are you enjoying guardian pvp?

croll

I have to say i am having hard time enjoying pvp with my guardian, its not because of the nerfing or anything but somehow i am always having hard time when i pug, most of the time multiple people are on me considering i am at the heat of the battle and it takes a lot of time for me to kill someone, unless there is a healer healing me I die before getting any medals...

btw i am decent at pvp and I also have a shadow and gunslinger and having tons of fun with them; I always wanted to have fun with my guardian but it is not the case atm; what you guys think?

Since they destroyed it, no I do not enjoy my guardian in PvP.

Me neither.

With old Focus, I used to be a force to be reckoned with and a powerful asset to any team. With highly optimized gear I could take on people 2v1 and sometimes even 3v.1 and come out on top. Overpowered? Possibly, but then again I did invest a lot to get where I was.

Now I just feel like a generic melee character that may...or may not beat another class depending on the situation. No redeeming qualities...average damage and boring play-style thanks to Vigilance. Lackluster cooldowns and over-priced abilities just make Guardian DPS feel underwhelming.

Absolutely not, and I wish I could say it was a recent thing.

I played Guardian in PvP since day 1 pre-launch, and played in Focus spec since Beta (back before it was what the "cool kids" did). I destroyed other Knights in 1v1 but rarely any other classes, but my damage usually got close to topping the charts.

I don't know whether it's me being at 50 now or just changes to the game, but I feel very underpowered in PvP. I've tried so many different specs: full Focus, full Defense, full Vigilance, Vig/Focus, Vig/Defense, even a wacky Defense/Focus (not as bad as it might sound) and still no enjoyment. That said, I've started being accustomed to Vigilance PvE so maybe when I get the hang of that I'll find a way to enjoy that spec in PvP.

I've got a character for each of the other ACs and I can honestly say Guardian is the one I'm the least excited about PvPing with nowadays. I nearly shelved him after levelling my Marauder when I found I was dishing out more damage AND had more survivability.

So yeah, I know the feeling...

I have to say i am having hard time enjoying pvp with my guardian, its not because of the nerfing or anything but somehow i am always having hard time when i pug, most of the time multiple people are on me considering i am at the heat of the battle and it takes a lot of time for me to kill someone, unless there is a healer healing me I die before getting any medals...

btw i am decent at pvp and I also have a shadow and gunslinger and having tons of fun with them; I always wanted to have fun with my guardian but it is not the case atm; what you guys think?

What nerf are you referring to all I seen was greatness in 1.2. What is your level? To answer ur question I have a blast playing with guardian I do great with pvp the only problem I have with it is not really the class but sometimes its the team not trying to help each other or just poor decisions on my part. Just because you are a tank doesn't mean you can take over the whole world you still have to be smart with ur decisions. If you are a low level you will die even if you try your hardest because the lack of abilities you have. Try to look for enemies with lower health or join a teammate in a fight to take people out faster.

Me neither.

With old Focus, I used to be a force to be reckoned with and a powerful asset to any team. With highly optimized gear I could take on people 2v1 and sometimes even 3v.1 and come out on top. Overpowered? Possibly, but then again I did invest a lot to get where I was.

Now I just feel like a generic melee character that may...or may not beat another class depending on the situation. No redeeming qualities...average damage and boring play-style thanks to Vigilance. Lackluster cooldowns and over-priced abilities just make Guardian DPS feel underwhelming.

How do I stay up to speed with gear at all times?

i don't enjoy it anymore... they ruined the focus build for pvp. they gave it another singularity builder that was not needed, i didnt have problems building the stacks. At the same time i find myself focus starved. Reduced force sweep damage by 10%. The talent tree for focus is useless now, u have to spec into slash spamming, instead of using the rotation for sweeps. Feels like they modified it for PVE or something.

even so, i find myself top dps in wfs so they must have failed even harder with the other classes.

The only piece of gear with proper stats for a focus build are the gloves...

NPCs in wfs not working, voidstar bike ride for defenders, still bugged ops interface in wfs... 1.2 must be the most fail patch in history of MMOs.

Yeah, i enjoy it. But i rolled guardian as a support class, pushing stunning and guarding my way to 6 medals is easy, if we are getting rolled 4 is still easy. I try to find healers and stick with them like glue, stuning the crud out of anyone who comes near. I find this to be very fun.

