What happened to the Christmas Tauntaun?

Screaming_Ziva

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

disappointed

As long as you know that just because I have been subbed continuously from the start this may be subject to change too.

Can the devs let us know when they are coming into the game again - I have snowballs with your names on them :(

I saw them on the CS next X-mas in a force vision.

You are awesome.

I imagine it was something like this :

Twas the night before Life Day, and somewhere on Hoth

Sat a cute festive taun-taun, and his master, Darth Moff.

The weather was cold; it was blowing a gale,

Darth Moff, he was freezing - his skin turning pale.

He turned to his chum, and said 'Taun-taun, my friend?'

'If I don't get warm soon, I'll be meeting my end!'.

'That's awful' said taun-taun, standing up with a cry.

'I don't know what I'd do if you happened to die'.

'I wish there was some way I could come to your aid.'

'But as I'm a taun-taun, I've no clue, I'm afraid'

'Don't worry,' said Moff 'I can think for us both,'

'And I know of a way to survive, here on Hoth'

And then he stood up, and unleashed his sabre.

And although he was freezing, his arm didn't waver.

A horrible cry rang out through the blizzard.

As Moff opened up taun-taun from his feet to his gizzard.

'Not bad' thought Darth Moff, as he climbed deep inside.

'Apart from the smell, it's a good place to hide.'

And all through the night, he slept snug and warm.

And woke rested, on Life Day, safe from all harm.

Happy Life Day Everyone!

disappointed

As long as you know that just because I have been subbed continuously from the start this may be subject to change too.

Can the devs let us know when they are coming into the game again :(

When what it is coming into the game again?

THANK GOD! I commend anyone at Bioware who had the guts to pull it :)

Or the Canon Police over at Disney put a kabosh on it as well. Regardless, it was the correct decision to make.

disappointed

Can the devs let us know when they are coming into the game again - I have snowballs with your names on them :(

And just so you know, if this monstrosity had made it into the game, the subject of my subscription (as well as those of a few family members) would have be likely to change as well. See - two can play that game.

Or the Canon Police over at Disney put a kabosh on it as well. Regardless, it was the correct decision to make.

Hahahaha, doubt it had anything to do with Disney. *points to Star Trek movies*

More like they know they pushed their luck with the christmas light mount last year, and they were REALLY pushing it with the red nose Tauntaun.

Edited by mecher

Remember how when you were a kid and you found a present you weren't supposed to find (Xmas, birthday, etc.) and your parents flat out lied to you and told you it was something else like a present for your cousin or something?

Maybe that's what Eric is doing...

Today: Nope, sorry. We decided to scrap that idea so you won't be seeing it.

Next Week: Surprise! It was for you all along!

Anyone who says that they were considering unsubscribing because the rudolph Tauntaun is so horrible is an idiot. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I hate those huge *** boats that some people use as mounts. I think they look absolutely retarded, and are unnecessarily huge. I'm not going to unsubscribe because I think the devs should remove them from the game. I simply won't use them.

I for one was really excited about this mount, and was prepared to spend $10-20 on it. It would have been my first official Cartel Purchase using real money, aside from the coins I get from subscribing.

Anyone who says that they were considering unsubscribing because the rudolph Tauntaun is so horrible is an idiot. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

As are the ones who would so threaten for it rightly not being implemented in the game, which was the point of my comment.

Out of curiosity, with the whole "don't like it, don't buy it" thing, would it come with a switch that would prevent other people from buying it, or to turn it invisible because, perhaps, part of that whole not liking thing is because of the way it looks, and even if I were not to buy it, I would still have to see it, just like those other speeders you mentioned, amiright?

You see, the difference is (despite its unappealing size), one can be considered "Star Warsy" and fits in with the overall feel and design of the game. The other distinctly is not, and does not even fit in with Life Day either. Amazing how many people cry and bemoan the lack of the Star Wars look and feel with many things in this game, but garbage like this Tauntaun suddenly becomes OK.

