Are we doomed to heal?

Hieny

So perhaps a slight over-exaduration in the title, but as it says are we just healers? I really want to rchoose sorc as, in other MMO's I enjoy range dps with the offspec of healing. All I seem to see here is questions about healing and such. So is it possible to be a competative dps as a sorc for both pvp and pve, or is the only way to get into groups as a healer?

Thanks - Hieny!

Are Assassins doomed to tank? Are mercenaries doomed to heal?

Every AC in this game besides Marauder/sentinel can fill healing or tanking roles.

So no, you aren't doomed to healing.

Sniper/Gunslinger also cannot tank or heal.

Basically, there's 3 ACs who have 2 dps skill trees and 1 tanking tree.

3 ACs have 2 dps trees and 1 healing tree.

2 ACs have 3 dps trees.

It's extremely doubtful that the entirety of the dps population will be in just those two classes.

Sniper/Gunslinger also cannot tank or heal.

Basically, there's 3 ACs who have 2 dps skill trees and 1 tanking tree.

3 ACs have 2 dps trees and 1 healing tree.

2 ACs have 3 dps trees.

It's extremely doubtful that the entirety of the dps population will be in just those two classes.

It's also extremely doubtful that anything short of a high end progression guild will force you to heal.

It's also extremely doubtful that anything short of a high end progression guild will force you to heal.

A smart high end progression guild doesn't force people who have no interest in healing to respec healing. They'll recruit people who want to heal.

That being said, you might find yourself respeccing to heal to get a slot, as healing slots are often easier to get into.

So perhaps a slight over-exaduration in the title, but as it says are we just healers? I really want to rchoose sorc as, in other MMO's I enjoy range dps with the offspec of healing. All I seem to see here is questions about healing and such. So is it possible to be a competative dps as a sorc for both pvp and pve, or is the only way to get into groups as a healer?

Thanks - Hieny!

No.

Currently i am just 34 but have had good dps in my own opinion so far in all flash points or pve encounters. Was using maddness until ~25 then went into lightning.

As no dual spec in this game will stay as pve dps only. Changing to healing would require keybindings...(lot of work, haha :eek:). Also would not be worried of spots in groups and usually nobody has any better chance to get spots in groups it just always looks that to you. Then don't know much about pvp but i bet there we would best as maddness dps or healer.

Theres an overabundance of sorcerers in the game, everyone and their mother wants to shoot lightning off their hands :)

How many of those are going to end up healers? dunno, but the way healing is handled by the UI i doubt many will have the patience. So in the end, healing sorcerers will likely be a minority.

I'm not healing, and my guild knows I'm not healing (as a main spec anyway), so unless they add dual spec I'm not healing.

People don't like it? Tough. If they want a healer so badly they should stop being whiny weaklings and reroll to healer or suck it up and let the rest of the world play the way they want as well.

(I bet Khem approves of this post)

I'm not healing, and my guild knows I'm not healing (as a main spec anyway), so unless they add dual spec I'm not healing.

People don't like it? Tough. If they want a healer so badly they should stop being whiny weaklings and reroll to healer or suck it up and let the rest of the world play the way they want as well.

+50 rep *Khems Face here*

I had planned on going DPS sorc but then did Black Talon and was the only one with any kind of healing. Found that for the first time in any game I've ever played that I enjoyed it. Are we doomed to be healers? Doubt it. I've done a number of Heroics with Assassin tanks and DPS and they were great. I will be happy to heal though.

but remember team mates. If I can't see you I can't heal you. LOS is your friend.

After reading this I just have to say "Go, Sith, Go!" It was that inspirational :D

What bugs me at the early levels (<30) is that just about everyone and their dog can heal but don't want to. It isn't just a sorcerer thing... although there are a whole crapfull of us around.

There are very few fights where the traditional tank-healing-do-nothing-but-heal is needed or wanted. Just like it's damn tough for a tank in those levels to grab and hold all aggro. But you see all these people who are more than capable of self-healing declare themselves to be DPS in a flashpoint, constantly grab aggro off the tank and die rather than stop DPSing to throw themselves a heal... I guess WOW habits die hard.

