Carnage Rotation Advice (for the new mara players)

RACATW

• 1 month later...
Pretty much sums it up. after running carnage for years i have caved in to the fury faceroll.

There goes another one....tut...tut...tut....

Enjoy Fury, everyone else is heh

<<Back at the Carnage Cave>>

Hello? OOooo.....

Anyone else out there? EeEeeee.....

.......... Bueler...Bueler....Bueler.....

Shyt...

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

For anyone new to mara in PvP (or PvE) wondering what the new rotation is after the carnage nerf, it is: carnage into anni or fury. :)

I hope this simple guide helps you!

As expected devs just made carnage being useless. Incompetent combat team.

As expected devs just made carnage being useless. Incompetent combat team.

Another thing we agree on.

It wasn't just a nerf, it was an identity change. Carnage was all about skill, lighting reflexs, high learning curve, high risk/high reward. When you did it right, the rewards were sweet, when it you did it wrong you paid for it.

I still play it, and I can do decently with it in PVP, but the fact remains whatever I'm doing with it now, I would be doing better had 5.6 not performed a vasectomy on it.

Is it more reliable? Sure it is, it's reliable mediocrity and something no one asked for. It use to be the fastest spec in the game, now it's a DPS loss to run high alacrity with it unless you are spanking a dummy or a tank and spank boss.

To be fair, there are some people who do like it this way, and that's their right, no accounting for taste. But those that say they do better with it this way than when it still required significant skill for optimal performance, those were people who were missing attacks in the windows and had a harder time maximizing it's uptime [which admittedly was challenging and is not intended as an insult to anyone].

The way it is now, it's no different than pre 5.6 Carnage you missed the 4 attack in the Beserk ferocity window and the 3rd attack in the non-beserk Ferocity window which you didn't even need to clip to get into it if you timing it correctly.

They stated the reason for the change was they wanted to remove clipping as it's effects were unintended [which is BS, why the hell else would the spec need a +30% alacrity bonus which is an insane amount of alacrity] despite the fact it had gone through three entire metas that way and they never said a word about clipping. There is no way they didn't know clipping was going on for 4 years. - Regardless, the reason being clipping was what was sited.

So how do they get rid of clipping effects? They leave the ability to clip exactly like always, you can still clip. Brilliant reasoning there. Not only do they leave clipping, they take an attack away from the non-berserk ferocity window even thought you didn't need to clip it in the first place.

3 instant attacks, a 3 second ferocity window. Even I can do that math and I'm a total moron.

We had just had our DPS nerfed in 5.2. 5.6 came along and was a utility changing patch. Every single change on the list BW sited for 5.6 listed the class/the spec/ the name of the utility being changed, how it has worked up til than, and what changes were being made to it and the reasons why. - Every spec except for Carnage that is.

They listed no utility for Carnage, gave no name of one, because clipping had nothing to do with utilities, so what do they do? They say, ok, we're going to just nerf your DPS even more, despite that u just got nerfed in 5.2, despite the fact that you didn't need to clip into the non-beserk feroicity window and even had that pointed out to them. Didn't matter, they over nerfed it anyway, - Clipping bought you one extra attack in the berserk window [DST], now two [cumulative] in both windows.

Carnage has been nerfed more times and harder than any other spec in the game in 5.x. A pure DPS class. No heals, that can serve no other purpose other than DPS.

How exactly they can justify classes that can off tank, off heal, have perma stealth, have self heals, can guard other people in DPS spec, can taunt people in DPS, can skank tank, can bring people back from the dead in combat, can teleport, have 5x the range, have more CCs and also have raid buffs, having higher DPS than a Marauder is beyond BS.

No one needs a Marauder to run fast, every class in the game has it's own movement enhancing abilities, and Marauders are not the only class with raid buffs [sorcs, Assassins, Mercs, etc].

What else is there besides those two things they can offer? DPS. - That is all they are, that is all they do, that's all they've ever done. I wouldn't care so much had they not taken so much from Carnage and just thrown it to Fury to build them up. Fury has better burst than carnage, better sustain than carnage, better mobility than Carnage and Anni, better uptime that Carnage and Anni and everything else Marauders get.

