Nerf Denova?

I disagree that most MMO PvE players even desire a challenge in storymode at all. When you leave the small circle of hardcore players, you begin to dive through a very large segment of the playerbase that is more concerned with just having things to do with friends than they are about how difficult those things are to do.

Note: I'm not saying that every storymode boss needs to be a tank n' spank faceroll. I'm not. I can tell you though, Bioware is not going to see 38% of level 50 players hitting up each new storymode raid if they stay with how storymode EC is right now.

My current guestimate is that by the time 1.3 hits, Bioware will be lucky if 40% of EV/KP raider population finishes EC storymode - just my opinion.

you get a piece of rakata from HM FPs, and I dont know what else to say here. EC would need to change to this for what you are trying to say....

EC: Easy mode(story) Normal(what story currently is) HM(current HM) NM(oh god the danger danger.)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: How do casual guilds that claim they don't have the time to learn how to down the EC bosses, have the time to clear both EV and KP along with wanting to still raid EC within a weeks time? Edited by Codek

you get a piece of rakata from HM FPs, and I dont know what else to say here. EC would need to change to this for what you are trying to say....

EC: Easy mode(story) Normal(what story currently is) HM(current HM) NM(oh god the danger danger.)

You get columi from HM FPs. You might get Rakata from Lost Island, I don't know, but people aren't exactly burning that flashpoint to the ground yet either.

Not sure if you have noticed, but people aren't exactly tearing up hardmode flashpoints either - at least not on my server.

Bioware is the one that decided to change from their original stance. They said Storymode was supposed to be easy enough so that everyone can do it. My ops has already had success there but after taking down Zorn and Toth, I can tell you that there is no way more than a third of the current raiding population is going to get Zorn and Toth down reliably in storymode. It's tuned far too high for "everyone to be able to complete it."

Edited by Raeln

Denova is perfect, you need to have 100% understanding of the boss and their mechanics, you aren't going to get it quickly if you are just a casual guild and you need to be ready for that. HM is even worse, I think it took us 12 hours to get Warlord Kephess HM that is a huge challenge.

I pugged story mode on a fresh 50 up to Kephess the other night. The first three fights are mostly dancing. Kephess is a dps check. I was geared at about a 126-130 level. At 140 gear level, story mode isnt anything other than learning the mechanics IMO.

In my opinion I don't think EC is in need of the nerf bat.

Our OPs group did EC on the first day got to 3rd boss (Minefield) then gave up after a few attempts.

We Did it again last night and got up to Kephess but it was late so we only had 2 attempts and the 2nd attempt it bugged out on us and Phase 2 had already started with the Pulsar Droids and Kephess on the ground before we even begun!

Edited by Krimian

Story mode is fine the way it is. If your wiping cause your healers can't keep up then they need to go read and improve themselves. My casual guild raids 8hrs a week and we're just stuck on the last boss which we've only had 1 night of attempts on. All this Ops is about is coordination and execution. I was just talking to another guild last night about Devona and they raid the same amount of hours as us and said the same thing. Sounds like people might just need to put some work into understanding their classes / rolls and study some boss strats. Edited by SilverBlink

I think that this raid was just fine but that is not reason why I reply... I just wanted to ask to stop with apocalyptic visions of TOR downfall because bosses do not have script to incapacitate themselves with nearest rock and give away the loot.

One of major rider of apocalypse complains in other thread that his companion has full Rakata (*) and here that he cannot get boss killed. You're doing it wrong, gear yourself not the companion.

Kudos to all who have more positive view on this and to all others, get some relax and look on this picture

Have some distance to yourself!

Cheers,

BogyOne

I think that this raid was just fine but that is not reason why I reply... I just wanted to ask to stop with apocalyptic visions of TOR downfall because bosses do not have script to incapacitate themselves with nearest rock and give away the loot.

One of major rider of apocalypse complains in other thread that his companion has full Rakata (*) and here that he cannot get boss killed. You're doing it wrong, gear yourself not the companion.

Kudos to all who have more positive view on this and to all others, get some relax and look on this picture

Have some distance to yourself!

Cheers,

BogyOne

Thanks! I was looking for this on reddit after I saw it a week or so ago to post to this guy.

• 4 months later...

What more people who are asking for a nerf to denova are saying is nerf sm denova for casual players. However, they dont seem to realize that when you nerf normal mode it makes hard and nightmare mode easier as well, not directly but everyone has easier access to better loot. This in and of itself makes it far easier to do hard mode.