If you define fun in pvp as IM THE BEST IM THE TOP DMG RAWR, then no. its not fun. but when it comes to supporting my team and letting the dps classes run free while i protect our 1-2 healers then yeah i have a blast.

I find that i am disatisfied with my abilitys when the team is not playing to win but playing as individuals who want to be sweet.

judd

I'm still in pre-50 WZs, but I greatly enjoy my vig guardian. I already knew how to use master strike in WZs pre-1.2, and now it's just amazing. Add in zen strike, and I'm using it against almost every opponent successfully. Since the patch, I am always top damage if I stay in shien. When no one is protecting healers, I'll guard them and get near top damage and usually top protection.

Yeah, i enjoy it. But i rolled guardian as a support class, pushing stunning and guarding my way to 6 medals is easy, if we are getting rolled 4 is still easy. I try to find healers and stick with them like glue, stuning the crud out of anyone who comes near. I find this to be very fun.

If you define fun in pvp as IM THE BEST IM THE TOP DMG RAWR, then no. its not fun. but when it comes to supporting my team and letting the dps classes run free while i protect our 1-2 healers then yeah i have a blast.

I find that i am disatisfied with my abilitys when the team is not playing to win but playing as individuals who want to be sweet.

judd

I agree with you, when you are with a good team you could become very powerfull supporting them and thats fun but it also forces you to play one style in pvp to be succesfull, like paladin in wow... you should be able to play all specs and have fun but thats not the case.When you compare trooper with guardian, they are really good and efficient when they do damage...(we are easy target 1vs1) 2vs2 tank spec with a healer, we rock...

Edited by croll

For defense spec, this. You won't get thanked often and you'll never get an MVP vote because 95% of the PvPers in this game don't understand the concept of tanking in PvP, but if you take advantage of shielding and taunting you are a game changer, and it's a blast. For me at least... I'm having more fun in PvP than I have in a while.

Me neither.

they werent overpowered in the slightest. When you beat people 3v1 its because they suck, and they have no gear. The reason we were nerfed to the ground is because we were one of the few ACs able to stomp sorcerors and bioware cant allow that we all know.

Edited by Sickboy_

judd

I agree with Judd. I still really enjoy guardian pvp. I am a defense tree guardian and I enjoy supporting the DPS players by stunning, taunting, and guarding. Since the update, I am regularly near the top of the leaderboard and yesterday got 12 medals in 2 different warzones which was a personal best. My guardian seems to be a bit more durable since the update even though I lost 15 health.

Krag

Before 1.2 as a Focus Guardian, I was able to kill almost everyone in PvP with 0.00% expertise, only with improved Rakata gear.Today I got killed by commando healer while I was wearing pvp gear (Battlemaster) and he too.

Bioware, do think this is fun for players with Guardian Focus tree at all?

I agree with Judd. I still really enjoy guardian pvp. I am a defense tree guardian and I enjoy supporting the DPS players by stunning, taunting, and guarding. Since the update, I am regularly near the top of the leaderboard and yesterday got 12 medals in 2 different warzones which was a personal best. My guardian seems to be a bit more durable since the update even though I lost 15 health.

Krag

support support support, i dont think people like you and judd know what that actually means. A dps specced guardian should NOT be a support player(aka a class that is completely helpless on its own and only able to help nearby teammates with taunts and guardian leaps). Secondly, we want to feel strong on our own, like sentinels, commandos, vanguards, and basically any other class feels. That's what focus provided before the 1.2 nerfs. If you're a tank then you're in a supporting role, but if you're dps specced you should feel as strong as a sentinel.

Guardian:

A wall between the good people of the Republic and their enemies, the Guardian stands firm in the face of overwhelming odds and dares opponents to attack. Perfect concentration and use of the Force allows smooth movement even in heavy armor--making the Guardian a hard target to take down. Leaders on and off the battlefield, Guardians are known for inspiring allies to amazing feats, making them invaluable for conflicts of any size.

Sentinel:

Control and focus are the hallmarks of the Sentinel. Through years of training the Sentinel learns the art of using two Lightsabers simultaneously to create an intricate web of damage that is almost impossible to evade. Manipulating the Force, the Sentinel can see holes in the enemy defense, potential flaws in their own technique and how best to plan for both.

... A dps specced guardian should NOT be a support player ... if you're dps specced you should feel as strong as a sentinel.

