Honour in Play

MattChannell

Hi all - I just wanted to pose a question to you all as a new player. Example - you are engaged in a hard fight to gain a chest and some other player just whips round and takes it; is that all far in MMO and War of low behaviour. I thought the latter but when I whispered a complaint I was told welcome to the world of MMO. I find this frustrating and it made me angry but am I just pushing against the prevailing wind? What advise and thoughts do you have

Douches, douches everywhere, thousands of them... unfortunately. On the other hand there are some really nice players that will not only not take what you are fighting to get but will help you and buff you just because we are that nice.

Just like in real world, one person will find a wallet, take money and throw it away, other will check if he can use the credit cards too, and the third one will check the information in it and return it to the owner not wanting any reward.

Unfortunately it happens a fair bit. The work around seems to be to hit the chest first, and hope you don't get slaughtered while opening it.

Yes, this would be my best advise as well. To take it further, manually send your companion in first, to distract the npcs, then you grab the chest. Helps if your companion is a tank, but it pretty much works with any of them. This is also a must for objectives as well. Destroy/slice/interact with X number of "whatevers".

Being new to the mmo scene, I too had to learn this the hard way.

Oh, and if you're ever fighting an elite and have total control of the fight (IE feels like an 'easy' fight) don't ever accept a group invite while you're in the middle of it. 9 times out of 10 they want you to do the heavy lifting and they will just 'need' on the drop then leave the group, and you, high and dry.

Edited by Ridickilis

Unfortunately it happens a fair bit. The work around seems to be to hit the chest first, and hope you don't get slaughtered while opening it.

I always do this now, to stop this problem. Happens far too many times, even with other stuff such as scavenges and quest items.

If you can grab chest loot before fighting do. Never know when a loot ninja douche is around.

A few weeks ago I saw a solo player getting trashed by a champ. NPC guarding a big chest. His pet died and he ran out of combat range. I offered to heal him for a 2nd round, he beat it, and I told him to keep all the loot.

Right after I fought an elite guarding a small chest. Just about done when another Op. unstealthed and ninja'd it. The timing irony was hilarious.

Aw, Joe, that sucks.

Even though I still hold firm to my first post that you should be leery about trusting anyone, I still go out of my way to help when I can. I had a similar instance as you described, guy was losing badly to an elite. I was patiently waiting my turn to spawn the same elite so I was just watching him (general common courtesy rule is you don't spawn elites while another player is already engaged). His companion dies and he was on his last 1/4 of health. So I decided to start healing him. He lived and whispered a "thx". I felt pretty good for those short moments.

If there is someone fighting a mob around two or three objectives that you need, stand there and watch or go to the other side of the room to get objectives. Sometimes they may not be on the same planet quest you are and they don't need those objectives but it's still best to wait until they pass on them. Other times that same d00d will reciprocate, meaning he won't ninja objectives that were around me while I was tied up. So it's not all bad, it's just the d-bags seem to stick out more.

Edited by Ridickilis

Aw, Joe, that sucks.

Even though I still hold firm to my first post that you should be leery about trusting anyone, I still go out of my way to help when I can. I had a similar instance as you described, guy was losing badly to an elite. I was patiently waiting my turn to spawn the same elite so I was just watching him (general common courtesy rule is you don't spawn elites while another player is already engaged). His companion dies and he was on his last 1/4 of health. So I decided to start healing him. He lived and whispered a "thx". I felt pretty good for those short moments.

If there is someone fighting a mob around two or three objectives that you need, stand there and watch or go to the other side of the room to get objectives. Sometimes they may not be on the same planet quest you are and they don't need those objectives but it's still best to wait until they pass on them. Other times that same d00d will reciprocate, meaning he won't ninja objectives that were around me while I was tied up. So it's not all bad, it's just the d-bags seem to stick out more.

This has been my general rule as well. Just stand back and wait, if help looks like it's needed, do so. Usually that same person will help you out in return. I helped a group on kaas once that was having trouble with a boss, I had my upper lvl sniper, we killed her quick. They offered to compensate me, and I told them don't worry about it. Hopefully they will carry that forward, but it was just good gaming, imo.

I'm trying to avoid such douche moves but I have accidently done it a few times. Had some incident where I thought that another player simply happened to fight some enemies near a mats node, so I grabbed the node. Got a whisper about that afterwards.

I've also managed to grab an objective from someone in one of the daily areas. The thing is that I waited a good 5 seconds (that's pretyt long when you just stand there and the guy had alreayd killed the mob) and when the player didnt grab it I decided to do so. I assuméd that since he didnt grab it he hadnt reached that stage on the mission yet. Got an angry whisper about it afterwards, the guy had apparently been waiting for his friend. What kind of excuse is that? Since when is it ok to call dibs on objectives for friends? Had I known that I wouldnt have waited those 5 secs, I would have instantly grabbed it infront of his eyes.

