Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordPorkins

That's what the rumors are saying already. The press release from Disney that says "Forget everything you knew about Luke, Leia, and Han as far as what happens to them after RotJ". I'm honestly hoping that's just hype and they think better of it. But if it's true, and Disney doesn't handle it right, it WILL piss off a lot of fans. Leland Chee, hopefully, is all over this already.

I think the reason they are saying this is because Lucas already had an idea for the last trilogy.

It was always supposed to be 9 ( or more, 12 is number that was thrown out there).

It is about a period of around 50-60 years.

And roughly 20 years in between them.

Also ...... Alot of what is stated here, take with a grain of salt. Lucas also said that NO ONE will make 7-9 lol.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then he got greedy. Hey, that's the real reason he made the Prequels. Greed, man! :p

I'm sure he signs a lot of deals thinking about the money first (as would we all, if we're being honest) but when you hear him talk about the prequels, it seems as though he genuinely wanted to do something ambitious.

Furthermore, it sounds like, if he had made Episodes IV-VI with today's technology, they would have looked a lot like Ep. I-III. He was always ambitious, but the technology and budget constraints (at least of the first movie) used to keep him in check; kept the original movies feeling gritty and real, focused on character and plot development instead of special effects.

The worst thing to happen to George was that his dreams came true. Suddenly he could make his vision hit the big screen exactly how he imagined, and it turns out his visions are a little too... "grandiose" for many of his fans' tastes.

-Macheath.

I'm sure he signs a lot of deals thinking about the money first (as would we all, if we're being honest) but when you hear him talk about the prequels, it seems as though he genuinely wanted to do something ambitious.

Furthermore, it sounds like, if he had made Episodes IV-VI with today's technology, they would have looked a lot like Ep. I-III. He was always ambitious, but the technology and budget constraints (at least of the first movie) used to keep him in check; kept the original movies feeling gritty and real, focused on character and plot development instead of special effects.

The worst thing to happen to George was that his dreams came true. Suddenly he could make his vision hit the big screen exactly how he imagined, and it turns out his visions are a little too... "grandiose" for many of his fans' tastes.

-Macheath.

Personally I loved it, it was some of the more horrid characters (*shudder* gungans) and some really slap dashed acting that stops the prequel for me to be perfect, it was a different feel than the OT, but that was because the prequels were from a different time where the cities were bigger, the battles were larger, the conspiracies abundant. The prequels were the stuff of ancient myths and legends, the OT was more of a down to earth uprising between the time of legends

Only Episodes I - VI are set in stone. Everything else is.... maleable, for lack of a better term. The different levels of Canon are in place for a reason. G-Canon is the only Absolute. T and C are there to show that it was approved by Lucas, fits with the general plot of the movies, and doesn't stray too far from the spirit of Star Wars. S, and N are there to deal with discrepancies. For example, the account of the Clone Wars given in The Thrawn Trilogy was wrong, and was relegated to S-Canon as a false rumor of what really happened. Since it could be viewed that the Clones went "insane" when Order 66 was given, it had just enough credibility to stick around as an S-Canon rumor. Leland Chee has the unenviable task of making all the pieces fit as much as possible. It's hard when the puzzle keeps changing shape.

G-Canon is no longer Absolute , its now D-Canon ...........D is in Disney

George Lucas is gainfully employed in a small roll at Disney , there is no contract to be held that keeps his Rules as Law anymore.

Leland Chee no longer works for George Lucas , he is still employed by LucasFilms which is OWNED by DIsney . He can say his opinion and advise , but Disney has the FInal Say in THEIR NEW 4 Billion Dollar Property !

While George Lucas is also held by no contract and is only paid further more by his role in Lucas Films which is now under Kennedy not above . He will surely be respected but when it comes to how Disney wishes there PROPERTY to go , Disney has the Final Say not George Lucas.

Leland Chee is a Record holder of sorts , he does not make Canon or decide it over DIsney . He has NO SAY . He really had no say before as well . He went by Rules that were given to him by George Lucas and he followed them as he himself has stated manytimes . Now there are NEW RULES .