Edited by TravelersWay

Do I have an option not to see them?

No.

Do they even fit with Life Day?

No.

Are they just Christmas being forced into SW:TOR?

Yes.

Are those mounts you QQing about at least remotely about Star Wars?

Yes.

Hey folks,

Item prototypes are among the types of things you can see on the Public Test Server. Like all things on the PTS, they are subject to change and in some cases to not make it into the game at all. This happens to be one of those cases. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Well, that generally sucks. It was a way better idea than the rest of the "Life Day" stuff that made it in.

Thank you Eric, that at least is some small measure of comfort by not having this monstrosity make into the game.

My opinion of the red nosed Tauntaun is what the Esh-ka leader said on Belsavis:

"An abomination pollutes us."

I'm glad they scrapped the idea.

An abomination has been destroyed!:)

it pretty **** the reasone they give why didnt make to normal server and why delete something fully when in pts. Also how hard can it t reskin a tauntaun. :rak_02::( still heavyly disapointed, bc was something cool for then ****** life robe *** is that how can come for second year noone god wears it.

As are the ones who would so threaten for it rightly not being implemented in the game, which was the point of my comment.

I agree, I don't think anyone should QQ enough to unsub either way.

Out of curiosity, with the whole "don't like it, don't buy it" thing, would it come with a switch that would prevent other people from buying it, or to turn it invisible because, perhaps, part of that whole not liking thing is because of the way it looks, and even if I were not to buy it, I would still have to see it, just like those other speeders you mentioned, amiright?

I may dislike those speeders, even a great deal. But I wouldn't ever expect the devs to make an option so that I cant see them. Just like I wouldn't ask the devs to create a way to bypass a planet I don't like. There are always going to be things in a game that someone dislikes. You can't make everyone happy, EVER. It never works. Subs just need to learn to roll with the punches; take the good with the bad.

You see, the difference is (despite its unappealing size), one can be considered "Star Warsy" and fits in with the overall feel and design of the game. The other distinctly is not, and does not even fit in with Life Day either. Amazing how many people cry and bemoan the lack of the Star Wars look and feel with many things in this game, but garbage like this Tauntaun suddenly becomes OK.

Sure, those speeders are "star warsy", but they are definitely unnecessarily large. Sure the Tauntaun isn't exactly Star Wars looking. But whats the problem if I want to install a red nose covering on my Tauntaun? People put reindeer antlers, red noses, eye lashes and all kinds of crap on their cars. I dislike those things too. I think they are a disgrace to cars everywhere. At least it looks clever on a Tauntaun, as opposed to a car.

Do I have an option not to see them?

No.

Do I have an option to not see the stuff I dislike in the game? No.

Do they even fit with Life Day?

No.

Does everything always have to be perfect? No. I think we can allow the devs to bring in some holiday cheer. After all, the vast majority of society does celebrate Christmas. Even most people who are not religious. In fact, people who share different religions are more accepting of Christmas than those who choose Atheism or agnosticism. Just like I fully endorse Hanukkah, even though I'm not Jewish.

Are they just Christmas being forced into SW:TOR?

Yes.

Refer to my above answer.

Are those mounts you QQing about at least remotely about Star Wars?

Yes.

Yes, they are about Star Wars. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to complain about anything in the game that is Star Wars? That I'm only allowed to complain if the devs try to introduce something outside of Star Wars? This is, after all, a fictitious galaxy in a video game, being played by masses across the world.

Honestly, I highly doubt the majority of TOR players across the world disagree with introducing a little Christmas into the game. As with polls done by newspapers and journals, it's the extremists who post complaints and who raise their voices. And the fact is, at least in the case of newspapers and the like, those numbers are vastly skewed. They do not represent the true opinions of every gamer in TOR. If we wanted to know that, the devs would have to post a game-wide mandatory poll. And I'm willing to bet real life dollars that the majority of players probably don't care either way about the Rudolph Tauntaun, and that the people opposing it are really quite few in number.

