Jedis should have started as kids in SWTOR .. read

Iamkills

If Jedi's would have started as kids from level 1 through 3 or 1 through 2 it would have made you more closer to your master Orgus Din, but instead it seems that you get assigned to din when your like 20 and they just brush up saying your previous masters said you were a great jedi .

if they would of done a different scenario like this " the young Jedi (Player) and Master Orgus Din are training in the Jedi Temple on coruscant with and Orgus din has brown hair instead of grey and you do something impressive like a force push or beat him in a duel"

i think a little interaction early on would have made for a more promising story cause right now i dont really care what happens to Orgus Din because he took me as a padawan so late in life. I Hope they can fit something like this in in Xpacs like if you have a son or daughter with a companion and interact with them.

All im saying is i think they missed a opportunity to step it up a notch emotionally in this game and it sucks , i hope my suggestions make sense , thanks for reading.

Edited by Iamkills

Well I think it would have been very cool to start as a kid in SWTOR:)

It woul absolutely have made sense, you would have a stronger relationship to Orgus Din if you had

trained with him as a child.

But overall I'm not complaining about this. SWTOR is my dream as a Star Wars fan come true:)

when you start in SWTOR its implied that you've been training for years and years and you just came to tython to complete your final trials to advance past padawan status. which works for MANY reasons.

- it allows freedom of character past for each player to create a small backstory as how and why they were trained by the jedi. how they were discovered and when.

- it starts the player off old enough that they feel in control of their character and not handicapped by the fact that they are a child.

- the player, character and situations can start off as more mature and serious, where if they started as a child it'd feel necessary to add in lighthearted silly humor.

- it skips the unnecessary parts of the jedi training. this isn't the start of the jedi's training, its the start of their story arch. allowing for you to start doing important things out of the gate.

- it allows for them to show your character as the lore-wise ****** that he/she is. rather than a new student who doesnt understand anything.

- players can get more into character when playing a character their age or at least an adult. playing as a child feels awkward for most adults.

- forces awkward time skips from childhood training to adulthood, why? it doesnt help the story at all. it just forces back story on players who'd rather have an open backstory for their own headcanon.

- even if this was a good idea, which its not. why just jedi? sith are often trained from childhood as well. so why not start a sith off as a child? cus you'd end up killing other children most likely? too dark? seems like a double standard to me.

- it would slow down pacing, opening as a child, doing some goofy training sequences, then jumping ahead to adulthood to finish your trials. seems really poorly paced and forced.

in short i completely disagree.

when you start in SWTOR its implied that you've been training for years and years and you just came to tython to complete your final trials to advance past padawan status. which works for MANY reasons.

- it allows freedom of character past for each player to create a small backstory as how and why they were trained by the jedi. how they were discovered and when.

- it starts the player off old enough that they feel in control of their character and not handicapped by the fact that they are a child.

- the player, character and situations can start off as more mature and serious, where if they started as a child it'd feel necessary to add in lighthearted silly humor.

- it skips the unnecessary parts of the jedi training. this isn't the start of the jedi's training, its the start of their story arch. allowing for you to start doing important things out of the gate.

- it allows for them to show your character as the lore-wise ****** that he/she is. rather than a new student who doesnt understand anything.

- players can get more into character when playing a character their age or at least an adult. playing as a child feels awkward for most adults.

- forces awkward time skips from childhood training to adulthood, why? it doesnt help the story at all. it just forces back story on players who'd rather have an open backstory for their own headcanon.

- even if this was a good idea, which its not. why just jedi? sith are often trained from childhood as well. so why not start a sith off as a child? cus you'd end up killing other children most likely? too dark? seems like a double standard to me.

- it would slow down pacing, opening as a child, doing some goofy training sequences, then jumping ahead to adulthood to finish your trials. seems really poorly paced and forced.

Quoted for truth, this exactly sums up my feelings.

yeah the reason i picked jedi was cause your suppose to feel close to orgus din and i really dont and feel i could of been just fine without him and all the backstory you get as your character is you've done awesome in training as as child i just wished we could of seen what makes my character so unique , instead of being told like in KOTOR 1 where they showed that training montage. something like that

Why should I feel close to Orgus Din? He took us as a padawan sure, but just like the other classes you are thrust into your destiny with minimal training (Because that would be very boring and lack gameplay appeal). I think you are trying to find a master/padawan relationship in him when you aren't supposed to, its supposed to show your maturity by being thrust into the spotlight as your own Jedi.

The real master/padawan comes from Kira Carsen/Nadia Grell interaction.