I have no issue with that they wanted to buff Fury, it deserved to be buffed, but they didn't have to do it at the expense of another spec that was loved by so many.

There is not one reason to bring a Carnage Marauder instead of a Fury Marauder into any raid at all. Fury is better than carnage in every single way, and not by a small amount, a lot better.

All they needed to do was remove the possibility of clipping, simply make it not possible. That was the stated goal. Had they done that, the spec would have lost the 4th attack in the berserk window, but would have still been able to get the 3rd one in on the non-berserk window which would have saved the spec a considerable amount of DPS loss that was taken without just cause or reason. Furthermore, and even more importantly, it would have preserved the spec's play style and would not have changed it's very identity. Alacrity is more useful for Anni and Fury now, than it is for Carnage and that Berserk ability alacrity bonus that Carnage still has does nothing for the spec save what alacrity does for ever other spec, which makes it nothing unique. There is absolutely no possible reason for a spec to need that much alacrity anymore.

You can still run a high alacrity build on carnage, that is certainly possible and that would make it feel much more like it use to be [though wouldn't return the DPS it lost of course], the irony is, if you do, the speediest spec in the game will suffer a DPS loss for it. - Because that makes sense. If you are fighting a dummy or spanking a stationary boss, that's great, but the other 95% of the time, that build is a straight up DPS loss in actual combat.

So the choice is, run the high alacrity build because it feels great and that's how we've grown use to it, or try and mitigate some of the insane amount of DPS loss to the spec in 5.6 and run a higher power/critical build.

I wish the power/critical build wasn't better for the spec than the higher alacrity one, it just not as fun to play, but you'd just be hurting your DPS. You can get away with it, sure, it's not massive difference [i'd estimate about approximately 150], but for a pure DPS spec who's already lost a ton of DPS, I can't see adding to that intentionally. But if you are very performance orientated, you can't miss it.

I can see the difference in PVP too, which I couldn't after 5.2 nerf, but the difference is not as noticeable as if you are parsing while doing content. The difference is still there though. Even still, you can still do well with it, just not as well as you use to.

I was at 10.7k DPS [not on average, my best] before changes, good luck getting near that now.

High risk/high reward, that was the cornerstone of the spec, the thing people loved about it, the challenge people who mained the spec were addicted to just as much as the lighting speed. Skill mattered. That was Carnage.

Quite honestly, I'd rather they just changed the name of the spec. This isn't Carnage.

In closing, let me just say this. While I am quite happy with what was done to carnage, and I will always be unhappy with it because this is not what Carnage should be after 6 years, to suddenly have it changed so radically, this spec can still be used, it can still put up good numbers in PVP, and even with the stupidity of ferocity stacks, this is still a spec that requires skill to use because it's more nebulous now coming from what it was, and it is still unforgiving of mistakes. Furthermore, you can't even put anything you want it now. That's not a bad thing persay, but, that DST cannot be used in a Ferocity window at all, is ridiculous. - People who are new to this spec will never be on par with those who played it before this change, they just won't be pushed and they won't be tested like pre 5.6 Carnage demanded. There is no rush, there is no missing, there is only choice. Choice always makes things easy. This new "Carnage" will produce mediocre Marauders.

"Calm seas make poor Sailors"

For those who like it, that's great, more power to you, just don't forget what it cost. Don't forget that PVE matters just as much as PVP. Don't forget what you do to for one, effects the other. - You can raid with Carnage if you like and you are lucky enough to find a raid leader who let you, but you are making it harder for the rest of the team because Fury would do so much better.

Fury is too good now, it deserved a buff, but it went overboard and it made the other two specs subpar, and unfortunately that's gonna come back and smack it in the face. PVPers are already sounding the drums on it. I'd like to see all three specs where they should be, and in my opinion, that's on top. The only pure DPS class left in the game, that should matter.

I'm gonna ride the wave though, I'll keep on trying to push the limits with it.

They stated the reason for the change was they wanted to remove clipping as it's effects were unintended [which is BS, why the hell else would the spec need a +30% alacrity bonus which is an insane amount of alacrity] despite the fact it had gone through three entire metas that way and they never said a word about clipping. There is no way they didn't know clipping was going on for 4 years. - Regardless, the reason being clipping was what was sited.

