Dreadtooth "Dread" buff

So...down on Begeren Colony, I got a group together for Dreadtooth. I'd read the Dulfy guide and watched a video, and Dreadtooth only had one stack, so I figured with a decent group we could down him.

Within 5 seconds of the pull, half the ops group was down, more or less instakilled. We wiped it up and rezzed, and I noticed that the people who got one-shotted had three stacks of a buff called "Dread", which said something to the effect that Dreadtooth could sense our weakness and would destroy us. I can't seem to find any information on this.

Is this a group size limiter (we had 15 in the group, I believe) along the lines of Nightmare Paranoia? Is there something else we need to do? Anyone know?

So...down on Begeren Colony, I got a group together for Dreadtooth. I'd read the Dulfy guide and watched a video, and Dreadtooth only had one stack, so I figured with a decent group we could down him.

Within 5 seconds of the pull, half the ops group was down, more or less instakilled. We wiped it up and rezzed, and I noticed that the people who got one-shotted had three stacks of a buff called "Dread", which said something to the effect that Dreadtooth could sense our weakness and would destroy us. I can't seem to find any information on this.

Is this a group size limiter (we had 15 in the group, I believe) along the lines of Nightmare Paranoia? Is there something else we need to do? Anyone know?

What we believe is that if you aren't initially near the boss when it gets pulled you don't get the "Drouk Hunter" buff. If you attempt to engage Dreadtooth without "Drouk Hunter" you are going to be 1shot. This is of course to prevent people from helping a group fight the boss.

Edited by bigheadbrandon

What we believe is that if you aren't initially near the boss when it gets pulled you don't get the "Drouk Hunter" buff. If you attempt to engage Dreadtooth without "Drouk Hunter" you are going to be 1shot. This is of course to prevent people from helping a group fight the boss.

This is what I we were thinking as well.

Thing to note, I believe if you are stealthed and pull, you will get the "Dread" debuff as well. Can't confirm it, but when we did some testing on it both myself (Operative) and our tank (Assassin) were within 10m from the boss, stealthed when pulled, and we got the debuff and were killed.

Correct, the whole ops group has to be close to the white circle when the boss is pulled. That white circle does not deal you any damage, it is just a marking for where the boss fight takes place, so your melees can stand inside it without a problem.

Also, make sure that only the tank is standing in front of the boss so that your group does not get so much damage.

My guild was pleasantly surprised that the Dread debuff exists, because no longer can other players interfere in the fight or taunt the boss off our tank like it is possible in the Nightmare Pilgrim fight.

There does not seem to be a limit on group size, so you can easily engage the boss at one stack with 16 or even more players -- if you are willing to share the loot between 16 players, that is.

At one stack, the loot is always:

-some credits

-one Dreadful Essence to increase the stack on the boss

-a chance for one or two Molecular Stabilizers OR one or two Synthetic Energy Matrices

-one random T4 campaign (MK-1) armor piece, earpiece, implant etc.

-one Dread Guard Mask

At two stacks, the loot is the same, except that you no longer get a Dreadful Essence.

We are looking forward to figuring out what to do with that Dread Guard Mask! :)

On our (joint Silent Council & Empire) four stack kill last night, we also found that players that were pvp flagged seemed to get dread each time. So turn off your pvp flags...

This is a really fun and challenging fight at 4 stacks, can't wait to try to figure out 5. :D

On our (joint Silent Council & Empire) four stack kill last night, we also found that players that were pvp flagged seemed to get dread each time. So turn off your pvp flags...

This is a really fun and challenging fight at 4 stacks, can't wait to try to figure out 5. :D

It's a very nasty fight at 5 stacks. He drops 10k+ smashes every couple seconds to the entire team plus some big single target hits. It's a very healer intensive fight and it looks like you need to over stock on AOE healing to have a chance.

4 stacks in comparison is very easy. We had a group of 24 geared players and tore the 4 stack version up w/o any issue on the first go. The 5 stack the best we got was down to about 75% health.

What is the loot at 3 stacks and 4 stacks?

If it remains the same, than what is the point in engaging him during that time?

Not exactly sure on the loot table, but it seemed like each stack higher saw an increase in loot. More black hole pieces, 2 dread mask instead of one, etc.

And the only way to fight him at more than one stack is to farm the dreadful essences and apply them before the fight starts to buff him. The whole he gets stronger each time he dies isn't working, at least in our experience we'd kill him and he'd come back 30 minutes later still at 1 stack....

• 2 months later...

Some days ago, me and some guildies/friends decided to challenge Dreadtooth in Section X, too.

He got one stack and we were 12 men (and women), decently geared, so it shouldn’t be much trouble. So we thought.

But in fact we wiped a couple of times. I guess not due to lacking DPS/HPS (even with half of us and 2/3 Heal down - see below - we got him to roundabout 60%), but since half of our group received the “Dread”-debuff upon pulling Dreadtooth or within seconds into the fight.

Usually (and according to the guides I know... Dulfy's for example), you shouldn’t be too far from the tank pulling Dreadtooth to receive the “Drouk Hunter”-buff (for receiving codex, title and loot).

We stood near each other with the tank between 10 meters (nearest try) and 25-30 meters (most remote try) away from us (and also Dreadtooth at about the same distances), some received Drouk Hunter, some don’t and instead received the Dread-debuff within seconds.

