State of the Server?

Cavell

Thinking of rerolling over here, just curious how the server is. Population decent (especially during off hours)? Imps outnumber Pubs, I'm assuming?

Any auction house inflation? I've got a potential credit swap lined up with a guy from here who rerolled on my server, so hopefully I can twink out my Guardian on the road to 50.

Would you recommend POT5 for a soloer?

It's okay...imps outnumber reps as usual. The GTN is okay for the most part with occassional spikes where items are overpriced. The PvE is surprisingly good on the server considering it is a pvp server. And of course the pvp is there, but there are a lot of really bad players on both factions. You can expect to find warzones filled with smashmonkies and bubblestunners.

The only problems this server seems to have is a lack of low/mid tier start up rateds teams. If a lot of the newer and smaller guilds would play rateds this place would seems more complete, to me anyway.

I think the issue is they wind up running into you guys and then they all quit after 1 game of rateds. If there was some way to get them to face each other then they might stick around longer or actually get better.

Thinking of rerolling over here, just curious how the server is. Population decent (especially during off hours)? Imps outnumber Pubs, I'm assuming?

I have Imp toons on the server but haven't used them in months, so all of my observations are from the Pub side of things.

Server population is great at all times. Sunday night has the highest population, with 2 nearly-full fleet instances. Daytime population is fine for PvP, and I never have to wait longer than 5 mins for a 50 WZ (it's often 2mins or less). Nighttime queues are even shorter. Imps probably have twice as many players as Pubs, so if you choose to roll Imp you will have even more people. The 10-49 queue for PvP is shorter than the 50 one, and you can always find people running flashpoints.

If you are into PvE, Group Finder works great on Pot5. Tanks never have to wait longer than 5 minutes. Healers get a literal insta-pop at all times of days, with the longest wait time being no more than 1 minute. Even DPS get their dailys done, with queue times rarely exceeding 30 mins on a bad day (it's realistically 10-15 mins tops).

Would you recommend POT5 for a soloer?

I leveled from 1-50 on 3 characters as a soloer. There were always lots of other soloers to do Heroics through about level 35 (when it dropped off a bit). It's also pretty easy to find someone to level with if you are just roaming around planets doing quests.

Hope to see you around! Keep responding with questions if you have them. It's a great server (especially for PvP) and we would love to have you.

I think the issue is they wind up running into you guys and then they all quit after 1 game of rateds. If there was some way to get them to face each other then they might stick around longer or actually get better.

Like RWZ brackets? It's an unfortunate chicken-and-egg argument because you need groups to populate the brackets and you need brackets to get more groups. Perhaps they will implement something like this in the xpac.

I would argue that the community (players) have a bad way of dealing with losses as well as wins. In other games winning or losing are both typical outcomes of your performance, some more than others, for example Starcraft 2's match making system tries to make sure you're win/loss is closer to 50%. In FPS a lot of good players are used to getting 30-1 K/D ratios or coming from maybe WoW arena where their win/loss is maybe closer to 60-80% wins. Then they come here lose more than a couple and get discouraged, people should remember that in this game, just as any activity, one can only progress by repeating actions and gaining (actual) experience and then learning from that.

The Queue > lose > never queue again type of gameplay that is plaguing rateds makes this game less fun for everyone. Casual can lose, and when they do they most definitely queue again, which is a mantra I would encourage all rated players to look into.

The Queue > lose > never queue again type of gameplay that is plaguing rateds makes this game less fun for everyone. Casual can lose, and when they do they most definitely queue again, which is a mantra I would encourage all rated players to look into.

Casual can lose, yes, but how often at the end of the match do you say "We had a 1% chance of winning that game"? It's not fun losing 6-0 in huttball, getting 3 capped in Civil war, or going to south in Novare and being killed as soon as you drop from the spawn area.

Yeah, if the teams played together for months and practiced they might stand a chance against you guys, but even then it's unlikely as you have some of the best PVPers on the server. Not everyone can be the best, even with hours and hours of practice.

If they'd put in cross-server queues and a decent matchmaking system you'd see a ton more teams queueing up. If I went into ranked feeling like I had a 50% chance of winning, or playing against a team with a similar skill level, I'd be happy to keep queueing. This is a video game, I play to have fun. Getting crushed game after game isn't fun. Crushing the other team in the first few minutes so all they do is stand at their node farming medals isn't fun.

I haven't played on anything else except now defunct servers (Deadweight -> fatman -> POT5), so I can't compare to other servers that are still alive, but I solo queue almost exclusively and have no problems. I'm usually on between 5:30ish-8ish PM EST, and anytime during the weekends. Have no trouble getting queueus to pop one right after another (hard to get the dishes done in between sometimes :) ). I'm on pub side. I lose plenty, but also win plenty. Example: Tuesday night - 4 losses, 2 wins. Last night: 1 loss, 6 wins. (Got queued with a HSP 4-man three times in a row, so that helped :) ).

yeah it seemed like it would be loads of fun to have the game locked away like HSP did against my pug the other night 3 games straight. hahaha

as much as everyone complains about how much HSP have the warzones locked down, remember they can and do die. SIndeni, Banshi I am looking at you!!!...

If the team you are playing is beating you then find their weakness, they can't be everywhere at once. only their voices can. use travel time to your advantage.

