eye on what develops. I'd really like for the game to work out for me... but that's not happening yet.

X

Asking for server mergers before they even have a transfer system implemented is asinine. They have already announced when you can expect to see them, server transfers not mergers, so its a moot point.

I'm not saying its not a problem for some of you, it's just not as wide spread as some of you would like people to believe. Complaining about it for the next couple of weeks till your blue in the face, wont make it happen any faster.

Ill be interested to see the server statues when the High Months kick in in full swing.

American Summer is prime time for MMO gaming,

We always had more problems forming a raid in the summer with people not playing in that other game.

So from my experience I would say you were exactly incorrect about summer being prime time

Ill be interested to see the server statues when the High Months kick in in full swing.

A lot of people quit during the summer....what the heck are you talking about?

Edited by Daluu

Asking for server mergers before they even have a transfer system implemented is asinine. They have already announced when you can expect to see them, server transfers not mergers, so its a moot point.

I'm not saying its not a problem for some of you, it's just not as wide spread as some of you would like people to believe. Complaining about it for the next couple of weeks till your blue in the face, wont make it happen any faster.

Asinine yes, but needed? YES, low pop servers are basically graveyards as people roll alts on high pop servers, its the only way to find a good place with a lively crowd, a GTN with items on it at competitive prices.

If they dont do it, they simply lose people.

And btw, they CAN already do server transfers, it's just not standard, and you need a good reason like it's your wife's toon and you want to be on the same server or you both quit and bring down 10 friends with you.

And if they can copy toons to PTR, they can copy toons to other game servers, they just don't really want to at the moment. So they tell you they are "working on it".

American Summer has always been more active for MMOs then Winter

Hence why its been referred to as the High Months, and Winter as the Low Months

With "school" out, and many on vacation leaves more free time then at other times of the year.

Individual servers will always differ though, but for a long time American Summer has been the busiest time of year for MMOs

LOL WOW is totally dead in the summer since everyone is on vacation from their MMOs, have you tried to get a raid together in spring break? Did it work? well it aint gonna work in the summer either

40 people during peek hours on the fleet, Kiabur Crystal republic side... oh joy.

I'm not re-rolling imp. I'm not swapping servers. I'll drop my subscription before I have to do ether of those. Bioware needs to start merging superfluous servers.

What people tend to forget is that when the game launched we were on Christmas break which meant breaks from school and for many from work for a time. I do not play as much as i did because even though I am a retired U.S. Army soldier I go to school full time now. Since a new semester started I gave been far too busy to play all that much than maybe once a week. My son plays almost 7 days a week after homework is finished. When the semester is over i will undoubtedly play more. However I also run two Eve accounts and stay active there as well, though not as active due to school.

Server mergers are needed and are being worked out. WOW never had 1.7 million players in its infant stages either, and content for WOW was released much more sporadically than it is for SWTOR. I made 50 just after Christmas but have started other toons to try other classes.

Additional lvl 50 content will be released as time goes by, but people must also be patient as new content takes time. Much of the additional content for 1.3 (for example was started before the game was released. I would rather have quality quarterly releases and good game fixes than random crap rushed to the game for consumption.

My entire guild has rerolled Empire on the same server since the population is about 3 times as large on Empire(judging by fleet, illum and belsavis). Now when we started to hit 50 there was no issue at all puging Eternity Vault. There where actually 4 pugs ongoing on a sunday.

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

They don't want to merge servers, because that is a sign of going out of business. They started off bad in Dec. when they got too jumpy and made all the new servers too early into the release. It's like they are all rookies on mmo understanding. ALL new mmo's have a huge influx of subscriptions to check out the new thing, plus they lied about sales records because they had pre-release sales over a 5 mth period but couldn't charge til the game was released, then charged everyone on the same day, making it look like they beat the record of best selling game of all time in one day, when it was actually a 5 mth advertising campaign. Same as always, lots of people leave after the beginning, but they started too many new servers, now we are stuck with low population on all servers.

Then people see how boring it is with only 3 warzones, when this game should have started with atleast 6 and already have had lvl requirements per warzone. This discontent has made even more players leave. Now they think they are going save the game with patch 1.2 cross server warzones and rank requirements. Atleast its a start, but more attention should be made to making tons more warzones. Players haven't even beat all the flashpoints and they are adding more. I think I'll like the game more after 1.2, but it could and should be alot better if they would just listen more to their player base. Not listening has already been the problem.