Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight Changes

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Along with the 5 new levels coming in Eternal Throne each of the Classes are receiving changes including new abilities, new utilities, and more. For this post, let’s talk about the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight. This is just a sampling of the changes that are coming with Eternal Throne and are subject to change.

Sith Warrior

Juggernaut

For Juggernauts, we really wanted to strengthen their fantasy as Force-empowered, saber-wielding wrecking balls on the field of battle. To that end, in Knights of the Eternal Throne we have tweaked some of their existing abilities and added some new skills and abilities to help them realize the dream. Here are some of those changes:

• Ravage: This is now an instantly activated ability to help add more mobility to the Juggernaut.
  • Guard: No longer has any Form restricting its use.
  • Hew: New ability for the Vengeance Discipline. It replaces Vicious Throw and has a 30m range.

Each Advanced Class is receiving a new suite of Legendary Utilities, here are some of the Juggernaut’s:

• Piercing Chill: Chilling Scream pierces enemies with an aching chill, dealing additional elemental damage to all affected targets over 8 seconds. Additionally, Chilling Scream grants Chilling Speed, increasing your movement speed by 35% for 8 seconds.
  • Extending Roar: Increases the range of Force Scream to 30 meters, but Force Scream deals reduced damage beyond 10 meters. Additionally, Force Push deals 20% more damage and grants Extending Roar, allowing your next Force Scream to deal full damage regardless of the distance from the target.
  • Reckoning: After using Intercede, your next melee ability deals 20% additional damage.

Marauder

We found Marauders to be in a pretty solid place coming out of Knights of the Fallen Empire, so we focused on small changes that would reinforce the master-of-blades fantasy that the class already had going for it. With Ravage no longer being a channeled ability, we have elevated the fluidity with which the Marauder plays. Here are some of those changes:

• Ravage: This is now an instantly activated ability to help add more mobility to the Marauder.
  • Gore: New ability for the Carnage Discipline. High damage ability that hinders the movement of your enemy and reduces their armor.

Each Advanced Class is receiving a new suite of Legendary Utilities, here are some of the Marauder’s:

• Ruthless Aggressor: Vicious Throw refunds 2 rage on targets affected by your Obfuscate. Additionally, Vicious Throw is usable on targets affected by your Obfuscate, regardless of remaining health. Obfuscate also grants Ruthless Aggressor, increasing Force and tech defense by 75% for 6 seconds.
  • Hidden Savagery: While Force Camouflage is active, you gain a charge of Hidden Savagery every 0.5 seconds. Each charge of Hidden Savagery increases the damage dealt by your next melee attack by 4%. Stacks up to 12 charges and lasts for up to 6 seconds after exiting Force Camouflage.
  • Interloper: Force Charge grants Interloper, allowing you to activate Force Charge a second time. Interloper lasts up to 7.5 seconds and is removed if Force Charge is reused. If Interloper is not utilized by the end of its duration, Force Charge is placed on a 7.5 second cooldown. Additionally, Force Charge now builds 2 Fury.

Jedi Knight

Guardian

For Guardians, we really wanted to strengthen their fantasy as Force-empowered, saber-wielding wrecking balls on the field of battle. To that end, in Knights of the Eternal Throne we have tweaked some of their existing abilities and added some new skills and abilities to help them realize the dream. Here are some of those changes:

• Blade Barrage: Blade Dance has been renamed to Blade Barrage. This is now an instantly activated ability to help add more mobility to the Guardian.
  • Guard: No longer has any Form restricting its use.
  • Whirling Blade: New ability for the Vigilance Discipline. It replaces Dispatch and has a 30m range.

Each Advanced Class is receiving a new suite of Legendary Utilities, here are some of the Guardian’s:

• Persistent Chill: Freezing Force pierces enemies with an aching chill, dealing additional elemental damage to all affected targets over 8 seconds. Additionally, Freezing Force grants Chilling Speed, increasing your movement speed by 35% for 8 seconds.
  • Unyielding Justice: Increases the range of Blade Storm to 30 meters, but Blade Storm deals reduced damage beyond 10 meters. Additionally, Force Push deals 20% more damage and grants Unyielding Justice, allowing your next Blade Storm to deal full damage regardless of the distance from the target.
  • Thwart: After using Guardian Leap, your next melee ability deals 20% additional damage.

