The Jedi counsel in this game are just dumb.

Oddzball

So i made a new character, and set out to be the WORST jedi possible.

I did ALL the bad things, talked back as much as possible, MURDERED like 5 people before i even left tython.

And I still got to be a Jedi Knight.

Really? That crap would NEVER fly in the lore.

Heck at one point a student gets removed from the order for cheating on a test of willpower.

I murdered some folks in cold blood, and they just brush it off.

SECOND. You do not get to be a PADAWAN until AFTER you have a Jedi Knight take you under your wing. So the whole part with the JK where you dont get your Master till AFTER you have arrived at the temple and been doing several missions, is completely bunk.

Third.

Even though there are some crazy things going on, there is no WAY you could spend like a week in training and be declared a Jedi Knight. The whole story makes zero sense. Most Jedi were padawans for over 12 YEARS before they got to take the trials and be a Knight.

There is suppose to be a DEEP bond between master and padawan, but because of how quickly they promote you to Jedi Knight you don't get to develop any kind of bond with your master. Honestly I could care less about mine.

Finally. Why the hell do I have a training saber. Why did they even put this in the game. You get your saber roughly right after you receive sponsorship from a master to be their padawan. This is around age 13-14. (SGY)

No no no. You did the entire Padawan experience completely wrong. Who is the writer/s for this game again? We need to have a serious discussion.

Isnt it James Ohlen? Seriously James, you should be ashamed.

Ok, I've let out my pain and suffering on how they slaughtered the whole Jedi lore.... feel free to contribute to what you think about the Padawan experience.

The funny part is the Sith apprentice relationship is actually fairly accurate.

This is a game, not a book; things must change in order to be viable in this format.

Also, things change in times of war, it's 3000 years before your reference point, blah, blah, blah...

No it isn't. There are plenty of books around the TOR era.

Yeah, there's some suspension of disbelief necessary. I started a light side Sith Warrior and questioned and defied my masters at every turn. I picked all light side options, etc. Yet my character is still alive.

There's just not enough time to add TIME to the game. I wouldn't want to level for the game equivalent of 12 years before I was declared a Jedi. Hell, the Sith Inquisitor storyline has me going from a slave to

a member of the Dark Council

in what seems like days. But that's just how games work. I can't think of any game that doesn't bend time to its will.

I mean, take Final Fantasy, for example. Let's just go with one off the top of my head. In FFVIII, Rinoa is hanging from a balcony, and you, as Squall, have to HURRY AND SAVE HER RIGHT NOW. Except you can go check out the rest of Garden if you want to first, then take a nap in your room or go hang out in the Quad. You can head to your desk in the training room and read up on the game, or you can leave Garden entirely and go fight some monsters, all while Rinoa's life is on the line.

And then you make it back to save her JUST IN TIME.

If you paid attention when the game starts the Jedi who greets you talks about your past successes with other masters/teachers. You've been in training longer than you think and you came to the Jedi Temple to FINISH your training.

Besides...

When you get to your class ending if you're light you become a Jedi Master, but if you're dark Satelle tells you she can ignore it no longer and will NOT make you a Jedi Master.

Edited by TalkingDinosaur

No it isn't. There are plenty of books around the TOR era.

Even though Imo the first 10 levels of a Jedi/Sith should be TRAINING along and then then next 10 should be about getting your light saber. It would be a hard sell for the MMO market these days. Maybe a box game like the KotOR games. But with these games you got the feed the masses, which are impatient, e-peen stroking, "GIMMIE EPOCHS PL0ZER NOW OR I QUIT" type of people it had to be done like it is.

It's been well known for some time that the dark side stories Republic side are, for the most part, a total joke. It doesn't matter how evil or vile you are, your character is treated as a saint and a savior.

I think that's because it's not meant to be dark sided.

If you paid attention when the game starts the Jedi who greets you talks about your past successes with other masters/teachers. You've been in training longer than you think and you came to the Jedi Temple to FINISH your training.

Besides...

When you get to your class ending if you're light you become a Jedi Master, but if you're dark Satelle tells you she can ignore it no longer and will NOT make you a Jedi Master.

That is for Jedi Knight

for Consular it doesn't matter

Edited by Kanshan

Ok, I've let out my pain and suffering on how they slaughtered the whole Jedi lore.... feel free to contribute to what you think about the Padawan experience.

Feel better now?

I'm fine with the games approach to Jedi. Stop being a lore Nazi...... that is George Lucas job.

First, you dont just jump between masters.

You cant get to the temple, say you had other masters, then went to a new one.

A Padawan/Master relationship is pretty much a lifetime commitment. They don't go swapping Padawans around like trading cards.

Also, to whomever said they didnt want it to take 20 levels to get your lightsaber, you misread my post. A Jedi receives his first lightsaber(which he builds) roughly around the age of 13-14. You would already ave your lightsaber. The training sabers are for the "learners" IE kids before they receive a Master.

What i am talking about is the complete failure of SWTOR to convey the real relationship that should/does bound with a Master and their Padawan.

Realistically? Your Master should probably be a companion character, because they Should be mentoring you.

You basically get little to no mentoring with your master in this game.

now about being the biggest evil vile Jedi ever and still treated like a saint. This is very annoying.

The game has what I like to call the "Illusion of choice" IE no matter what you do, it all ends up the same. (Except apparently getting the master title)

Feel better now?

I'm fine with the games approach to Jedi. Stop being a lore Nazi...... that is George Lucas job.

I'm not a "Nazi" about lore. I have a problem with them COMPLETELY getting it wrong though. They failed on so many levels to convey what the commitment was to be a Jedi, and the Master/Padawan relationship that I honestly am incredibly disappointed.

Read my above post.

Half the players here probably couldnt even tell me the jedi code without googling it.

