Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

I have been a subscriber since the beginning. Of all the Star Wars games I have played this one offers the most variety of play for single-player and multi-player modes. I think it is silly and foolish to say you aren't going to play this game anymore because it's now going to be free to play.

So, what are your options? Go back to the store and spend $60 on a game that you may enjoy for 2 weeks and then trade in for $5? That's what makes MMOs so great. You buy the game and it expands for you.

You have a great game here that is going to be FREE and you have an option to open up so much more new content if you pay only $15 per month. If you can't be happy with that then I feel bad for you because there is probably nothing in life that will satisfy you. The only way this will be a bad thing is if BioWare does something that puts out the subscribers to accommodate the F2P'ers. As long as the subscribers are first priority in all aspects then I am in full support of this move.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading a few of the comment pages i do understand why some of you feel this could be an end, but please see it from a different view and think of this as a beginning. subscriptions have dropped in the past few months, the reasons of the ones who closed their accounts I'm sure are their own but when you open a game to being free to play you bring about population growth and possible potential subscribers for those who wish full access. I myself am not big on PVP but i have done it once or twice just for fun, as for Operations it is difficult as it is to get an Ops team put together to bring down a world boss let alone an Operations Flashpoint.

As far as content goes my first fuss would probably be we need more options in terms of personal travel, not just speeders we buy off the market or have made by players that have the heart for the skill. like on Hoth we could ride Tauntauns or even something similar to this -> :csw_snowspeeder:. there are a lot of ideas to explore if Bioware would stop letting Electronic Arts run the show, i know most of you are not fond of the mini-game-style space combat that we have but for now it's all we got to be able to use our ships for more than just a safe rest zone and personal space travel. I admit it's a little fun but like most of you i wish i could fly freely throughout the field in space when on mission, during that first mine blockade mission i always miss a bonus target because they keep shooting at me but they go off screen so i can't shoot them back.

this is probably a bit off topic but i feel if we're supposed to get guild capitol ships then guilds run by F2P players should still be able to get one for their guilds, me personally it would be nice if those capitol ships had living quarters, mess hall, onboard cantina, training area, library archives, mission and quest givers, hangar bays for the 4 classes of each side, onboard Galactic Trade Network terminals. those would be great but again Bioware has to stop giving EA the big piece of the cake on SWTOR, in my opinion this is Bioware's game and we are Bioware's loyal customers.

finally i wish to express an idea that i feel we could have added to make roleplaying on roleplay servers more enjoyable and perhaps the other servers as well, it is called open speech. now sure most of you use mics and headsets to talk to your close friends but you speak in "say" chat it's just words at the top left of the screen, you don't hear what your character says in their own voice except in mission briefings and class cinematic vids throughout the character story. i say why not let your character's voice be heard every time you type in "say" chat, it could be a nice idea and especially for us roleplayers it could bring about new ways to have fun with our friends.

well i think I've run out of steam for this post but i would love positive feedback from you fellow players and i hope to continue to enjoy the life in the Old Republic with all of you for years to come :)

:csw_xwing:

I think people are forgetting that ALL of the competition (appart from wow, which is also in decline) are now "free-to-play". People are not going to pay a sub when they can play something similar for "free". Edited by NasherUK

I think people are forgetting that ALL of the competition (appart from wow, which is also in decline) are now "free-to-play". People are not going to pay a sub when they can play something similar for "free".

you're missing the point, please try to understand that creating content requires time and funding. without subscribers the company won't have the extra funding to make new content so the F2P players would also get nothing unless there are a few subscribers to support the funding for new content :csw_xwing:

I actually think this is a VERY smart move on the part of BioWare. When STO went F2P their player base jumped and so did their profit. I know myself I've never subscribed to STO and yet I've probably spent over a year's subscription in just a few months due to purchasing gear, ships, etc. All they have to do in STO is put out a new custom uniform that people will want and they can look forward to making $1000's in profit off it. I don't even want to know how much they made off their "lockbox" campaign. I know some friends who have spent over $150 for packs of lock box keys just to try and get the rare ships.

Trust me, F2P is not going to cost BioWare money, it'll make money (as long as the store sells good stuff). I'd rather see them go F2P and save a dying subscription base than eventually shut down the game for it being unprofitable.

Hell, F2P virtually resurrected City of Heroes, which was so close to death it wasn't even laughable.

Edited by ViperZeroOne
Additions

I think people are forgetting that ALL of the competition (appart from wow, which is also in decline) are now "free-to-play". People are not going to pay a sub when they can play something similar for "free".

I 100% agree with you, why pay for something when you can play something just as good for free? Wow wont be free anytime soon because there is nothing out there that is on the same level as wow that is f2p. Rift is an excellent example of what swtor should have done, instead of going f2p they just fixed the game and kept adding content, now their numbers are rising and at the rate trion pushes out new content it is wows only established competitor.

