Sin Tanking Stats

kdibuz

I just started Tanking on my Sin couple weeks now. Hated Jug tanking. But i noticed im taking a lot of dmg on HM Ec, and idk if its my mitigation. and i think i might be a little off on some of my stats where i wont be so squishy

my stats are -

Def-28.19%(423)(no stim)

Shield-44.52%(534) - DW <64.52%>

Absorb- 59.22%(543)

i use a lot of Absorb augments, and 2-3 Fort augments. Just want anyone advice on some help, will be appreciated :)

I just started Tanking on my Sin couple weeks now. Hated Jug tanking. But i noticed im taking a lot of dmg on HM Ec, and idk if its my mitigation. and i think i might be a little off on some of my stats where i wont be so squishy

my stats are -

Def-28.19%(423)(no stim)

Shield-44.52%(534) - DW <64.52%>

Absorb- 59.22%(543)

i use a lot of Absorb augments, and 2-3 Fort augments. Just want anyone advice on some help, will be appreciated :)

For 61 gear thats about optimal, for a mitigation build. Your sin is much more spiky not so much squishy compared to your juggy. Key to the sin is learning when to use your CD's. Toths jump always force shroud, tanking SC i tend to use force shroud right after getting back on the tank b/c sometimes the healer has los issues and its also the biggest burst he seems to hit with. But it's time for me to leave work... im sure Kitru or Keyboardninja will be on here to give you advice soon they are very helpful.

Edited by wetslampigduex

whats the difference between Spiky - Squishy? and that maybe what im not used too, is when i should use my CD's and when i shouldnt. my guild is new but we got to Kephess in EC HM in 2 weeks. i usually tank FB, and have the jug dps taunt the INC armor. and we use the Mechanic of toth and Zorn of being in Enraged the entire Fight. But alright thank you for the tip.

Every little thing will help :p

There are a lot of little things that compile together here in your situation.

Things like tanking style, the particulars of the bosses in question, etc.

I'll agree that your gear is pretty much good. There are a few little things that " I " would do differently but they are minor and mostly based around personal pref.

I have found in my experiences and in using the spread sheets that I get better results when my stats are balanced. Instead of 423/534/543....I would shift to along the lines of 500/500/500-ish ( never that perfect, but you get the idea). You still have the same amount of rating, just distributed evenly. The spread-sheets say this lessens the impact of DR. Based on my hands-ons juggling and testing, I would agree to that statement. Because your overall numbers are on the higher end, I'm assuming you are using the static defense or shield relics. I prefer proc & on-use relics. The math says there is not much difference between the two. having used both, I prefer my proc/use... It plays better for ME and the way I play.

Granted, some things you just have no control over. Sin's are going to take a bit more abuse than other tanks in certain fights...it's just the mechanics.

Another thing to think about (and this is more Zen than anything). Look at the names...

JUGGERNAUT. That screams of this beastly creature that is just unstoppable no matter how hard you hit it.

ASSASSIN. I kinda gives this picture of finesse and subtly.

Jugs are in heavy armor and designed to withstand the baddest of the bad that any baddie can throw at him.

Sins are in light armor and use a more active mitigation proccess thru self healing and stuff. So play style has a big effect. Timing that Overcharge Saber while you have a CD rolling, or waiting that extra GCD or two before burning that 3 stack with Force Lightning for the self heal.

TLDR: Your gear is fine. You prolly just need to get used to the "art" of Sin tanking after having played a Jug.

I don't agree with the 500/500/500 thing at all. It tends to work out in such a fashion, but... in bastardized Campaign/ Dread Guard gear I'm sitting at:

24754 health w/ Buff/ Stim.

Defense 520 (with Rakata Stim, so like... 474) 30.20%

Shield 743 - 50.43%

Absorb 523 - 58.54% (gotta fix a mod and like 2 enhancements)

You only really want up to like 26k if you're doing 16 man content, otherwise Mitigation > HP > Main Stat/ Power > Accuracy (which you should have non of).

Sin Tanks are by nature supposed to be Spikier than the other Tanks in terms of damage, the trade off for that is the 20% Shield buff we get and our 2k heal every 15 seconds (I was lucky and managed to to get two TkTs or FL's within 4 globals of each other, was nice). The way you balance the damage and heals is by getting your priority queue down solid and know when to pop your defensives.

Edited by BlznSmri

all of that was great info, it really does help. I'm still wondering when i should use FS and Deflection n the OS. so i wont be taking so much dmg. i always knew Sin's would take a beating worse then a PT or Jug. But whats the difference being squishy and spiky. I've read up on forums with mitigation, and how sin tanking is different then PT&Jug.

My guild got to Keph in EC HM in 2 weeks, and i switched from healing to tanking. I'm wondering if i need to increase my Def % a little more or what? like i said any advice or tip is helpful :)

Simple way of putting it is if the damage you're taking causes a Pink-ish number to fly above your head, it's F/T so use Shroud. If it's Red, Deflection.

You really need to know what kind of damage you're going to be expecting during each phase of the fight to really get an idea of the damage you're going to be taking.

THe difference between spiky and squishy.. If you watch a PT(best example) they are always taking incoming damage small predicable chunks of health always coming off because of the almost 2k more armor rating and very little defense. With a sin whos wearing light armor and his defense chance much higher than the PT you'll see periods of time where you are talking no damage dodging 7,8,9 attacks in a row then bam you get smashed for 9,10,11k then back to nothing. That same hit on a PT is going to hit him for may be 4,5,6 k. he take smooth predictable dmg and you don't pretty much. If you check your logs on the sin with the stat your describing i'm willing to bet most of the incoming attacks your dodging 70% or more of most of the incoming attacks.

I never tend to upload tanking logs but here's one from my sin check Damage Taken Broken Down by Action in the Foreman crusher fight http://www.torparse.com/a/70308/19/0/Overview.

i cant find a tanking parse on my powertech ill see if i can find one when i get home.

Yeah, me and the other tank is a PT and we were looking at my logs, compared to his. I saw the spiky-ness of a Sin tank , and his of his smoothness. I saw i didnt take nothing for awhile n them boom a big hit n then small hits, then nothing and so on. But i guess there isnt much that i can do, due to that. But i thank you all for the help and tips (: