Command Rank 5 happening, not just a bad, sick tisted joke from Bioware

LordAppius

4.x system was flawed as well. Expertise was a newbie wall and a hassle

They were raining expertise gear from the sky in 4.x....

Newbie wall? Log in, put on whatever gear, run a few warzones, and viola you have some expertise gear. We had bolster for a reason. I think the only barrier was in people's minds.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the D vs L event to see how many new characters we could make and then turn around and hamper those characters by bringing on the Galactic Command Tiers was stupid.

Exactly..

They just "incentivised" us to play a whole swathe of Alts for the DvL event because it was the only proxy we had for "new content".

To then make Galactic Command a Character based thing was a huge "Ha, we just screwed you once, and we are going to do it again" to the playerbase. It was frankly insulting to our worth as customers.

If the tiers were legacy bound and all your characters contributed to it would be ok but each character grinding on their own is ridiculous.

Agree entirely.

Making it Legacy Wide would be the best (possibly only) solution.

Character based Command levels doesn't make people play more overall, it just makes them use what time the do have to play on just one character.

All The Best

If the Bioware team read nothing else on the Forums this whole week they need - as in NEED! - to read these two posts.

I said it at the time it was announced, GC is this games NGE

forced on players despite overwhelmingly negative feedback, because they devs did what tehy wanted to do, not the players.

and they won't back down on it because ego

Keith will try and salvage whats left, and I hope he does, but the damage is done

The biggest mistake EA's made through this whole debacle is underestimating their customers.

Star Wars fans are nerds

MMO players are nerds

Star Wars fans who play MMO's are super nerds

Know what else nerds are other than nerdy? Smart

If you take a weak idea and throw some glitter on it to sell it, we'll see a weak idea covered in glitter. not what you hope we'll see. We're clever that way.

Read what we say we want and act on it

Stop trying to tell us what we want

That was a big thing for me when GC first came out. The first red flag was how hard they were selling GC because a good product will essentially sell itself/your customers will sell it for you. Secondly, when the players saw GC for what it was, the devs started telling us how exciting and thrilling GC is... as if BW believes we lack the mental capacity to decide for ourselves what is exciting and thrilling.

Then after all this feedback at the beginning, BW went months without even addressing there was a problem as they doubled down on what exactly the players didn't want. While they now appear to be in panic/band-aid mode, they still haven't resolved the core issues the players have with the system: RNG on a crap loot table and the time it takes to grind just to compete in (PvP) or complete (NM Ops) the old content they could do before GC. That alone is asinine. Did they not have anyone on staff who said, "Hey guys, let's rethink this... the players may get kind of mad if we take away the stuff they've been enjoying for years and make them RNG-grind it back doing other content they don't enjoy doing? Typically, this is the point where gaming companies release new content to work towards..." It reminds me of my older brother acting like a jerk growing up and taking a toy of mine and then making me jump through hoops just to get my toy back.

Put all of this together and you've got a MMO gaming developer who doesn't actually appear to play MMOs and consistently insults their customers' intelligence and alienating them. All of this just so they can push an outdated gaming "experience" of a RNG-grind for end game gear in order to complete three year old content and obtain a few items. I thought I finally escaped that archaic and annoying system when I quit Asheron's Call back in 2002... back when killing mobs for gear and items was the original Thrill of the Hunt™, not opening boxes through a garish interface that has all the class and sophistication of a slot machine in the Las Vegas airport.

Making us trudge through a Korean Grindfest par excellence just to get back to where we were BEFORE 5.0 Launched is not only grossly insulting to the playerbase it is indicative of the of laziest, cheapest, lowest common denominator game design imaginable.

Star Wars as an IP deserves better than that.

Loyal players deserve better than that.

It's about time Bioware started delivering better than that.

All The Best

4.x system was flawed as well. Expertise was a newbie wall and a hassle, people who couldn't get into PvP and Raids were locked out of set bonuses+BiS, and BiS was farmable through highlighted EV/KP.

