Developer Blog: The Art of Makeb

CourtneyWoods

So the mining operation for "Isotope 5" (nice placeholder name) is ripping the planet apart. Cool. I'll try not to stay long.

The images are very nice and the style... I feel like I've seen that before *shrugs* Probably not.

Really like the first picture of the estates on the mountain. Makeb would have made a wonderful sand-box exploration world.

Hi,

I already love look of this planet, looks simply incredible, I'm so looking forward to explore it and as always great story behind to get excited just incredible...

Thank you!.

Edited by sandisrd

First of all I would like to say that this planet sounds, and from what I have seen, looks like its going to be epic! :cool:

And the fact you guys were keeping the story line a secret in Charles's Blog was awesome!. "I will find out when I run the missions." is what I thought. But then, for whatever reason you gave it away in this blog. "Isotope 5" the most rare element in the galaxy.

Hmm, well since you said its the reason the Hutts are here and destroying the planet. I wonder if that is what the Empire is after also? "Isotope 5" and if the republic doesn't know its the most valuable element in the galaxy and should be protected, then they would not be very smart.

Most people know you can't fight a war without resources. The most rare element in the galaxy, that can only obtained on this ONE planet. Seems like it would be a no brainer to secure, no matter what the cost. The needs of the many, outweigh the need of the few, or the one.

So okay, we don't know what Isotope 5 does, but obviously it something important, and the main theme of the Story! I would rather you just mentioned that the planet was being mined by the Hutts. and them you could have shown off your pics. We could have figuered out it was Isotope 5, and that the mining was Causing the quakes, when we got there!

Oh well so your second blog gave away what the first blog said was going to be a secret until we actually played the planet. Maybe it was intentional, maybe it wasn't. But obviously the main focus is going to be this Isotope 5, and what everyone will risk to have it, what lines will the Republic cross? How far will the Empire go? What will the Hutts do in respone? I guess we got at least that much. But I would rather a complete mystery like the first blog suggested.

I am sure it will still be awesome though ;)

Ahh damn it. Industrial espionage would have been AWESOME for the Imperial Agent storyline on this planet, we could have even run into the Smuggler crew or something. I'm kind of disappointed that this planet is being wasted on a faction-only storyline now.

Sadface :(

Why didn't you take this much time to create all the planets? And make them bigger so it can be more of a sandbox? Like SWG

Bioware's making a great game here. This design has clearly built upon what worked already and made it better.

SWG was a failure of a game and the dang ghost towns were what drove people away. Yes they were kind of fun, but when they were always empty it just told people "you shouldn't be here, nobody else is". No matter what sandbox elements we eventually get, they should never be like SWG that showed just how empty the world was.

wondering how free will we be able to travel, if its all platues and divided estates upon mountain tops will it be like another nar shadda where we have to taxi form one area to another or more like alderan where you have a little more roaming freedom and can walk from area A to area B

but it does look great and wonder what they are going to do with the earth quakes

Damn, love that concept art, really! /sigh

Forgot to add: Details. I LOVE details and I always felt the lack of it in every game I've played but when I saw those mining balloons (or w/e the name is)....I fell in love. Simply love it.

Edited by Boyana

would be playing a major visual roll in defining the look.

Ok, from forum posters I don't expect proper English. But in a dev blog, I have to point out that the word is role. If you see a grassy hillside and it's a sunny day, having a roll would be a lovely thing. It might even make you a roll-player if you make a game out of it. Here, however, we're talking about the role played by the story in inspiring the art, not the tool used to apply paint to the canvas.

Nice , I just hope earthquakes doesnt mean even more OTT camera shake..

Would be nice, every time there is an Earthquake, we need to hide or run while ground is collapsing behind us and big rocks falling down. :D