This is not entirely accurate, I'm pretty sure they tried to address it before. Remember the whole "Gore is on the global cooldown now" and how that went down :)

So how do they get rid of clipping effects? They leave the ability to clip exactly like always, you can still clip. Brilliant reasoning there. Not only do they leave clipping, they take an attack away from the non-berserk ferocity window even thought you didn't need to clip it in the first place.

3 instant attacks, a 3 second ferocity window. Even I can do that math and I'm a total moron.

Well considering the game has a global cooldow of 1.5s per ability it seems the intent was pretty clearly to be able to buff two attacks (remember the ability was made long before alacrity reduced the duration of the global cooldown). For better or worse the ability is probably closer to its original intent now, the only problem is it makes the spec lose any sort of urgency and momentum. You can just use a saber strike during your ferocity window since the stacks won't be consumed by it anyways which does kill the idea of the spec a bit.

As for all the alacrity well that's clearly a relic of the old Ravage as it was intended as a way to fit Ravage and another ability in a window, it was never intended to get a third attack in the ferocity window.

Hello? OOooo.....

Shyt...

*sitting in a lush corner. quietly smokes weed out of an expensive pipe. Stares at you waiting for you to notice his presence.

Nods at you without muttering a word, passes you the pipe*

[Carnage/Combat for life]

Edited by Bonzenaattori

This is not entirely accurate, I'm pretty sure they tried to address it before. Remember the whole "Gore is on the global cooldown now" and how that went down :)

Well considering the game has a global cooldow of 1.5s per ability it seems the intent was pretty clearly to be able to buff two attacks (remember the ability was made long before alacrity reduced the duration of the global cooldown). For better or worse the ability is probably closer to its original intent now, the only problem is it makes the spec lose any sort of urgency and momentum. You can just use a saber strike during your ferocity window since the stacks won't be consumed by it anyways which does kill the idea of the spec a bit.

As for all the alacrity well that's clearly a relic of the old Ravage as it was intended as a way to fit Ravage and another ability in a window, it was never intended to get a third attack in the ferocity window.

Well the first iteration of Combat/Carnage's Precision Slash/Gore was 6 seconds long, and the activation was a Global Cooldown.

Let me make two things clear

- Precision Slash out damaged Slash (Yes I'm referring to slash, NOT blade rush, even tho it stronger than both, but less damage than Lance, just to put it in your mind's eye)

- Master Strike was 3 seconds channel, which is essentially 2 GCDs, therefore whenever I refer to MS/Ravage, I'm automatically considering it being 2 GCDs

6 seconds while counting Precision Slashes actual cooldown, is 3 Global Cooldowns,

Considering the fact that Precision had a high value damage pool, suffice to say that corresponding attack is (not concrete on this) affected by it's own affect of 100% armor pen, prolly why it hit so hard.

Essentially, that's 4 GCDs, affected by 100% armor pen, not to mention Riposte/Retailiate existed for Sentinel which depending on focus levels, you could do some serious pain.

If you had the focus for it, (it was around 5 after precision), you could cram them all in, I usually popped pacify prior, to fish for that juicy Riposte.

Yeah that was the good stuff *puffs on expensive pipe*

gosh darn I miss 1.0

(I'm thinking of dropping to 9% alacrity post ataru form passive. But lazy + negative mentality, personally dont think its worth it, I don't see why I should adjust around unnecessary losses, but at the same time going past 12% alacrity is a waste of time unless you can acquire 0.2 second gcd reduction which is 14% if my maths isn't too awful)

Edited by Bonzenaattori

High alacrity brings about a dps loss for carnage. Even on a dummy.

I'm not suprised, although I would have thought alacrity in the 12-13% range might produce something of an evening effect on a dummy, but, my sorties on dummy parsing after the change were somewhat limited to the 'high alacrity build" that everyone is raving about. That one was a no brainer and the testing made that very obvious very quickly.

