New Feature Request: Crew Skill App for Android.

jrwizzard

Overall bad idea. There already is some long haul missions you can unlock, that you can send your companions on before you log. If you are using a VNC program to remotely play personally I think that should be considered a bannable offense since you are giving yourself an unfair advantage. Just my opinion.

So you want to do crew skills while not in the game? Basically power level up your crafting?

I wouldn't exactly call that fair. I doubt it would ever be implemented.

Its really not that different than WoW's auctioneer app they have for Droid and iPhone. Seems like a perfectly reasonable request. I doubt it would ever get implemented, but it would be a cool idea.

• 1 month later...

how many people here played assasins creed brotherhood. they made a facebook game that linked up to your actual game and you could go into it and send your training assasins on missions that would give them experience and money in the actual game.

this was a good way for someone to level up assasins without the disadvantage of not having them available when you are playing the story.

why not have something similer for this, it didnt hurt AC brotherhood.

and no its not disadvantaging people. at the moment i have a vpn set up that lets me get from mo home computer to my work computer and vice versa and use it every hour or so to send my crew on missions while im at work. this way when i want to play the game i can still have companions with me on my lower level characters

I think this would be a great addition for swtor to have an app on the android/iphone/windows

They could go down the blizzard route and charge an additional subscrition for it however I would like access to the email box and maybe access to the GTN too.

I think it would be great for players to send their alts off on crew skill missions / crafting while your at work or away from your pc.

It's already in the works, y'all:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-17th-2012

- Crew skill mobile apps

- Warzone changes including 14 new medals

GnovaD: Are there any plans to introduce mobile apps to the game? Eg. Use smart phone/tablet to send companions on missions while offline.

Damion Schubert: Let's just say that this has always been a dream of mine for crew skills - it's almost as if this design was created specifically with this in mind, doesn't it? Good news, sometimes dreams do come true! The bad news is that I have no ETA for you, though, as this is a significant technical endeavor.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't remember exactly where, but I think in one of their meet the developers, or community blogs, or something official in the last month or so they said they knew this was a cool idea but if it happened it would be a long long time down the road. If I can find the article, I'll link to it.

I totally agree this would be an awesome function.

I can't remember exactly where, but I think in one of their meet the developers, or community blogs, or something official in the last month or so they said they knew this was a cool idea but if it happened it would be a long long time down the road. If I can find the article, I'll link to it.

I totally agree this would be an awesome function.

To add to this....

Pure speculation based on other game's implementation of something similar (WOW mobile auction house)...

If they ever do implement it, it is a safe bet that they will charge for the privilege.

You can actually do this right now with an Iphone/ Ipad or Android, basically all your doing is remote controlling your home pc which of coarse needs to be up and running the game, any type of remote control software like VNC which is free can do this.

There is also some youtube videos of people doing this.

I personally use TeamViewer for this, since it's free for both PC and Android (probably iOS too, but I'm not a big Apple guy, so no idea.) I used it to hang around during the Rakghoul event and explode all over people while at work.

Only downside is not being able to move in the game, but if you're just logging in and sending peons out on missions and / or chatting, then it works "well enough." Heavy bandwidth usage, though.

I, too, would like to see such an app added. I feel that such an app would keep me more involved in the game, and have me coming back more often.

While it is true that one could use a remote desktop application on their phone, leave the game running with the Crew Skills window open, this is less than ideal. I only have a laptop, and it can get very hot if left on for long periods of time (it is also not very fast, and neither is my phone). I have used remote desktop applications on other games for such purposes, but the experience was frustrating and took longer than it should have.

I would imagine that the studio would not want to just go ahead and do this, but they could make it a members-only feature (where, for example, a F2P Player could only send companions on crew tasks 5 times a week with more times purchasable through the Cartel Shop).

Edited by Kickimanjaro

I think the older posts are funny, people complaining about it being fair or unfair. And as long as there is a version of the app for iOS, Windows Phone and Android, maybe even a section of the website for it too, that would be plenty fair, as everyone should have equal access to it. Also there was such an app promised to us at some point in time during the Guild summit. I would love to see a detailed update on this idea. Edited by SuperGrunt

I personally use TeamViewer for this, since it's free for both PC and Android (probably iOS too, but I'm not a big Apple guy, so no idea.) I used it to hang around during the Rakghoul event and explode all over people while at work.

Only downside is not being able to move in the game, but if you're just logging in and sending peons out on missions and / or chatting, then it works "well enough." Heavy bandwidth usage, though.

I tried using Synergy with my gaming PC and laptop, but that didn't work out too well. Even without Synergy running it would mess with the mouse controls on my computer when I was in WOW and SWTOR. Some of my class mates and my teachers said they did not have this problem but they also said that they where not playing MMOs.

The crafting system Bioware implemented in this game SCREAMS for an app. I think its something that Bioware really needs to consider. Make it 2 or 3 dollars extra a month....thats like logging in to the game anyway, I would pay for it. Heck, I wish they could figure a way to implement the space game in a mobile game. Mobile is the future, Bioware needs to jump on that train. Their game really sets up perfectly for it.

The crafting system Bioware implemented in this game SCREAMS for an app. I think its something that Bioware really needs to consider. Make it 2 or 3 dollars extra a month....thats like logging in to the game anyway, I would pay for it. Heck, I wish they could figure a way to implement the space game in a mobile game. Mobile is the future, Bioware needs to jump on that train. Their game really sets up perfectly for it.

I agree the crafting system seems set up for it. I mean 30 minute gathering times, perfect for checking at work (quickly while the boss isn't looking).

I do have a small concern IF the mobile app comes out. I think mat prices would drop to the actual cost of the mission... there would be such a supply that the demand would drop and players that are all gathering, no craft would lose some viability.