In the time it took me to get 1 character to command rank 300 and have BiS 242 gear (before 248 came out) I could've had like 15 characters all geared out in augmented 208 with the 4.0 pvp system. All BiS, ready to go (for pvp)

As far as people being locked out of set bonuses who don't pvp or raid.... that the whole idea. The very incentive to get end game gear is to DO end game content! Otherwise why would you do pvp or raids? End game gear was never meant for snow flakes that wanna RP in there NS stronghold or go all supersayin' on tatooine heroics. It was suppose to be an incentive to engage the hardest content so you can get the best rewards.

Unfortunately in this era of gaming, people want the best "just cause" and they don't want it to actually be better at the game, I knew someone on harby that only played to gear out his character to BiS then quits. He quits when he finally has the best gear - the very thing you grind and strive for inevitably ends up being the thing you quit over. Gearing is such an archaic way of handling progression nowadays, I wish game developers would get more imaginative on not only obtaining BiS gear but also what do with it when you have it. As it stands now, some players get BiS, complain about nothing to do then quit. It's such a dumb way to play a game, but it is what it is.

Edited by DenariusJay

They were raining expertise gear from the sky in 4.x....

Newbie wall? Log in, put on whatever gear, run a few warzones, and viola you have some expertise gear. We had bolster for a reason. I think the only barrier was in people's minds.

Yeah... if the concept of having a PvP set of gear confuses someone for more than one warzone, I hope they never get a driver's licence.

As far as people being locked out of set bonuses who don't pvp or raid.... that the whole idea. The very incentive to get end game gear is to DO end game content! Otherwise why would you do pvp or raids? End game gear was never meant for snow flakes that wanna RP in there NS stronghold or go all supersayin' on tatooine heroics. It was suppose to be an incentive to engage the hardest content so you can get the best rewards.

The problem is this gearing method makes no sense.

In fact is has NEVER made any sense.

If you have just cleared the very hardest content in the game in Non-BiS Gear why do you need to be rewarded BiS gear?

You've just completed the hardest content, so what do you need it for?

If you can clear the hardest content without BiS gear then you don't NEED BiS Gear as a reward.

All The Best

The problem is this gearing method makes no sense.

In fact is has NEVER made any sense.

If you have just cleared the very hardest content in the game in Non-BiS Gear why do you need to be rewarded BiS gear?

You've just completed the hardest content, so what do you need it for?

If you can clear the hardest content without BiS gear then you don't NEED BiS Gear as a reward.

All The Best

Of course you don't *need* it to clear the hardest content, but it ends up being the reward for clearing the hardest content. The incentive for clearing the hardest content is to get the best gear, the gear in itself does not magically make you have the abilities to clear NiM content. It's simply the incentive or "carrot" as it were to have you do end game. Want the best? Beat the hardest content, then you get the best.

The best gear in the game is basically the "trophy" you get for clearing the hardest content, it was never needed - whats needed is solid rotations and a good team that knows the encounter , that's all that really *needed* to clear NiM content. When 5.0 came out, hardcore raid teams cleared NiM with 224/230 gear, farcry from BiS but did hardest content - there reward? BiS gear. It's merely a reward, not a need.

The idea of BiS is to make clearing content faster. It was never designed to be needed to clear NiMs or pvp, but once you have it, you can clear those faster and more efficiently. In the MMO world, essentially the idea of "beating the game" is to get the hardest content on farm. Once you have it on farm, you beat the game, sort of speak. You wait for new encounters to challenge you to become the best again, rinse repeat a thousand times over.

End game was never suppose to be "Okay I have the best gear in the game, now what? Link it in gen chat?"

This is what SWTOR has become though sadly. Unless you pvp, then BiS suddenly is more desirable (but not needed, a good rotation and properly managed dcds will destroy BiS every time)

Edited by DenariusJay

• Dev Post

I may be opening a can of worms (:eek:) by replying, but I wanted to address the question about Tier 5. Essentially, what you are seeing is just old data that needs to be purged.