There are still some people insisting Carnage benefits from it, but any discussions I had with those people [people on my server who were commenting to me based on some of the posts] generally degraded rather quickly as they were of the notion that the post 5.6 Carnage is better than pre- 5.6 and any explanations regarding the "reliability" of the new carnage came at the cost of DPS seem to be lost on them. These were mostly PVPers though who don't really measure DPS the way it's accurately measured so they were probably working under some wrongful assumptions about calculating DPS in PVP. They wouldn't even acknwoledge that the spec sustained a DPS loss because the "reliability" evened it out compared to losses they would have otherwise sustained by missing attacks in the 3 second window prior to the change.

Obviously, you can't measure DPS based on assumed losses you may or may not have incured. Admittedly, there is no question that pre 5.6 Carnage was more risky, and losses could incure if optimal performance were inhibited [true of most specs, but what have you], but that was greatness of Carnage, high risk,high rewarded. You did it right, you got the numbers, you did it wrong, you lost some.

I'm not going to claim I was never missing an attack here and there in PVP due to stuns or what have you, but, I was maintaining enough sucesses that I was still getting more damage out than than I do now with it. As I stated earlier, I'm not suggesting that you cannot put up some nice numbers with it in PVP, merely, that on average I feel I would be putting up somewhat better numbers than I am presently.

Most of the Carnage Marauders I see running around [which is admittedly less than you use to see] seem to still be clinging to the high alacrity builds. I'm not exactly sure why, I'd imagine for some of them it is simply "that's what they are use to" and are more comfortable with it, and change is something people resist at times. I think some of the others are seeing all the posts and recommendations on fleet claiming the increased persormance gained by the high alacrity builds which can produce an added GCD, but not taking into account that assumes a reliable and steady amount of uptime for that to be achieved with any regularity and that's an extremely high stat cost for something that if you are not able to maintain the necessary uptime steadily is leading to a wasted stat pool investment. I can see it being more reliable for a ranged class, but for a melee class, especially in PVP where uptime of any significant amount is often spotty at best, I very seriously doubt many people are achieving the added GCDs with any regularity. That's assumption on my part of course, I don't play all the classes and specs, but I think the theory is sound and can be assumed in many cases to be applicable to many melee specs in PVP.

The DPS loss is admittedly more obvious in PVE [Raiding] where parsing is the rule and everyone sees what everyone's doing throughout the fights, but it would, imo, be foolish to assume that in PVP where the uptime factor is regularly interrupted almost to a rule, 18 seconds of uninterrupted rotation I don't think is a safe bet for that kind of stat investment for many melee specs, but, obviously I won't speak to that with any absurdness.

Most of my thoughts on the matter have been based on live action fighting, and the dummy parsing aspect was never something one put much faith in determining the effectiveness of a spec build in live action in close proximity to what the results would be if put next to each other. It seemed fairly obvious early on that the alacrity build was a DPS loss for carnage in live combat and I stuck with what was producing better numbers for me, which was a high power build. I wish that hadn't been the case because it makes the changes to the spec seem all the more pronounced [in feel and action].

How people choose to gear themselves is there business and I'm not inclined to try to "prove" to others how alacrity interacts with carnage now, if they say they do better with higher alacrity, well that's their business.

I would however be interested to learn how many of these people using the high alacrity build are actually checking to see how reliably the build is affording them the extra GCD. I personally only know of one person, who is one of the finest players I've ever known who has done so but he is of such a high level of skill that it would be hard to equate his success in doing so solely based on the stat spread. Additionally, he runs ranged which will often grant superior uptime in PVP [and in my opinion even in PVE at times in harder content]. But I would not put someone of his skill as representative of anything to a population census, much like another person who is this conversation presently =p

Performance issues aside, anyway you cut it, IMO, this isn't Carnage. Not that it really matters much considering 90% of the Marauders are running Fury now anyways. Go figure.

I'd love to know how you fairing. If you are so inclined, please feel free to send me a PM here, I'd be very interested to hear from you about it.

Ravage was made instant at the start of 5.0. That was almost a year ago now and the alacrity bonus stayed the same and that was long before they made the change to 5.6.

While many people did clip the 3rd attack into the non-beserk ferocity window, that was a precautionary measure, not a required one. Obviously higher amounts of alacrity would help to fit the third attack into said window without clipping a bit more reliably. Had they simply taken the ability to clip away, and not made it stack based, the playstyle of the spec would not have had to undergo such a big playstyle change because alacrity would have still remained highly valuable to the spec because it would still have been a tight fit to get all remaining attacks into the 3 seconds windows.