So in the end G-Canon no longer holds water , 1-6 movies will remain Canon word for word , screen for screen as the movie shows them . But things like Lucas saying "Han shot first" or "Who or What was the biggest baddest Mofo in Town " no longer do .

Disney will ultimately decide who they want as key roles character wise by how well new and old fans see them .

Luke Skywalker will likely have a new Role in the new Disney Star Wars in 7 or beyond , and if not oh well .

I love Star Wars but that goes beyond any character period , so I say bring on the new movies .

PS.........George Lucas should and shall be always remembered as the man who made StarWars , much like Stan Lee will always be remembered for Spiderman , X-men .............ect ect oh and Jack Kirby for the real Marvel Buffs.

Then he got greedy. Hey, that's the real reason he made the Prequels. Greed, man! :p

Sad you think that , I think George has tried to love his Creation over time and give something to the fans in a new vision he had for his Series but saddly those same fans then turned and bit the hand that fed them .

At one point after years of fans constantly attacking him and his Employees over everything they do , I am going to bet he was like "Maybe its time for someone else to deal with this , maybe someone else can bring in fresh ideas that the fans will enjoy "!

StarWars is a awesome creation of fantasy and it so happens it was worth 4Billion to someone . I do not blame Lucas and glad maybe he will finally get the time he wanted to spend it on his new Movie Ideas without the Noise of a minority of crazy StarWars fans who get nutz over "OMG YOU KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER" or " OMG YOU KILLED STARWARS with JARJAR ...........ect ect ect" .

I wish you well in you adventure Lucas !

But thats not gonna happen is it. Marvel started off as a comic, so the comics take precedent. Star Wars started off as a movie, so the movies are going to take precedent. Most likely this will become G-Canon, he isn't entirely out of the picture and never will be. What it will do is open up new avenues for EU, which is a good thing - if anything it will breath new life into the period of EU which doesn't really have any foundations apart from the Original trilogy, it will also tidy it up a bit, which some people may not like.

G-Canon is dead , it was a way for George to keep his word as the Reality , hes no longer in control of that . So you might as well start calling it D-Canon !

Marvel started off as a Comic , and StarWars started off as words on paper . Both started off in the heads of the creators .

Disney is going to want StarWars living and breathing beyond reruns and old stories . EU is likely to be the standard because it is likely Marvel is going to take over that section without a doubt .

Again for G-Canon is no more , George is no longer the owner and has a small role in StarWars from here out . He will always be known as the Creator but ask youself how that worked out for Stan Lee .

Strange...I thought it was because people kept QQ"n for more movies, got more movies, thwn QQ'd some more because Ep I-3 was made specifically to their wants and needs. :rolleyes:

G-Canon is dead , it was a way for George to keep his word as the Reality , hes no longer in control of that . So you might as well start calling it D-Canon !

Marvel started off as a Comic , and StarWars started off as words on paper . Both started off in the heads of the creators .

Disney is going to want StarWars living and breathing beyond reruns and old stories . EU is likely to be the standard because it is likely Marvel is going to take over that section without a doubt .

Again for G-Canon is no more , George is no longer the owner and has a small role in StarWars from here out . He will always be known as the Creator but ask youself how that worked out for Stan Lee .

Funny because Marvel comics have been going down the drain sinse Disney got ahold of it...yet you don't see that being talked about anywhere..

Edited by Eillack

Strange...I thought it was because people kept QQ"n for more movies, got more movies, thwn QQ'd some more because Ep I-3 was made specifically to their wants and needs. :rolleyes:

Funny because Marvel comics have been going down the drain sinse Disney got ahold of it...yet you don't see that being talked about anywhere..

the hell it has. The X-men vs Avengers storyline was amazing. Much better then the Skrull war story line they did.

It seems Disney intends to take forward Episode 7 with a new storyline. I think this is good news, there will be less of a feeling that a dead horse is being flogged, and hopefully not too many geriatric ex- star wars actors turning up.

Although I can see Mark Hamill coming back as the new Obi Wan Kenobi role.

