Do people hate or love Galactic Starfighter?

LegoUniverseBC

Middle. The fun is heavily distorted by faction imbalance here.

Even although people on my server tell me that there just isn't any faction imbalance, I can tell you that out of 15 games I (as a Republic player) have won 3 or 4. The others were won by the imperial faction to 3/4 with all 3 sattelites captured.

eh the republic's been winning more then it's been losing on my server, YMMV

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn fights. Its really really easy to get stuck in them without help.

This is one reason why a lot of people would rather have PvE space missions than PvP, since you can design PvE levels and AI differently to avoid this.

Fortunately, there are enough ships and a small enough area of combat to ensure that it is rarely a 1-on-1 protracted fight. There are also other ways you can try to fool your opponent in a turn fight (using obstacles, varying speeds/turn rates, etc)

Edited by ptwonline

The short answer to the question, hate it.

I was really hoping that Bioware had learned from the travesty of what they had done thus far and went back and had a look at successful Star War space combat games. They did not. Instead they produced something that is worse, if that is even possible, then the original space content.

Plus side, no fly by rail.

Minus side, controls are as bad or worse then the original content. You have to mess with your mouse settings just to make the ships flyable. Your still stuck in third person mode. These combine to make it feel like your directing a gun-turret, not flying in a space battle. The ships also fly like mobile gun- turret, does not mater the ship type. The space you have to work in is a rather thin. You can’t go very far up or down. For PVP content it may be long enough but gives you the feeling of a cramped space that you can move slowly thru. The crew component feels “forced” as these should be one or two man fighters, not something it takes several people to fly. The scale of the background objects feels off, but that is true of the entire game. Short form, this feels like capital ship battles with little guns and fragile hauls.

Recommendations are the same as the original. Enable joystick controls, give a first person cockpit view, open up the environment, and fix the physics so that the ships fly more realistic. Have a look at the X-Wing series of games as well as Star Wars galaxies. You need a big PVE environment, if for no other reason to give the players a chance to learn how to fly and how the different ships work.

I've tried it and exit the battle in the 1st round.

I don't like it. I'm playing other space dog fight mmo and the controls are not well, the movement of starfighter, I don't like.

I'm a long time player of space mmo but this is not good for me.

I won't even try it again.

I'll go play my other space fight mmo's much more

I liked the first 3 matches when I had no clue what was going on...trying to figure the controls out, learning etc.

Now, I absolutely hate it. I have lost at least 90% of the game played, I swear hacks are already happening. Getting 2 shot by gunships when it takes me 10 minutes of chasing to get them to 50%.

Its a joke.

Edited by Raideen

I've tried it and exit the battle in the 1st round.

I don't like it. I'm playing other space dog fight mmo and the controls are not well, the movement of starfighter, I don't like.

I'm a long time player of space mmo but this is not good for me.

I won't even try it again.

I'll go play my other space fight mmo's much more

in summary: it's different than what you're used to; so you don't like it.

Edited by Typeslice

no not a question of being used to another game. I don't play it much, but If i want to play dogfight pvp, I'll play this other game for sure. It's just your false conclusion ....

I just don't like the way you control it, the way the ship moves, and i'm not the only one to feel like this.

I like ground play but this space things is not for me at all.

Edited by CobraGuru

Me, I find it not so different from the regular wz's and therefore not that enjoyable. Got bored after 12 or so matches, not to mention that my hand hurt from trying to cope with the broken mouse controls, and my eyes hurt from the overcowded hud. I figure that I won't be doing much of it again soon if at all. And no, I didn't suck at it, most of the games I was in ended with a win and I usually got 6 or more medals and lots of bonus points for objectives and stuff.

This said, I'm pretty happy that it was introduced and gives some players stuff to do. I was a bit worried that all the people jumping on GSF would leave group finder and daily areas empty, but luckly it didn't - lot of folks didn't like the GSF and got back to their usual activities, which is good for me. Win win.

I find it very dull.

It is a stand alone mini game with very limited gameplay as far as a star fighter flight sim goes, far less than JTL and likely less that Star Citizen will offer. It has no baring on the ground game outside a couple of titles and credits so doesn't even tie in with the rest of the star wars universe. So once the novelty has worn off I don't see how much it will bring to the game or peoples experience.

I do hope all the people that love it are buying all the optional extras from the cartel market and supporting the GSF expansion, but for the last 2 years of work to see 2 maps with one game play mode and limited gameplay. It doesn't feel worthy of being called an expansion and a disappointment for the big thing for the 2 year holiday season of the game.

LOVE IT!