I appreciate your frustration, but, to be blunt, it is essentially contradictory to BW/SWTOR's conception of the Jedi Guardian Advanced Class. If Guardians cannot ever do DPS on par with a Sentinel in PvP, BW can accurately point to the myriad of descriptions they've given of both ACs, in game and out, and say: "what did you expect?" or "working as intended."

The bottom line is that the Guardian AC has a few skills that are incredibly valuable in PvP, even though that doesn't mean they increase your DPS. If you choose to not use them because that doesn't jive with your playstyle that's your prerogative, but that's not BW's mistake... it's your decision to play your class differently than it is described and was designed.

Guardian:

Sentinel:

I appreciate your frustration, but, to be blunt, it is essentially contradictory to BW/SWTOR's conception of the Jedi Guardian Advanced Class. If Guardians cannot ever do DPS on par with a Sentinel in PvP, BW can accurately point to the myriad of descriptions they've given of both ACs, in game and out, and say: "what did you expect?" or "working as intended."

The bottom line is that the Guardian AC has a few skills that are incredibly valuable in PvP, even though that doesn't mean they increase your DPS. If you choose to not use them because that doesn't jive with your playstyle that's your prerogative, but that's not BW's mistake... it's your decision to play your class differently than it is described and was designed.

Dude the description of a guardian is the complete opposite of support. They are called "leaders on and off the battlefield". The very definition of the word leader is not support. Also, the description says guardians are hard to take down. In reality, they are not. Sentinels are much, much more hard to kill. So ya, the descriptions don't match at all to how the class works.

Edited by Smashbrother

>using the CLASS DESCRIPTION AS AN ARGUMENT

You're way too dumb to be posting on these boards. Your opinion is invalid. Leave.

I know it's hard to admit you're wrong, but you're wrong. Your argument is akin to saying "I know you designed my class to be a healer class, but I don't want to play it that way, I want to do DPS on par with DPS classes! If I choose to not heal that should mean my ability to heal is moot!"

You've chosen an AC that is fundamentally about tanking/support. Yes, it has trees that focus more on DPS, but the skills that make the AC unique are consistent regardless of the chosen tree. Again: use them or don't. But don't cry that something is broken because you are either too poor a player to use your class to its full potential and/or too ignorant a gamer to understand that DPS is not the sole indicator of skill or a class' ability to contribute.

And... really? I hope you're kidding, because I weep for you if you actually think the class descriptions are a moot point. I'm sorry you ignored them, I'm sorry you think that the descriptions the developers of the game gave you to work with don't inform your understanding of the classes. But, on the small (and sad) chance you're being serious, such an (mis)understanding is your fault, not anyone else's.

Edited by AlyoshaCephas

I know it's hard to admit you're wrong, but you're wrong. Your argument is akin to saying "I know you designed my class to be a healer class, but I don't want to play it that way, I want to do DPS on par with DPS classes! If I choose to not heal that should mean my ability to heal is moot!"

You've chosen an AC that is fundamentally about tanking/support. Yes, it has trees that focus more on DPS, but the skills that make the AC unique are consistent regardless of the chosen tree. Again: use them or don't. But don't cry that something is broken because you are either too poor a player to use your class to its full potential and/or too ignorant a gamer to understand that DPS is not the sole indicator of skill or a class' ability to contribute.

And... really? I hope you're kidding, because I weep for you if you actually think the class descriptions are a moot point. I'm sorry you ignored them, I'm sorry you think that the descriptions the developers of the game gave you to work with don't inform your understanding of the classes. But, on the small (and sad) chance you're being serious, such an (mis)understanding is your fault, not anyone else's.

If guardians are ONLY intended to be tanks, why do they have two dps trees?

That's what I thought. You are using ad hominem and logical fallacies in an attempt to sidetrack the debate, because you have no argumentative skills whatsoever.

I've never said here or elsewhere, nor has BW, that Guardians are "only intended to be tanks", and have acknowledged their DPS trees. As I see it, there are two things to be considered against the suggestion made above that DPS Guardians should be on par with the DPS of a Sentinel.

The first is that BioWare has introduced us to them as different classes and provided us with their design and expectations for each. From the very first encounter you have with the choice between the two ACs, one is represented as a DPS class and the other as a combination of support and DPS. The Sentinel creates a "web of damage" that sees "holes in the enemy defense" to efficiently attack. The Guardian is a "wall between the good people of the Republic and their enemies ... dar[ing] opponents to attack." They are "a hard target to take down" and "inspire allies to amazing feats". Even just these snippets from the shortest descriptions should warn away any misinterpretation that both are intended to be equally effective at pure DPS.

