Top 3 GTN annoyances

Raora

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if you could sort by stack size for high cost items.

If someone is selling the same mats at a too low price, then buy them and resell them in larger stacks for a profit.

...Buy low/sell high.

True. Since reading your posts, I've started to spin through about ten items every time I go to list something on the GTN. It is amazing how many grossly underpriced items that can be found. On my server the Paste goes for about 1,200 to 1,500 credits a unit. I usually list at 1,399 per. If I go to list and see someone has listed 40 units at 158 per, I will indeed snap it up. That is well under production cost. I will then relist at my standard price = easy profit. I don't play the market to look for bargains to relist, but only a dummy would not take advantage of what is there. ---- Oh look, someone listed 99 Hypertechs for 12,500 credits, gee they go for about 1,000 each, I think that I will wait until they sell before I list mine at 1,000 and not be a bad guy and buy the stack and then relist - yeh right, lol.

Truth is that there are a small number of people who do not understand pricing or who do but list very low for their own reasons. The problem with the swtor economy is that it is not dynamic and vibrant, but limps along. A few people who list at a low price can actually kill the pricing of a mat because buyers see the low price and start to think that is what the pricing should be and will hold off from buying at a 'reasonable" price. Yes, reasonable is subjective but if something s(other than throw away unwanted junk) ells for less than the production cost + GTN cut + small profit then I call that unreasonable. To me the resellers help the economy greatly. They clear away the underpriced stuff out and help keep a floor under pricing.

I do this 5-6 times a day when I do not have to work. On average I spend around 500k per day buying up lower priced materials which in turn makes me 1 to 2.5 million.

I haven't really used the gtn since I came over from my old server to the new big server but now that I viewed items such as gathered material from bioanalysis or tech parts I look at the prices and I'm shocked...people are selling them sooo cheap it's not even worth my time to sell mine. I did a mission for one of my crew skills looked at what the items were going for on the gtn and honest to god people were selling them CHEAPER than the cost of the mission to obtain them. I don't know if it's just too many people undercutting or the larger population giving a whole lot more supply but I went from making little money on the gtn to none...infact I'd be losing money if I started selling them at those prices.

I haven't really used the gtn since I came over from my old server to the new big server but now that I viewed items such as gathered material from bioanalysis or tech parts I look at the prices and I'm shocked...people are selling them sooo cheap it's not even worth my time to sell mine. I did a mission for one of my crew skills looked at what the items were going for on the gtn and honest to god people were selling them CHEAPER than the cost of the mission to obtain them. I don't know if it's just too many people undercutting or the larger population giving a whole lot more supply but I went from making little money on the gtn to none...infact I'd be losing money if I started selling them at those prices.

you can make credits, I gross 1-2 million a day

Some rules of MMO Markets I have learned over the last decade plus...

If you want to sell small stacks, sell them in stack sizes people need. In other words, do your research. People who are leveling up a crafting skill don't want to buy more than they need, but they also don't want to have to buy a bunch of singles when one click will get them exactly what they need.

If you are going to sell single stacks, only sell a few and price them at a HIGHER unit price than large stack sellers. People who only need one more unit of something to craft an item will pay a premium if they can avoid buying a bunch extra they don't need.

Items will almost always sell for a price lower than the market resource price. The exceptions are extremely rare items or items crafted with extremely rare/hard to get resources.

Resource prices are often over-inflated. The reason for this is entirely psychological in my opinion but what do I know, I'm not a psychologist.

No matter what you know about economics or how you feel things should be done (I'm talking to the time = money crowd here) there are large numbers of MMO players that simply DO NOT CARE about such things and feel money is money and they don't care if they are selling an item for a lower than normal price as long as they are making a profit. Nothing you can say will change this view, just grit your teeth and hope they run out of stuff to sell quickly.

If things you are selling aren't selling for the price you are asking, either your price is too high or there are just way too many people selling the same thing. You are better off selling prototype augment materials to the vendor than thinking someone will buy them in stacks of 99 no matter what the price...unless you are selling for less than vendor price...but you wouldn't do that, would you?

If you aren't having fun, don't do it.

I tend to make characters that build stuff. Therefore, I tend to hoard materials. I'd rather manufacture items out of them than sell the raw materials. I build items for sale, for my Alts, and for friends and guildies.

So my top 3 annoyances...

1. Slicers that sell sliced tech parts and augment schematics for such a ridonkulously high price that no crafter in their right mind would ever buy those to manufacture augments. As a result, there's a drastic shortage of decently priced augments at all levels, but especially low levels. It makes it so you're much better off to just make an Alt that farms sliced tech for you than ever buy anything.

2. People that make items of all descriptions that are meant for starting characters then sell them for thousands and thousands of credits more than they are actually worth. This is just stupidity, because what you're trying for is people with a level 50 main character that has more money than brains, who is willing to give you 25K, even 50K for some item that their Alt will have outgrown in about 3 hours of questing. But if you're a new player, it means that you have no means of actually using the GTN to buy better gear for yourself because everything is too expensive.

