Operations lag is out of hand ....

Since server transfers, in which my guild moved TO a server, Operations lag has been occasionally bad, to horrendous. On our old server, we never experienced this lag.

We're all grateful being on a busy server, trust me.. the game has re-invented itself for the bulk of us......However......

Ops lag needs to be addressed. Now.

Whether it's EV SM, HM, KP SM or HM, Denova, huge lag spikes are experienced by ALL 8 members of the Op, at the same time.

This complaint isn't new, anymore, and has been brought up plenty of time to warrant serious attention to this issue.

Try offloading the Ops to some of these recently decommissioned servers ? /shrug.....

Just get it done please.....

My guild, and several other higher end raid guilds on my server endlessly complain about lag spikes in Operations, and to a lesser extent, in Flashpoints......

I have one toon on my old server, and that server's populace, though very small, also experience these lag spikes..........and no response here?

Oh well.......

It is bad, and especially bad in LI. Noticing a lot of spikes there. One lag spike when LR5 uses Incinerate could mean a wipe.

A group I was in also hit an enrage timer on a KP boss (forget which) with came along with a lag spike, but it didn't matter as he was at 1% or 2% at the time anyways, so we were fine.

Fight HM Kephess -> Bomber spawns -> lag spike! -> lag spike ends and Bomber instantly explodes -> 5 minute run back.

As a healer, 90% of the time, I don't even notice lag because no one takes any extra damage during these spikes. The problem is that enrage timers and countdowns continue for those 5-10 seconds of lag.

At this point, I'm not sure what there is we can do. Not to sound like a complete jerk to the CS reps as I know they are just doing their job, but some simple research/awareness/personal experience would tell them this is not a random thing effecting only a handful of people. Here is a timeline I pulled up with about 5 minutes of forum searching:

6/12/12 - 7/1/12 Character Transfer Details Announced & Available

6/20/12 Denova and other Operations Lag

7/06/12 Server Lag killing Raid's with High instance numbers

7/10/12 Lag in Devova

7/10/12 More instances for EC

7/13/12 Denova Overfilled (Lag)

7/17/12 Denova HM Issues persist even after today...

7/21/12 Operations lag is out of hand ....

7/24/12 Thanks Bioware

7/24/12 Server Lag tonight, anyone else?

This is not a coincidence and anyone who has stepped foot in EC on Tuesdays in particular would clearly see this is a server-side problem regarding an inability to handle the population load. What has become the most frustrating, however, is that not only is this issue so painfully obvious to anyone who has actually attempted to raid EC on Tuesdays, but Bioware's complete lack of communication that the problem even exists. I mean seriously, has no one who actually works at Bioware tried to raid on Tuesdays? How about the repeated and consistent complaints since transfers began? It's been over a month since server transfers were made available and we still haven't heard word one from Bioware of even an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem.

Edited by sang

I think they are aware of the problem, they just do not know how to fix it, so they are being hush hush about it. Solutions through obscurity.

Not exactly the best business strategy imo.

One thing would be to have multiple instances always available, regardless of how many people are on. 8 people in Denova? Three instances available. Then you don't face the depopulating problem and people can self correct individual instance load problems.

What time does everyone raid? This is more curiosity than anything. My group starts raiding at 9pm ET and regardless of what we raid, we never see this crippling lag. We've had a bit of lag during trash pulls (very infrequent). Never on bosses.

I just want to provide more information to Bioware. Is it because everyone raids at 7pm ET and servers are at their peak?

What time does everyone raid? This is more curiosity than anything. My group starts raiding at 9pm ET and regardless of what we raid, we never see this crippling lag. We've had a bit of lag during trash pulls (very infrequent). Never on bosses.

I just want to provide more information to Bioware. Is it because everyone raids at 7pm ET and servers are at their peak?