The second is simply that within the Guardian's unique skills, and I mean those that are not specific to any tree, are several support skills (i.e., Guardian Leap, Taunt, Challenging Call, Guard). You cannot ignore these skills in the conversation, even if you decide to do so in your gameplay. If someone chooses to not use a portion of the skills of their AC that is a valid, if inefficient, way to play their character. But to pretend they aren't there is to misrepresent the Guardian in a conversation about its role, and to choose to not use a portion of an AC's capabilities means the class has indeed been gimped, but not by anyone but the player.

I realize that for most people in MMOs the definition of effectiveness for any class in PvP except healers is "more DPS", but this, thankfully so, is not the case in SWTOR. You are correct to say that Guardian is subpar in DPS, but incorrect to assert that such an imbalance in DPS equals ineffectiveness. If your only interest is being the best at DPS in PvP, I strongly encourage you to be something other than Guardian, as its articulated role and skills make it clear that it is not a pure DPS class and will therefore always do less DPS than the classes that are.

tl;dr: BioWare has shown through their descriptions and provided skills that they do not intend Sentinels and Guardians to be able to DPS at an equal level.

• If you want DPS, go Sentinel.
  • If you want a combination of DPS and support, go Guardian.
  • If you want Guardian to do pure DPS on par with Sentinel... well, you'll probably need to develop a new game.

Edited by AlyoshaCephas

Dude the description of a guardian is the complete opposite of support.

Just ignore all those MMOs and PNP games that have a leader/warlord buff support class with descriptions akin to "leaders on and off the battlefield".

Not that I think Guardians are nothing but support. But yeah, you're talking crap.

Edited by CapuchinSeven

I've never said here or elsewhere, nor has BW, that Guardians are "only intended to be tanks", and have acknowledged their DPS trees. As I see it, there are two things to be considered against the suggestion made above that DPS Guardians should be on par with the DPS of a Sentinel.

The first is that BioWare has introduced us to them as different classes and provided us with their design and expectations for each. From the very first encounter you have with the choice between the two ACs, one is represented as a DPS class and the other as a combination of support and DPS. The Sentinel creates a "web of damage" that sees "holes in the enemy defense" to efficiently attack. The Guardian is a "wall between the good people of the Republic and their enemies ... dar[ing] opponents to attack." They are "a hard target to take down" and "inspire allies to amazing feats". Even just these snippets from the shortest descriptions should warn away any misinterpretation that both are intended to be equally effective at pure DPS.

The second is simply that within the Guardian's unique skills, and I mean those that are not specific to any tree, are several support skills (i.e., Guardian Leap, Taunt, Challenging Call, Guard). You cannot ignore these skills in the conversation, even if you decide to do so in your gameplay. If someone chooses to not use a portion of the skills of their AC that is a valid, if inefficient, way to play their character. But to pretend they aren't there is to misrepresent the Guardian in a conversation about its role, and to choose to not use a portion of an AC's capabilities means the class has indeed been gimped, but not by anyone but the player.

I realize that for most people in MMOs the definition of effectiveness for any class in PvP except healers is "more DPS", but this, thankfully so, is not the case in SWTOR. You are correct to say that Guardian is subpar in DPS, but incorrect to assert that such an imbalance in DPS equals ineffectiveness. If your only interest is being the best at DPS in PvP, I strongly encourage you to be something other than Guardian, as its articulated role and skills make it clear that it is not a pure DPS class and will therefore always do less DPS than the classes that are.

tl;dr: BioWare has shown through their descriptions and provided skills that they do not intend Sentinels and Guardians to be able to DPS at an equal level.

• If you want DPS, go Sentinel.
  • If you want a combination of DPS and support, go Guardian.
  • If you want Guardian to do pure DPS on par with Sentinel... well, you'll probably need to develop a new game.

Good read m8 but let me tell you something, what you said here should be expected to happen with any class but sadly that's not the case.. a commando with its dps tree, makes more damage than a gunslinger which is a pure dps class. Gunslinger makes a quicker work of its opponents but at the end of a WZ both classes makes dps with a difference of 5% of each other and if this is a fact, it should be expected from each class when you select dps tree.

BTW i have never said guardians doesn't do damage, i only said that when a dps tree selected, guardians become unefficient and unsuccesful on the battleground which shouldn't happen.