Frustrated crafter

GalenDurron

The crafting system in this game is extremely frustrating, and I'm not talking about way it's done, I'm talking about the reverse engineering prefix system. What has irked me recently is how I seem to constantly get "Redoubt" (defense stat) on cunning blasters. Defense is a tanking stat and there are no ranged tanking classes or ranged tanking companions that use cunning as a primary or even secondary stat. There is no good reason why it should be an available prefix on that kind of item. Sure some people may argue that "well defense will help keep them safe"...that's a poor argument and you know it. But say you're not swayed and you still think it's perfectly normal to have cunning and defense on a weapon, then take a look at this great example someone linked me not 20 minutes ago in general chat after I vented my frustration ingame. http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3443/screenshot2012050214250.jpg Take a look and then tell me if you honestly think that the prefix system is fine. Is it really to much to ask that the we only get prefixes that make sense for an item? Edited by GalenDurron

heh, it's called Options. people wanted alot of options, so there ya go. also, this may explain the Prefix thing a little better.

This is what you get going from green to blue, this is Blue stuff:

Prototype (Blue) Schematics have three Tier 1 prefixes available:

Redoubt: +35 Defense

Overkill: +35 Power

Critical: +35 Critical

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what you get for going Blue to Purple. This is Purple stuff:

Prototype (Blue) Redoubt (+35 Defense) - Reverse Engineers into:

Tier 2 Prefixes

- Anti-Armor (+40 Defense, +40 Surge)

- Exactitude (+40 Defense, +40 Accuracy)

- General's (+40 Defense, +40 Presence)

- Veracity (+40 Defense, +40 Shield)

- ?????? (+40 Defense, +40 Alacrity) (This is the missing Tier 2 Prefix)

Prototype (Blue) Critical (+35 Critical) - Reverse Engineers into:

Tier 2 Prefixes

- Endowment (+40 Critical, +40 Surge)

- Fervor (+40 Critical, +40 Accuracy)

- Leadership (+40 Critical, +40 Presence)

- Supremacy (+40 Critical, +40 Alacrity)

- Tempest (+40 Critical, +40 Shield)

Prototype (Blue) Overkill (+35 Power) - Reverse Engineers into:

Tier 2 Prefixes

- Commander (+40 Power, +40 Presence)

- Expert (+40 Power, +40 Surge)

- Hawkeye (+40 Power, +40 Accuracy)

- Rampart (+40 Power, +40 Shield)

- Vehemence (+40 Power, +40 Alacrity)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Holinyx

heh, it's called Options. people wanted alot of options, so there ya go. also, this may explain the Prefix thing a little better.

<Respectfully snipped>

I understand how it works and all the different prefixes, I never said that I didn't. You've completely missed the point. Take a gander at that link I posted, look at the item and the stats on it, you'll notice there is shield rating on it, but it is not a shield, and yet it fills the slot that a shield would go in, so the shield rating does nothing. Does that seem logical to you? That is the sort of thing I am talking about. (I really thought I was very clear in the OP...why does this always happen?)

Edited by GalenDurron

i do have a habit of not reading an entire post before hitting the Reply button lol. but yeah i do see where you are comming from with items like that. as a BH Merc i've also had to stare at mission rewards and say "i don't want alacrity and absorbtion !" i just chalk it up to "mmo's having wayyyy too many items in-game" and just throw that stuff on the GTN or vendor it. have you seen Artifice Enhancements for lvl 40+ ? lol they have like 70 different enhancements they can make for like level 42. it's insane how much useless stuff they have. ah well.

The crafting system in this game is extremely frustrating, and I'm not talking about way it's done, I'm talking about the reverse engineering prefix system. What has irked me recently is how I seem to constantly get "Redoubt" (defense stat) on cunning blasters. Defense is a tanking stat and there are no ranged tanking classes or ranged tanking companions that use cunning as a primary or even secondary stat. There is no good reason why it should be an available prefix on that kind of item. Sure some people may argue that "well defense will help keep them safe"...that's a poor argument and you know it. But say you're not swayed and you still think it's perfectly normal to have cunning and defense on a weapon, then take a look at this great example someone linked me not 20 minutes ago in general chat after I vented my frustration ingame. http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3443/screenshot2012050214250.jpg Take a look and then tell me if you honestly think that the prefix system is fine. Is it really to much to ask that the we only get prefixes that make sense for an item?

Agreed. I mentione this in another crafting thread. If I make an item that is clearly defensive in nature (i.e. high endurance, shield/absorb and defense base stats on the green version) why am I getting critical and overkill? If I wanted DPS armor I would be making the armor with higher strength, power and critical base stats.

It would be better if you got a token instead of a schematic and you could trade the token in for your choice of blue schematic. For ahwhile I keep getting overkill then critical first before I would get a redoubt. Really annoying waste of resources. Especially considering that schematic rate is more like 7%, not 20%. Why not just make it 1 blue schematic for every 5 greens? I hate randomness. I hate not being able to set a defined objective, get the exact amount of material you need and do it.

And the game is set up as if nobody could possiblty outlevel the content. I PvP alot. I can;t go into a WZ at lvl 40 with lvl 32 gear. But getting level appropriate materials in the necessary quantities requires me to use crew missions which at lvl 41-48 (tier 5) are no longer practical. So now I'm stuck making greens schematics only because it would take too much time and money to get blues. Purples were already out of the question in the lower levels so no lose there.

I know it's all RNG but sometimes I really think the game is coded to make you RE as much as possible.

I'm a Synthweaver so I'm only crafting force user armor. It seems I almost always get Redoubt with my first RE. After that I'll then get a Critical or Overkill.

RE'ing those Criticals and Overkills are even worse. I'd say that at least 80% of the time I'd then get an Accuracy, Shield, or Presence RE on the first and second RE.

It is. But this isn't bad by nature.

One, it keeps good recipes relatively rarer. Which is needed in order for it to be valuable for you to sell.

Two, you never know when something might be desireable for a companion or to meet a certain gear breakpoint/softpoint/cap either. Because of diminishing returns, you might only want a certain amount of defense and then perhaps some power (though more likely shield absorb, but this is a hypothetical) so the system provides a lot of flexibility.

It is. But this isn't bad by nature.

One, it keeps good recipes relatively rarer. Which is needed in order for it to be valuable for you to sell.

Two, you never know when something might be desireable for a companion or to meet a certain gear breakpoint/softpoint/cap either. Because of diminishing returns, you might only want a certain amount of defense and then perhaps some power (though more likely shield absorb, but this is a hypothetical) so the system provides a lot of flexibility.

I agree in theory, but sometimes it makes no sense. Like the image example I gave of the assault generator...it had shield rating but it wasn't a shield (and since it goes in the slot that either takes a generator or a shield, it's a useless stat). It's stuff like this that is the issue. What they need to do is make it so prefixes are restricted to specific items. Like, a cunning blaster should not get defense, a power generator should not get shield rating, etc.