Flashpoints are Insanely Hard!

...and I WOULD NOT have it any other way!

I came over from WoW, where dungeons, heroics, and basically anything that wasn't a top-tier raid was just a steamroll. The content got old EXTREMELY quickly, because you could hardly call running a dungeon in taht game "playing". You ran forward, spammed whatever abilities you had, and got your couple tokens. Then you did it again.

So, imagine my surprise when we walk into Athiss. I did the Esseles once with my friend, and it wasn't too much of a challenge. But Athiss today was my first Flashpoint with a full group (I was healing as a level 21 Smuggler Sawbones).

We got to the second boss with minor issues (one wipe due to a patrol that managed to pull from literally across the Flashpoint), and then WIPEFEST. I think we wiped on the second boss 3 or 4 times, then another 3 or 4 on the last boss.

Oh no, say the extreme casuals! Effort! Wipes! I can't play this game!

Well, I am FAR from a hardcore player (I had the entire week of early access and I have a 21 Smuggler and a 14 Trooper) and I can't remember the last time I had as much fun in a flashpoint as in Athiss today. Those of you who argue for LFD saying it doesn't harm communities, sure, it doesn't. But how often do you walk out of a random dungeon finder run and add everyone in the group to your friend's list? I can't remember the last time I friended ANYONE in a dungeon in WoW, but all 3 of my party members definitely made my list after that run.

Long story short, I absolutely love basically all of Bioware's choices as far as Flashpoints are concerned. I love the difficulty, I love the lack of a dungeon finder (for now... we'll see how long that lasts), and I love the whole feel of the run.

TL;DR: If you've ever whined about Flashpoint difficulty, slap yourself, then L2P.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They made vast improvements to mob mechanics in general since I beta'd in a June build. Mobs used to just be gold and have a lot of health (in general).

Although the chain healing silver mobs can die in a fire when there's a 3 pull of them. Just saying :D.

I've done all of the flashpoints up to and including Maelstrom Prison. They are not hard. Never mind insanely hard. I would call them easy.

I do like the spirit of your post, however, and would agree it's a tad harder than WoW leveling instances. But that does not make them hard. They're still easy.

You're kidding right ? :eek:

Dont think they are overly hard at all. YES they are much better than WoWs carebear dungeons/flashpoints in as much as you do have to work for them.

But a work collegue and myself (both ex WoW) have done all of the ones our level (he's lv29, Im lv31) with just the two of us and our companions.

I play SI scorcerer, so Khem is tank, He's Bounty hunter so uses Mako for heals. He goes all out dps and I do dps / support heals and we've had no probs so far. Yes a few wipes here n there, but once we've learned what a specific boss does its normally taken down.

So while I'd agree there is a nice, very refreshing difficulty, level needed for flashpoints. I wouldn't say they are insanely hard.

:rolleyes:

EDIT..

I will add that my friend and myself are long term MMO players and both experienced raiders, so I guess that helps

:D

Edited by P-hantom

i dont think they are hard enough, athiss is laughably easy with a competent group. cadimeu was a nice surprise, but still each boss only has 1 mechanic and once you get it its easy.

Its kinda fashionable to bash wow, and as a former player myself its tempting to do so sometimes. However, some of the cataclysm heroics at release were pretty interesting (they were eventually nerfed to suit the majority of players.) Stonecore in particular was very challenging, far more challenging than athiss anyway

I've done all of the flashpoints up to and including Maelstrom Prison. They are not hard. Never mind insanely hard. I would call them easy.

I do like the spirit of your post, however, and would agree it's a tad harder than WoW leveling instances. But that does not make them hard. They're still easy.

It was mainly just the bosses. The trash is all pretty easy, but they have managed to slap a good challenge on the bosses. This was also a whole group of 21s or below, nobody was overlevel for the flashpoint.

While i havent gone all that far just being a 27 vanguard, They dont seem all that hard.

My gf and I have run everything together. Me tank speced and her a DPS Commando. And our companions.

The hardest fight we had in there was the Room with the two Champion Sith. Us both being Trooper at lower levels we lacked any lenghty CC and we had touble killing one fast enough to save my life.

Well and keeping our compainions out of the fire on the last boss. Go Go Passive!

Edited by Shadyne

Heroic Flashpoints & Ops are still quasi-bugged. Some shared info I've discovered to date.

(1) Just finished Heroic Taral V, where the final boss dropped only lvl30 loot :mad:

(2) Then, second boss in Eternity Vault, Gharj has a nasty bug where, if you wipe and then reenter the instance the boss will at random instant kill (from miles away) each member of the ops team at random. Leaving the group, the instance, and running in the republic fleet cantine its no avail. He still kills you, one shot style.