I was very instersted if it had came in my eyes would have been best vintage/unique item in game. And i know many more that wanted the tauntaun. I still am very disapointed. They made black page in my christmas. Soul_Step, you may not like but some do. even if majority wouldnt like there still people want it badly. And now they wont get it. Bc some idiote. And so you would rather have nother reskinned varactyl, the 5th gosh darn reskinned. Implace of nice joyble tauntaun that let us think of happy christmas?

Bioware needs make new stuff not some stupid reskin. It feels like they lazy.

Edited by SchadowBlade

Hey folks,

Item prototypes are among the types of things you can see on the Public Test Server. Like all things on the PTS, they are subject to change and in some cases to not make it into the game at all. This happens to be one of those cases. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

So, does this mean the WInter Warrior title is out too? Or is that being held till Christmas?

I was very instersted if it had came in my eyes would have been best vintage/unique item in game. And i know many more that wanted the tauntaun. I still am very disapointed. They made black page in my christmas. Soul_Step, you may not like but some do. even if majority wouldnt like there still people want it badly. And now they wont get it. Bc some idiote. And so you would rather have nother reskinned varactyl, the 5th gosh darn reskinned. Implace of nice joyble tauntaun that let us think of happy christmas?

Bioware needs make new stuff not some stupid reskin. It feels like they lazy.

Dude, to make a total new item takes a long *** time. Go download (if you can find it for free) 3d Max, I think its called, try to make what is called a "mesh" then go texture it, see how long it takes you to do.

On IMVU, I retexture stuff a lot, add my own symbols, colors, and such, and let me tell you, if there is 1 mess up on the mesh (A mesh is a basic outline of a piece of clothing) you will see the characters skin, or nothing there at all.

It takes a buddy of mine, about a month to get a full set of clothing textured, if not longer. So, with that being said, it is easier to get something retextured, then it is to mesh a whole new item. The item that was just meshed and textured, has to be worn by whoever tests them all over, every single planet, and instance, to make sure there is not a SINGLE missing piece of mesh.

Edited by ViktorDonovan
add more info

ViktorDonovan Dude after *********** 4th varactyl you think anyone is waiting on new one, release something new, simple. And if i would instersted myself in texturing all that ****. I heard it can be done 6 weeks and you know when christmas is so they schould plan it better then. It for god sake big *********** company. We not talking about new company that needs learn things. Also dont start with next year you will have it. Bc how the do we know if swtor exist or that we still be playing at that time. Tbh i dont realy matter if they release after christmas dont care. Such disapionted to hear mgiht only come next *********** christmas *********** 370 days away. Also if was on dulfy for atleast 2 week and now they say it isnt on, *********** 5 days before christmas. That just bad. Edited by SchadowBlade

I may dislike those speeders, even a great deal. But I wouldn't ever expect the devs to make an option so that I cant see them. Just like I wouldn't ask the devs to create a way to bypass a planet I don't like. There are always going to be things in a game that someone dislikes. You can't make everyone happy, EVER. It never works. Subs just need to learn to roll with the punches; take the good with the bad.

Unless those punches are things that detract from why someone plays the game. Absolutely not everything is going to please everyone, but once the direction of a game tips the balance of unliked things vs. liked things, then subs have every right to cancel their sub because of it. Should someone unsub solely because of the Tauntaun (either because it was removed or because it was added to the game)? No, but if it is just another one of many things that detract from someone's experience, then yes, they are within their rights to stop paying money towards a game that no longer offers them what they want.

Sure, those speeders are "star warsy", but they are definitely unnecessarily large. Sure the Tauntaun isn't exactly Star Wars looking. But whats the problem if I want to install a red nose covering on my Tauntaun? People put reindeer antlers, red noses, eye lashes and all kinds of crap on their cars. I dislike those things too. I think they are a disgrace to cars everywhere. At least it looks clever on a Tauntaun, as opposed to a car.

