Official Q&A Thread for July 27th Blog Post

CourtneyWoods

Hello and welcome to the official Q&A thread for questions to be answered for the July 27th, 2012 Q&A blog post.

As a reminder, we’ll be starting up a weekly Q&A blog series in which we will select questions from the community and post answers to them every Friday. We’ll have the next set of answers next week on July 27th, 2012, but before that, we need your questions!

Please use this thread to ask your question (one per community member, so make it count!). On Wednesday at 2PM CDT (8PM BST/9PM CEST/5AM AEST), we will close this thread, select the questions, and get answers to them for Friday’s blog post.

In order to increase the chances of having your specific question answered and to help us keep the thread manageable, here are some guidelines on asking questions:

1. Keep your question relatively short. Background details are welcome, but don’t go overboard.
  2. Please actually ask a question. We want to hear constructive feedback elsewhere in the Forums.
  3. Use common sense – we cannot answer everything, especially on far-reaching content.
  4. This should go without saying, but be respectful.
  5. Limit yourself to one question in this thread, please. You can always ask another question next week!
  6. And finally, as a reminder, this is not a discussion thread. Do not comment about what somebody else has posted.

As development plans are always subject to change, questions about future features will often get vague answers which can be repetitive and sometimes annoying. With that in mind, the development team is more interested in questions about current in-game features or systems, or questions about why development decisions were made. You’re still welcome to ask questions about future features and we’ll continue to answer them where appropriate – just expect the occasional ‘soon.’

Any other posts apart from questions in the thread will be removed.

With that being said, please ask away!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are we likely to see the "Match to Companion Chest" feature implmented? Also, are we likely to see the "Hood Up / Hood Down" toggle for Jedi robes in the forseeable future? And finally, what is the potential for incorporating our Companions into a "class" so they can use armor which is tagged for Troopers, Smugglers, Jedi, etc.? It seems rather strange that a companion like Aric Jorgen is assigned to Havoc Squad, yet can't wear armor that is designated for "Troopers".

is there any plans to rewrite character creation so you can expand/contract/rotate/ maybe reposition each individual part of the face?

that might seem liek abit much to ask...but 4 body types and 8 heads is not very good choice o.o

i myself am around 6'2" tall,and about a spindly as a japanese snow crab....and ive yet to find a body type that matches that

Edited by Baphomet_x

So, upon reaching level 50 as my Juggernaut, him being my first human character, i had expected humans to be included in this statement on legacy species unlocks: "if you unlock a species like Cyborg that has unique customization options per class, you open up all possible customization options for every class."

but upon entering character creation, i discovered that this was not the case, and for example, a tattooed Consular is still not an option.

so, am i missing something?

or assuming i'm not, what was the reasoning behind not including humans in this aspect of legacy?

and also, will we possibly see a human customizations unlock in the future?

When will we be able to sit in chairs? For RP players this is an important feature for us and there are an abundance of chairs yet to be touched.. Would love to have an answer on this as I expected it in the 1.3 update, the video showed different classes sitting in chairs and was sadly disappointed when allies was released. Edited by Seraphynn

Q. Based on previous statements for PVE (where you said you didn't want certain classes effectively excluded from group content because other classes were deemed to be superior) will you be taking the same approach to PVP balance? Currently ranked WZ setups are only looking to take two DPS classes and one healing class almost exclusively.

The reasoning behind adding belts, bracers, gloves, and boots to the pool of craftable Custom (orange) schematics was stated to be that some "looks" really needed the full set to come off well. However, most of the belts, bracers, gloves, and boots added in 1.3 do not match the helmet, chestguard, and pants of their sets. Also, the new pieces often have vastly different level requirements than the old pieces

Are these discrepancies intentional? And if not, is there any timetable for fixing them?

Are there plans or will we ever have the current Bind on Pickup gear converted into BIND ON LEGACY?

Background: the initial Bind gear was developed to fight off gold sellers. Now, we have LEGACY, which is pretty much account on server. Therefore, bind gear is no longer needed per character, so it can and should be extended to Legacy, or account. It is quality of life, or normality, since we can keep the original idea intact : gear cannot leave the account, but it can be traded freely among the characters within the account, while still preserving the "no GTN sell".

As it stands right now, our companions are not very vocal. They currently only express their opinions during a few of the class quests. Our companions are deep characters; I think they would be more expressive.

Are there any plans to have our companions talk (banter?) outside of our class quests, like during side quest/flashpoint conversations?

Why are the dailies in the Black Hole area non-phased for Republic players, while Imperial players are phased? Are there any plans to change this to where Republic players can be in phased areas for their missions.

Will we ever see gear that is designed for companion characters that actually is designed around them as a character? Such as mandalorian armor for Akaavi Spar, or Sith Juggernaut armor for Lord Scourge?

Companion appearence is important to me and it annoys me how these two characters essentialy get forced into trooper/jedi gear in order to be useable in combat.

Lately you have been implementing "Server stability" fixes. Can you explain what exactly that is? I keep visualizing some intern sliding napkin shims under a corner of the server. Is this to fix lag issues, log in times, or transition screen load times?

With Valve annoucing that they are going to make Left 4 Dead 2 as well as Steam work in linux, has the SW:TOR team ever thought about making the game work natively in linux, and what challenges would you see if it was possible?

With all the talk of free to play and a many many posts about people quitting, when will we see better communication? Most the time the QA thread is awful with few answers and nothing about anything thats going to make the game better or encourage people to log in?

With the announcement of HK-51 and talk of having to have characters of both factions on the same server to unlock him, can we expect to see paid for character transfers before patch 1.4? This would be helpful for those of us with Imperial characters on one server and Republic characters on another.

After leveling several characters, I've started to notice that much of the world art in the game is re-used extensively, and it leads to many planets feeling similar and starting to blur together (i.e., all the urbanized worlds have a very similar look-and-feel, with the notable exception of Nar Shaddaa), and lacking really stand-out features that make the world pop and a joy to explore. Going forward, is this something the world building and art teams want to address and, if so, how?

Can you share with us any idea about when we can expect to see companions being able to hide helmets and match their armor to chest color. As well as players and companions showing hoods up/down ?

In regards to the Gunslinger, Sharpshooter evolution. The class skills seems to be primarily a glass canon, yet in comparison to other DPS classes it seems to lack damage when compared to the Vanguard, Agent or Marauder, and in most instances it also lacks survivability, making it one of the easiest classes to kill in PVP. This is because the class must root itself to one spot, and its main trademark move, Hunker down, is currently bugged so its negated by anything that removes you from the cover stance.

Are there any plans to make changes to the class to make Sharpshooter a more viable skill tree to take in both PvE and PvP?

Edited by Selvec

When can we expect to hear some news on the upcoming same-gender relationships (SGRs) with companions? Many who are looking forward to this would like to know which companions will be available for SGRs, as well as if they'll be able to start those romances with companions who are already at full affection. Thank you. :)