I'm Madness specced and succesfully healed Mandelorian raiders at 24...even the fight with the 4 elites who all have to die within seconds of each other. As a matter of fact, that's the only fight I've encountered so far where I had to go full heals... we ended up with one dead sorcerer who wouldn't heal himself, but we got the job done.

Even when it's just me and Khem, bubbles, heals and DPS are all part of my rotation for elites and champs or groups of strong. It's what we do: we DPS stuff down but we also heal...it's a helluva an advantage. I'm sure we all do that when soloing but there seems to be a pissy mindset shift in groups... I'll have to file that in the "L2P TOR" category for now.

I understand people not wanting to be pigeonholed into the healer role (although it sure as heck makes finding groups easier) but personally, I'd rather do it myself since I know I can do it well... but whatever, it's just a temporary thing while we level: I'm sure at 50 I wouldn't want to be in a group where I'm the main healer but I'll thorw those heals around when they make sense anyway.

What bugs me at the early levels (<30) is that just about everyone and their dog can heal but don't want to. It isn't just a sorcerer thing... although there are a whole crapfull of us around.

I was in a group yesterday with one other Sorcerer and one Mercenaries. We had a person die doing a four person group quest and the question was ask "We have no healers?" and we got a reply of no, so I healed. I don't mind healing I have done it in other MMOs but you have so many people that can't even throw a heal out. Everybody wants to pew pew. Anyway, pick what you enjoy doing, but good healers will be rare for a while and don't be surprised if you are ask to heal.

Edited by LordDescent

I was in a group yesterday with one other Sorcerer and one Mercenaries. We had a person die doing a four person group quest and the question was ask "We have no healers?" and we got a reply of no, so I healed. I don't mind healing I have done it in other MMOs but you have so many people that can't even throw a heal out. Everybody wants to pew pew. Anyway, pick what you enjoy doing, but good healers will be rare for a while and don't be surprised if you are ask to heal.

Healing can be incredibly intimidating, especially if you're not well-versed in the healing buttons that you have.

People should know you are not spec'ed in healing or just don't want to heal, and as being a healer is 'rare' even by the large Sith Inquisitor popularity they shouldn't just assume you are a main healer. The only think I expect from every Inquisitor to use is that cool bubble but other than that it's their own darn choice on what they want to do.

EDIT: Ohh and DPS Inquisitors are awesome!

Edited by Walach

After reading this I just have to say "Go, Sith, Go!" It was that inspirational :D

There are very few fights where the traditional tank-healing-do-nothing-but-heal is needed or wanted. Just like it's damn tough for a tank in those levels to grab and hold all aggro. But you see all these people who are more than capable of self-healing declare themselves to be DPS in a flashpoint, constantly grab aggro off the tank and die rather than stop DPSing to throw themselves a heal... I guess WOW habits die hard.

I'm Madness specced and succesfully healed Mandelorian raiders at 24...even the fight with the 4 elites who all have to die within seconds of each other. As a matter of fact, that's the only fight I've encountered so far where I had to go full heals... we ended up with one dead sorcerer who wouldn't heal himself, but we got the job done.

Even when it's just me and Khem, bubbles, heals and DPS are all part of my rotation for elites and champs or groups of strong. It's what we do: we DPS stuff down but we also heal...it's a helluva an advantage. I'm sure we all do that when soloing but there seems to be a pissy mindset shift in groups... I'll have to file that in the "L2P TOR" category for now.

I understand people not wanting to be pigeonholed into the healer role (although it sure as heck makes finding groups easier) but personally, I'd rather do it myself since I know I can do it well... but whatever, it's just a temporary thing while we level: I'm sure at 50 I wouldn't want to be in a group where I'm the main healer but I'll thorw those heals around when they make sense anyway.

Just want to clarify that I don't mind healing (I played a Warden in EverQuest 2), I just am NOT healer specced an I make that clear from the start (I always advertise as DPS as well). I will still bubble the tank (assuming the actual healer isn't a Sorcerer as well, of course) and offheal if necessary.

I'm not a healer, but that doesn't mean I'll be an idiot about it, the versatility of our class is what makes it great and just bubbling people alone is a great help for the healer even though you may lose a bit of dps (oh noes! ;))