Tanking The Terror From Beyond (Hard Mode)

Due to a shortage of raid personnel this week, I ended up tanking for my raid group (normally I heal) on my vanguard. I have healed this fight MANY times, so I understand the basics, but there was one little nuance that seems to have me stumped. Hoping to get an answer before we give it another go tonight (raid was called last night due to time constraints).

When I am tanking the TFB, I know that the other tank taunts once Scream begins casting. This way the other tank has the boss, and I get the Scream debuff. In order to clear the Scream debuff, our regular tanks jump off the platform (not sure if they walk or jump) and get "ported" back to the 1st platform. It's my understanding that this is a quicker method than traversing the 4-5 platforms individually. Problem is, when I tried this last night, I was killed by falling (heard myself do the yelling thing as I fell). How is this supposed to work? Am I supposed to drop off, jump off, what? And if so, which way do I fall off?

Any help is appreciated - We are going to try to finish up tonight before moving on to HM S&V.

Jumping off the platform with the Scream seems to result in death. I'm guessing that's intended to force you to run back, since jumping off *without* Scream is fairly reliable (we use that to clear the irregularities at start and behind the boss). Running back is pretty easy though. If you don't make any missteps, you should get back to your platform with about 5-10 seconds to spare (depending on tanking class).

Jumping off the platform with the Scream seems to result in death. I'm guessing that's intended to force you to run back, since jumping off *without* Scream is fairly reliable (we use that to clear the irregularities at start and behind the boss). Running back is pretty easy though. If you don't make any missteps, you should get back to your platform with about 5-10 seconds to spare (depending on tanking class).

KBN do you use phasewalk for this?

Also I got into trouble as I couldn't go to the platform to the left to eat the scream as there were DPS there killing the big orb, and I had to go right. Then only way back was through the spit, which isn't a good idea. I think phasewalk feels like better solution, but you loose healing buff and can only use it every second time.

By the way - I once used phasewalk on SM to avoid the spit just after 2.0 when I was learning new abilities and I got insta-killed - so it might be bugged the phasewalk on those platforms.

They probably drop spit on the inner raised platforms, and then egress to the outer back platforms for scream.

That means they have to tank high though, because the spit takes longer to despawn than the duration of a single tanking cycle.

Also, since 2.0, anomalies can spawn on the outer-ring platforms at the far left and right extremes, which means that any tanking there has the potential to be disrupted by anomaly killing. My group used to tank on the raised platforms between the tentacles, backing up to drop spit high and then going back down for the scream. We had to change this with 2.0 though, dropping spit on the unused tentacle platform, since we had a large number of instances where an anomaly would spawn on the platform with spit on it.

That means they have to tank high though, because the spit takes longer to despawn than the duration of a single tanking cycle.

Also, since 2.0, anomalies can spawn on the outer-ring platforms at the far left and right extremes, which means that any tanking there has the potential to be disrupted by anomaly killing. My group used to tank on the raised platforms between the tentacles, backing up to drop spit high and then going back down for the scream. We had to change this with 2.0 though, dropping spit on the unused tentacle platform, since we had a large number of instances where an anomaly would spawn on the platform with spit on it.

We found the same. Now I just end up tanking on the unused tentacle platforms and moving to the raised ones once the spit hits. It makes the whole thing remarkably easy. If the spit is still up when I pull the boss back I just remain on the raised one until the spit despawns and then move back to the unused tentacle platform.

I've never had a problem with jumping off the platform to get back to Home as a tank (you will hear your character yell as if you had died but end up at Home platform all safe and sound). HOWEVER, if you try and jump off the platform as SCREAM is being cast on you......it WILL insta-kill you. You have to wait on the platform and take scream first before jumping off the back of the platform.