Feedback request from James Ohlen - Group Finder

StephenReid

What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?  

3,234 members have voted

1. 1. What part of a Group Finder feature is most important to you?

• Forming a group for Operations
    • Forming a group for Flashpoints
    • Forming a group for Heroic Missions
    • Forming a group for something else
    • No preference/all of the above

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another night of lfg for hm to no avail... can't believe it even in an average of 150 ppl in fleet i still can't find a grp for a lvl 50 hm as a healer. If it is only server lfg i will pity those in low population server. 150 is already a problem can't imagine those with 40-60 ppl.

It still amazes me how so many people seem to believe that

Group Finder + Cross Server searching = EVIL MAGIC = nobody talks anymore or joins guilds.

It's like the MMO equivilent of superstition.

"My mother used to tell us stories at night...terrible stories...of soldiers who went off to fight in Cross Server Group Finders and then came back changed men...they didn't talk anymore...they became trolls!"

Quoted for the truth. :ph_win:

The top of my wish list is a flash point group finder. When the game launched finding a group for a flash point was not overly difficult, however now while leveling alts up finding a group for flash points is nearly impossible. While I see the development is focusing on same server group finder, honestly with populations spread out across so many servers with various levels of population I would like to see the group finder be cross server. Look to Rift for a more recent addition to a group finder. They were able to put in a cross server system fairly early after launch that seemed to work pretty well. I think that a couple things need to happen. Merge servers if you want to keep things limited to a single server finder only because it seems the way populations are spread out now even doing a single server finder will not resolve the issue with finding people to run flash points. Maybe merging servers will increase the pool of players looking for group, otherwise it seems a cross server tool will ultimately be better to increase chances of finding groups at various levels for flash points.

Leveling up my alts I am getting frustrated. I prefer to play in groups...its part of the whole social aspect of a MMO. I like working in a team to complete objectives. Currently doing heroic 4 missions is impossible and generally you drop those missions because you can rarely find a group to do them. Flash points are fun...they have a progression that is enjoyable if you have limited time to play instead of solo questing and feeling alone in such a large universe. I would rather log in, use a group tool to run a flash point or two than wonder around completing the same solo quest over and over.

A group finder right now that is server specific will not resolve issues on servers with moderate or low populations. So either a server merge is needed to consolidate populations first, or the tool needs to be made to cross servers ala Rift for example.

Another night of lfg for hm to no avail... can't believe it even in an average of 150 ppl in fleet i still can't find a grp for a lvl 50 hm as a healer. If it is only server lfg i will pity those in low population server. 150 is already a problem can't imagine those with 40-60 ppl.

I hear you. My Imperial server consistently has about 150-170 on fleet (though I hear Republic on that server is non-existent). Sometimes groups are readily available, but too often they are not. I logged on my Republic server last night to check in with the guild there. That server still only has 40-50 people on fleet at peak times and Imperial side is about the same. Most of my guild there has quit the game or rerolled somewhere else. Sad really, it was a very fun guild with some great people in it. We just couldn't seem to find one night that worked for all and we only had two raid nights where we actually had 8 people. Both nights were successful and very fun, but still some of the 50's left due to understandable impatience with the lack of regular raiding. As new 40's leveled up, someone else would leave (again, for understandable reasons). If just a few of the 50's would have been patient for just a couple more weeks, I think we MIGHT have been ok.

Some people would say "Well you had 7 people for your raid. When you didn't get that last dps you could have formed a 4 man HM!" That's true, of course, but it would have been only one group. Which 3 do I say 'sorry charlie' too? We did our best to be fair, but is it really right to tell 3 people to wait 2 hours for their turn? We still gave it a try, of course, but still the 3 almost never found that one more dps (what other MMO has trouble finding DPS?!?!?)

A x-realm LFD tool would have been a lifesaver for that Republic guild of great people. People think a x-realm tool will kill the community. I would say, based on my experience (from WoW and the above example in TOR), that NOT having one is doing FAR more harm to the community!

I definitely think that having a Group Finder tool would make it much easier/faster to bring full groups together.

I beg of you to keep it limited to the server the character who is using it is on. Beg you. From the depths of my heart and soul and in the name of everything holy.