As for having fun, you can have fun without doing the newest content RIGHT AWAY. It takes time to get to, thats why guilds call it progression. You dont start with downing illidan then do karazhan (for my bc wow buddies on here). The biggest problem in other mmos, namely wow, was the sheer amount of people needed to complete a raid was 25-40 people. They eliminated that problem here with 16 man raids which is by all means very puggable. It may mean waiting till people have cleared the content and know how to down the bosses and have some of the loot already, but its more than doable for casual players, especially when you can auto-pug 8 man kp and ev story modes...

Im not saying denova is easy, but its not so insanely hard that casual players cant do it. People pug it on my server on a regular basis. I never saw anyone succesfully pug black temple and, forgive my language, people didnt ***** this much about it.

The whole point of raiding is to have a goal to attain. When you eliminate that goal whats left? Weekly farming? Leveling more characters? Thats when swtor will truly lose its customers, when there is nothing left to do, not when you have to try a little to get something done.

Holy necro batman.

Denova separates the wheat from the chaff. No nerfs required. :cool:

I agree but unfortunately they already nerfed it with patch 1.3.7 (undocumented changes to npc in the minefield going from strong to normal mobs for example).

Cant believe people are actually still asking for a nerf after getting the augment stats boost and those bug fix.

People could complete it back when 1.2 came out, right?

Edited by ElitehunterDS

I'll admit that when I first attempted Denova story mode I found it difficult and was thinking to myself that it needed nerfing, but after learning the mechanics and coordinating with my guild during the fights we actually ended up finishing it rather easy, and even one shotting Kephess a few times after. It just takes time to get used to the mechanics. I wouldn't say it needs nerfing, just requires practice and group that listens :p

I got a sent in full rakata, fully augmented and we can't seem to clear story mode. its not that we are too squishy it's the mechanics seems like. While I enjoy it I will say it is too difficult to be called a story mode.

*shrug* make of that what you will

8 Bad players with no clue? It is easy, its horrifyingly easy once you know what you are doing.We normally steam through HM in about 90 mins, SM in under 60. Its just knowing the mechanics and dealing with issues that high dps can cause.

Story EC = easier than Nightmare EV which is easier than Nightmare KP.

HM EC = slightly harder than Nightmare KP but hardly a challenge since the Augment kits came out.

DO NOT NERF DENOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The PvE endgame in this game is TOO easy not too hard, I'm a casual gamer and even I find that HM EC is not challenging enough.

Please BW, do not destroy PvE by catering to the people who don't bother to learn the mechanics.

Yes EC requires you to actually THINK, you can't just stand there and dps the bosses and hope that they die. You actually require a strategy.

I'm BEGGING you BW, DO NOT NERF ANY OF THE OPERATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nightmare EV/KP are too easy right now, if you nerf the Operations you will lose subbed players by the truckload. You'll be screwing yourselves over. For the sake of the game do not listen to posts from 5 months ago.

Nerf SM EC, don't nerf HM EC = everyone happy.

I would prefer no nerfs but some people be so bad you know :rak_04:

Thing is that they'd have to nerf the mechanics rather than the boss health, enrage timers and dps as the bad players are dying due to not understanding the basic mechanics.

I'm a nice guy, but even I think that nerfing the mechanics of Story EC because some really bad players can't learn them... is well, not exactly conducive to making the game fun for everyone. Currently story modes are pretty easy, even EC. I've seen people in Augmented Columi gear without a single piece of Rakata do SM EC in under 150 minutes their first time around.

I've done SM EC in Augmented Campaign/Black Hole gear in 45 minutes. If they nerf it, they will kill it.

Edited by AshlaBoga

8 Bad players with no clue? It is easy, its horrifyingly easy once you know what you are doing.We normally steam through HM in about 90 mins, SM in under 60. Its just knowing the mechanics and dealing with issues that high dps can cause.

no we are pretty decent, and we will eventually get it. I am saying that as it stands its too hard to call it a story mode.

I'd suggest making an actual story mode version of the op, because in my view we already have hard and nightmare modes, just no story mode.

Did anyone else notice that this is an OLD thread? The original post "Nerf Denova" was made back in April when it was first released - the thread was resurrected by a post made yesterday on previous page.

I don't think many people are of the opinion that SM Denova is too hard now that it has been out for so long.

Old news, moving on.

I'd suggest making an actual story mode version of the op.

Hmm, you do know that EC SM drops Rakata gear, right? It is not suppose to be as easy as EV/KP SM, it should be like EV/KP HM but maybe even a little bit harder concidering the Chest drops on first boss.

EC is perfectly fine, let's move on.

lol, wow. Last time I replied in this thread was april 19th (you know, back when this topic was relevant).

Characters get buffed through gear (which does not even require running EC anymore to obtain). This topic isn't even a talking point anymore since the operation is a joke if you obtain half a set of black hole comms thrown into Rakata/Columi shells.

Edited by Codek