What is also good news, is that the ridiculous post ROTJ books will not be made into films. Star Wars is the films, for better or for worse, and devaluing the product to make more money by releasing all these books and comics, is a sad reality of the modern world. We don't need to compound this by turning them into films.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.

First, the reboot of Star Trek wasn't all that good. It took a timeless series of stories, that are still watched by people today, and turned it into another summer blockbuster with the chic pretty boy actors of the time, and sprinkled in a cliched action oriented story that will be forgotten long before the TOS will. When I watched it the first time I was impressed, because of the special effects mainly, I think, but watching it two years later I realized how campy it really was. It offered nothing to science fiction, and did plenty to damage the franchise.

Second, many of the EU books, and there are some horrible stinkers, are better than the prequels. Mara Jade is a compelling character and hugely popular, why squander that?

Lastly, they won't be a reboot. The first one is still titled episode 7, so they will be a follow on to ROTJ, like it or not. How long after Return is anyone's guess. Whether or not they intend to recast the main characters is again anyone's guess, but they wouldn't deliberately title it Episode 7 if it wasn't chronological.

I think the reason that many are happy to hear the story will be orginial are the same people who consider post RoTJ canon the worst star war stories in existence.

I for one, will be giddy with excitement for the emperor's clones and Luke getting married being retconned!

Also, light whips. That ****'s just stupid.

Edited by DarkDisturbed

I doubt very much I will ever go see a Disney Star Wars movie. The prequels were enough of a let down, but at least Lucas had direct involvement. I predict any new SW movie, especially with Disney at the helm, being about as good as the Holiday Special was.

the hell it has. The X-men vs Avengers storyline was amazing. Much better then the Skrull war story line they did.

Did you even read AvX? Let alone look at how sales in Marvel are literally falling over the past few years?

The story was one of the worst written in years and many tend to agree with how poorly implemented it has been with other comic series as well...then there was the out of order releases for the individual battles, then the fact that the series was a cheap version of Civil War mixed with "OMG we need to do what we tried to stop with our knee-kerk reaction."

Marvel forums, when they are even alive, let alone any Marvel-based forum tends to lean away from AvX and the sales of most of the series under the Marvel banner. There are a few good series, but then again one of the last gasps Marvel is having is their version of New 52 via Marvel NOW and killing off some good series for low-expectation ones.

Edited by Eillack

First, the reboot of Star Trek wasn't all that good. It took a timeless series of stories, that are still watched by people today, and turned it into another summer blockbuster with the chic pretty boy actors of the time, and sprinkled in a cliched action oriented story that will be forgotten long before the TOS will. When I watched it the first time I was impressed, because of the special effects mainly, I think, but watching it two years later I realized how campy it really was. It offered nothing to science fiction, and did plenty to damage the franchise.

Seconding this. The so-called movie is already forgotten pretty much. I managed to watch it by getting drunk first.

Star Wars on the other hand doesn't need a reboot, just a more serious approach to doing the movie.

Edited by Karkais

Did you even read AvX? Let alone look at how sales in Marvel are literally falling over the past few years?

The story was one of the worst written in years and many tend to agree with how poorly implemented it has been with other comic series as well...then there was the out of order releases for the individual battles, then the fact that the series was a cheap version of Civil War mixed with "OMG we need to do what we tried to stop with our knee-kerk reaction."

Marvel forums, when they are even alive, let alone any Marvel-based forum tends to lean away from AvX and the sales of most of the series under the Marvel banner. There are a few good series, but then again one of the last gasps Marvel is having is their version of New 52 via Marvel NOW and killing off some good series for low-expectation ones.

Comic book sales are down across the board, man. Not just Marvel. Granted, I'm not that big of a Marvel fan, since I prefer DC since they got Geoff Johns. But seriously, DC, Dark Horse, Dynamite!, and others have seen their sales hit the toilet lately. It's still the economy. Tbh, the only Marvel books I read are Deadpool. lol

Comics no matter the Company been down , the newer generations of kids or kids turning Adult as less patient or intrested in that type of Media than ever before .

