Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Why do people care so much about this?

...Because it should have been here all along?

Why do you care about things you care about? Why are others' concerns any different?

They do fix bugs, and they have added other content, and no one is saying they shouldn't.

But they also said this would be in, and they said when it will be in. So yes, I expect them to hold to that. Why shouldn't I?

Edited by Uluain

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Because it should have been here all along?

Why do you care about things you care about? Why are others' concerns any different?

They do fix bugs, and they have added other content, and no one is saying they shouldn't.

But they also said this would be in, and they said when it will be in. So yes, I expect them to hold to that. Why shouldn't I?

Whilst I stated earlier in this thread I would have no problem with SGR being added tomorrow, your posts do come accross as extremely arrogant.

In reality you have the word of writers / developers who mostly no longer even work for BW. The amount of actual commitment to implementing SGR is quite scarce and from what I have seen amounts to maybe half a dozen references to this feature being added.

The tone of your posts however is that this is actually definitely coming and as we all know, until its confirmed with a release date by a dev and detailed in patch notes then nothing is guaranteed.

You are so emphatic it actually makes me wonder, why have BW been so scant on detail and so quiet about SGR aside from the generic "yeah we'd love to add that to the game and its in definitely in the works" type of response?

Driz

Why do people care so much about this? :jawa_confused:

Storyline development stops with your class story and gear and items basically become ways to show off... so who cares? The operations and pvp in this game are such a minor part of the overall story.

They can push this off for another year for all i care if they can fix their bugs and get some real new content out.

It's all a matter of perspective. For people who care more about the class stories than the endgame, this is a big deal, whether they're LGBT or not. My smuggler and warrior are still camping at level 1, where they've been for a year now, because I don't want to screw myself out of content that I've been told is coming and that I've planned into those characters' stories.

The tone of your posts however is that this is actually definitely coming and as we all know, until its confirmed with a release date by a dev and detailed in patch notes then nothing is guaranteed.

I think you're reading more in his post that's not there.

Uluain posted that the devs stated SGRA's will be added (which they did) and when (which they also did) and he expects them to hold to this (which is reasonable).

Not quite the same as saying they are definitely coming.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I think you're reading more in his post that's not there.

Thank you.

I am just saying what they have said. If it came out a bit sharp, that's because we have in fact asked and not been told otherwise.

So I am counting on them keeping their word. We gave them all this time since March to say "yeah, we're having to push this back for the forseeable future" if that is what they need to do. Which they do say, sometimes, about some things (like the hood toggle). That's all.

Whilst I stated earlier in this thread I would have no problem with SGR being added tomorrow, your posts do come accross as extremely arrogant.

In reality you have the word of writers / developers who mostly no longer even work for BW. The amount of actual commitment to implementing SGR is quite scarce and from what I have seen amounts to maybe half a dozen references to this feature being added.

You are so emphatic it actually makes me wonder, why have BW been so scant on detail and so quiet about SGR aside from the generic "yeah we'd love to add that to the game and its in definitely in the works" type of response?

Driz

You use "whilst" and say I sound conceited? ;) My tone is just frustrated and impatient.

As you point out, the original announcement (which remains the stock reply from CS) is by the former Community Manager, who left the studio last May. The Guild summit statement was by Daniel Erickson, who has also left BioWare this past summer. And you are right – that is all we have to go on.

Which is why we have a thread here, asking if this is all still legit, and why I have very strongly recommended that a new statement on this content might be to the good.

We – meaning the players who keep up this thread – shouldn't be the ones having to justify the inclusion of this content. If you want to know why BioWare is adding it, ask them.

Much as I'd like to see some FemTwi-FemTwi action, the other posters are sadly correct.

A few posts from a year ago from people who have mostly left the developer doesn't really count in MMO development terms. If this was happening there would have been some sort of update or feedback. Face it, it's not happening, or at least not for a long time. F2P to try and stave off financial disaster will have taken overriding priority.

I'm sorry to say it, but someone has to. If you're playing in the hope that SGRA's are coming "Soon" , then I suggest you find some other leisure activity.

The fact that Stephen Reid and Daniel Erickson have left is why we're constantly pestering the Community Team for an update (you may or may not have seen my whargle-bargle a few pages back) - we realise that the game and development has gone into total upheaval from the Free2Play announcement and the general issues of this being their first MMO. The closest we've had to an official word since May (May? Guild Summit was May?) is Mr. Amatengelo's "if, maybe, not sure".

If this was on hold, or scrapped, I would have hoped they would have let us know. However, given Bioware's wonderful ability to convey the time of day, let alone anything else, I find that somewhat doubtful. I - and others - live with the assumption that previous statements are correct, but need confirmation of this.

If anything, at this point, this thread survives because we'd rather the content not fall by the way side.

It's easy to say "put this on hold for bug fixes", but extension of that means that warzones, Operations and FlashPoints should also be on hold until people can actually play the game with stability and certainty. I mean, what's the point in releasing two new warzones if people can't stay connected for more than an hour or if their face suddenly and disturbingly melts into their chest?

If this was on hold, or scrapped, I would have hoped they would have let us know. However, given Bioware's wonderful ability to convey the time of day, let alone anything else, I find that somewhat doubtful. I - and others - live with the assumption that previous statements are correct, but need confirmation of this.

Yeah, they are pretty bad at conveying information on upcoming features/changes beyond the new features that is the highlight of their patch (like, F2P and HK-fifty-whatever).

I don't consider SGRA's to be a 'new' feature but more like an alteration/improvement of an existing feature. Those type of changes tend to just show up un-announced on the PTS and in the PTS patch notes. I'm guessing the same will happen with SGRA's.

So, yeah, I don't think their silence means "not going to see this" given their track record.