Why should I feel close to Orgus Din? He took us as a padawan sure, but just like the other classes you are thrust into your destiny with minimal training (Because that would be very boring and lack gameplay appeal). I think you are trying to find a master/padawan relationship in him when you aren't supposed to, its supposed to show your maturity by being thrust into the spotlight as your own Jedi.

The real master/padawan comes from Kira Carsen/Nadia Grell interaction.

oh im only level 11 thats why so i get kira as a padawan i guess that makes it alot better

The real master/padawan comes from...

Spoilers please!

What is it with people wishing to ruin even the smallest parts of the surprise? Playing my Inquisitor the number of comments regarding Khem have completely ruined the story. I can easily guess what's about to happen to whom and why it will happen and my inquisitor is only level 20 now.

You and those NPCs being master/padawan is mild in terms of spoiling the story BUT it is something that is a key part of the story, as such I am sad to see it spoiled for others.

Edited by Bhaers

Spoilers please!

What is it with people wishing to ruin even the smallest parts of the surprise? Playing my Inquisitor the number of comments regarding Khem have completely ruined the story. I can easily guess what's about to happen to whom and why it will happen and my inquisitor is only level 20 now.

You and those NPCs being master/padawan is mild in terms of spoiling the story BUT it is something that is a key part of the story, as such I am sad to see it spoiled for others.

You can look up their names and profiles on this website, there were no spoilers. The actual content of that relationship, how it comes to fruition, what happens between you, all of that is for people to discover.

I'm not a fan of people who think of themselves as spoiler police, you can really blur the lines and lash out to the littlest things.

this would be complete nonsense ...

the idea of jedis starting there training as childs

is absurd ... it would be clearly against the idea

of the order to force children under the rules of a jedis live

so just because George needed some adorable childs

wielding lightswords in the movies to sell more toys he

ruined the whole idea of the jedi order ... making yoda

train all thise childs ruines his status as a master

like introduced in the old movies completly ...

in the game only sith are sending there childs to the academy,

to become a jedi is never a process forced upon you by others

Perhaps they should redo character creation so it is more like Fallout 3's beginning.

First off, you are born. You get to choose your sex (and race in TOR).

Skip to a few years later, you are in school at a fairly young age. You take some test that points you in the direction of your career/class.

A few more years on from that, you have a few tutorial missions to help get used to how MMOs work (in case you are new to the genre) - combat, interacting with objects/people, etc. This is where you get to create what your character looks like as an adult.

"Graduation". Troopers receive their mail inviting them to join Havoc Squad. Jedi/Sith receive notification of their upcoming trip to Korriban/Tython. Bounty Hunters receive their mail inviting them to take part in the Great Hunt. And so on.

Game starts where it does at the moment.

In that case, so sould Warriors.

And what about Inquisitors? They can start as little tea-serving slaves, then get discovered, trained, etc.

"Graduation". Troopers receive their mail inviting them to join Havoc Squad. Jedi/Sith receive notification of their upcoming trip to Korriban/Tython. Bounty Hunters receive their mail inviting them to take part in the Great Hunt. And so on

Yeah, via owl :)

Edited by Mechavomit

I'll you why this is not a good idea - because if you do it for one you have to do it for all; BW would have to come up with childhood cut scenes for each class. Why? because players love to complain about EVERYTHING, even when there is little or no reason to. If you gave jedi a childhood scene, then sith would demand it too (as they are both trained from childhood). But then all the players of BH, IA, Sm, and troop would get all bent of of shape because their characters did not get a childhood scene.

Further I agree with with was said above in that having a childhood scene or quest chain would reduce the effect of "head canon". With this in mind, a cut scene would not do, it would have to be a quest line (albeit a short one) because of "future" LS/DS choices - a cut scene of a jedi would most likely be pure LS, but what if the player wants to role play a DS jedi?

The solution is to allow the players to use their imagination. Let them come up with a background that drives their characters to make the choices they make.

My Bounty Hunter childhood will be very different than my girlfriends Bounty Hunter Childhood... See where I'm going with this?

It's already bad enough that my JK was supposedly trained at the Academy... why couldn't I be trained by a rogue Jedi? Why did my Inquisitor have to be a slave? See where I'm going with this?

It is fine as it is. Your childhood is not relevant for the story to unfold.

This. In my case being a child would have not fit my backstory I already had prior to SWTOR.

Why should I feel close to Orgus Din?

Major end of chapter spoilers.