Cross server Group Finder tools are by and far horrible. You end up in groups with people who you are most likely never, ever going to be grouped up with again, and these people know it. They act like complete, cruel idiots, I've been cussed out up one side and down the other, had dozens of horrible experiences with the bad behaviour that this kind of cross server anonymity provides.

Community is a HUGE factor in games like SWTOR, Rift, WoW, Aion, etc... the moment you take community away, it ruins everything. And sadly, it's not the fault of the Group Finder, it's the fault of the players that take advantage of it and use it to purposely abuse other players.

If you DO make this Group Finder tool Cross server, I'd LOVE to see some kind of 'rating' system, so that if a particular player acts like a completely inappropriate screwball, the other players in the group will be able to give that player 'black marks' that will count against them in the future, that other players will either be able to see, (So they know at the get go if they're dealing with a polite human being, or a degenerate troll), or perhaps, will give players with a lot of black marks a longer queue time, etc.

Currently, Group Finder tools have no consequences, only perfect anonymity, allowing, and even encouraging players to treat other players badly. This needs to stop, and/or be kept to a minimum.

I've encountered similar experiences and I agree with what you're saying. But I'm a little concerned about your solution. I can see how black marks could get out of hand. Perhaps, instead, a system could be implemented that allowed you a thumbs-up or thumbs-down check box for each player in the group. Then, the LFG algorithm could apply higher probability or preference to group you with players on your "thumbs-up" list, and would only group you with players on your "thumbs-down" list as a last resort. Additionally, when the "group ready" box appears, it could indicate that someone on your "thumbs-down" list is in the group and give you the option to decline the invite.

Just a thought.

Priority should go to the flashpoints, though all would be nice eventually and here's why:

I play this game, and other MMOs, to experience the story (which sadly means I dislike most MMOs). A large chunk of the story content is in the flashpoints, and for all the reasons people have already mentioned it's exceedingly difficult for me to get to see that content. Whatever you decide to do, and however you choose to implement it, your guiding principle should be something along the lines of "how can we allow our subscribers to experience the story?" As an example, if I've outleveled a flashpoint, please let me still que up for that one (I had to wait till I was 10 levels over Maelstrom Prison so I could solo it just to see who the "jedi prisioner" was).

As a side note, I'm going to throw my hat in with the cross-server crowd. I'm usually surprised when I see more then 40 people on fleet on my server - how useful will a single server group finder tool really be with such a low population? If I'm still waiting an hour or more for a group, what has really changed?

While groups for Heroics would be nice, I'm going to throw my vote in for flashpoints, and this is why.

Heroics take place on a planet. While I'm asking for a group for Heroics in chat, I can be doing side quests or my class quests. I'm not really losing any time while trying to find a group for them.

Flashpoints, however, are on the fleet (or Ilum, but that's a minor issue). If I want to ask for flashpoint groups, I have to be on the fleet. Since there's nothing I can do on the fleet for XP while looking for a group, I am actually wasting time that could be spent leveling.

No LFG TOOL!! This is just one more step closer to the utter laziness and insular nature that ruins MMo's. people HAVE to mix, talk and generally mingle for an MMo to flourish, Listening to these WoW QQers will only further render the game pointless, may as well ge play Dragon Age Origins......DO something original Bioware, as in DONT pander to the WoW QQers!!. Edited by Redat

So what are those 150 people doing? Standing around doing nothing? Something isnt making sense in your post. Those are the same numbers I get in my fleet and there are HM LFG's popping up all the time.

Either:

A) This is some brand new server I never heard about and most are still leveling.

B) It wasnt really 150 people.

or

C) Youre blacklisted for any number of reasons by most players after a few months of ninja'ing for pets/bad healing/ bad attitude/trolling/etc.

In either case, there is a much bigger problem going on than a missing LFG tool if 150 of mostly lvl 50 players dont want to do any of the end game content available to them.

why are we having to take a poll on something that should already be in the game? Whats next a poll on chat boxes? Come on guys get you bleep together this is a bit embarassing thread by the time you get this in most people will be que in gw2 group finder and other. Even piece of crap lotro has one it took them 5 years lmao but maybe you can beat them shrug..shakes head

Most of the people looking on my server anyway post looking for ev must have this gear set and have done this before and you must have vent/ts/mumble and you must be this and that.