I don't mind, obviously, that you can't use assault or battering assault into the ferocity window now, you never would have wanted to have it in their in the first place, however, if for whatever reason that would have been your only option due to a mistake or a timing issue something was still better than nothing, and DST for AOEing in a Ferocity window being the only 30' attack the spec had, would have and had it's value at times.

The larger point being that because carnage had the potential to do some really great burst if the "risk" paid off, making mistakes that costing you because you didn't use an optimal attack in the ferocity window was the natural balancing effect that made that high burst potential not over the top. Mistakes will happen. Leaving the potential to screw up a window was part of the "high risk/ high reward" dynamic. Sure, it would have been better If only the optimal attacks would be registered in the window but than that would have made the spec far too strong.

With the introduction of 5.0, the spec did under go a significant change due to the introduction of a new attack [Gore] and the very high resource management demands it incurred. It made Carnage stronger, but, it also made it harder to play because the resource management was very tight that introduced a new "risk" into the spec that could mess you up. Which was exactly how it should have been, they did right there, one mistake, and you just messed up a window for lack of resources. It was doable of course, but I don't know any carnage marauder that didn't have some issues with that and that it never messed them up from time to time at least. Different levels of skill of course would effect the preponderance of such occurrences of course.

With this change to carnage, now you have to choose which of the "standard" optimal attacks your not going to put into the non- beserk window as you were never putting DST into the non-beserk window anyway. Now, you have to leave one of those three attacks out of it which is what caused the signifcant DPS loss to the 5.6 changes. Naturally of course that makes the resource issues less extreme as well. But, I'd rather be challanged than have my damage culled in a manner there is nothing I can do about. Even if the potential for a mistake was there, at the same time there was the potential for more damage. Now it is like you are missing that third attack into the non-beserk window every single time no matter what. You are locked into mediocrity.

Reliability at the cost of significant damage is not a boon. I never felt that it was unfair that so many things could potentially make me miss an attack and cause a DPS loss, and of course it happened sometimes, but more often it didn't and that potential reward made it all worth it.

Now Carnage is a burst spec when it used to be the "quasi-burst spec" [you were able to still find references from BW on the forums using that terminology even after 5.0], and even still it being outbursted by Fury and Anni, the sustained spec can can drop 30k annihilates which by any defintiion is a burst attack, but we lost our dot on ravage too, and they gave that to Fury as well.

They took from Carnage and gave to Fury. I'm glad Fury got a buff, it needed it and it deserved it, but Carnage didn't deserve what it got.

But hey, I'm the idiot still using it hehe so that's on me. I'm not jumping ship and I'm still beating Fury Marauders for Damage in PVP a good amount of the time, but that's not a spec issue that's a player one. On even ground, Fury does notably more damage. It's not even close. Carnage is capping at 10.2k [ my high had been about 10.7 prior] and Fury is is capping 10.8k and so is Anni [1.5 and 2.5]. Fury has anti cc passives, can leap to snipers, has a second leap, more mobility and can't run out of rage, and Anni has group heals.

But that's the deal. I'll be Carnage til I'm dead heh. Just makes the challenge to do well with it all the greater and when you can beat the others numbers at times, that's a good feeling and you know you earned it.

You never know your strengths until your tested.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Here's what happened... back in 2.0 some dev got rekt repeatedly by one or more Carnage marauders. It got so bad that the scream haunted him at night. vmm vmm vmm RAHH!! This dev, unable to L2P or heal to full and make them pay, weaseled his way onto the Combat Team and began systematically dismantling Carnage. Years later.. Carnage has no scream, is no longer really Carnage, and is heartbreaking to play. GG #Carnage4Life

I love you, and I miss you, huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I really, I really want you to come back

huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I feel like a clown playing Fury and Anni isn't my thing. The feel of carnage was a brilliant thing. Every ferocity window was rewarding and now it's dead and gone. The last bastion of skill and satisfaction.

I love all of you who enjoyed this spec and I hope we will see better days and amen to your wall of text WayOfTheWarriorx.