When I was a Kid we had Nintendo but we still went outside and played , heck we bought Comic cards and traded them like baseball cards . I remember how much love you got for having the rare Card !

I mean I am sure I am old to some of you and maybe still young to others , I am only 33 but when I was a kid Comic Shops were busy . I mean I am sure a few out there are doing well but there is alot that are not.

I think its sad but its is very true . Now just because you did not enjoy a story or comic series , does not mean everyone else didn't . Disney has done nothing to Marvel that Marvel wouldn't have done on its own , its is almost like the buyout of Marvel never happened .

I mean Mickey Mouse has yet to join X-Force !

If you do not know what X-Force is , I advise you to go out and get "X-Cutioner's Song" series (Its 1990s comic set of X-men/X-Factor/X-Force but its about Cable the leader of X-Force and his Clone !) !

Edited by mefit

Seconding this. The so-called movie is already forgotten pretty much. I managed to watch it by getting drunk first.

Star Wars on the other hand doesn't need a reboot, just a more serious approach to doing the movie.

The New StarTrek Movie was not a REBOOT , I think someone already stated this .........................

Do not blame the Movie for your weaknesses , It was stated from start of the Movie to the end . At the begining of the movie it showed Time being changed by Nero who was seeking Revenge for his Planet being Destroyed . It also featured Original Spock and his Younger self .

You did not like it , thats fine . Thats your Opinion , I liked it . Thought it was a good update in a old series to match the younger Generation who have short attention spans . Needless to say Nero is now one of my favorite StarTrek Villians under Picard's Clone Shinzon (Played by Tom Hardy "Bane/BatmanRises" one of my favorite actors).

I am not limited to StarWars in the fantasies I enjoy , I love Marvel , DC, StarTrek , StarWars , MassEffect , DragonAge , Fable , The ElderScrolls , The Witcher , Dune .................ect ect ect ect ! I love good stories in General and I am finally happy now a Owner that did not create Luke Skywalker is in control of him . We might now see the Character tested like he was in OT Movies again , he doesn't have to die but it would be nice to watch him here and there get reminded hes Mortal !

Edited by mefit

Its ETC! Sorry, I managed to tolerate it before but now its just bugging me. :p

Cool beans , I have been misabbreviating it. My bad , problematic youth is cetching up with me . But in all seriousness , you could have messaged me and just post a honest reply to the debat rather than offering Grammar lessons , you must be a english major !

:D """"""" Congratulations"""""""" :D

Edited by mefit

The New StarTrek Movie was not a REBOOT , I think someone already stated this .........................

Do not blame the Movie for your weaknesses , It was stated from start of the Movie to the end . At the begining of the movie it showed Time being changed by Nero who was seeking Revenge for his Planet being Destroyed . It also featured Original Spock and his Younger self .

You did not like it , thats fine . Thats your Opinion , I liked it . Thought it was a good update in a old series to match the younger Generation who have short attention spans . Needless to say Nero is now one of my favorite StarTrek Villians under Picard's Clone Shinzon (Played by Tom Hardy "Bane/BatmanRises" one of my favorite actors).

I am not limited to StarWars in the fantasies I enjoy , I love Marvel , DC, StarTrek , StarWars , MassEffect , DragonAge , Fable , The ElderScrolls , The Witcher , Dune .................ect ect ect ect ! I love good stories in General and I am finally happy now a Owner that did not create Luke Skywalker is in control of him . We might now see the Character tested like he was in OT Movies again , he doesn't have to die but it would be nice to watch him here and there get reminded hes Mortal !

Hate to break it to ya, but the Star Trek movie WAS a reboot of the FRANCHISE. It wasn't a reboot of the Universe, since it was explained during the movie that they were now in a parallel universe. But as far as rebooting the franchise, it did the job admirably.

Cool beans , I have been misabbreviating it. My bad , problematic youth is cetching up with me . But in all seriousness , you could have messaged me and just post a honest reply to the debat rather than offering Grammar lessons , you must be a english major !