There is a difference between what people do in Real Life, and why they enjoy a make believe IP and play a game that is based upon that IP. The speeders are not unnecessarily large - there are speeders of many sizes within the Star Wars universe (i.e. Luke's speeder in E4 could carry 2 people and 2 Droids). Is the size a PIA in certain areas of the game? Absolutely, but at least they fit with the IP and the lore, so as much as they are an annoyance when I need to interact with something, at least they still fit in with the universe and does not break my immersion when playing the game. A Rudolph Tauntaun does not befit the lore, does not befit the IP, and therefore does not befit the universe in which we are playing, thus becomes immersion breaking.

Does everything always have to be perfect? No. I think we can allow the devs to bring in some holiday cheer. After all, the vast majority of society does celebrate Christmas. Even most people who are not religious. In fact, people who share different religions are more accepting of Christmas than those who choose Atheism or agnosticism. Just like I fully endorse Hanukkah, even though I'm not Jewish.

Doesn't matter who celebrates what. One of the draws of playing a game set in a deep and lore-rich IP such as Star Wars is that it is so far removed from our world and thus we can expect not to see nonsense from our world be incorporated into it. That has been one of the joys of playing this game - that we don't have to have the usual MMO and RL tropes in this game which simply serve to ruin the lore aspects of playing which is one of the main draws of being immersed in this universe.

On another note, I would have to disagree with how accepting other people are of Christmas. At least in my region, Christmas comes under constant attack from people who do not celebrate it - everything from complaining about mangers on neighbor's front lawns to using the word Christmas in advertising and signs for local retail stores.

Yes, they are about Star Wars. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to complain about anything in the game that is Star Wars? That I'm only allowed to complain if the devs try to introduce something outside of Star Wars? This is, after all, a fictitious galaxy in a video game, being played by masses across the world.

You can complain about anything you want, but it is wrong to desire something added to the game that is outside of Star Wars. Again, the enjoyment of the IP is because of what it represents and the lore that it contains. To bring in things that are not part of that IP and lore is to remove what makes Star Wars unique and appealing, thus lessens the attraction and IP and makes it as mundane as everything else.

Implace of nice joyble tauntaun that let us think of happy christmas?

If you need some lore- and immersion-breaking garbage in a game to think of a happy Christmas, you have bigger issues than not being able to get said garbage in this game. And if something like that is so important to you, there are plenty of other games out there with their own IPs in which they have created their own lore in which to fit holiday themed things - perhaps you would be better off playing those games for the next couple of weeks. Christmas and other RL holidays do not fit in with Star Wars and do not belong here.

Edited by TravelersWay

Soul_Step arguments fail more then the mount fails to fit into Star Wars in anyway, and that is pretty bad.

Just because you don't have any arguments doesn't mean mine are bad. Mine are very reasonable. The jist of everything I am saying is this: it's a game, it's perfectly fine for them to do something you disagree with. Don't expect a company to cater to your every wish. They are allowed to do things as they see fit, and it's your decision whether or not you want to participate in it. If you decide to not participate, it can look two ways: either you can live with it and do your best to ignore it, or you can unsubscribe. Personally, I choose to roll with the punches of things I don't like about the game. I do this because I know that no game is ever going to be perfect, and I don't expect them to cater to my every wish.

On another note, I would have to disagree with how accepting other people are of Christmas. At least in my region, Christmas comes under constant attack from people who do not celebrate it - everything from complaining about mangers on neighbor's front lawns to using the word Christmas in advertising and signs for local retail stores.

It's actually the minority that complains, they just make a big stink about it. Take some basic psychology courses or stats course and you'll understand.

Unless those punches are things that detract from why someone plays the game.

There are always going to be 'punches' that detract from why someone plays a game. That's kind of the definition of anything in a game that someone dislikes.

Soul_Step, you may not like but some do.

You seriously need to learn to read better. I am clearly pro Rudolph Tauntaun. Also, I'd very much appreciate it if you figured out how to use grammar a bit better. I'm not asking for perfection, but at least read over what you've typed and see if it makes any sense before you post it...