I'm never grabbing chests if someone els is closer to it. That's the ype of thing that everyone can grab so there's no reason to even considered the possibility that they're not going to get it. That said, it has happened that players havent grabbed them.

Edited by Washingtoon

The type of thing described here about chests is a common courtesy thing, it's not required. If someone sees a bag of money on the ground in real life, someone else can easily run up and grab it, not caring that the other guy saw it first. Or, the guy could be nice and congratulate him. It's not actually breaking any of the game rules.

The post above mine is a good example of how people take the concept of good MMO manners and try to twist and manipulate them to their own advantage. His friend wasnt around so everyone is supposed to wait? Ridiculous.

There was something that happened to me when I first started playing. I was trying to do a Heroic 4 on Balmorra; the only objective was to loot a piece of machinery. I advertized for a while in general chat, but no one wanted to help. I tried doing the mission alone, and got pretty far - all the way up to the objective, which was of course guarded by quite a few enemies. Then I saw a group of 3 players in a guild heading my way. I asked if I could join them, and they ignored me. I whispered one of them, and he also ignored me. So, I lurked around until they engaged combat with the enemy group, and then I looted the objective. It respawned after about 20 seconds, but those 20 seconds were apparently enough to propel the guild out of their silence and into a rage.

The group went on the General chat saying that I was a ninja, a coward, and someone with "horrible MMO etiquette". Even after I told my side of the story, everyone seemed to agree that I was the bad guy that should leave the server. I didn't hurt anyone and only cost them 20 seconds of downtime, and they had every opportunity to invite me to their group - they had the room.

So, the point is, don't get overzealous about this sort of thing, and remember that not every case is black and white. Even a loot ninja might have a reason for stealing a chest...or more likely, he just doesn't care, but you never know.

Edited by Darkness_Squall

The group went on the General chat saying that I was a ninja, a coward, and someone with "horrible MMO etiquette". Even after I told my side of the story, everyone seemed to agree that I was the bad guy that should leave the server. I didn't hurt anyone and only cost them 20 seconds of downtime, and they had every opportunity to invite me to their group - they had the room.

So, the point is, don't get overzealous about this sort of thing, and remember that not every case is black and white. Even a loot ninja might have a reason for stealing a chest...or more likely, he just doesn't care, but you never know.

Sucks when people take things to General chat. Shortly after dinging 50 on my first char I decided to join some random guild through an operation. I can't remember what it was at the moment, on behalf of it being almost a year ago, but something wen't wrong, the leader had very little tolerance for wipes and I was blamed. The rest of the guild was as unware as I of what had really caused the wipe so they believed him. I left or got kicked and as they are LFG'ing for a replacement they're adding some crap about how I made them wipe etc.. Not really a label you want when you've just dinged 50 and is looking for people to play end-game with.

Washingtoon, I'm with you in that instance, There is no 'dibs on objectives' or saving it for you buddy. I always treat objectives as a line in a store, not as money laying on the street, it's first come first serve. That guy you described was the cell phone d-bag whose turn it was to be waited on but he was going to hold up the line/not ask the clerk what he wanted until his conversation was over. That's a " **** or get off the pot" scenario right there.

As for Darkness_Squall on a Balmoora H4, I can see both sides of that one. Based on what you posted, you did hide in stealth, waited until they engaged and ninja'ed the loot. On the other hand, those guildies must have noticed that someone else opened up a giant path of slain npc's on their trek to that piece of machinery, not to mention your repeated attempts at trying to share the loot/quest. I can understand them being a little pissy but blasting you/calling you out in general chat seems extreme as well.

Edited by Ridickilis

I has an assassin use force speed last night to get to a quest objective before I could finish off the elite guarding it. Just as I finished a second toon came and stood right next to it, clearly intending to take it as soon as it respawned. Thankfully I was quicker to nab it, but that assassin must have used speed to beat both me and the other guy. It was also an annoying objective which had a good 5 minute respawn time.

I can safely speak for the rest of my guild.

If I accidently Ninja someone I will stick around for a respawn.

Help is always within line of site.

Random buffs and heals are kind of fun, and most players will thank you.

One time two players were Ninja'ing me on a daily and then taunting me.

I ended up leaving and ignoring the two children.

The two names were given to all to put on their ignore list.