:D """"""" Congratulations"""""""" :D

apologies, but when it comes to grammar I take personal offense :p

Hate to break it to ya, but the Star Trek movie WAS a reboot of the FRANCHISE. It wasn't a reboot of the Universe, since it was explained during the movie that they were now in a parallel universe. But as far as rebooting the franchise, it did the job admirably.

Generally a REBOOT is starting from Scratch , not taking everything previously done and bringing it along for the ride . Granted we will see new stories and changes to the main characters that never happened in the ORIGINAL UNIVERSE ("Most importantly a upgrade in Tech") but it cannot be a real Reboot when the past movies and stories are in the same Canon with the new Movies and Stories . Its not a REAL PARALLEL UNIVERSE when now the other Universe was likely changed with this new one being this was TIME TRAVEL not Portal Hoping.

You see Original Spock is still alive and in the NEW Time Line being set , so in fact the it cannot be a real REBOOT .

But it is a Fresh start , so I guess I can see how you would see it as a REBOOT.

It cannot really be a Parallel Universe when the one Original Spoke Came from is no longer existing because of the TIME TRAVEL .

Being now Original Spoke is still alive and god knows who lived from Nero's ship or what Tech might have made it , the Previous Time line still holds water .

So you could (A) Look at it as a Reboot , or

(B) a continuation of the already set series but changing due to timetravel !

Either or I thought the movie was good and will allow Kirk to woop more *** and commit go knows how many breaking of Regulation with each lower officer he sleeps with !

BY THE WAY , I remember the Next Generation , it also was feared because the older fans did not want to move past Kirk ! William Shatner with all his trying will always be remembered as Kirk , he might not like it but its the way it is and it brought him wealth he probably would not have had otherwise and a fan base that was extremely loyal to him and his castmates .

Same will be said of George Lucas , he wants to be known for otherthings besides StarWars , his Filming Directions , his ability to write Stories , and how he forever changed Films as we know it .But he will always be known and remembered for StarWars !

Generally a REBOOT is starting from Scratch , not taking everything previously done and bringing it along for the ride . Granted we will see new stories and changes to the main characters that never happened in the ORIGINAL UNIVERSE ("Most importantly a upgrade in Tech") but it cannot be a real Reboot when the past movies and stories are in the same Canon with the new Movies and Stories . Its not a REAL PARALLEL UNIVERSE when now the other Universe was likely changed with this new one being this was TIME TRAVEL not Portal Hoping.

You see Original Spock is still alive and in the NEW Time Line being set , so in fact the it cannot be a real REBOOT .

But it is a Fresh start , so I guess I can see how you would see it as a REBOOT.

It cannot really be a Parallel Universe when the one Original Spoke Came from is no longer existing because of the TIME TRAVEL .

Being now Original Spoke is still alive and god knows who lived from Nero's ship or what Tech might have made it , the Previous Time line still holds water .

So you could (A) Look at it as a Reboot , or

(B) a continuation of the already set series but changing due to timetravel !

Either or I thought the movie was good and will allow Kirk to woop more *** and commit go knows how many breaking of Regulation with each lower officer he sleeps with !

BY THE WAY , I remember the Next Generation , it also was feared because the older fans did not want to move past Kirk ! William Shatner with all his trying will always be remembered as Kirk , he might not like it but its the way it is and it brought him wealth he probably would not have had otherwise and a fan base that was extremely loyal to him and his castmates .

Same will be said of George Lucas , he wants to be known for otherthings besides StarWars , his Filming Directions , his ability to write Stories , and how he forever changed Films as we know it .But he will always be known and remembered for StarWars !

When a reboot happens, it means that the original universe will no longer be the main story universe. DC with Earth 2 (original DC Universe) was replaced by Earth 1. Then New Earth after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Those are just a couple examples of a Reboot. As with Old Spock in the new Star Trek movie, Power Girl managed to stick around after New Earth was formed, as did a few other Crisis survivors. Now DC has the "New Universe" which has rebooted their continuity yet again. New costumes. New origin stories. I blame Grant Morrison and his "Batman Franchise" for that. But then, I blame Grant Morrison for dang near everything bad that's happened in DC lately. He's the anti-Geoff Johns. lol