Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name

WeadonismyMaster

All,

On my primary server there is a player who has a name that is a 'slur' against people with Autism. ASD is not something to be joked about, it challenges individuals and many families worldwide. Some people are very profound, some are mild, more than you think, and I am sure you know some of us. Personally its something I have lived with everyday, my whole life.

If this player was using a drug, race, or same sex derogatory a report or two and it would have been addressed. I have reported this guy 6 times now, tickets just get closed, and no name change happens.

I know my feelings are hurt when I see this guy, plain and simple. I am a grown up, and understand the issue is with the player who is an idiot, but I also take issue with the support team not stepping up.

Does BW not recognize disability hate? So slurs against downs, amputees, with epilepsy are fine?

It makes me angry we get all the effort for SGR, which is great, but if you don't fit in the box, they don't hear you. :mad:

Edited by WeadonismyMaster

This is going to come off as crass, but you should probably learn to grow a thicker skin in both the gaming world as well as the internet in general. If you are expecting people not to act like badly behaved, immature children ...or, when they do, you are expecting that they will get punished for it ...you have a real-life awakening coming to you.

This is going to come off as crass, but you should probably learn to grow a thicker skin in both the gaming world as well as the internet in general. If you are expecting people not to act like badly behaved, immature children ...or, when they do, you are expecting that they will get punished for it ...you have a real-life awakening coming to you.

The difference is, here they signed an agreement to act appropriately. So, yes I do expect them to do so.

OP, report the name. If it passes their investigation, it will stay. If if doesn't, that person will be forced to change.

The difference is, here they signed an agreement to act appropriately. So, yes I do expect them to do so.

OP, report the name. If it passes their investigation, it will stay. If if doesn't, that person will be forced to change.

That is the point, I entered in a agreement with BW/EA as well, and part of that has some clear conduct guidelines.

On my primary server there is a player who has a name that is a 'slur' against people with Autism.

Alright. That sux. Agreed.

However...

What did you hope to accomplish by posting here? What would you like us to do OR what would you like to see happen as a result of your sharing this on the community forum?

While I support your cause, I do so by pointing out that the Customer Service forums are that way >.

I hope this helps you.

I agree, people should not be able to have names that harass others. Disabilities are just as serious as racial or gender-based differences. For many people with disabilities, an online game like this is their outlet to pretend for a while that everything is different. A place where their character can move freely, participate fully in actions and conversations, and forget about the difficulties for awhile. This derogatory name referring to autism is not acceptable and should be changed.

And for those of you who say to get thicker skin, that's good advice, sure. But why not also ask people not to be jerks? Can't we at least try for both?

Not trying to go against anyone here but are we sure that was the intent of this person and not their initials or maybe another explaination. ASD would be an acronym and not a slur if I am not mistaken and if it has to do with this maybe it is not for nefarious reasons maybe you should ask this person the meaning or just chat with them about it so that maybe it will clear things up for you. If they show it as mean spirited then yes by all means it needs to be fixed. Parents with children that have this condition tend to really embrace a "I wont let this win attitude" and it may just be a trivial way of showing respect in their own way peolple tend to do things that are questionable not knowing it may be seen in a negative way so talking with this person should help you in taking the next step.

Not trying to go against anyone here but are we sure that was the intent of this person and not their initials or maybe another explaination. ASD would be an acronym and not a slur if I am not mistaken and if it has to do with this maybe it is not for nefarious reasons maybe you should ask this person the meaning or just chat with them about it so that maybe it will clear things up for you. If they show it as mean spirited then yes by all means it needs to be fixed. Parents with children that have this condition tend to really embrace a "I wont let this win attitude" and it may just be a trivial way of showing respect in their own way peolple tend to do things that are questionable not knowing it may be seen in a negative way so talking with this person should help you in taking the next step.

Fair points for certain. The person was using autistic as part of the name in a clearly derogatory way. ASD, is the acronym I used in this post, however, not the player name in question.

I agree, people should not be able to have names that harass others. Disabilities are just as serious as racial or gender-based differences. For many people with disabilities, an online game like this is their outlet to pretend for a while that everything is different. A place where their character can move freely, participate fully in actions and conversations, and forget about the difficulties for awhile. This derogatory name referring to autism is not acceptable and should be changed.

And for those of you who say to get thicker skin, that's good advice, sure. But why not also ask people not to be jerks? Can't we at least try for both?

This post just made me tear up a bit. I love humans sometimes!!!

Glad it got handled. I've been a volunteer at my local schools for a while and have helped with the special needs classes. It is inexcusable to make fun of those with disabilities. But some people do not have the empathy to understand what they are doing. Best thing I can recommend is to report them and, failing that, pray for them. Ignorance is usually the reason, but some people just are jerks. Sadly, while we may one day find a cure for ASD and other issues that affect people, I don't think we will be able to cure ignorance. People have to want to learn and to correct their actions, but most prefer to think that they are right and everybody else is wrong.

Happy gaming.

Appropriate is a state of mind. What is appropriate by one is not appropriate to the next.

people in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove their victimhood. Victim status has become the preferred status in this country. Stop racing to be the next "victim" of something.

people in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove their victimhood. Victim status has become the preferred status in this country. Stop racing to be the next "victim" of something.

People in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove they're funny/witty/clever/better by bringing down others.

Being an ignorant and hateful person who's been lucky enough in his/her life not to have to face something like this, has become the preferred status in every country.

Stop racing to be the next one.

