2.0 Juggernaut Defensive Stats Help

Consular_Bob

Hi, Have been reading through the Tank Stat Distribution by KeyboardNinja. Although he has gone into a lot of detail, it has somewhat confused me significantly. However, that said, not hard to do!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering if anyone knew what the % is ideal for a Jugg Tank in regards of Def/Shield/Abs.

ie.......20% Def, 40 Shield, 35% absorb for example (just an example). Would love to know this so I know what augments/gear I need to move about.

Also, does anyone have a good Askmrrobot build I could look at for a Jugg Tank?

Thx for all your help :)

Short answer is that it depends on your gear level. Obviously being in full 72 augmented hear, you should have higher %'s than being in unaugmented Dread Guard gear. KBNs post is the best way to get a quick idea at any stat lvl.

Go to your toons stat page and put your mouse over your "Defensive Chance" stat. You'll see the actual number of defense you have in your gear. Then put your mouse over your "Shield Chance" stat and take down that number. Lastly put your mouse over "shield absorption" and write down that number. Add those three together and you'll have your total mitigation stat pool. Since you are a Jugg, you'll use the Guardian List. from the list, the first number is your stat pool (all 3 of your stat amounts added together). The second number is your Defense. The third is shield and the last is absorb.

here is an example at 2000 Stat pool

2000,{defense->977,shield->729,absorb->294}

This says when you have about 2000 mitigation stat (from adding up Defense, shield and absorb) You should have 977 defense, 729 shield and 294 absorb.

Looking at this, Juggs like defense. I am currently using all Defense Augments, all absorb mods and all shield/defense enhancements. This gets me pretty close on the stat numbers. I am a little high on defense but I like defense. It, for me, is a good way to aim for gearing. Makes it easy.

OK thx....so added up I have 1947, broken down as follows:

Def - 938

Shield - 735

Absorb - 274

So off these stats, I could do with swapping out a Shield augment for a def one....that would bring me almost optimal for my current gear. I will not do that as my next piece will make me have to change something again :)

Thx very much for the help :)

Since you asked for an AMR here is dip's one http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f4f059f3-a83f-4d82-8bb1-ff52c0cf84e6

The 66 enhancements are crafted (I think blue versions are obtained via seeker droid), if you take http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/46103/advanced-bastion-enhancement-31 instead you will have more shield and less def than is ideal and will have more health. I doubt that there will be a significant difference if you go with the 72s over the 66s (saying this as a healer) so it is a decision you need to make for yourself. It will depend on NiM TFB, currently HM S&V can be cleared while far away from those ideal numbers.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

The 66 enhancements are crafted (I think blue versions are obtained via seeker droid)

The Immunity and Sturdiness enhancements can be crafted by any Artifice that bothers to craft and RE them up from greens. Since they're pretty much the second best tanking enhancements in the game right now (the best are the 31 Bastion and Bulwark enhs from HM Ops gear) and the best that you can get without *doing* HM Ops, *every* Artifice should have learned them or plan on it (virtually every other craftable enh is worthless except for leveling).

I doubt that there will be a significant difference if you go with the 72s over the 66s (saying this as a healer) so it is a decision you need to make for yourself.

I would still err on the side of the grade 31 enhs, if only because you're going to be hurting for hp if you only use the grade 28s. The mitigation remains largely the same, but going from full 28 enhs to full 31s represents almost 2k hp, which can allow you to go with full unlettered variant mods without negatively affecting your max hp (which means a significant increase in total mitigation both from larger Blade Barrier as well as your raw mitigation budget).

• 2 weeks later...
Since you asked for an AMR here is dip's one http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f4f059f3-a83f-4d82-8bb1-ff52c0cf84e6

The 66 enhancements are crafted (I think blue versions are obtained via seeker droid), if you take http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/46103/advanced-bastion-enhancement-31 instead you will have more shield and less def than is ideal and will have more health. I doubt that there will be a significant difference if you go with the 72s over the 66s (saying this as a healer) so it is a decision you need to make for yourself. It will depend on NiM TFB, currently HM S&V can be cleared while far away from those ideal numbers.

Dude 35k HP....that doesn't seem even close to enough. I have 41k on my guardian and I sacrifice Defense rating to do so

Dude 35k HP....that doesn't seem even close to enough. I have 41k on my guardian and I sacrifice Defense rating to do so

That's because you're using the bad Enhs. The ones from commendation gear are *terrible*.

35k is plenty for current content. If it ceases to be for any future content I will increase it.