Game is still new, but support tickets were ignored and 100k repair costs because a boss wants to kill you outside the instance sucks.

(3) Not sure if this counts but, first boss of Heroic Essels is insanely hard, compared to other flashpoints. Enrages on my team at 50%. Yet we have no trouble elsewhere when it comes to bosses and enrage timers. :confused:

Despite all the problems, it's still highly enjoyable.

Fara,

Jedi Shadow,

Tome of Freedon Nadd

in wow we had dual spec, we could be damage and change to healing spec.

In this game we dont, for me at the moment it cost me as sage 50k+ to change from damage to healing. At below 30 it worked to heal as damage, higher up it doesent.

If you complain about insatnces below the 30 mark however, i suggest you play the flashpoints 4-5 levels below you. You still get exp and the lore, but its a lot easier :)

I can say this.

People who raid a lot are used to this kind of difficultly.

People who don't raid might find the flash-points a little more challenging then most other MMOs

Going to add in that with more levels and beter gear things get easy really fast aswel.

This was however the same with cataclysm heroics and there they made the mistake of nerfing the fights what made them too easy 2 months in. While having cleared them in the first week it required some thinking as gear wasn't overcompensating for your mistakes.

However i already read that a lot of these fights were tweaked down during the testing stages of this game, what is a shame.

I want to say that as a veteran i don't really find them difficult, there are good base mechanics to build further on more advanced dungeons and i do hope they don't consider making heroic and what not version of dungeons easier so that the newer players to the genre can manage them, as then we are stuck on the ride that all dungeons for this first period will be too easy.

tl;dr, Making dungeons hard makes people adjust and learn the mechanics beter what gives the developer more options to advance on that. Decreasing the difficulty and a lot of interesting mechanics can be lost. That's not to say they should be unforgivable but gradually increasing the difficulty will make it beter for everyone in the long run.

Have to say but we all know it's coming, that a combat log to see what people died from atleast would be helpfull in the long run as in some flashpoints it's a guessing game what killed you making you doubt if it's working as intended or not.

Just want to shout out to whoever designed the first boss in False emperor on hard mode....

**** YOU! THE DAMN TOWERS DONT FIRE HALF THE TIME WE USE THEM AND IF THEY DONT WE DIE IN A MISSLE BARRAGE FROM HELL...

please dont change it I wish to defeat him while he is like this -_-....

It was mainly just the bosses. The trash is all pretty easy, but they have managed to slap a good challenge on the bosses. This was also a whole group of 21s or below, nobody was overlevel for the flashpoint.

The bosses in Athiss are easy. The Beast? Simple add burn fight. Prophet? Don't get hit by fire balls and DPS him down.

Very simple to execute fights. Very easy.

Errrrr. please INCREASE the level of difficulty in this game. It really makes me feel dumb playing it.

Also, I felt that while pugging in flashpoints, many do not know how to play their role. Making the game easy will continue to serve these people.

The flashpoints are the main feature of the game that I enjoy. For the most part they seem appropriately tuned. I just wish more people enjoyed running them as much as I do. It's kind of hit or miss whether or not groups are available for any but the lowest level ones, and it's really boring waiting around in the fleet for a group to get together.

ITT: People who did not read the OP and/or people who will brag about how "ezmode" they find the game.

Perhaps I should have seen this coming.

The epeen is strong in this one.

I may have been undergeared as the healer, idk. I'm not sure if its SUPPOSED to take 3 Underworld Medicines and 2 Kolto Packs to heal through one of the last boss' DoTs.

I've only run two Flashpoints so far - Esseles and Hammer Station - but I'm having fun with them.

Esseles lures you into a false sense of security, I think. It's not that difficult, as it's probably designed to be a sort of tutorial on Flashpoints. Hammer Station, however, proved to be quite the challenge and my friends and I enjoyed it. First two of us with companions tried to tackle it and wiped a few times. Then we brought in a third person and STILL wiped a few times on the last boss. We got him eventually though.

It's been years since I've actually had to learn an instance and its boss fights and it's pretty rewarding when you figure it out for yourself rather than looking up videos online.

I have only 1 requeat abut diff of flshpoint.

PLS !!! make it so hard as it was in RIFT ( expert dungeons ). DIff lvl in rift before 1st major patch was insane 1 mistake and u wipe. I love doing flashpoints put so more mechanics to make our life misreble. And belive me satysfaction after u finish that kind of run its amazing.

Edited by Hersin