Trouble with lore

Xilax

So after some discussions about if Rakghouls are Zombies or not ive stumbled upon a little problem.

As everyone else im an old roleplayer sprung from pens and dices type of games and onward trought the online gaming history and I have always found a joy in carving out my characters story with a solid base in the games lore. However, in this game I have found it close to impossible to do so since there are pretty much no limitations to the lore.

If this game had been Star Wars (movie referense here) only, it would have been one thing, but its "quasi Star Wars" with endless of different universes that differs from eachothers and doesnt match. There are novels, radio shows, the original films, fan based stuff and other various sources of "valid" lore. This boils down to that pretty much anything goes. If i wanted to I could create a mix Jedi-vampire-werewolf-droid and basicly say that its presense in the world has been hidden from a time long before this galaxy ever was created. No one would be able to tell different!

To me this is a bit of a problem - for some amazing rp possibilities, now what do you think? How do you handle this stuff?

I try to take the lore of the place I am in as the valid lore.

the first play through I dont think I ever get it "right"

I have to see the world, see what is viable and so on.

Then I can write my character into the world.

So you can see some rakgouhls and create a character who has a long family history of hunting them down. Or a one who's family took the task of hunting down the biggest game in the universe and thus hunts every World boss down.

A character who wanted to build a better protocol droid and so to research he joins the Republic fleet so he can see all the speeder points around the galaxy and study the droids that run them.

Being that this game takes place before the movies, using the stuff you find in the world is the only way for things to mesh and stay in synch.

I try to take the lore of the place I am in as the valid lore.

the first play through I dont think I ever get it "right"

I have to see the world, see what is viable and so on.

Then I can write my character into the world.

So you can see some rakgouhls and create a character who has a long family history of hunting them down. Or a one who's family took the task of hunting down the biggest game in the universe and thus hunts every World boss down.

A character who wanted to build a better protocol droid and so to research he joins the Republic fleet so he can see all the speeder points around the galaxy and study the droids that run them.

Being that this game takes place before the movies, using the stuff you find in the world is the only way for things to mesh and stay in synch.

Yeah thats been sort of the thing ive been doing this long and now decided to give it a go and make something deeper for the characters i play, only to find that there are different views on what "lore" is the valid one. We all have our own relationship with Star Wars, i have only seen the films and this is the first game i played titled Star Wars when im kind of a puritist about what is original lore and quasi lore.

But i can coup with your view on it, its easy going. Thank you for the reply =)

Yup, been there, and there is where the trouble starts... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

Wookieepedia is still a good source of lore without having to read all the books, comics etc.

A lot of the articles, if there is a bit if information that isn't cannonized, they'll label it, so you can just ignore those.

For example, there was a short story in Star Wars Tales the comic, in which a very young Han Solo gets caught between Jedi hunters and Jedi Master QuinLan Vos between the time of Episodes 3 and 4. As awesome as it sounds, its not canon.

There are hundreds of articles on that site that have stories, lores and information that stem from the novels and comics that won't interfere with the movies themselves, so its still a lot of material to work with.

Hope that helps with your RPing needs.