Jedi Guardian or Jedi Shadow?

Shotgonius

Great question. I've played the Shadow through the entire story line to 50 and found it fantastic. The voice acting fits, the story kept my attention most of the time, and the companions, although I thought some of them to be unfitting for a Jedi consular (giant lizard who wants to wear people's flesh as clothing, a scientist who looks down on mention and promotion of the force, and somewhat of an assassin who holds grudges), were not annoying most of the time, and some I really liked. I found it easy to flow through the game, though some parts around level 37 and 44 (consulars will know what I mean) were rediculously difficult.

Most people will say the Knight is by all means better than the consular, but I stand by my opinion.

You could also think about whether you want heavy armor or light, single bladed saber or double, a padawan who acts rebellious and rough at times or one who is sweet but forces you into sexytimes if you're not a jerk to her, ect.

The role you want to play is important, too. If you want to tank, I'd suggest Guardian due to the heavy armor and up close and personal way of fighting. I've found a good set of combos the shadow could use for nice damage output. I've never played a tank shadow or a DPS Guardian, so I can't tell you what those are like.

Anyway, that's my opinion, but no choice is wrong. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Well to be honest I LOVE my Shadow and it is my favorite class right now. BUT the story is so BORING! Seriously the only interesting part of the Consular story is when you get Nadia.

And while we're on the topic of Companions, the Consular so far to me has the lamest cast of Companions. Seriously, who here even cares about Zenith and Lieutenant Iresso??? Even during the story missions I found myself skipping whatever they were saying. Add on top of that Quizen (lizard man) and his Burp Language, absolutely PAINFUL to listen to him talk. Plus HE USES A TECH BLADE! What sick bastard on the Dev Team thought it would be cool to give him a weapon that ONLY he uses??? Honestly the only time you get new weapons for him is from Mission Rewards. Or if you're lucky enough to know an Armstech crafter who can make a moddable tech blade for you.

Tharan and Nadia are the only 2 saving graces for that HORRIBLE story and miserable cast of characters!

But as far as playing Shadow it's a BLAST! Once you get used to having Stealth you'll never wanna play without it!

Which class is, in your opinion, better? - Guardian

Which has a better story, companions, voice acting, abilities, etc? - Shadow

Which is easier? - Shadow

Which is just more fun? - Guardian

I can't decide!! :D

Guardian seems to be a lot more dynamic, especially in endgame PvP. But it also has a noticeably less forgiving learning curve.

On the other hand, Consular story seems to have more depth, the characters appear to be more interesting, while the Shadow class is a lot easier to solo with, thanks to extensive CC and much earlier access to a healing companion.

Which class is, in your opinion, better?

Which has a better story, companions, voice acting, abilities, etc?

Which is easier?

Which is just more fun?

Ok, I've capped both so here is my take. I'll try and be brief.

Which class is better? Let's put a pin on that for the moment.

Which has a better story, and or companions? The Jedi Knight by far in terms of content and even the companions. The story for the Jedi Knight is pretty much the Star Wars saga in a nutshell. It covers all the basics and does so in a meaningful and entertaining way. I won't spoil it for you but most of the companions are very relevant as you reach the end game. And the voice acting is superb.

As for abilities? Hands down, the Shadow is clearly much more intersting. Stealth and CC (mez) make for much more entertaining game play and not just solo. When you are grouping, you become very valuable as part of strategy. Also, with a Shadow, because of your abilities, the impossible becomes possible. I was soloing champs early on.

Which is easier? No question its the Shadow. I've mentioned a couple of the abilities that make it so, but there are others depending on your spec. But the biggest advantage is, by far, that you get your healer very early in the game. Seriously, with his heals and his stuns, there are very few confrontations that will pose much of a problem once you have the mechanics down. Oh, and resource management is much easier for a Shadow. You don't build a resource and deplete it. You start topped off. A totally different story for a Guardian.

Which is more fun? Well, in terms of game play it is the Shadow for many of the reasons I mentioned above. But as a total package which includes the story and companions, it is the Guardian. The Guardian game play is enjoyable and when you add the story elements and you have a little bit of crack that keeps you coming back again and again.

Which class is better? Well for me, it is the Guardian or Jedi Knight. Despite having a lot of fun with the Shadow, the challenges posed but the Jedi Knight class and the difficulty make it more rewarding. You truly learn the game mechanics with this class and you have to really know how and when to use almost ALL of your abilities. It is a far cry from the 3 or 4 button mash you have with other classes.

That's my nickels worth.

Edited by Rafaman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Which class is, in your opinion, better?

Which has a better story, companions, voice acting, abilities, etc?

Which is easier?

Which is just more fun?

Ive played both classes in tank spec. Guardians have a better story and companions in my opinion. Both classes have interesting abilities. Overall Shadows are easier to tank with at 50 because of their AoEs, However guardians are easier from level 10-40.

Personally, i think shadows are more fun because of the AoE tanking abilities.

story is Matter of opinion.

Guardian story is great. Although you go from padawan to 'fight the mightiest in the galaxy' really fast and there's no explanation for your immense power, [everyone references your lightsaber skills more than anything.] which i found a bit jarring. I found it's Act 1 to be a bit weak until the end, Act 2 is amazing, where you assemble a team of the mightiest jedi for a suicide mission, and act 3 is an amazing grand finale.

Consular story is good. Everyone references your amazing force abilities. You use them a lot during the story. Act 1 is pretty solid, Act 2 you are being an actual Consular so it's about building alliances and such, Act 3 is about leading your newly created alliance into battle and defeating traitors in your midst. It doesn't have as many 'moments' as the Guardian story, but it does have them.

Neither stories make any sense if played dark side.