Edited by DarthYun

Try this in pvp(very situational of course) :

Mid fight and if you know you won't be attacking anyone for the next 4-5 seconds pre-cast ferocity. When you have just below 6 seconds before ferocity cooldown refreshes do this rotation: DST - Battering assault - berserk - gore - ravage - massacre - ferocity - VT - DB - massacre.

You're welcome :D

Edited by giorgo

Try this in pvp(very situational of course) :

Mid fight and if you know you won't be attacking anyone for the next 4-5 seconds pre-cast ferocity. When you have just below 6 seconds before ferocity cooldown refreshes do this rotation: DST - Battering assault - berserk - gore - ravage - massacre - ferocity - VT - DB - massacre.

You're welcome :D

I'd rather just do two Zens back to back

stalling a ferocity window is pointless unless your opponent either has sustain or hasn't figured out how to win a 1v1 with a training dummy yet

Edited by Bonzenaattori

I'd rather just do two Zens back to back

stalling a ferocity window is pointless unless your opponent either has sustain or hasn't figured out how to win a 1v1 with a training dummy yet

But you are not stalling a ferocity window if you are not attacking anyone for the next few seconds anyway for various reasons (ex. switching sides in voidstar or going back to mid in civil war). I think you didn't read my post carefully.

Besides that, sometimes it's beneficial to seat on your stacks in order to counter a powerfull dcd.

Hello? OOooo.....

Shyt...

I still play carnage despite I really hate when they did to it, the last change

For anyone new to mara in PvP (or PvE) wondering what the new rotation is after the carnage nerf, it is: carnage into anni or fury. :)

I hope this simple guide helps you!

Let me correct you its Carnage has the best burst out of all three

I hope you can achieve success with this

• 2 weeks later...

So, in light of the GCD/Alacrity interactions that have been hotly debated, and considering some of my own characters, I wanted to ask, what exactly constitutes a high alacrity build?

Like, the alacrity targets in Bant's model, which would be around 1482 in tier 4 rating 248 gear? For an alacrity % of 16.11% on the character sheet, and 46.11% during the berserk window which is still a 1.1s GCD?

Or, is it higher, like around 2159 which would give 20% alacrity on the character sheet and reach 50% during berserk for a 1s GCD? I mean, on paper it seems like it would be valid, and when you look Veelox's top carnage/combat parse from last week on the 2.5 mil dummy, the APM is around 60, which would seem to imply that player has high alacrity.

Or more like 1375 Alacrity Rating for a 15.39% on the character sheet and a 1.3s GCD, just like Arsenal Mercs?

Here's what happened... back in 2.0 some dev got rekt repeatedly by one or more Carnage marauders. It got so bad that the scream haunted him at night. vmm vmm vmm RAHH!! This dev, unable to L2P or heal to full and make them pay, weaseled his way onto the Combat Team and began systematically dismantling Carnage. Years later.. Carnage has no scream, is no longer really Carnage, and is heartbreaking to play. GG #Carnage4Life

I read this and started laughing, pretty great.

• 1 month later...

Also i can understand why mentioned all the things you mentioned, i disagree with you about you cant play it in raids you can still play carnage or combat in raids and you certainly are not behind far any dot classes sure you dont drive all the dot classes against the wall with you high dps but seriously isnt it a bit off the charts if the burst dps deals more dmg than the dot dps. Imao it is. Tho still Carnage can compete with almost every class in raid and perform quiet nicely compared with other classes, other specs.

That is all i wanted to say to your post. have a good day. cheers

Hey there i use 1449 alacrity and it suits well for me but i suggest if you dont have by now. try different points in alacrity out and take the one who suits fine for ya . ;)

I run about the same alacrity (1480-ish, I think) and it indeed works very well.

P.S. Tried your setup, with your alacrity you have 10.4s CD on battering assault and with mine I have 10.3s CD. It's a little difference but I find the flow of my rotation a bit better. You need to go for 730 accuracy with mine though. It's a really small chance of missing and I miss just about one attack in like 5 ops fights, so it doesn't matter. And with new augments coming with 5.9 my setup will most likely be the most optimal for accuracy, actually.

Edited by Equeliber