An idea to make usless crew skills a invaluable asset

Death_Shade

So everyone knows the gear crew skills (armormech, armstech, and synthweaving) are pretty much useless due to how easy it is to get good gear through simple questing and flash points where you almost always get orange drops from each boss. So i thought of remedy to this problem without causing a mass chaos of everyone's gear being obsolete. Its simple, treat all mods like augments. Each mod slot only goes up to a specific mod level, so this being said these crew skills could make new kits to increase the level of mods you could use. Also, increase the amount of orange recipes (or make them discoverable after reverse engineering a purple item with a 5%-10% discovery chance) and allow players to reverse engineer these orange items to attempt to discover "Highly Modifiable" versions of this gear (with a 5%-10% discovery chance), giving them one additional armor,mod, or enhancement slot. These of coarse should not be BoP to increase these crew skills worth on the GTN. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I know it may need some tweaking, but it seems like it is a very solid base to help players who want these crew skills so badly but don't have much use for them throughout the gaming experience. Edited by Death_Shade

Nothing is useless if you know how to use it right. I've crafted some of the new Synthweaving armors for my Knight and they look awesome. I put a few on the GTN as well.

The new hilts I can make on my Artificer are higher than the campaign hilts I have in my weapons right now.

Augments and augment kits. I'm making those slowly but I've made a few Resolve augments and posted those to the GTN.

BioChem is awesome. I've been making stims and medpacks like crazy.

Just made a few belts with Armormech and waiting to see how they do especially the ones that that get a free augment slot.

Mods and Armorings are also above Campaign grade so no complaint there. Great for starting off to get into Level 55 FPs and Operations.

Just gotta work with what you have.

Don't agree with the premise, but it is an interesting idea nonetheless. However, I'd say it's not going to happen if for some pretty straight forward reasons:

• If Crafted Oranges > Other oranges, Cartel market gear will become entirely redundant to anyone who cares about getting the best gear. That's not an avenue that EAWare will want to take.
  • Many people pick orange items for the look that they have. Many orange items aren't available to craft (event stuff and rep stuff, as examples). The Devs are trying to get away from that scenario, which is why augment slots kits came in in the first place.
  • Adding an extra armouring slot would make tanks far too good with the extra armour rating. Your idea might work out if you could only add an extra augment slot, but then everyone who know what they're talking about will just pick up "Mainstat" augments. The end result will be PvE content easier than intended, and create a need for a whole lot of content balancing, coupled with increasing the gear discrepancy between dedicated and casual PvPer's while still refusing to sort/match them in any meaningful way.

This is the sort of system you would have to implement during a level cap increase, and sadly, they've just missed this opportunity.

I would've thought to fix this it would have been as simple as make the crafted gear skins unique, cannot be obtained elsewhere outside of crafting... then again that's maybe too simple. Right?

Obviously they shouldn't be able to made from 5 mins of scavenging or whatever, they should require either a lot of ingredients or special ones. That way they'll keep their place on the market for those looking for a unique style.

Edited by Jayshames

So, what's you're suggesting is basically augment slots 2.0.

There used to be no augment kits, and the only way to get augmented gear was to get a crit while crafting them. For whatever reason (presumably, because they want to give people a choice for what to wear so they could choose their own look), they decided that was a bad idea and thus separated crafting those extra slot from crafting the actual shells by making augment kits, so that they could keep selling those extra slots to people without having to force a certain look on anyone.

A lot of the statements of crew skill uselessness is based solely on max level, I mean, although most of the time, stuff being crafted gets placed on the GTN for 5x the worth of it, but when its the prime time of the server, I do see a lot of stuff on there, armour, weaponry, mods and everything, never what I want, but hey, its not like I would pay the inflated prices anyway.

But as others have said, no crew skill is useless, the only thing that would make armour crafting better is if you could craft full sets at certain levels, like level 9, 13, 17, 21 and so on, like you can at level 50+, it would certainly be better then 2 pieces here and 20 skill points later, another 2 pieces....that's quite off-putting.