Understanding Ferocity/Armor Penetration

rhinoceroseosei

So in the carnage spec, Ferocity gives me 100% armor penetration. What exactly does this mean for my damage? Does it mean 100% extra damage? My previous understanding was just that an armor penetration attack would do closer to the listed amount of damage, and be hindered less by defenses. So for example, if I used an attack listed for 10k damage, more armor penetration would make it do closer to 10k (assuming no crits or anything like that)?

My previous understanding was just that an armor penetration attack would do closer to the listed amount of damage, and be hindered less by defenses. So for example, if I used an attack listed for 10k damage, more armor penetration would make it do closer to 10k (assuming no crits or anything like that)?

You understood it correctly. Any weapon or energy attack (so, everything you have as Carnage) will completely ignore target's Armor. And Armor is the only thing that directly mitigates this damage. So, any ability used under effect of Ferocity will do the full tooltip's damage. It can still be defended or resisted by something like Force Shroud or Saber Ward. But armor is ignored. Because of this, Carnage's rotation is built around throwing all the biggest attacks (Gore, Devastating Blast, Vicious Throw, Ravage) inside Ferocity while using fillers like Massacre, Assault, Twin Saber throw around it.

Edited by Equeliber