Case and point http://i.imgur.com/jZs5slZ.jpg tanks were Pinkiepi and Headstrong both at 35k, one with endurance gear and one with full mitigation gear. Yes they are VGs but those numbers are as good for Juggs.

However, I will not be using 66 crafted enhancements as it was proven that it is not worth it. I don't remember the specifics but they are in Dip's thread.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Assuming you don't have easy access to UW gear (and thus the 72 bulwark/bastion enhancements and unlettered mods), even the "bad" 72 enhancements (vigilant/steadfast) are viable. A mix of 69 bastion/bulwark and 72 vigilant/steadfast can get you to a good place.

If you're going to trade mitigation for endurance, the most efficient place to do it is the mods. You gain more endurance per point of sacrificed mitigation through mods than you do with enhancements.

Enhancements (Bulwark vs Vigilant):

+16 End

-15 Abs

Mods (31 vs 31B):

+22 End

-11 Abs

Mitigation > Endurance

It is sadly a common misconception.... too many folks think the best tank is the one with the most HP. I blame the abundance of Shadow tanks for that. The truth is often the opposite.

It is sadly a common misconception.... too many folks think the best tank is the one with the most HP. I blame the abundance of Shadow tanks for that. The truth is often the opposite.

It's not really something that just happens to Shadow tanks, especially since Shadow tanks are rewarded just as much by stacking the living hell out of mitigation as the other tanks.

The problem is two-fold: the first half is that hp is easy to see (so people make a snap judgment) and mitigation is hard to see (especially since the "inspect" summary values are notoriously unreliable); the second half is that the most easily accessible higher item level gear is *massively* focused on Endurance (which is, comically enough, designed to be terrible) and most people think item level is more important than (or, at the very least, closely related to) the actual distribution of stats on a piece of gear (which it's not, which is why the commendation Verpine gear is worse than what you can get through straight up crafting, mainly because of the horrible enhs).

It's not really something that just happens to Shadow tanks, especially since Shadow tanks are rewarded just as much by stacking the living hell out of mitigation as the other tanks.

).

You are of course correct and I wasn't trying to blame the Shadows. I should have clarified.... Shadow tanks always seem to have the highest amount of HP and, I think, benefit from high HP more then the other tanks (due to self heal mechanisms). The problem is that players see a Shadow with 41k health, then see my Guardian with 31k and assume I must be a horrible.

Shadow tanks always seem to have the highest amount of HP and, I think, benefit from high HP more then the other tanks (due to self heal mechanisms).

Shadows have the most but not by as much as most people think. Each rank of Shadow's Training (of which I think there are 6-7: one at every level divisible by 10 and then another 1-2 on the 51-55) adds 5 Endurance, and Mental Fortitude (which not all Shadow's take and is also available to VGs) adds 3% additional hp. At most, the difference in hp is all of 1-1.2k. The bigger impact on visible hp is going to be from gearing, especially in using high mitigation mods/enhs rather than the high Endurance versions.

The problem is that players see a Shadow with 41k health, then see my Guardian with 31k and assume I must be a horrible.

Oh, I've been on the same end. My first pug Toborro's there was another Shadow in group with 38k hp (reusable stimmed) while I had 30k (unstimmed) thinking he was better geared than I was, because, you know, hp. He completely missed the fact that I was only missing set tokens (all of my armorings were 63 DG) in order to be absolutely BiS for SM ops. I had low hp because I was, like any intelligent tank, using a full suite of Immunity/Sturdiness enhs (I think I was full Immunity and still am), a full suite of mitigation augs, and pretty much all unlettered mods (might've been missing a couple). I had, pretty much, minimized my hp and maximized my mitigation. When I checked his gear, he was using almost all high End commendation enhs, many with the accuracy and alacrity still on them, B variant mods, old relics, and bad implants (with accuracy), not to mention his full 69 armorings with no set bonuses. He actually criticized me for still using my 63 DG armorings saying that I was "item level 150" (cuz, you know, armoring is the *only* thing that would affect that) when it provides a significant increase to mitigation using them rather than the non-set.

Anyone that looks to hp as a marker for tank effectiveness is just bad. I tend to just call them an idiot, tell them to watch, especially if they denegrate me for having low hp, and then reap the benefits of "wow, you're the easiest Shadow I've ever had to heal" at the end of the whatever we're doing. One would assume that, after all the times stuff like this happens, more people would realize that hp is a terrible thing to look at.