Sentinel

We found Sentinels to be in a pretty solid place coming out of Knights of the Fallen Empire, so we focused on small changes that would reinforce the master-of-blades fantasy that the class already had going for it. With Blade Barrage no longer being a channeled ability, we have elevated the fluidity with which the Sentinel plays. Here are some of those changes:

• Blade Barrage: Blade Dance has been renamed to Blade Barrage. This is now an instantly activated ability to help add more mobility to the Sentinel.
  • Lance: New ability for the Combat Discipline. High damage ability that hinders the movement of your enemy and reduces their armor.

Each Advanced Class is receiving a new suite of Legendary Utilities, here are some of the Sentinel’s:

• Zealous Judgment: Dispatch refunds 2 focus on targets affected by your Pacify. Additionally, Dispatch is usable on targets affected by your Pacify, regardless of remaining health. Pacify also grants Zealous Judgment, increasing Force and tech defense by 75% for 6 seconds.
  • Hidden Advance: While Force Camouflage is active, you gain a charge of Hidden Advance every 0.5 seconds. Each charge of Hidden Advance increases the damage dealt by your next melee attack by 4%. Stacks up to 12 charges and lasts for up to 6 seconds after exiting Force Camouflage.
  • Intercessor: Force Leap grants Intercessor, allowing you to activate Force Leap a second time. Intercessor lasts up to 7.5 seconds and is removed if Force Leap is reused. If Intercessor is not utilized by the end of its duration, Force Leap is placed on a 7.5 second cooldown. Additionally, Force Leap now builds 2 Centering.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Nevermind. The description of the Gore change is very confusing. If you are re-naming Gore to something else, you should mention that. As written, it looks like the former 3 second 100% armor penetration ability is going away. I think it is simply being renamed, correct? Edited by teclado

So carnage will have two abilities both called "Gore" or is the new Gore/Lance replacing the old Gore/Precision? This ability is the backbone of the whole discipline so it seems pretty important to clear up. Gore/Precision increases the armour penetration of the next 2/3 abilities (if I'm remembering correctly) and the new Gore/Lance sunders armour as well but also has it's own damage and a movement impairing effect.

If the old Gore/Prescision is being removed, does that mean I can stop freaking out when my rotation gets messed up because I will no longer have to worry about the "window"? This would make the class a lot easier to play for new people as the sundering effect would just get reapplied in your rotation instead of always trying to squeeze ravage, vicious throw and devastating blast all in one window.

[*]Ruthless Aggressor: Vicious Throw refunds 2 rage on targets affected by your Obfuscate. Additionally, Vicious Throw is usable on targets affected by your Obfuscate, regardless of remaining health. Obfuscate also grants Ruthless Aggressor, increasing Force and tech defense by 75% for 6 seconds.

So is this meaning to say that Ruthless Aggressor is only activated by using Obfuscate and all the procs come as part of that package?

[*]Piercing Chill: Chilling Scream pierces enemies with an aching chill, dealing additional elemental damage to all affected targets over 8 seconds. Additionally, Chilling Scream grants Chilling Speed, increasing your movement speed by 35% for 8 seconds.

NO.

DO NOT do this. Do not give MORE AoE damage to Juggs and make us need to take another utility for maximum damage. Utilities should supplement, not wholesale change rotations. Remove the DoT, or make it long enough that it's a filler and not rotational, otherwise people will find a way to use it rotationally.

Plus, it gives juggs more pressure in PvP and more AoE, something we don't need.

Also, Ravage must do a significant amount of damage otherwise Vengeance is going to suck.

So carnage will have two abilities both called "Gore" or is the new Gore/Lance replacing the old Gore/Precision? This ability is the backbone of the whole discipline so it seems pretty important to clear up. Gore/Precision increases the armour penetration of the next 2/3 abilities (if I'm remembering correctly) and the new Gore/Lance sunders armour as well but also has it's own damage and a movement impairing effect.

If the old Gore/Prescision is being removed, does that mean I can stop freaking out when my rotation gets messed up because I will no longer have to worry about the "window"? This would make the class a lot easier to play for new people as the sundering effect would just get reapplied in your rotation instead of always trying to squeeze ravage, vicious throw and devastating blast all in one window.

They are doing their usual renaming mumbo-jumbo. Old Gore is called Ferocity now, and got pimping new icon. Otherwise unchanged.

Better look at Combat sentinel. They avoided any confusion with ability naming there.

Edited by Frenesi

So, on that 1 GCD liberated by Blade Dance/ Ravage, and going by current Dulfy rotations:

Guardians:

Focus gets 5 free focus off Concentrated Slice on BD cycle to fill it, which is good. Will make focus management and execute more flexible.

Vigilance, unless tooltips are incomplete, gets Dispatch replacement free of focus cost, which as well liberates some focus from rotation to spend on extra filler.

Marauders:

Fury gets ****.

Carnage gets new skill to fill the gap, but it costs 3 rage and no rage income was added. Will throw rotation off.

Annihilation gets ****.

Edited by Frenesi

Carnage's present Gore is being renamed but will function identically to it's present manner. Why they chose to name a new ability Gore and not chose a new name for that [afterall it is a new ability] is beyond me and is very silly. Thus, you will have the present gore ability [just renamed] and this new ability that they are calling gore.

It might be easy to confuse the different between armor penetraition and armor reduction. The gore affect [as in present Gore] by passes all armor thus ignoring damage reduction do to armor. This will apply as normal to the attacks you fit into your gore window.

This new Gore ability with armor reduction would be used outside of the gore window else lose the point of it's armor deduction, although even if you did use it in a gore window it's effects could last beyond the gore window to subsquent attacks depending on the armor reduction's duration and other people could benefit from it if they were attacking the same target.

Don't let the lose of the channel time on Ravage fool you. It wont make this better, things will be worse. The damage of ravage is getting nerfed to the extent that at its max damage it will not exceed the damage you presently do with Ravage's first two ticks. Ravage nerf is a straight up DPS loss.

Annihilation and Carnage are being nerfed and not a little nerf, a big one [Carnage moreso than Anni]. This is based on the results of Bant's experience on the latest PST. if his estimates are correct [and he's pretty on the ball if experience is a guide], Marauders will be one of the lowest dps classes in the game. Carnage especially. The following is the estimates made by Bant regarding the new DPS order in 5.0. Unfortunately the write up he made was removed from the forums because it delbt with datamine info and from his experience on PST. But heres where the mara specs will be

Annihialtion will ranked 5th, Carnage will be ranked 10th and Fury will be ranked 11th.

The differences in top DPS outputs for Maras will be 100s of points less than certain specs of other classes. Mercs, Snipers, and Operatives will fill out the top DPS tier [quarter 1-4 specs]. Ranged will have the highest DPS in addition to their ever present greater uptime than melee. Melee will become once again, as in 3.0 a liability in some cases and in others simply subpar, Marauders will be medicore at best numbers wise, but given the greater uptime ranged have, also being less prone to take damage compared to melee and less effected by raid mechanics, the differences in DPS in live raids will be staggering and will be even worse in PVP.

Operatives, Assassins, Snipers, and Mercs will all have higher DPS than marauders. [depending on spec]. The DPS differential between rank 1 and rank 16 on the DPS chart will be slightly greater than it is now, Rank 1 and 16 having a 1000 point dps difference.

Bant himself will be leaving the game, and he is far from the only one.

I only play a Carnage Marauder, come 5.0 it will be subpar across the board.

Baring estimates being vastly inaccurate or BW themself making unknown changes before x-pac's release, I'll be leaving shortly after X-pac myself. The class rape, the damage the new gearing system is doing to both progression raiding and end game PVP, no new operations, and the removal of gear drops in raids, I can't find one reason to stay.

We were all hopeful we wouldn't get nerfed so badly, but I'm sorry to say that all the information that has been brought forth from various sources [datamine, pts, the practical numbers associated with the new gear being specific] Carnage is getting nerfed badly, Anni is as well in it's own right. Only Fury gained on this deal, but it still remains behind Carnage and Annihiliation so that gain is relative.

This isn't written in stone just yet, but, I wouldn't hold out much hope of it being otherwise.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

So, on that 1 GCD liberated by Blade Dance/ Ravage, and going by current Dulfy rotations:

Guardians:

Focus gets 5 free focus off Concentrated Slice on BD cycle to fill it, which is good. Will make focus management and execute more flexible.

Vigilance, unless tooltips are incomplete, gets Dispatch replacement free of focus cost, which as well liberates some focus from rotation to spend on extra filler.

Marauders:

Fury gets ****.

Carnage gets new skill to fill the gap, but it costs 3 rage and no rage income was added. Will throw rotation off.

Annihilation gets ****.

Dispatch is already free. Vengeance gets nothing technically, but the rotation looks pretty fluid, not sure what DPS it'll do, depends, but the rotation LOOKS fine. The freezing force thing bugs me though.