3. People that sell crafitng missions for such an exhorbitant amount that it's foolish to ever consider buying them. Yes, artifact grade materials for crafting are rare and a pain to get the "hard" way unless you roll lucky. But if I can easily run 10-20 level 6 gathering missions myself for the price of one "rare" mission on the GTN, then something's wrong. In those 20 missions I'll get what I need plus a bunch of "blues" to make lots of stuff to build and sell.

They sell items as a "stack" of one, just to be an A--. Think about it.

Those that ride the speeder in circles for hours, who park there ride on top of the mailbox, who ask to "borrow" credits, are the knuckleheads that are "Trollollolloll" in general chat. ;)

1. People putting a Korrealis Commander or other non-attainable mount for way too much on the GTN. i want that speeder yes, so do alot of people. but you want it gone and someone wants it. negotiate a price plz.

2. Lack of logic on prices on stuff that makes something like (Augmentation kit MK-6) when its cheaper to buy the kit straight from the GTN. Really? you didnt learn the lesson from the 1.3 PTS GTN? Why bother posting the mats at such ridiculous prices.

3. People selling the most wanted oranges for stupid prices. I will admit they are ahrd to get and very much wanted. but no one is going to do dailies for credits when they can just use that time to try to get the item themselves for "free".

not having an automatic attached "vendor" price to any item in inventory for an easy quick reference (ffs i'm using paper and pencil and calculators to list my crap on gtn only to have mailbox filled with "item listing expired" everyday)

having a "per item" pricing option for listing my goods (again need the calculator for this)

having a "shift-click" to quickly search for an item

the notion of the 80/20 rule (80% of profit from 20% of listed items) is more like 98%-2% and having a tool which attaches the vendor price of items you are dealing with in the gtn would save a lot of time and make the process much more efficient

not having an automatic attached "vendor" price to any item in inventory for an easy quick reference (ffs i'm using paper and pencil and calculators to list my crap on gtn only to have mailbox filled with "item listing expired" everyday)

having a "per item" pricing option for listing my goods (again need the calculator for this)

having a "shift-click" to quickly search for an item

the notion of the 80/20 rule (80% of profit from 20% of listed items) is more like 98%-2% and having a tool which attaches the vendor price of items you are dealing with in the gtn would save a lot of time and make the process much more efficient

thought you only have to roll your mouse over the price for that?

• 2 weeks later...

I find it annoying when people are selling lowbie mats for outrageous prices. Yes I understand that its supply and demand. But I see common level 2 go for 2.5cu in stacks of 50!! You may as well not even list stuff because other crafters can't buy it and make a profit off the things they sell. I'll just not craft that item today and we both lose out on profits. Lower the price and it would all sell...

Level 2 commons for 2.5cu and level 3 commons for 5cu!!!!! This is not an overall example of the entire server economy. Its just an example of crazy pricing by a few low rent gatherers who are a little too ambitious...

well for 1 the 1 credit per unit undercut is me people buy the lowest on and dont care about if it is 1 credit or 100 credits lower. so by doing just 1 credit keeps the prices as high as posible.

umm nope - I don't buy anything with a price that ends in a 9 just on principle.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Not being able to organize the seach for items by per unit cost, instead of final cost.

I post all my crafting mats in stacks of 99. I sell cheaper than those who post in stacks of 1, yet players looking to buy will grab the stacks of 1 instead of my stacks of 99 since those are listed first.

2) Selling finished products for less than the cost of the mats to craft them.

I have over 800 purple crafting recipes for Sytweaving alone, and tons more, with all the other professions (I only bothered to count one of them) yet i don't bother to post what I can make on the GTN becuase players don't buy purple leveling gear unless it is less than the cost of mats.

3) When you post something on the GTN when the servers go down, you don't know what sold.

When you get your credits in the mail, you have a message saying "the item you posted on the GTN sold for the price you were selling it for." For those of use that sell finished products, and not just mats we don't know what sold. When an item sells, I craft another one and repost it for 5k more than what it sold for last time. Then if it doesn't sell I lower the price again. When an item sells, and I don't know what it was, how am I supposed to craft a new one to repost?

1. People putting a Korrealis Commander or other non-attainable mount for way too much on the GTN. i want that speeder yes, so do alot of people. but you want it gone and someone wants it. negotiate a price plz. [/Quote]

What do you consider "way too much?" Paying those players is the only way to obtain those items. 2 million credits to buy it from the vender is "way too much" for some people. I see people selling it 6 months after they became unattainable for 5 million credits. That is not much of a mark up when you consider how easy it was to get them at 2 million vs how hard it is to get them now the venders don't sell them anymore.

Just think what the prices will be like in 1-7 years from now.

Edited by Zarahemla

1. As a resource seller, someone pricing stacks 1 credit per unit lower than mine. If you are going to undercut me, undercut me!

People tend to buy at the lowest possible price, so NOT undercutting you by 1 credit is simply bad business. It doesn't matter if you price an item at $-1 or $-1,000; most players are simply going to buy the first listed item. There is utterly no financial gain in undercutting an item a huge amount when people will buy it at the lowest high price possible.

Learn to max out your profits and stop throwing away credits needlessly on undercutting.

The rest I agree with.