What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

Fastdoze

If you are going to play both advance classes you will get a more divergent story if you switch up alignment and gender. Why lock yourself out of a big chunk of the story by sticking to only one gender?

What I find truly puzzling are people who play a game with multiple species, and yet keep rolling humans...

I find most the dark side races creepy and ugly, so all my characters are human or chiss. This game is like 75% story, I spent a lot of time looking at my character's face, I'd like not to gag while doing it.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good tip for all video games: Assume everyone is a 12 year old male until proven otherwise. You'll enjoy the game a lot more and will not be offended by a majority of player's maturity level. In my guild we only had 3 real girls out of dozens and dozens of males who play female characters. There is nothing wrong with it. Especially if you choose to be a consular because the male voice is extremely annoying. I sure as hell don't want to listen to Nolan North.

I find most the dark side races creepy and ugly, so all my characters are human or chiss. This game is like 75% story, I spent a lot of time looking at my character's face, I'd like not to gag while doing it.

Yeah, happens to me too. I've only been able to keep a face with either a human or cyborg, all the others, I find them too fugly to stand them for long.

For my Bounty Hounter, I'd like a Mirialan, so I'll pay that 1.5 million to unlock the species. Vanity has its price :rolleyes:

I like variety in my characters - none of them have the same combination of personal traits or abilities. That includes making several of them female. In fact, I actually have ten characters planned out because of this.

Female mirialan full light side jedi consular shadow infiltration melee dps (no RA)

Male human mostly light side jedi knight guardian defense tank (OGRA)

Male zabrak neutral trooper commando combat medic healer (OGRA)

Female cyborg mostly dark side smuggler gunslinger sharpshooter ranged dps (SGRA)

Male miraluka full dark side jedi consular sage seer healer (SGRA)

Female twi'lek full light side sith inquisitor assassin darkness tank (OGRA)

Male chiss mostly light side bounty hunter powertech shield tech tank (OGRA)

Female human neutral sith warrior marauder annihilation melee dps (SGRA)

Male rattataki mostly dark side imperial agent operative medicine healer (OGRA)

Male sith pureblood full dark side sith inquisitor sorcerer lightning ranged dps (no RA)

It's obviously an ambitious plan - at the moment, I have two 50s, a 25 and three 20s, and I have no expectation that I'll actually gear all of them. But I feel like this is a better way to play a game in which the story is so much more immersive than the end-game content.

Edit: I should add that this will totally keep going as new content is added. New races will have to be the first step:

Male (new light side race) mostly light side smuggler scoundrel scrapper dps (OGRA)

Female (new dark side race) mostly dark side bounty hunter mercenary arsenal dps (OGRA)

Edited by PresentTense

Most female toons are guys anyway. It's all about which backside you'd rather stare at :)

AGREED!!!!

lol, if you think about it, with the legacy system it makes sense for there to be this crossover of guys playing a girls and girls with guy toons,

I started with a Male inquistor, and after nearly 6 months of only having one toon decided to create his daughter... Hell i am on a RP server. When i farm credits for her, i send them with the subject of "Galactic Child Support Payment", even though i am the only one that sees it.

i dont think it is wrong to do this.... though if you try to change your voice in Ventrilo, that might be a little odd.

Once, way back in the 90's I was playing Mario party with my friends. I had a few beers and decided to be Peach. Everybody got a kick out of it so from that point forward, if given a choice in a video game, I always choose to play a female.

I just moved to a new server and started a Jedi Knight Twi'lek. I selected the smallest female body for her and am going to turn her into a killer tank. I can't wait 'till level 50 when I go on HM's with people I have never met. They will look at her and say "THAT is our tank?"

Once, way back in the 90's I was playing Mario party with my friends. I had a few beers and decided to be Peach. Everybody got a kick out of it so from that point forward, if given a choice in a video game, I always choose to play a female.

I just moved to a new server and started a Jedi Knight Twi'lek. I selected the smallest female body for her and am going to turn her into a killer tank. I can't wait 'till level 50 when I go on HM's with people I have never met. They will look at her and say "THAT is our tank?"

lol my vanguard is pretty 'petite' aswell, looking all cute... with her giant blaster. :D

I've heard rumours that some of the Sith Pureblood characters are not actually played by Sith Purebloods. Shocking, I know.

I lol'd.

Four out of the five characters I play regularly are female. They're more aesthetically pleasing, and given the ubiquitousness of male protagonists in video games, a refreshing change to the norm.

Frankly, it's the people who think your character's gender should align with your own who have issues. Learn to separate fantasy from reality.