Here's the thing: You are going to get good premades with good team compositions on any PvP server. The nice thing about Pot5 is that RELATIVE TO OVERALL POPULATION, we have a good premade balance.

I am a bit of a data nut, so I keep track of my warzones and a few associated metrics in a spreadshet. One of those is premade to pug ratio. As a good general ratio, about 65-70% of all games will have a premade on either side. 30-35% will just be more or less pure pug (or maybe have a premade of purely unguilded players).

Of those premade games, You see a pretty solid 2 to 3 ratio of Pub to Imp premades. That is, for every 3 games with an Imp premade, you will also have 2 games with a Pub premade. Although Imps have more premades than Pubs, the Imp premades also have a lower overall win rate at about 60%. Pub premades, on the other hand, tend to win about 70% of their games.

Of course, having a premade of your own against a premade on the other faction helps out a lot. When Imp and Pub premades collide, you see a pretty consistent 50/50 win/loss ratio. When pugs and premades collide, you naturally see a major uphill battle; only about 25% of pure pug teams are going to pull out a win against their premade enemies.

These are all rough estimates, but they get the idea across. Sample size is statistically small (n = 100), but quite large relative to other “analyses” done in this game; I am used to seeing a lot of n=10 or n=20. Also, “sampling” is totally misleading because there is nothing random about WZ wins and losses; I am a consistent player on my own team, although I have excluded those games where I deliberately queue up with my guild to not skew the premade ratio.

I would love to queue more rated, requiring 8 people in specific compositions is what keeps me out... To challenging to get the people on at the same time, even though I play quite frequently. /sigh

This may not be WoW, and it may not be PvE, but getting 8 people of specific class/spec online at the same time for rateds is exponentially easier than getting 40 people online at the same time for a WoW raid. I understand that the population on PoT5 increments this challenge, but guilds like mine (HSP), Casual, Ubique, Brutalize, and Hostile Takeover didn't just spring up overnight. It takes time to meet good players in pugs and convince them to form a group together in order to progress to the next level of PvP in this game. Concurrently, It takes time to build synergy between those people and gain ability as a team.

The only problems this server seems to have is a lack of low/mid tier start up rateds teams. If a lot of the newer and smaller guilds would play rateds this place would seems more complete, to me anyway.

Well I dont think anyone wants to queue without augments, the best gear possible, and the perfect team composition. If you wanna have a chance at winning, get the best gear possible etc.

Topic:

Cavell I rerolled here and left 4 50s alone until transfers, I know your pain to reroll without your main 50s but I'm not gonna let it bother me. My motivation was lack of competition in PvP, specifically imp side on my old server and I wanted more frequent OPvP and this server seems to provide just that. I'm currently leveling my jug and I see OPvP left and right while I'm leveling, I enjoy getting ganked and taking on 2 pubs, 2v1, I love the challenge. I decided to get into PvP in this game again and I will do just that. I plan to level 3 more 50s before the expansion. Leveling really doesn't take that long, it may be a yawning experience sometimes but just level and take a break in between.

Edited by Jonoku

I really wish Bioware would have added the solo/4 man group queue rateds that they once talked about. Can't speak to how competitive that would be, but it seems like it would have been fun to just randomly queue up for rateds with a couple people. Would also lower the entry level barrier from getting ranked comms from that, as well as creating stepping stones for small groups to form and eventually merge into a full out 8 man ranked team.

This may not be WoW, and it may not be PvE, but getting 8 people of specific class/spec online at the same time for rateds is exponentially easier than getting 40 people online at the same time for a WoW raid. I understand that the population on PoT5 increments this challenge, but guilds like mine (HSP), Casual, Ubique, Brutalize, and Hostile Takeover didn't just spring up overnight. It takes time to meet good players in pugs and convince them to form a group together in order to progress to the next level of PvP in this game. Concurrently, It takes time to build synergy between those people and gain ability as a team.

totally agree, working on getting there, one day :)

IDK how it was in wow, but getting 100+ people in daoc to do the toughest PVE was no where near as challenging as getting 8 elite players with the right classes in this game on at the same time to do rateds. Even getting good players to do the same content with 50+ players wasn't that tough. 8 Elite players with the perfect classes in this game to even stand a chance is pretty tough to get on at the same time consistently. That is why there is only 5-8 or so guilds that que regularly for ranked.

I was refering to HSP kicking my ranked pug in rateds btw, I think facing them is always fun in regs because I know we can put up a good fight :p It all comes down to who the other 4 are on both sides. Pugging against them in rateds was not so fun. I knew the 8 on my side... and 4 of them... lolol

on a side note: i think the server is in a good state, and I like that there seem to be a decent number of good teams out there, hope that I can get the 8 together to make one as well.

Edited by Crerin

I would love to queue more rated, requiring 8 people in specific compositions is what keeps me out... To challenging to get the people on at the same time, even though I play quite frequently. /sigh

Yep. Every team only needs ONE of a given class (if any at all). It's unfortunate. I've said this in the pvp forums, the very nature of rated as it stands now makes it its own worst enemy. I love my sniper but I feel like I've hit a developmental wall. It's not that I'd rock rateds - I wouldn't.

It's more like - I'm not going to get better unless I can do rateds a couple nights a week, and thats impossible. So I'm onto the next leveling project part time again.