Swtor decided to go the way all the other failed f2p gmes have, instead of fixing the game and putting out new content they are just going to give the game away, they say theres new content coming "someday" but if they were serious about improving this game they would have fixed it first and then announced f2p to get people to come try it. The people that come back to try f2p will be extremely disapointed to see that its the same game they quit months ago.

The closed minded toward a move to Freemium models for MMOs are simply ignoring the market data.

One simple summarized example of market data (there are many if you actually care to seek and understand):

http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/07/13/free-to-play-mmo-revenues-increase/

If WoW launched today, in this marketplace, it is extremely likely they would not only see the attrition curves that SWTOR and Rift (yes folks both games have almost identical subscription attrition curves since launch) but that Blizzard would also pursue a Freemium model early in the life of the game, if not at launch. The only thing that insulates WoW from the market forces right now is the "invested player base". By invested player base I mean the large number of players with years of time and progress invested into the game who simply won't abandon it. They do sub/unsub with each expansion cycle though.

Further, WoW could still succumb to pressure to convert to Freemium. Setting aside their Asian accounts (which number ~ 6-7M and never were subscriptions, they are token based pay-2-access) the US/EU subscriber based has suffered 2M losses over the last 12 months (which is ~ 40% of their paid subscription base). Once their panda expansion cycles the subscriber base, then the real pressure for them begins.

Edited by Andryah

I 100% agree with you, why pay for something when you can play something just as good for free? Wow wont be free anytime soon because there is nothing out there that is on the same level as wow that is f2p. Rift is an excellent example of what swtor should have done, instead of going f2p they just fixed the game and kept adding content, now their numbers are rising and at the rate trion pushes out new content it is wows only established competitor.

Swtor decided to go the way all the other failed f2p gmes have, instead of fixing the game and putting out new content they are just going to give the game away, they say theres new content coming "someday" but if they were serious about improving this game they would have fixed it first and then announced f2p to get people to come try it. The people that come back to try f2p will be extremely disapointed to see that its the same game they quit months ago.

you guys really need to read the information closer, you judge too soon without even looking at all the facts or information. if you don't like the idea of F2P then please for the love the Force just leave the game. Andryah sees the major point in all this so i agree with her on this but if all that some of you are going to do is complain about this then don't bother playing anymore :mad:

you guys really need to read the information closer, you judge too soon without even looking at all the facts or information. if you don't like the idea of F2P then please for the love the Force just leave the game. Andryah sees the major point in all this so i agree with her on this but if all that some of you are going to do is complain about this then don't bother playing anymore :mad:

So, simply put, since we don't believe the same as you we aren't entitled to an opinion. Well, tough for you, I got one and I say this move is about as bright as a dead light bulb.

This is NOT a win for this game, this is a tuck tail and run maneuver because they released a buggy game before it was ready and can't seem to fix it.

They spent all this money on voice overs instead of creating actual content when the majority of us, once we hear it the first time, space bar though the damn things to not have to listen to them again. they add absolutely nothing to the game but processing overhead. I do not feel more immersed because I hear the same voices and soundbites over and over again. I do not feel more immersed because I have three choices that completely take RP out of my hands and predetermine my responses, often differently than the choice bubbles suggest.

F2P doesn't fix any of this, it will just bring in a bunch of people who have no investment in the game, increase the issues with the network errors this game already experiences during the supposedly heavy population cycles and will introduce us to a cash shop in our faces (whether we subscribe or not).

I've watched this happen to two games already, I already know how it will end. I only hope I can get another 6-9 months of enjoyment out of the game before they completely destroy it.

Edited by Sir_Raston

So, simply put, since we don't believe the same as you we aren't entitled to an opinion. Well, tough for you, I got one and I say this move is about as bright as a dead light bulb.

This is NOT a win for this game, this is a tuck tail and run maneuver because they released a buggy game before it was ready and can't seem to fix it.

They spent all this money on voice overs instead of creating actual content when the majority of us, once we hear it the first time, space bar though the damn things to not have to listen to them again. they add absolutely nothing to the game but processing overhead. I do not feel more immersed because I hear the same voices and soundbites over and over again. I do not feel more immersed because I have three choices that completely take RP out of my hands and predetermine my responses, often differently than the choice bubbles suggest.

F2P doesn't fix any of this, it will just bring in a bunch of people who have no investment in the game, increase the issues with the network errors this game already experiences during the supposedly heavy population cycles and will introduce us to a cash shop in our faces (whether we subscribe or not).

I've watched this happen to two games already, I already know how it will end. I only hope I can get another 6-9 months of enjoyment out of the game before they completely destroy it.