Edited by Aurojiin

All fantasy is killed by vent

That sexy female gunslinger was looking good until

I heard that deep voice over vent

lol! It is surprising sometimes. I was chatting with a female Shadow, we decided to run an HM with Vent and that Shadow changed before my very eyes. :)

lol! It is surprising sometimes. I was chatting with a female Shadow, we decided to run an HM with Vent and that Shadow changed before my very eyes. :)

The must be some software that can disguise your voice so you can sound like your toon. IDK, maybe that is taking it too far.

Rule of thumb.... Assume all players are dudes, then when you join a guild with a vent you might be pleasantly surprised to find out that dude was a girl.

I find that assumption kinda rude.

I mean, I don't mind / care what gender a person is and I don't assume anything.

But when people send me tells like "hey man...." (actually happened yesterday) I get... well not pissed but it will get a negative reaction from me, how bad depends on my mood I guess :p.

You can talk to people without forcing your assumption about their gender on them.

And yeah, I play female toons almost exclusively, it's all about being able to relate to my character.

I play SWTOR with a friend who is a bloke, and he pretty much plays all female toons - he prefers the female aesthetics. That is annoying though when his girl has better looking armour than my girl (I spent a lot of time and credits trying to get my girl looking better than his), but other than that, I don't think anything of it. He has recently made a male character, and that took a while to get used to! I think it was because he wanted to use the flirt options on all the females NPCs in the game :)

But it means nothing what gender character you play - you only get issues when the weird people fixate on a toon of the gender they fancy in real life, assuming its being played by someone of that gender. And that is just plain old creepy.

Edited by MistralAnemoi
spelling mistake...

What do I think?

When I see a female toon I would just think its either a girl or a G.I.R.L.(Guy In Real Life).

I sometimes would ask them if they are a girl in real life and so far I found out they were really guys. I also thought about asking people who had male toons if they were really girl gamers,but that would turn out to be awkward.>.>

I tried to roll a female for the heck of it. Got to level 3 and deleted it. I rather role what I am, but that's just me. I also have to always chose body style three cause I am tall IRL. Just a quirk of mine. As for anyone else it's your money you roll what you want.

I find that assumption kinda rude.

I mean, I don't mind / care what gender a person is and I don't assume anything.

But when people send me tells like "hey man...." (actually happened yesterday) I get... well not pissed but it will get a negative reaction from me, how bad depends on my mood I guess :p.

You can talk to people without forcing your assumption about their gender on them.

And yeah, I play female toons almost exclusively, it's all about being able to relate to my character.

THIS.

I play all women characters because I'm a woman IRL. I get SO TIRED of people in groups referring to me as "he". It's really annoying. I know folks just assume but there ARE girls who play this game, including lots of my RL friends who I play with. It's just aggravating.

It is a game, who cares? If someone has issues with people playing a character of the opposite sex I'd maintain they have issues unrelated to game play :)

I'm a 62 year old guy and have 8 characters in SWTOR. Two are female, just for grins. There are games where there is no choice. I really enjoyed the early Tomb Raider games and I don't recall an option to turn Lara into a guy :p

P.S. I do admit to skipping the romantic lines on my female toons, but then I'm old and set in my ways. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

THIS.

I play all women characters because I'm a woman IRL. I get SO TIRED of people in groups referring to me as "he". It's really annoying. I know folks just assume but there ARE girls who play this game, including lots of my RL friends who I play with. It's just aggravating.

Not only are there lots of women playing games but an Entertainment Software Association 2010 study showed that 46% of people that bought games were women and 42% of on-line gamers are women. See page 9 of the linked PDF. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_Essential_Facts_2010.PDF

Not only are there lots of women playing games but an Entertainment Software Association 2010 study showed that 46% of people that bought games were women and 42% of on-line gamers are women. See page 9 of the linked PDF. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_Essential_Facts_2010.PDF

People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.

People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. I've played WoW since release and run across many families, couples, and single ladies that play. Could it be somewhat less than 42%, perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that more play MMOs like STWOR and WoW than FPS games like MW. In any event the number of women players is significant and has been steadily increasing.

THIS.

For me it's irritating when they then "jokingly" (we all know the jokes) refuse to believe you when you say something like "I'm a she." It never used to bother me, in the past I would ignore it or even laugh along, but I guess it starts to wear on you after quite a few years of online gaming.

I just call all male characters "he" and all female characters "she", unless told otherwise.

Edited by lornalove
spelling and clarification (and ocd : )