People in this world are in an ever lengthening race to prove they're funny/witty/clever/better by bringing down others.

Being an ignorant and hateful person who's been lucky enough in his/her life not to have to face something like this, has become the preferred status in every country.

Stop racing to be the next one.

Do not conflate my argument by lumping me in with individuals who are ignorant and hateful. I am neither, and I resent you judging me by a few sentences that i am in a race to be the next "funny/witty/clever/better" person by "bringing down others". Thats a shaming tactic meant to end the argument and you represent your ignorance by trying to shame me. The words I speak can be seen in society every single day. The more you are perceived as a "victim" in our society the more benefit you get from that society.

If they are violating the EULA and TOS then bring it to Biowares attention via a ticket. If it does violate then they WILL take care of it. To bring it to the attention of people on the forums they are trying to gain some type of sympathy, or victim status to either themselves, or the group they say they are victimizing.

At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself.

Edited by Brittaany_Banks

Do not conflate my argument by lumping me in with individuals who are ignorant and hateful. I am neither, and I resent you judging me by a few sentences that i am in a race to be the next "funny/witty/clever/better" person by "bringing down others". Thats a shaming tactic meant to end the argument and you represent your ignorance by trying to shame me. The words I speak can be seen in society every single day. The more you are perceived as a "victim" in our society the more benefit you get from that society.

If they are violating the EULA and TOS then bring it to Biowares attention via a ticket. If it does violate then they WILL take care of it. To bring it to the attention of people on the forums they are trying to gain some type of sympathy, or victim status to either themselves, or the group they say they are victimizing.

At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself.

There's an arguement going on in this thread? That's news to me.

Sorry, but you decided to play "Devil's Advocate", and infer that the OP was trying to bring more attention to his "victim" status.

He has EVERY right to bring public attention to this matter. Bioware GMs are NOT perfect people who know how to handle all situations. They mess up and make mistakes out of ignorance.

Words are like a double edged sword. They can hurt, or they can heal. Words DO victimize people.

There are people who have been wrongly accused of things, such as teachers who have been wrongly accused by a student of "inappropriate behaviour", only to have it found out later the student was lying just because they were angry at the teacher for some reason. Even though the teacher is found innocent, the damage is done, his/her reputation in his community is shattered, and the rumors of such an incident can follow them around for the rest of their days. Words of other people made that teacher a victim. He/she can't just choose to ignore it.

"At the end of the day it is just a word, or words. Nobody can make you feel like a victim with words other than yourself." This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.

Edited by CaptRavenous

A couple of things that people always seem to forget.

This is a forum.

When you post something on a forum, people who don't know you will criticize your ideas based on what you just wrote, not what you do in your everyday life. IRL, you might be the exact opposite of an ignorant/bully, but I wouldn't know (nor care). Just like I could be the worst person alive and you wouldn't know.

And that's why I'm baffled as to why you're reacting the way you are. You posted something that I found hateful and I tried to make you see that what you said could be reversed, word for word, to describe the other side of the coin. There was no "tactic" involved nor was I trying to shame you.

After all how could I, since (and I'm quoting you here) "at the end of the day it is just a word, or words"?

The first paragraph is indeed true. There was no need for the OP to post this, other than to maybe raise awareness that it's not just names with sexual innuendos that are against the EULA and TOS.

However, I completely disagree with your last sentence. In this particular case, words are only words to you or me that might not be suffering from autism.

Are there people who try to victimize themselves to gain sympathy? Of course.

Should those people be used as an excuse for the rest of us to not stand up for what's right? Absolutely, 100% not.

There will always be people who choose to victimize themselves because they can. Just like there will always be bullies who will genuinely try to hurt people just because they can.

But what's wrong with your country and every other country in the world, is that we have become desensitized to such a degree that we choose to think we're not standing up for other people because they "like to victimize themselves" while at the same time keeping a blind eye to those other people who are actually being hurt.

Edited by TheNahash

But what's wrong with your country and every other country in the world, is that we have become desensitized to such a degree that we choose to think we're not standing up for other people because they "like to victimize themselves" while at the same time keeping a blind eye to those other people who are actually being hurt.

We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.

Overwrought complaints lacking important details are, in fact, usually posted by trolls. They're not worth getting up on a high horse over. Personally, before I'm willing to sympathize with somebody, I want details, not a vaguely worded whine.

We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.

Overwrought complaints lacking important details are, in fact, usually posted by trolls. They're not worth getting up on a high horse over. Personally, before I'm willing to sympathize with somebody, I want details, not a vaguely worded whine.

Yes this is a tough one without seeing the name or understanding the context of the insult.

One of my characters has a name that starts off (as my name here) with ASB, which is close to the slur but is actually just my initials. My legacy name is a combination of the initals of the first names (five) of my family members. I would be shocked if any one of those names or parts thereof were insulting to someone, but it is possible.

I do not doubt the OP, but more detail is needed before a conclusion can be drawn. We seem to be in an era of oversensitivity and political correctness. Perhaps if a complaint was made and acted upon, there was no need for a less than well defined post in the forum.

I don't mean to offend but...

I don't want to sound racist but...

Just don't add the bits after the but ...it's never funny, wise or kind

and you know it's not, otherwise you wouldn't preface it.

"With all due respect, but..." if someone's posting a straightforward viewpoint and wants to soften the potential impact on a potentially sensitive poster, this preface is justified.

On topic, glad you did it, OP. One name might not win the war, but it does create precedent, which is important.

Edited by Helig