2 freaking hours. 2 freaking hours trying to beat a story boss.

Angedechu

Killed Stark on my sage while 3 levels lower than him. It wasn't easy, but once I realised I could ditch nadia for the fight and get theran back it wasn't too bad. Just kited him around the place basically letting my dots whittle him away and he couldn't cast on me most of the time.

I left Theran's attacks on so he did a lot of the damage to Stark.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there, done that. I can empathize. I've been spitting mad at some encounters. I can laugh now about it, but during the actual encounter, cussing like a sailor (as the saying goes). I don't know how many times I tried to beat the Avatar of Sel-Mekor on my Sith Warrior. I'm 50 now, and still haven't gone back to try him again. Thankfully it's not a class quest, so I can ignore it for now.

this is true, Avatar of Sel-makor hits like a truck @ lvl. I went back at 50 and 1 shotted him :)

on topic: there are some bosses that hit like trucks and some are a joke. The Chapter end bosses usually hit like trucks. On my knight, I completed all of Alderaan before killing the end boss, because I needed to out level him because he hit like a truck. I think his name is Darth Angral? If I recall correctly.

Well, then you must have paid for a sort of magic edition of the game

Cause, even with my healer PUNCHING the keyboard to heal the abomination that is supposed to tank mobs (despite having spend ten of thousands of credits gearing it), he die within ten seconds

If I switch attention for 1 second from him to try to interrupt the heals, he die.

Thank you Bioware. Is this game a competition to try to get your customers hang themselves ? Do you get a sort of the kick at the thought of making people lose 6-7 hours of their time trying to do one boss ?

I love TOR. It's fun having to take hearth medication because you feel your heart squeezing because the frustration is starting to get unbearable. It's fun to have suicidal thoughts about a freaking story boss.

Oh, and for the people telling me to use Theran. *** a healer would use a healer companion ?

Edited by Angedechu

i managed to solo this as a shadow kin spec with theran healing first try:wea_03:

Congratulation ! What healers do, they hang themselves ?

24th attempt today. The guy that designed those ''companion tanks'' must finding himself so funny.

Come on, Bioware ! I can spend a couple of days on this guy-after all, that count for 200 hours of unique gameplay.

I didnt have any issues with the stories bosses but i was a Shadow Tank with Theran healing.

All these story bosses have one major attack that always needs to be interrupted.

Dont interrupt that and it does a ton of damage.

If you are a healer, it is more difficult to interrupt as your tank/dps companion wouldnt interrupt for you.

I guess, just have to watch for the boss using that ability and then interrupt.

Have to be quick as well.

Also, you must have bought another enchanted version of the game, the version into which

A)People actually help players

B)It's possible for those people to do story exclusives areas.

I'm not rerolling a character. I'm going to spend the whole night on this, and either I will make a heart attack or either I will get this pig down.

Use Theran and kite the boss to death. Even if you are heal spec you can dps him down, it will just take longer. Or you could respec balance to make it easier for yourself (and still use Theran).

I used the shadow companion for 95% of the game (after I got her) but still had to use Theran for a few story bosses. He is the best companion for hard mobs because he can heal forever and you can use kiting/LOS to mitigate damage if he can't keep up.

I even killed the last boss of the story (First Son) using Theran and I was only level 47. (first son is 50 and is quite powerful).

Congratulation ! What healers do, they hang themselves ?

24th attempt today. The guy that designed those ''companion tanks'' must finding himself so funny.

Come on, Bioware ! I can spend a couple of days on this guy-after all, that count for 200 hours of unique gameplay.

Dude, i killed him solo as a healer with Qyzen without any problem (like the 99% of the people). To say the truth, he isnt one of the hardest bosses Oo So cant imagine why you arent capable of killing him.

Anyway, dont remember a lot what he does, but only your main char have lots of interrupts: You have the interrupt skill that has a really low cd, you have the stun (i dont remember but i suppose that it actually works with him), if you use the heroic moment you have the stun reloaded, you can make the AOE Knockback which interrupts too,... More than enough to beat this guy.

Edited by Shaligal

B)It's possible for those people to do story exclusives areas.

I helped a healer spec'd sage as a 3 lvl down healer spec'd sage.

You will need each helper of the same base class to go into options and enable 'same class story access' (words to that effect).

Meet at one location planet/fleet and have everyone board your ship, then fly them all to Stark's ship.

I helped a healer spec'd sage as a 3 lvl down healer spec'd sage.

You will need each helper of the same base class to go into options and enable 'same class story access' (words to that effect).

Meet at one location planet/fleet and have everyone board your ship, then fly them all to Stark's ship.