After receiving the debuff, the appropriated players (always about half of our group) were killed within seconds with a zero-damage-note.

So the questions that came to our minds were:

(a) where/in which distance you have to be from the tank and/or Dreadtooth to receive the Drouk Hunter-buff and not the Dread-debuff?

(b) where/in which distance from Dreadtooth (and perhaps the white circle) you have do be to retain Drouk Hunter and not loose it/receive Dread? (perhaps different for melees and ranges?)

© is there any other condition not mentioned for receiving either the buff or debuff?

:rak_02:

“You will lose Drouk Hunter if you return to medcenter, remain out of combat for too long, or if you re-engage Dreadooth at full health.”

So don't go to a medcenter, don't leave combat for more than 1 minute/60 seconds and don't leave leave combat heal up to 100% and rejoin the fight (although I've never tested the last one).

Retaining Drouk Hunter isn't the issue, it's odd that out of 12 of you only 6 got the buff though.

Keep in mind you entering combat seems to have some effect getting the buff, so I'd advise healers to start healing and dps to start dpsing as soon as the tank pulls - try stacking right behind the tank or next to the offtank (you don't need an offtank for 1 stack but it helps).

“You will lose Drouk Hunter if you return to medcenter, remain out of combat for too long, or if you re-engage Dreadooth at full health.”

So don't go to a medcenter, don't leave combat for more than 1 minute/60 seconds and don't leave leave combat heal up to 100% and rejoin the fight (although I've never tested the last one).

Unfortunately, we didn't even get a chance to do any of these. :(

It was just: position the tank, position the rest of the OP (in a certain range from the tank an Dreadtooth), pull! Then some got the buff, some don't... a couple of seconds (haven't stoped the time... 3... maybe 5, maybe 7 seconds) later half of the OP goes "boom" with the "Dread"-debuff, some even standing right next to another player still having the buff.

We also skipped the couple of seconds we give our tank to build up aggro during later trys. Unfortunately to no avail. :confused:

Retaining Drouk Hunter isn't the issue, it's odd that out of 12 of you only 6 got the buff though.

That's what confuses me, too. Especially, since there was no "reason" for it. We stood witin arms reach of one another, opened fire/heal together... one get the buff, one the debuff. :confused:

Keep in mind you entering combat seems to have some effect getting the buff, so I'd advise healers to start healing and dps to start dpsing as soon as the tank pulls - try stacking right behind the tank or next to the offtank (you don't need an offtank for 1 stack but it helps).

Right behind the tank is something we'd try... we also stood only about 10 meters away on two or three trys (we also brought a second tank with us, just for backup).

Has anybody downed Dreadtooth within... say... the last two weeks and either encountered this issue, too? Or downed him within that timeframe without any buff/debuff-issues?

(Anyway, thanks for helping. :) )

We had our first run against DT yesterday. We downed him and didn't run into any buff/debuff issues. Our tank pulled, we ran around behind DT and went from there. As we didn't really know what we were doing we were expecting the white circle to do something so this vid shows some hilarity but also that we had no issues:

We had our first run against DT yesterday. We downed him and didn't run into any buff/debuff issues. Our tank pulled, we ran around behind DT and went from there. As we didn't really know what we were doing we were expecting the white circle to do something so this vid shows some hilarity but also that we had no issues:

Ah, good to know/see.

Even if we basically did nearly anything the same way you did and I still have no clue what caused the debuff... it's really good to see that it "works". ;)

I'll have my guild/friends-OP start on the same spot (unstimed, unflaged etc.) and try to narrow it down from there.

And Congrats.

:ph_thank_you::tran_smile:

Ah, good to know/see.

Even if we basically did nearly anything the same way you did and I still have no clue what caused the debuff... it's really good to see that it "works". ;)

I'll have my guild/friends-OP start on the same spot (unstimed, unflaged etc.) and try to narrow it down from there.

And Congrats.

:ph_thank_you::tran_smile:

Ensure your healers dont have any bubbles / HOTs on people and your offtanks are not guarding anyone at start. It took us a lot of wipes to understand this :p. What we found happens is that a healer places a bubble on tank, tank pulls and takes damage which is absorbed by the bubble. This counts as healing, but the healer hasn't got the drouk hunter buff yet. So healer gets debuffed and dies. Same for scoundrel HOTs.

Basically, stay close to the boss at pull, and don't perform ANY offensive / defensive action till you get the drouk hunter buff.

Ensure your healers dont have any bubbles / HOTs on people and your offtanks are not guarding anyone at start. It took us a lot of wipes to understand this :p. What we found happens is that a healer places a bubble on tank, tank pulls and takes damage which is absorbed by the bubble. This counts as healing, but the healer hasn't got the drouk hunter buff yet. So healer gets debuffed and dies. Same for scoundrel HOTs.

Basically, stay close to the boss at pull, and don't perform ANY offensive / defensive action till you get the drouk hunter buff.

I dont think this is correct.Last night we downed him at 5 stacks,all 3 tanks were shielded and had HOT's and still noone died instanly.By the way loot at 5 stacks is the same(2 masks,2essences,an implant and a stab),but u get a codex entry.That thing with the PvP flag is correct though.And shield always counts as absorbe not heal.