On Alderaan/at the end of Chapter 1, Orgus Din dies. It's clear you're supposed to care, and the JK's dialogue implies that Master Orgus was very important to him/her.

Major end of chapter spoilers.

On Alderaan/at the end of Chapter 1, Orgus Din dies. It's clear you're supposed to care, and the JK's dialogue implies that Master Orgus was very important to him/her.

I've played through it and I know they forced that on us. We weren't with Orgus Din long enough to have any real reason to care, we became actual Jedi on the Starter planet meaning we weren't even Master/padawan for that long. The only reason I could see having strong feelings about it is because he was the one that offered to train you, without knowing anything about you.

but what if i dont want to create a backstory i have no idea where my character came from what planet he was born on what my old masters names were .

i dont understand i dont think they''re would be any differance would if i picked a old man character would i have to be old and sluggish why couldnt i flourish in the force at a young age .

i've seen alot of movies with children in them , the exorcist has a child in it is that a kids movie ? or forrest gump?

see the important things is how your character starts and we dont get to see that which sucks id understand the shooter classes start as adults but the Sith Warrior and Jedi knight should have had a montage of when they were younger

but the Jedi knight was the top of its class it wasent a dummy and it would be cool of learning the force at a younger age

why would it feel awkward ? it would only be for 3 levels not like spending the whole game as one , insecure?

dont play games or watch movies to make up my own story if i did id do it thats why i pay bioware to make one for me , and they skipped a big part of the story in a Story driven MMO

it would work as both Sith warrior and jedi knights id prefer if sith warriors could too.

right now the game seems poorly paced when they just plop you at the end and you dont know how they got there this game is lacking the small details that makes games great.

and you knocked it yourself then jumping ahead to adulthood which they already did....

but what if i dont want to create a backstory i have no idea where my character came from what planet he was born on what my old masters names were .

A lot of people create their own backstory and there is no way bioware if they had made it where the Jedi started as a child could take everyone's story into consideration. Example: My Shadow was born in Corellia. She has a sith brother whom she recently found out about.

i dont understand i dont think they''re would be any differance would if i picked a old man character would i have to be old and sluggish why couldnt i flourish in the force at a young age .

A child is subject to more rules and regulations than an adult. Think back to when you were a child you had to have perrmissioin to do almost anything. The same applies to a child that is a jedi. An adult has more freedom.

i've seen alot of movies with children in them , the exorcist has a child in it is that a kids movie ? or forrest gump?

That may be so but for the most part a child is still restrictive to certain behaviors where an adult has more freedom on what they want to dol

see the important things is how your character starts and we dont get to see that which sucks id understand the shooter classes start as adults but the Sith Warrior and Jedi knight should have had a montage of when they were younger

How is being a child in the order really that important? It really isn't. If you will look at the Attack of The Clones they had one scene and that was lifting some ball around with the force. The important aspects of a Jedi is what they do after they pass their trials not as a child .

but the Jedi knight was the top of its class it wasent a dummy and it would be cool of learning the force at a younger age

why would it feel awkward ? it would only be for 3 levels not like spending the whole game as one , insecure?

Not insecure more common sense. Most people that play the game are adults and really do not want to expereince their childhood and the restrictions placed on them. It is easier and more realistic for an adult to play an adult and not a child.

dont play games or watch movies to make up my own story if i did id do it thats why i pay bioware to make one for me , and they skipped a big part of the story in a Story driven MMO

Well again you are trying to make it where bioware makes a backstory for everyone and unlike you a lot of us love using our imaginations and making up our own backstories. I don't need bioware to make my backstory for me. I am fully capable of using my imagination to do that myself. I already had a backstory prior to the game being released and so did a lot of people.

Just becasue you don't want to that your choice but to have bioware do that for everyone is taking away our freedom to create different backstories and stories for our characters.

it would work as both Sith warrior and jedi knights id prefer if sith warriors could too.

What about smugglers, bounty hunters, imperial agents, troopers. Why are you leaving them out. To do it for one or two classes you have to do it for all classes to be fair. You can not do it just for one or two classes, that is wrong.

right now the game seems poorly paced when they just plop you at the end and you dont know how they got there this game is lacking the small details that makes games great.

I know exactly how my character got where she is. I don't need bioware informing me how I got to where I am.. I do that myself and so does a lot of people. So in this sense it is not lacking , it is giving people individual freedom to create their own characters the way they see them.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Both factions are tooling up for the inevetable war to come. Empire are even bringing in force-sensivite slaves and allowing aliens (though with much protest from many). You would think that the jedi are also recruiting what they can and training them as best they can because of the war.