Ya know.. two nights ago... the Smuggler I was with INSISTED that I had to fly on his ship. So... there I was, a shadow on a smuggler ship. Kinda cool, with my second tune a smuggler. Anyways, when we got to Corellia, where he was headed and disembarked.. guess what.. I got out in the Shadow hanger and my ship was there for me to board when i was kicked out of the instance and was unable to reenter. At least the other guy got to stay in and help him win it.

I did him a while ago... Heal specced sage one level below the dude. Brought Nadia along cos I didn't realise I didn't have to. My gear is a bleh mish-mash of quested gear and Nadia was obviously just wearing her default clothes.

If I remember rightly I killed him second time round (first time round on hard bosses can be a bit more sticky, those few moments count for a lot). Nadia did die, but she stood up long enough to make the difference. To be honest I can't really remember any of the details as it didn't stand out as some amazingly unfairly challenging fight. I realise it's not all that helpful but I can at least give you hope that your situation is far from hopeless.

Wow, just wow.

Dear OP, no offense or anything, I don't think you're stupid/moron but...Storyline in this game is...So...Easy.

They literally hold your hand through the whole game.

No wonder people complain about PvP (Which is not competetive at all, go play DaOC and see what I'm talking about) if they can't beat the story mode.

Anyways. I don't know...Gear your companions/yourself? Level up on warzones/space battles and come back later? Use your abilities to the maximum?

People said what had to be said I suppose.

You must play the magic version of the game, the one into which your companion (despite having the best mods and armor for his level) don't die within 10 seconds if you don't heal him and you don't lose all your Force pool within 30 seconds of the fight.

I did not had any problem of any kind before Stark, and I have no trouble whatsoever to heal flashpoints. I don't know what magic trick you use to be able to DPS a boss, intterupt him every 5 seconds (which is utterly impossible with the CDs I have) and heal a ''tank'' that make the LFR WoW tanks look like super geniuses, but I can't. I can either heal or dps, but not both. (1)

And for the ones implying I'm stupid, Stark is ridiculously easy when you are a DPS, as you can nuke it down. It's not easy when you are a healer, because as a healer you did not geared the healer toon.

(1)I especially can't in a game that don't allow mods. Cause, in a certain game that is supposedly stupidly easy, I don't have any trouble whatsoever to DPS and Heal at the same time, since my heals are mapped to an add-on that allow mouse-click heals.

Edited by Angedechu

It's been awhile since I beat him as a healer (took me 4 tries I think, and a bit of coin on gear upgrades), so possibly the fight has changed, but my advice is:

1. Bring your tank pet (I used Iresso, Qyzen could work too, but Iresso is easier to gear with quality moddable weapons). Be sure they are equipped as a tank, with a shield, not a power generator. Be sure they are in a tanking stance, and their taunts are auto-enabled unless you are prepared to trigger them yourself.

2. Let your tank start combat, and focus on keeping him healed/bubbled. Remain just outside the room so you can break LoS on Stark easily.

3. Either use focus target and focus target modifier, or constantly change targets, to keep an eye on Stark. We didn't have target-of-target when I did this, so I would start casting a heal on Iresso and switch my target to Stark while the cast was still going to make sure he wasn't casting something I needed to interrupt.

4. Interrupt his channeled damage ability (Project Storm, I think) as quickly as possible. Even if you have to cancel your heal cast (by taking a step), interrupt it immediately.

5. Interrupt his heal AS LATE AS possible. If he spends 2 seconds casting a heal only to be interrupted, that is 2 seconds he is not causing any damage, while your tank continues to wear him down.

6. NO other abilities need to be interrupted. They should cause minor amounts of damage that can be healed through, if your tank is properly equipped/stanced/used.

7. At some point, he will probably force lift your companion. This is good, as it will heal your companion up nicely, but now you have face him. Force armor and DPS him down, interrupt as above. When your companion is fully healed, or you are just tired of one-on-one, break his LoS and he should switch back to your tank.

You must play the magic version of the game, the one into which your companion (despite having the best mods and armor for his level) don't die within 10 seconds if you don't heal him and you don't lose all your Force pool within 30 seconds of the fight.

I did not had any problem of any kind before Stark, and I have no trouble whatsoever to heal flashpoints. I don't know what magic trick you use to be able to DPS a boss, intterupt him every 5 seconds (which is utterly impossible with the CDs I have) and heal a ''tank'' that make the LFR WoW tanks look like super geniuses, but I can't. I can either heal or dps, but not both. (1)

And for the ones implying I'm stupid, Stark is ridiculously easy when you are a DPS, as you can nuke it down. It's not easy when you are a healer, because as a healer you did not geared the healer toon.

