How does Armoring effect AC?

lfernandes

I am trying to figure out how the mod Armoring (or any other mods for that matter) effect the AC of an item. I am a Jugg and constantly trying to get the best armor, and want to use some orange gear that I found, but can not for the life of me figure out how the AC works in orange items. There is no identifiable formula I can deduce from putting Armoring mods into them. It seems pretty random.

Any ideas?

TL;DR How do mods effect an orange item's AC?

Edit: Here is what we have so far...

(Thanks Cortanx and Shadowclaimer for your help so far!)

AC = [Mod rating] * [Rarity modifier] * [Armor type modifier] * [slot modifier]

And the formula breakdown is as follows:

Armor Class =

Mod Rating - The Armor Rating of the Armoring Mod

Rarity Modifier - Green/Blue/Purple/etc. as the rarity goes up, you get more armor out of it

Armor Type - Light/Medium/Heavy as it gets heavier it rewards higher armor per rating point

Slot Modifier - Core slots (Chest/Legs) reward more than lesser slots (Bracers etc.)

Now we just need some numbers to replace [Rarity Modifier] and [slot Modifier] and we should be able to test this.

Edited by lfernandes

Thanks for the replies guys.

I realize they are universal, and I think I should have worded my question differently.

How does an armoring mod's Armor Rating correlate to AC?

I tried the same mod in both a pair of pants and a chest piece and got 2 different numbers of armor, and not even similar numbers if I divided/multiplied the values to figure it out.

My guess is that the formula is something like:

So a purple mod with rating X would give more AC than a green or blue mod with rating X.

A mod with rating X in heavy armor is more AC than in light or medium armor.

A mod with rating X in a chest slot is more AC than in a leg slot, which is more than head > feet > waist > bracer (or something like that).

Does the item's base Armor Rating have any effect once an Armoring mod is put in, or does the Armoring Mod add its Rating onto the base item's Rating?

This is another idea I played with but didn't fully flush out. I wonder if an item's total AC is something like AC= [item's base AC + Armoring] * (some number we haven't figured out)

This is another idea I played with but didn't fully flush out. I wonder if an item's total AC is something like AC= [item's base AC + Armoring] * (some number we haven't figured out)

Well the reason I ask is because if it is true, we could pick armor based on looks as opposed to base armor class, then just remod it constantly as we advance. (which would be amazing)

If you notice all the vanity armor is like that, so I wonder if that is the case, where the Base AC is replaced by Mod AC.

Incorrect.

Armor rating is the sole indicator of how effective a piece of gear will be (in terms of armor value) when modded with that item.

Are you saying that in response to this?

Also, I understand all of these terms except Slot Modifier. What does that mean?

Are you saying that in response to this?

Also, I understand all of these terms except Slot Modifier. What does that mean?

Head/Chest/Legs/Boots/Gloves/Bracers each would have their own value I'd assume is what he means.

So the formula breakdown:

Armor Class =

Rarity Modifier - Green/Blue/Purple/etc. as the rarity goes up, you get more armor out of it

Armor Type - Light/Medium/Heavy as it gets heavier it rewards higher armor per rating point

Slot Modifier - Core slots (Chest/Legs) reward more than lesser slots (Bracers etc.)

Edited by Shadowclaimer

Well the reason I ask is because if it is true, we could pick armor based on looks as opposed to base armor class, then just remod it constantly as we advance. (which would be amazing)

If you notice all the vanity armor is like that, so I wonder if that is the case, where the Base AC is replaced by Mod AC.

I know that this was the intention, being able to find armor that looks awesome an remod it, as they have a million posts about mods and orange gear as it is. I started trying to research the "how AC is affected by Armoring" question as a result of being forced into a really ugly looking chest piece and skirt (male dark sith juggernaut..lol) because it is substantially better than anything I can mod and build on orange items.

Head/Chest/Legs/Boots/Gloves/Bracers each would have their own value I'd assume is what he means.

So the formula breakdown:

Armor Class =

Yes, that's what I meant :)

I know that this was the intention, being able to find armor that looks awesome an remod it, as they have a million posts about mods and orange gear as it is. I started trying to research the "how AC is affected by Armoring" question as a result of being forced into a really ugly looking chest piece and skirt (male dark sith juggernaut..lol) because it is substantially better than anything I can mod and build on orange items.

Yea I really like my bath robes I'm wearing as a Sith Marauder right now, would really like to keep them going with crafted mods I make that are really good.

Awesome. If this is correct, then all we need to find out is what the rarity and slot modifiers are, as numbers, so we can figure out what AC an armor piece would be without wasting money guessing and testing.

Also, based on this, I'd assume that orange moddable armor is considered blue?

Edit: Speeling

Edited by lfernandes

Awesome. If this is correct, then all we need to find out is what the rarity and slot modifiers are, as numbers, so we can figure out what AC an armor piece would be without wasting money guessing and testing.

Also, based on this, I'd assume that orange modable armor is considered blue?

Typically although some of it is Epic.

I'd rather they just remove the "moddable" color from the game and let us see the actual rarity.