Funny thing is see most people cant do bt (black talon) more then end game lol. On my server anyways

So what are those 150 people doing? Standing around doing nothing? Something isnt making sense in your post. Those are the same numbers I get in my fleet and there are HM LFG's popping up all the time.

Either:

A) This is some brand new server I never heard about and most are still leveling.

or

C) Youre blacklisted for any number of reasons by most players after a few months of ninja'ing for pets/bad healing/ bad attitude/trolling/etc.

In either case, there is a much bigger problem going on than a missing LFG tool if 150 of mostly lvl 50 players dont want to do any of the end game content available to them.

Either:

or

Eh... you can try coming to harbringer which is the server i am in and see for yourself. And really to be honest i don't know what are this ppl doing other then seeing them hogging the Auction house or just standing there with they shiny gadget or dancing. Really i don't know what is happening. And i am not in anyones black list :( so sad that this is how u accuse ppl before seeing the situation.

Anyway i was doing my dailies in dark hole just now again can't find a grp to finish EOT :( and my friend and i was discussing why is a new zone so empty so fast??

Anyway i was doing my dailies in dark hole just now again can't find a grp to finish EOT :( and my friend and i was discussing why is a new zone so empty so fast??

Its pretty damn inconvenient to get to the black hole. Firstly getting to any planet is relatively inconvenient in this game due to load screens / travel etc. But for the black hole especially - first you have to go through the usual process of getting to your ship/map/planet, and the correllia planet load screen is by far one of (if not the) longest. Once ur there you then have to go to the ship outside the spaceport and go through yet another load screen for no reason. If the black hole is an entirely separate zone to the planet then it should be able to be accessed entirely separately. Theres absolutely no sense to load the entire planet if correllia if we are then to completely un-load it and load a new zone. You have to then go through the entire process again (of loading correllia only to leave it for ur ship) when you want to leave (if u dont have fleet pass up).

The other reason is that once uve done the dailies that take ~30 mins theres no reason to stay there whatsoever. If they could make pvp worthwhile there and have a purpose/reward people might stay longer i suppose.

On topic, in my opinion the group finder NEEDS to be for ALL group content. (flashpoints, operations, pvp groups, questing, heroics, world bosses, any thing else). It also needs to be single-server only (at first, this can change if it is desparately required, but hopefully it wont be), and it needs to be accessable by everyone on the entire server wherever they are (so i can que for flashpoints while questing on a planet, or que for heroics on a planet while on the fleet etc).

If any of the above things dont happen then people will not use it all the time, and for the tool to be successful everyone needs to be using it whenever they want to group for everything... not just when they want to do a flashpoint.

Myself, I am very concerned about the future of the game and especially its community of players. I have been watching the introduction of WoW's LFG tool from the sideline and its effect on the interaction between players and its social implications. Everyone knows that it has been a key factor for a detrimental development which should be avoided for SWTOR. I am a firm believer in server communites and I was very pleased on Bioware's "old-school" attitude towards them.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of LFG improvement as the current system is of little use. Especially if someone would like to do a Flashpoint, there is no other effective way that to go to the fleet and spam the chat for a group. As posters above have stated, sitting around in Fleet LFG takes away from time you could be actively playing the game.

I would like to see *optional* cross-server queues for flashpoints and warzones. People should be able to pick if they want to queue up intra-server or cross-server. This way healthy populated servers can maintain a community while players on less populated servers can still experience content.

When picking potential group members, intra-server pool should have priority over cross-server. Also, players from other servers should have their origin server identifiable, e.g. via a [servername9 prefix in chat, much like it is done when you are communicating across instances of a planet. Finally - and this one is of great importance - players should be able to "ignore" other players for queues - if you misbehave one would be able to flag you and thus avoid to be matched with you.

Rather dont want a LFG system. Why? Because only thing you get is people staying in one place all the time and pushing one button all the time. But if LFG will come, and it will, server only then.

Its easy to see this game has a lot of the spoiled folks from Wow.

All they want is the lazy/easy thing from Wow.

If you want that --> Wow bye

Let this game dont become a Wow clone.

Edited by Gimixes