100% agree on this , for me atleast, is the proof that SWTOR is the bigest flop in gaming history to this day, all thanks to the people who call themselves "game designers" and their "great" game breaking decisions (read VO)

Never again im buying another game from Lucasarts, Bioware and EA , atleast if i dont see some of the people who are rensponcible for this debacle.

Really sad day for gaming industry

Edited by Grabsi

I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.

You should be struck down where you stand meatbag....err I mean "How can you not enjoy HK"? :D

BW has included alternate lifestyle content in a number of their more recent games, and I am sure your wait will be answered. Seeing as it wasnt originally going to be in there, you are probably looking at extensive rewriting for a small percentage of folks. With the amount of problems the game has had, I would imagine it was back burnered, but as things are now getting under control, when they go to put it in, I would bet it gets an ASAP tag.

Hopefully those of you from the alternative community are understanding. Without stabilizing the subs, none of us would of had a game to play.

If you haven't read through this thread you would see that most of the posts on this 117 page long thread as been agreeing that F2P is a horrible Idea, I has ruined most of the games that have changed over to that model. As there is very little new content and just new stuff in the "store" to buy.

This is going to kill this game. I am trying to finish up each class story so I can be done with it

If you haven't read through this thread you would see that most of the posts on this 117 page long thread as been agreeing that F2P is a horrible Idea, I has ruined most of the games that have changed over to that model. As there is very little new content and just new stuff in the "store" to buy.

This is going to kill this game. I am trying to finish up each class story so I can be done with it

The very little content part depends on the gaming company. DDO has done pretty well with content since it went F2P.

FYI we fought this battle in 2010 and convinced EA that there would be enough subs to justify making the game subscription based. Apparently we were wrong. It is most likely that F2P will vastly increase profits on this game. I personally dislike f2p because it can have negative impacts on the player community, but I don't think asking the company to go against their own best interests will change anything. We should at this point work on convincing Bioware/EA to do f2p right, and not go with a p2win model.

The prospect is interesting, and perhaps economics and the interests of all stakeholders will compell this. My only concern is that the cartel coins buy you something actually useful or enjoyable. I have a security ID token, and the inventory in the "exclusive" store it enables would make The Dollar Store look like Macy's. I'd like to see the cartel coins allow revised character customization (like re-doing hair and facial features), or more varied clothing, or stat bonuses (maybe too good to be true). Having another meretricious pet? I need that like I need a hole in the head! But a new store's always good news.

Do people who bought the Digital Deluxe version get anything above those who bought the standard edition in terms of these cartel commendations?

Not too bothered about the free to play thing, I will continue to subscribe as long as though I get a load of freebies each month, otherwise I will no doubt go and play a panda :p

If U wanna see what free to play does to a game check out STO (Star trek online) when we were paying there were talk about more content etc.

As so as f2p came everything stopped and it turned into a store game i.e go to the ingame shop use real money to by crap for the game.

They have just brought out season 6 with guild starbases and 54 new ships, thats about all f2p does.

As so as people stop paying the developers don't have a reason to keep making content.

I bet you that when F2P hits no more content or it will take for ever to get anything!!!!!!

Disappointed

I agree. That was my first MMO and I now jumped ship to SWTOR. F2P came allot sooner for SWTOR than STO. I bought a lifetime account for STO.....glad SWTOR didn't offer one. STO feels like a store to me now even though most of it is still free.

On a side note. The planet missions are way more funner in SWTOR. But the ship battles and space missions are much better in STO than the roller coaster ride you get in SWTOR.

Oh and one more thing. STO is now owned by the Chinese.

Edited by BernRod

The closed minded toward a move to Freemium models for MMOs are simply ignoring the market data.

One simple summarized example of market data (there are many if you actually care to seek and understand):

http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/07/13/free-to-play-mmo-revenues-increase/

If WoW launched today, in this marketplace, it is extremely likely they would not only see the attrition curves that SWTOR and Rift (yes folks both games have almost identical subscription attrition curves since launch) but that Blizzard would also pursue a Freemium model early in the life of the game, if not at launch. The only thing that insulates WoW from the market forces right now is the "invested player base". By invested player base I mean the large number of players with years of time and progress invested into the game who simply won't abandon it. They do sub/unsub with each expansion cycle though.

Further, WoW could still succumb to pressure to convert to Freemium. Setting aside their Asian accounts (which number ~ 6-7M and never were subscriptions, they are token based pay-2-access) the US/EU subscriber based has suffered 2M losses over the last 12 months (which is ~ 40% of their paid subscription base). Once their panda expansion cycles the subscriber base, then the real pressure for them begins.

This is the only person who has actually spoken sense, and backed it up with factual figures.