Yes, this would be my best advise as well. To take it further, manually send your companion in first, to distract the npcs, then you grab the chest. Helps if your companion is a tank, but it pretty much works with any of them. This is also a must for objectives as well. Destroy/slice/interact with X number of "whatevers".

Being new to the mmo scene, I too had to learn this the hard way.

Oh, and if you're ever fighting an elite and have total control of the fight (IE feels like an 'easy' fight) don't ever accept a group invite while you're in the middle of it. 9 times out of 10 they want you to do the heavy lifting and they will just 'need' on the drop then leave the group, and you, high and dry.

This. Why are people so rude and overall douches in this game? Happened to me on Hutta and dude needed on an item I could have used.

Same thing happens when farming mats. If you have a CC...use it.

I can safely speak for the rest of my guild.

If I accidently Ninja someone I will stick around for a respawn.

Help is always within line of site.

Random buffs and heals are kind of fun, and most players will thank you.

One time two players were Ninja'ing me on a daily and then taunting me.

I ended up leaving and ignoring the two children.

The two names were given to all to put on their ignore list.

I challenge people to duels on a regular basis because of this type of behavior lol.

This. Why are people so rude and overall douches in this game? Happened to me on Hutta and dude needed on an item I could have used.

Same thing happens when farming mats. If you have a CC...use it.

This has been happening in MMOs since day one; it is NOT limited to this game. It is called "internet anonymity." Individuals think that because they are acting behind the guise of an "avatar" they can do and say whatever they want. Another issue is that while players affected by their bad behavior can report them, there is nothing that CS can really do to resolve the issue:

- if it is a respawning quest objective a CS rep cannot respond in a timely fashion anyway; the object respawns in a time frame FAR shorter than a CS rep can get to your ticket.

- if it is a loot chest or a gathering crew skill node a CS rep cannot track what was looted and give it to you; you do not know what was in fact in the box or node to begin with so there is no way for a CS rep to determine what in the offenders inventory came from that box/node. This is further complicated by the fact that most of it is probably sold to a vendor or on the GTM or used in crafting.

The end result is that 99.999999% of players affected by these jerks do nothing. And this lack of response to bad behavior only emboldens the jerks more.

It sucks, but this behavior will go on so long as the person behind the keyboard remains anonymous.

The end result is that 99.999999% of players affected by these jerks do nothing. And this lack of response to bad behavior only emboldens the jerks more.

It sucks, but this behavior will go on so long as the person behind the keyboard remains anonymous.

Well, I'm one of those quiet types that won't complain or even whisper to them how I felt about their behavior but I do believe what goes around comes around.

From my own non scientific observations there are two types of people that ninja loot.

The first group you won't get much satisfaction from, they are most likely mmo veterans and probably way more skilled than you or I. They could easily clear all the content but they are 'speed rushing' through it trying to grind something in the least amount of time. It doesn't make it right but they are out there. The best you can hope for is you're on a pvp server, you see them get ganked and you don't help them. That's what I call just deserts. It's even better if they are wearing their legacy name. So if I run into any of their alts, same rules will apply. :D

The other type of ninja are the terrible players. You've seen them; thier companion dies in seconds, they die a few seconds later, they can't complete anything and end up skipping loads of content as a result. Their only way of completing objectives is to ninja them from others. These people I almost feel bad for. If they would just ask in general chat or whisper someone, they'll probably get the help and advise they need.

Edited by Ridickilis

This has been happening in MMOs since day one; it is NOT limited to this game. It is called "internet anonymity." Individuals think that because they are acting behind the guise of an "avatar" they can do and say whatever they want. Another issue is that while players affected by their bad behavior can report them, there is nothing that CS can really do to resolve the issue:

- if it is a respawning quest objective a CS rep cannot respond in a timely fashion anyway; the object respawns in a time frame FAR shorter than a CS rep can get to your ticket.

- if it is a loot chest or a gathering crew skill node a CS rep cannot track what was looted and give it to you; you do not know what was in fact in the box or node to begin with so there is no way for a CS rep to determine what in the offenders inventory came from that box/node. This is further complicated by the fact that most of it is probably sold to a vendor or on the GTM or used in crafting.

I always put them on blast in general chat. Also, I will challenge them to a duel. Not that I can defeat everyone with my toon but my hope is that they see that I found their behavior offensive and rude. Of course I wind up either dueling or getting rejections from lots of people lol

Oh yeah, one more note to my last post...

Any chest/node/quest object is strictly speaking not "yours" until you actually gather it. This is an indisputable fact. Again it sucks but it's the truth. You fighting mobs around a chest/node/quest object does not always mean you are after that object. Nice people (like myself) wait until you are done killing and see what you do next. And in all candor, I typically only give players to a count of three before I go for the object.