(1)I especially can't in a game that don't allow mods. Cause, in a certain game that is supposedly stupidly easy, I don't have any trouble whatsoever to DPS and Heal at the same time, since my heals are mapped to an add-on that allow mouse-click heals.

@ the OP...I wish I could be more helpful. But apparently, I also have the magic version (beat Stark with Nadia in one go, although I was 3 levels over him).

I know BW said they "corrected an issue that caused companion stat bonuses from equipped items to be miscalculated when the companion was resummoned," but I'm wondering if that may still be your problem (i.e., it isn't really fixed?). I was soloing the dailies a lot when I first turned 50, and I know some nights they were super easy, and other nights, there was a lot of spam healing--and it just didn't make sense to me.

Others in the thread have given lots of good ideas. I don't really recall my battle with Stark that well, but in general, I stay as far away from bosses as possible while still being able to interrupt (that way I stay out of any AoE's and such...although I'm not sure if Stark has one). I don't know if you use any stims, but a Presence stim might be good as it will increase your companion's DPS and help when healing your companion. Also, maybe try your Heroic Moment if you haven't previously?

Edited by CalBears

I had a hard time ,too, and I did not know I could leave the instance and change companion, so I had to stick with Nadia.

I am a Balance Sage, and sure died a few times, but I tried something and it worked. I realised that the moment the battle starts Stark focuses on my companion and destroys her in a few blows, so what I did was collect aggro immediately by hitting him hard. I made sure to stand at the opening, between the walls to use LoS efficiently and used my interrupts on his heal and Project Storm. Force Armor, Heroic Moment and Unity (when it was still obtainable earlier on) did the trick.

I don't know if this could help a Seer, but for Balance it didn't go too bad. I'm happy he was a caster :). Good luck, it sucks being stuck...

Talk to stark with Nadia. Then run out of the instance or die. Then come back with Theran. Be sure to line of site his attacks and interrupt his heals. Theran will also help with interrupts.

He's no joke, but it's easy once you figure out his patterns.

^^ this

I don't even know who Stark is, that's how easy I breezed through the entire Consular story. With no help. You should try Seer spec and just let Nadia go nuckin futs. That's what I did when I got her, and before her it was Iresso I had out dealing the pain.

I did this on a level 43 heal-spec sage. I heal and mostly level in PvP, so I just do the story quests to get companions and stuff.

I didn't know you could bring in another companion, I thought it had to be Nadia. She sucked of course, and died right away. After dying once, I realized I would need to think about this a bit. Here was my solution.

First, make Stark your "focus target," which you can do by targeting him and hitting alt+f. That is the default keybinding, and I suspect that's what you probably have. This enabled me to see his cast bar even while I was targeted on myself to heal. That way, if I was casting a heal and he was too, I would stop healing me to stop him from healing himself. Other than that, I led Nadia die again in the first 7 seconds of the fight, and just spent the rest of the fight going through the following cycle:

1 - cast dots on him

2 - run and hide behind crates

3 - heal myself while hiding

4 - interrupt his heal whenever he tries to do it

5 - repapply dots after they fall off

It wasn't easy, but I did get him on my second try. Someone in this thread could probably point out flaws in my strategy, but what I did worked for me. I'm sure it would work for you.

If you aren't someone who does a lot of PvP, then you may not be as comfortable or familiar with the "scurry and hide" method of playing a healy-sage, so it might take you a few tries to get the timing down, but this'll work.

I hope you get it though, no matter what strategy you use. I'm sure you will :)

I also did this with a heal-spec seer sage. Go get Theran.

1. He casts Holiday which is one of the best companion stuns you have

2. he heals you so you can concentrate on Stark or whomever

3 sometimes he gets the last shot. He did that today...for me...it was a headshot on the main boss that brought him down, after keeping me and my team healed while we all damaged, and keeping one person out of the fight with Holiday

The fight was nearly trivial after bringing Theran.

I've learned a thing... if you have to board another ship, or a station or whatever, Bring Theran. It's my rule and it's worked great.

There's a time and a place for every companion. Theran has Holiday and she's priceless.

OP, I noticed in your responses that you've failed to mention your level... If you're under-leveled, it's going to be very, very difficult. It's difficult enough for someone who's on-level.

I beat this guy on-level (with Nadia, even), but it took several tries. You've been given good advice here, for someone who's on-level. If it's still not working for you, I'd say you need to find a friend to help you. If you have difficulty finding someone to help, then ask more nicely, or come back when you're over-level and that'll make it much easier.

Seriously, you've been doing this for too long if you're really *that* frustrated.