We have no plans to add Tier 5 levels/crates to Galactic Command anytime soon. I'll be sure to kick off a thread after I release the Roadmap to dive deeper into our gearing vision for the coming year. That way, we're all on the same footing and can have a good discussion about what and when.

---Keith

I may be opening a can of worms (:eek:) by replying, but I wanted to address the question about Tier 5. Essentially, what you are seeing is just old data that needs to be purged.

We have no plans to add Tier 5 levels/crates to Galactic Command anytime soon. I'll be sure to kick off a thread after I release the Roadmap to dive deeper into our gearing vision for the coming year. That way, we're all on the same footing and can have a good discussion about what and when.

---Keith

Thank you, Keith.

---Keith

Good to know - thanks for the clarification!

---Keith

Thank you Keith. As a matter of fact I was just telling a friend if this goes through I'm unsubbing.

Your information is immensely appreciated. This is an excellent example of why communication between higher ups and players base is important.

Of course you don't *need* it to clear the hardest content, but it ends up being the reward for clearing the hardest content. The incentive for clearing the hardest content is to get the best gear, the gear in itself does not magically make you have the abilities to clear NiM content. It's simply the incentive or "carrot" as it were to have you do end game. Want the best? Beat the hardest content, then you get the best.

My point still stands.

What purpose does that gear serve if you can beat the hardest content without it? None.

Its not even a "reward", because a useless reward is not really a reward at all.

All The Best

---Keith

Have my babies, Keith. It's the 21st century, we can make it happen.

Signed,

Person Whose 'Main' Is Only GC Rank 190 And Has Only One Other Toon At Tier 2

We have no plans to add Tier 5 levels/crates to Galactic Command anytime soon.---Keith

:ph_cheers:

:ph_love_this:

Way to go.

That earns you a lot of goodwill. The trouble with goodwill is that it needs to be maintained. Wish you luck.

Edited by mike_carton

---Keith

Any update on fixing Master Mode Ops loot? I'm bored to death pvping because half the loot doesn't even drop in Master Mode.

---Keith

Thank you very much for the reply! I am looking forward to the gearing discussion.

Edited by stoopicus

My point still stands.

What purpose does that gear serve if you can beat the hardest content without it? None.

Its not even a "reward", because a useless reward is not really a reward at all.

All The Best

You can beat it faster, that is the purpose. It is still useful, not useless at all. Not "needed" but still a good enough reward for those that wish to down and farm end game content.

Anyways, ....

Edited by DenariusJay

We have no plans to add Tier 5 levels/crates to Galactic Command anytime soon.---Keith

Of course a lot depends on the meaning of "anytime soon." In my opinion, after what has transpired starting with 5.0, "anytime soon" is one year from now; I'd like to see gear stabilize at 248 for a calendar year during which time the focus would shift to new content. I know even some in the player base like grinding and want more gear tiers now.

---Keith

Keith, thank you for responding. Your response sounds like there is promise of improvement in gearing. Currently, the goofy system we have is a disaster. But then, you play the game and I expect are well aware of how bad it is and what it has done to the game in the last 6+ months.

Command ranks and CXP serve no purpose and the command system isn't even a real progression system.

Progression systems in other games give you incremental stat boosts and are typically just boosting passive stats etc. This command system exists only to give the addicted completionists a reason to stay subscribed and playing.

That is the truth, it would have been something only for Addicts to have cause to want to do.

I'm glad there won't be a Tier 5, but Keith seems to allude that there "was" a Tier 5 for something.

Edited by MandFlurry

Command ranks and CXP serve no purpose and the command system isn't even a real progression system.

Progression systems in other games give you incremental stat boosts and are typically just boosting passive stats etc.

This command system exists only to give the addicted completionists a reason to stay subscribed and playing.

Six months into 5.0 and there is still Command Crates and the Merc-Mando overpower issue. 3.0/4.0 system was bettter. Earn currency, purchase gear.

The 4.0 system was the best endgame gearing system I have seen in any MMO save Eve, where there isn't one (it's all player driven on the market.)

5.x was an embarrassing, mediocre step back to RNG. In 2016/17. Amazing.