Remember though the starfighter does not officially launch until February were we will see more star fighters added and most likely more maps. This is practically a glorified test server on the live server

personally I love it, it is seriously not something i really was excited about, but i really enjoy it alot!!!

im not sure what people have issues with as far as mouse controls, i play with a naga and as far as sensitivity goes its up there, so maybe because i am used to better ...erm more sensitivity it wasnt much of a difference from anyother game i have never known anything else in this game to actually pull me out of WZ queue, and this is caused me to not complete the weekly on tuesday for the first time in a very long time...

faction balance seems fairly even... i am noticing a few abilities that may need tweaking, but nothing that i would scream OP over, once you figure out the controls, the maps,which ship your playstyle prefers, and get some upgrades to your ships, its flipping amazing.

but i believe this has a higher learning curve that some players were expecting. while fan sites and videos are out there, a more in depth post on the forums by the Devs breaking down what players could do would have been better... the tutorial ? area should have all of the ships available for practice. also perhaps a Ship req respec (maybe purchasable with CC) would be an amazing addition. certain abilities aren't very clear unless you know a guy who looks up info on the web like crazy (me)!

many times today on vent i had someone ask me the difference between communications and long range sensors... and its not explained anywhere in game...it is only explained by other players on the forums here, which well to be honest not alot of people read ...

sure this is the information age where google is your friend and there is a wiki for everything...but is it so weird to have a way to learn this in game before wasting ship/fleet req on an ability that you misunderstood? anyhow

all in all I love GSF and cant wait for more more more of it tomorrow...

I was very skeptical at first and it took a few games to really get my bearings, but I love it. :D

It has huge potential and I will certainly be supporting it as much as I can.

I honestly was very 'meh' about it when it was announced and i'm glad I jumped in and proved myself wrong.

I've heard people say they hated it, my first match i hated it too cuz i was too busy working out the controls rather than enjoying the match, then after the match my tutorials kicked in and told me all the controls for it, so now i love it. The only spaceship battles i've played before to compare this too are "sw battlefield 2" and the space missions that was already on swtor. So i do like this new one better.

Hate it, but mainly because you can't enable Joypad/stick. Its a must, and I don't buy their explanation of "Well not everyone will have a joypad so that's not fair"... Not everyone has excess cash to buy loads of CC to get rich, not everyone has 30 hours a week to play, get good, grind gear. But it doesn't stop them designing the ground game that way. Its looks pretty, but its no where near as good as SWG: Jump to lightspeed... and tha'ts 10 years ago.

Maneuvering isn't fun. So I don't love it. Do I hate it? Not really. Sometimes I try it again and again, in hope to get better. But most time I fly around like a squirrel in the washing machine...

It's less pointless than the old singleplayer railshooter... a bit more fun.

Edited by discbox

Love the gameplay. Reminds me of that old game Freelancer. Only a lot more complicated.

Absolutely despise pvp. There are no words that describe how much I despise pvp.

If there was an option to play just solo for practice or something, I'd be all over that. Even if it didn't give any req, xp or creds.

I'm here to have fun, not to get blown up.

LOVE IT!

Remember though the starfighter does not officially launch until February were we will see more star fighters added and most likely more maps. This is practically a glorified test server on the live server

This is the smartest thing I've heard. While I cant see how you could love it as its pretty bad right now compared to other space games this is a beta test really. Hopefully the problems get fixed by February. I LOVE space fighters, the wing commander and the tie/xwing being some of my old favs. I really hope they increase the speed as it it feels like I'm piloting a garbage scow not a tie fighter, its ok when you have boost but it should be that speed at all times.

Also they really will have to introduce a pve version otherwise in the future players will be coming in not having played before against people with all ships components unlocked. It would be like throwing new level 1s into end game pvp when they still didnt know what even their starting abilities did. I foresee big problems there.

Edited by Tellenn

Love it. :D

Give pod racing next. If they created this, they can that as well. But I'm so happy with this update.

Pew pew! In space! :D

When I first tried GSF, the very first thing I thought was that BW could put in a very similar system for pod racing.

hated it from day 1 the reinvented wheel on flight controls makes it feel like i am playing a facebook game.

1.The targeting and turning tied to the same piece of hardware crap design.

2. Lack of joystick control in a 2013 mmo for space failing hard.

3. Booster are great but making you use booster to turn faster fail

4. Shall i go on with this garbage.

It looks great, but the controls absolutely SUCK! :mad: I was done after 30min in the tutorial section. I'll NEVER give it another shot until they add joystick/controller compatibility. I've still got high hopes for this, & I hope BW is paying ATTENTION to how many ppl are having issues with the controls.

Absolutely Love it.

Might get bored after the 1000'th time playing it, but right now it's fantastic. I grew up playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I could see improvement by adding joystick controls (I do have an Xbox controller I could use on the PC). But right now with the mouse and keyboard it's a lot of fun. I've played many FPS and flight/sim/combat type games and this is pretty close.

I think people who haven't played many "Ace Combat", Xwing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander, Privateer, type games will have a tough time adjusting. Since I've played and loved all those, I was basically at ease with the interface. Now to unlock all the ships and weapons.