PVP 101 rule. Never let a Merc or Commando guard an objective by themselves

Individual

I'm perfectly happy to leave a healing commando to solo guard and objective. They take a LONG time to kill. As for dps merc well yeah they need help in pvp.

I should of said DPS mercs or cammandos. I would also be comfortable leaving a merc / commando healer at a point as long as they were geared.

The title of this thread itself made me laugh. I've lost count of how many times I've been left to solo guard a node as a DPS merc. When that happens all you can do is call incoming when they appear. You'll never survive the encounter on your own.

Yeah, I've an arsenal merc alt. For the love of the Emporer don't leave me alone to guard a node, just shoot me in the head yourself before you run off.

Super galling when I start off to help the other node, then ALL THREE teammates behind me leave the node, so I turn around and run back past them so there's at least someone to call inc.

Tip in this situation: Sweeping Blasters as an extra on-demand stealth scan. I start nervously flicking my camera between the node and the approach routes while dropping scans/sweeping blasters and waiting for the inevitable double-stealther gank.

Merc dps can't fill any role on a team other than support dps. They can't guard. They can't sprint to fast cap a node. They can't act as the interceptor when sending 2 people to cap a side node at the start of a match since they don't have any 30m interdiction abilities. They have no utility at all. And then to top it off, for the only function they can fill, dps-ing, they are the worst dps subclass in the game.

The reality is that part of the reason Merc dps won't get buffed and why BW still considers Merc dps OP is that Merc dps is caught in this "no utility trap". Because Merc dps can't fill these other functions, they get filled by other subclasses while Merc dps is sent to go and dps. Thus Merc dps tends to have higher meta average damage scores. Constrast this with Assassin tanks - everyone's favorite solo node guard. Since Assassin tanks are used for this low damage+healing+protection role so often, their meta averages are much lower. Hence BW assumes they are underpowered and buffed them in 1.4.

Don't blame the Merc or Commando, most of them know it's not their job. Blame the rest of your team.

The general mindset among players is: must DPS must DPS must DPS *drool*. I've seen it thousands of times. Everyone is chomping at the bit, ready to jump in there and pwn some nubs. No plan, no coordination, just over-eager derps who could care less about who gets left behind to cap/guard a node. All they know is, they're not going to be the one to do it. They're much too valuable to the team as DPS.

There is a HUGE difference in how Merc/Commando performs when you're in a group who understands that their role is support DPS. They are more than capable of topping damage charts and being an asset to the team. So if you don't want them guarding objectives...don't leave them there.

Edited by TheronFett

Yes, a team that leaves a DPS merc or commando to guard solo is terrible - and my goodness that AC needs some serious help. As someone stated, they're a support DPS class (supposedly) and should be pretty much left free to run with the team and add damage - and can put out respectable numbers against an average PUG.

To be fair though, there are a LOT of bad mercs/commandos who can't seem to break 200k even when left to freecast by the enemy team. It is very tempting to put dead weight on guard duty, and sadly people get tarred with the same brush.

Lesson 2: Be a Jedi Knight or a Sith Warrior this is called the L2Pick the right class

Oh, that's what L2P means.

"Rerolls a marauder and does a few battles"

... huh, you're right- suddenly I am the best player on my team every battle!

Thank you l2p, you changed my life!

Well, of course you dont leave a mercenary or commando by themself to guard. Im a mercenary, and I know its not the best in any way, but if there is a large amount of people fighting in one area, a mercenary is great. But you cant give them heat if they cant defend a target, because its almost always a melee fighter who goes to liberate it.

I'm perfectly happy to leave a healing commando to solo guard and objective. They take a LONG time to kill. As for dps merc well yeah they need help in pvp.

They do, assuming they are good...but you shouldn't leave a healer to solo guard a node. Especially since you are probably in PUGs and that is probably a 90% chance that they are the only healer on your team.

But yeah commando merc need an overhaul.

They do, assuming they are good...but you shouldn't leave a healer to solo guard a node. Especially since you are probably in PUGs and that is probably a 90% chance that they are the only healer on your team.

But yeah commando merc need an overhaul.

My main is heals so I usually don't have to worry about there not being another healer if the commando healer guards. Combine that with the reality that most pub pugs on my server can't even break 80k dmg in a medium length wz and you'll understand why I'm willing to leave another healer at the off node. I can heal harder to do both our jobs. Doing dps to cover for bieng down a dps when our dps is so low anyways, not so efficent as heals.

Edited by Asunasan

I'd have to agree with this. People allow my CM Commando solo guard objectives all the time because I can heal and interupt until reenforcements arrive.

tbh it doesn't matter what class defends as long as its not the healer and tank who could be better used elsewhere.

They should be able to call an INC as soon as people start heading towards the node and get backup as the fight start, if they are not saying anything and attempting to solo an enemy they know they can't kill then they are just bad.