You are raiding just outside of peak times so you are getting into a different instance number. Next time you raid on a Tuesday, look to see what instance you are in. If you are in 3 or greater, you won't experience as much as lag as 1 and 2 does. A lot of guilds raid at 8pm EST and are all crammed into 1 and 2 where there are severe lag issues. We force ourselves into 3, but it wastes time reclearing trash, etc.

We've found the lag to be the worst when fighting Firebrand and Stormcaller. I don't know why this is the case, perhaps it has something to do with the specific assets the game is loading for the fight.

Agree 100%. Even with the almost fanboy level of love I have for this game, I have to say this is game breaking. They have made a great RPG, but they seemed a little lax on making a stable MMOrpg. An operation instance server with 50ish people in it should not have 2-3 second lag spikes. I do think that the spikes however are not random, and occur when a group zones in. Your group wipes and everybody zones back in? The rest of the groups get a lag spike. It's bad enough to have the same problem since launch of abilities causing a GCD with no attack happening, but having it happen 3 times in a row when doing HM content just isn't fun.

Agree 100%. Even with the almost fanboy level of love I have for this game, I have to say this is game breaking. They have made a great RPG, but they seemed a little lax on making a stable MMOrpg. An operation instance server with 50ish people in it should not have 2-3 second lag spikes. I do think that the spikes however are not random, and occur when a group zones in. Your group wipes and everybody zones back in? The rest of the groups get a lag spike. It's bad enough to have the same problem since launch of abilities causing a GCD with no attack happening, but having it happen 3 times in a row when doing HM content just isn't fun.

New plan: everyone else stop wiping! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some form of acknowledgement would be much appreciated. This is most certainly game breaking.

I pay $15 a month and make time in my schedule to ensure I'm on a couple of times a week to play with friends. Progression is what I like most from games like these... it's very, VERY frustrating to repeatedly fail and waste my time and money because of lag. Progression gets thrown out the window when you cant proceed due to no fault of your own.

HM Denova is near impossible on the last boss when hit with server lag. Last night we tried to clean up on Kephess from last Wednesday (where we failed due to lag) and failed again and again from lag. When a 20% drop in DPS from skilled, knowledgeable players doing the same thing they do every week results in failure week after week it's enough to make even the most dedicated player question if their time isn't better spent elsewhere!

Edited by jgarib

Yeah this lag is too much. We find that we cannot beat EC HM because of it. On Zorn and Toth we constantly get people lagging into red circles even though they are not actually in them. On Kephess people are getting 1 shotted by the rail shot droids even though they are directly underneath them. It's really frustrating to say the least. Please fix it.

tonight was really bad, any official word on plans to resolve this / time frames?

It seems like its almost not worth bringing out the new content if its going to be lagging so badly you cant enjoy it?

(not saying I don't want to see new content asap just that lag is really, as the title says, out of hand.)

• 4 weeks later...
::Bump::

Quit doing dailies after server transfer due to this nonsense. Tried them again this week and it's the S.O.S. Quitting dailies/ops again until they're playable. :mad:

For about 3 (or 2?) weeks there has been little or no lag in operations. It seems that the limit for people in one instance has been lowered quite a bit. Before the change there might have been 3 or 4 instances max with 90+ people in each. After the change there are 15+ instances with very little lag and around 16 to 32 in each.

As for dailies... I don't really recall a lag issue. There was a bit of a problem with respawn rates in crowded places but that is being fixed in 1.4.

For about 3 (or 2?) weeks there has been little or no lag in operations. It seems that the limit for people in one instance has been lowered quite a bit. Before the change there might have been 3 or 4 instances max with 90+ people in each. After the change there are 15+ instances with very little lag and around 16 to 32 in each.

As for dailies... I don't really recall a lag issue. There was a bit of a problem with respawn rates in crowded places but that is being fixed in 1.4.

Eh, good catch I used "dailies" generically to cover all types of group ops. Not all types have the same issues, but the ones I like to play do still unfortunately. Back to PVP in the meantime...