Guardians are certainly going to be a wrecking ball in PvP.

just... no. look at merc changes.

NO.

DO NOT do this. Do not give MORE AoE damage to Juggs and make us need to take another utility for maximum damage. Utilities should supplement, not wholesale change rotations. Remove the DoT, or make it long enough that it's a filler and not rotational, otherwise people will find a way to use it rotationally.

Plus, it gives juggs more pressure in PvP and more AoE, something we don't need.

Also, Ravage must do a significant amount of damage otherwise Vengeance is going to suck.

Are you feeling good in ranked pvp? I agree this is kinda strange utility but still better than nothing.

Edited by DerSchneider

Marauder

We found Marauders to be in a pretty solid place coming out of Knights of the Fallen Empire

Sentinel

We found Sentinels to be in a pretty solid place coming out of Knights of the Fallen Empire

I disagree with this assessment. Marauder's main moves is spamming assault and massacre with occasional saber throws and force chokes. When it comes to pvp, Marauder's are instantly targeted because of their low HP.

The main crit abilities (abilities which flash on your toolbar) are "Smash" and "Devastating Blast". The Devasting Blast abilitie is awkward in concept and to watch: Place sabers together to produce a "force blast" lol. I would rather see the crit abilities be Dual Saber Throw, Saber Throw, and maybe Ravage.

I have also previously proposed moving the Juggernaut/Guardian's Force Push and the Intercede jump to the base Sith Warriior/Jedi Knight class so Marauders/Sentiels can use them also. (Personally I would trade Camoflage/Devastating Blast for Force Push/Intercede).

However I will be happy just to have the Classic Lightweight Offhand Vibrosword Crisis end soon.

Edited by jimmorrisson

NO.

Not sure I'll be playing much with the new expansion, and the Intercede utility it obviously aimed at pvp, but do you think it would be a good filler to throw in before impale? Also, I'm assuming you're on the closed PTS, but I've heard Ravage hits like a wet noodle now.

Yep, not sure that removing the form restriction on Guard is such a good idea. It seems like pvp tanks are being made extinct to a certain degree. We already have Immortal Juggs doing almost as much damage as a pure dps. Now we will have Vengeance Juggs with dps caliber numbers and super high protection numbers.

Yep, not sure that removing the form restriction on Guard is such a good idea. It seems like pvp tanks are being made extinct to a certain degree. We already have Immortal Juggs doing almost as much damage as a pure dps. Now we will have Vengeance Juggs with dps caliber numbers and super high protection numbers.

This is what I'm worried about too. I play tanks and healers in both pve and pvp. In either format my dps toons are crap, I can't get the handle of dps for some reason. Why will people bother running tank spec in pvp now? The most popular method to run after all are skank tanks (dps gear + tank stace). Now as a tank the advantage over dps guardians is... an aoe taunt? It doesn't bug me in pve, but pvp wise, it looks like I'll be down to healing as my primary spec is obsolete. Hopefully sorc heals remain god :rolleyes:

NO.

As an Immortal Tank, I wish they would augment how our current AOE works so it chains to more local targets without such a narrow cone, I feel that is one place tanking could be improved. I don't like that taking this utility might be the answer to that.

I also wished our limited force abilities had a bit more flash to them, I get we are more blade focused, but that doesn't mean our force abilities need to be boring. Think Vader using floating objects to pelt Luke on Bespin.

Jugs are not taken in team ranked because their defensive cooldowns are inferior to mara dcds in a team environment. Whereas mara cooldowns are about hard damage stops and long-term survival, jug cooldowns are more about surviving as a lone wolf, in a duel or something. In competitive play, they are easy to force, and once they're used, the jug is dead in the water. 6 seconds of 75% force and tech DR every 45 seconds for pacify/obfuscate is .... wow. Wish jugs could've gotten something similar that would make them competitive. And I'm a sent/mara main, historically at least (I play all the classes/specs).

6 seconds of 75% force and tech DR every 45 seconds for pacify/obfuscate is .... wow. Wish jugs could've gotten something similar that would make them competitive. And I'm a sent/mara main, historically at least (I play all the classes/specs).

I gotta be honest, when I saw that, I thought I was reading the proposed ability of someone who knows nothing about game design. I will admit I don't have a good grasp of the class balancing and maybe it's a perfectly reasonable DCD to give them. But it surprised me, is all I can say.