It would still be nice to hear some details now, but I'm not expecting anything until it hits the PTS.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I don't consider SGRA's to be a 'new' feature but more like an alteration/improvement of an existing feature. Those type of changes tend to just show up un-announced on the PTS and in the PTS patch notes. I'm guessing the same will happen with SGRA's.

Which will result in a lot of the "anti" crowd yelling at Bioware for trying to sneak SGRA's in through the back door.

I personally think it would be better for everyone involved if Bioware just starts to bloody talk about the subject. They've made it into an issue by not releasing it at launch and then not talking about it.

See, that is the one thing that did not seem in doubt from Gabe Amatangelo's interview. He didn't know if it was the Makeb content patch or not, and said so, but he was quite assured that same-gender romance was being worked on and would be implemented. That's as-of roughly August 16, and he is still very much with the studio.

Likewise, at one point in time, Hall Hood (lead writer) pointed to that same video interview as "the official word", but seems to have been required to retract that without comment, and the post no longer shows on his Twitter feed.

So no, we do not only have year old assurances from people no longer with the studio, but those remain the only substantive ones. I am playing because I like the game for the most part, and to give BioWare the rest of the year to keep its promises. After that, we'll see.

Which will result in a lot of the "anti" crowd yelling at Bioware for trying to sneak SGRA's in through the back door.

Probably, but they will complain regardless.

I'm still of the impression that there won't be a lot of companion SGRA's added so a lot of people on the PTS probably won't even notice, especially if they glossed over the patch notes. Though, I'd say the average SWTOR gamer doesn't have an issue with SGRA anyway.

I do expect a few "I can flirt with <insert male companion's name> wth? Is this a bug??!??" threads to pop up though.

So no, we do not only have year old assurances from people no longer with the studio, but those remain the only substantive ones.

I don't think it matters that they are no longer with the company. The statement was made while they represented EA/BW and TOR and I think the statements stick with the company and not the individuals that made them.

But...would still like to hear something new from a current employee :D

Edited by stuffystuffs

I don't think it matters that they are no longer with the company. The statement was made while they represented EA/BW and TOR and I think the statements stick with the company and not the individuals that made them.

But...would still like to hear something new from a current employee :D

Well, in truth, I don't either. But people are using their departure as fodder for saying this won't (or shouldn't) happen, so a new position statement might be all to the good.

As for wanting to hear something from someone with the studio now, you are not alone. In fact. at my last count, posts addressing SGRs made up about 27% of the Hall Hood Developer Q&A thread on General Discussion. ;)

Well, in truth, I don't either. But people are using their departure as fodder for saying this won't (or shouldn't) happen, so a new position statement might be all to the good.

As for wanting to hear something from someone with the studio now, you are not alone. In fact. at my last count, posts addressing SGRs made up about 27% of the Hall Hood Developer Q&A thread on General Discussion. ;)

When do we expect the answers to be? I want to know when I should buy comfort food.

No idea. It only went up on the 1st. I imagine they may give it a full week. If I were feeling really diligent, I'd go look to see how long other Dev threads remained open for questions, but I am having after-dinner coffee and feeling torpid.

Driz

BioWare actually has a history of including SGRs in their games, since the first full-on SGRs in Jade Empire. The Mass Effect and Dragon Age series had them as well, so now it's not an "if" question but a "when" question for most BioWare fans. I admit that I couldn't make a female toon at the start for an SGR with Kira. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game. It's a fun game with great storytelling.

My point is that it's expected of BioWare these days. The game sales of Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age didn't suffer because of SGRs. From deducing EA's shady policies from over 10 years of having to deal with ticked off customers, I'm pretty sure that they, not BioWare, are holding SGRs up here.

And no shut-down.. maybe they're doing the whole hog later in the week, maybe it's not ready yet. "This year" is looking shaky, though.

(Time for another) "Hello? Is this thing on? Major Tom to Community Team?"

Edit - we're rounding home on #3000, a big round number is a nice place for a Yellow post. Jus' sayin' :sul_wink:

Edited by Palar

And no shut-down.. maybe they're doing the whole hog later in the week, maybe it's not ready yet. "This year" is looking shaky, though.

(Time for another) "Hello? Is this thing on? Major Tom to Community Team?"

Give it a shot, they don't talk to me anymore :)

Like Uluain said, they like to release big patches on Thursdays.

Been off the forums for a while so I may have missed a previous discussion about it - Disney acquiring LucasArts, thereby final creative control over content in this game. Is it time to start panicking about SGRs being shelved for good yet?

I'm asking out of genuine interest because as a non-American, I really don't know much about the political side of Disney, as it appears set to "represent core american beliefs".

Been off the forums for a while so I may have missed a previous discussion about it - Disney acquiring LucasArts, thereby final creative control over content in this game. Is it time to start panicking about SGRs being shelved for good yet?

I'm asking out of genuine interest because as a non-American, I really don't know much about the political side of Disney, as it appears set to "represent core american beliefs".

considering a series from Marvel I was reading post buy out there that had Lesbian love, insane amounts of drug use, random fling with some guy in a bar and over the top violence - I don't think there is need to worry much.

Walt Disney Company has a good history of letting their IPs stay as they are, people just knee jerk when they hear Disney and think of Walt Disney studios.

Edited by MatronAdena

Disney is actually a fairly well known supporter of gay rights. They've been doing "gay days" at their parks for at least 20 years or so, and the Southern Baptist Convention even organized a large (fairly ineffective) boycott against Disney in 1997 that lasted eight years because Disney extended health benefits to gay partners of employees. Earlier this year, Tokyo Disney decided to allow same-sex marriages (or, at least, a commitment ceremony, since gay marriage is illegal in japan) in the park.

Disney is no threat at all to the inclusion of gay romances in TOR.