Edited by Oddzball

i agree with the folks upset about the butchered lore

but this is a game, they want you to feel important, that this is your story, that you are special.

you arent going to feel special if you are stuck as the caddy for 12+ years.

so yeah, for the game's sake, im more than willing to over look this.

Oh yeah its pretty much the same for LS sith you can crap talk your master and all that other stuff and they don't even force choke or shock you once not even once. I am surprised my LS sith still has not been hunted down as a heretic all I had was other sith going *** at my LS choices?

It was such a joke I just deleted the character and went back down the path of the dark side. :jawa_evil:

Edited by lokdron

So i made a new character, and set out to be the WORST jedi possible.

I did ALL the bad things, talked back as much as possible, MURDERED like 5 people before i even left tython.

And I still got to be a Jedi Knight.

Really? That crap would NEVER fly in the lore.

Heck at one point a student gets removed from the order for cheating on a test of willpower.

I murdered some folks in cold blood, and they just brush it off.

SECOND. You do not get to be a PADAWAN until AFTER you have a Jedi Knight take you under your wing. So the whole part with the JK where you dont get your Master till AFTER you have arrived at the temple and been doing several missions, is completely bunk.

Third.

Even though there are some crazy things going on, there is no WAY you could spend like a week in training and be declared a Jedi Knight. The whole story makes zero sense. Most Jedi were padawans for over 12 YEARS before they got to take the trials and be a Knight.

There is suppose to be a DEEP bond between master and padawan, but because of how quickly they promote you to Jedi Knight you don't get to develop any kind of bond with your master. Honestly I could care less about mine.

Finally. Why the hell do I have a training saber. Why did they even put this in the game. You get your saber roughly right after you receive sponsorship from a master to be their padawan. This is around age 13-14. (SGY)

No no no. You did the entire Padawan experience completely wrong. Who is the writer/s for this game again? We need to have a serious discussion.

Isnt it James Ohlen? Seriously James, you should be ashamed.

The funny part is the Sith apprentice relationship is actually fairly accurate.

The counsel has noticed they just recognize that they need you right now.

The Darkside ending proves this.

Oh yeah its pretty much the same for LS sith you can crap talk your master and all that other stuff and they don't even force choke or shock you once not even once. I am surprised my LS sith still has not been hunted down as a heretic all I had was other sith going *** at my LS choices?

It was such a joke I just deleted the character and went back down the path of the dark side. :jawa_evil:

No kidding. You would be dead in the blink of an eye for talking back to your master as a Sith. Dead or seriously beat the heck out of.

Honestly, they just shouldn't have let you be a lightside Sith or Darkside Jedi if there weren't going to be any realistic consequences for it.

No kidding. You would be dead in the blink of an eye for talking back to your master as a Sith. Dead or seriously beat the heck out of.

Honestly, they just shouldn't have let you be a lightside Sith or Darkside Jedi if there weren't going to be any realistic consequences for it.

You are a Darkside Jedi and the Jedi Council does not approve.

Your character has been expelled from the order and you are now homeless and living under a rock on Tatooine.

Player: BIOWAE CHANGE PLZ I DUNT LIKE MY DECIISIONS HAVIN CONSEKUNCES.

Bull *****, Revan had multiple teachers so my character can as well. I'm so tired of lore nazis thinking they have all the answers, point is George hasn't touched on this era and BW can have license to stretch the traditions and actions as much as they wish.

And anything you complain about the story is just because its scripted; in reality they would severely punish a DS padawan but that wouldn't make for a very fun MMO experience to have a game over at the start now would it?:rolleyes:

First, you dont just jump between masters.

You cant get to the temple, say you had other masters, then went to a new one.

A Padawan/Master relationship is pretty much a lifetime commitment. They don't go swapping Padawans around like trading cards.

As it's been said before, this is a different era than the movies and cartoons. "Padawan" is a rank in the Jedi Order. If, say, your master dies, you don't lose that rank you've attained; you'll keep it and take up with another Knight.

In the time of TOR (i.e. wartime), it really makes sense to assign padawans to various masters based on the masters' various areas of expertise. Forcing a padawan to remain with a scholar until he became a knight would likely have a detrimental effect on lightsaber skills. Similarly, pairing a padawan up with the temple battlemaster for his entire training cycle would probably be detrimental to growth outside the martial disciplines. It's quite possible that many padawans see multiple masters through their teens in order to experience the many jobs the Jedi Knights do, and then picking (or being selected for based on certain criteria) a specialization for their final years as padawans.

It also makes sense that there could be multiple padawans for knights, considering the losses inflicted in the previous war. One-on-one training doesn't produce the numbers needed to replenish the ranks quickly.

Edited by JacenHallis

Revan had different Masters, or at least he learned from different ones. He did go back to his original one in the end though. Dooku also was taught by Yoda even though his Master was Thame Cerulian - and that's in an era which is practically Pax Republicana, not the conflict riven time of SWTOR. So it's not out of the question to say that you trained with different people. Different viewpoints producing a more well-rounded student, etc etc.

The game wouldn't be interesting if Jedi were forced to only be light sided and Sith were forced to be dark sided. Not every sith was a crazed cold blooded murderer who would stop and kick a puppy just for s & g's. Why kill something if you can dominate it and bend it to your will? I can see a Sith being somewhat lightside, since it's up to each person to twist and interpret the code to suit his or her own agenda.

Black Talon- You're forced to do the bidding of Grand Moff Kilran to assault a republic ship and capture/kill a defector. A Typical Sith would kill the captain of the Black Talon and take over, but a smart Sith would see the value in keeping the Captain alive (ship morale would stay high, motivation to follow orders would stay high, betrayal is less likely to happen, you'd have someone who owes you favor later, etc...).

However, the Jedi code is strict and leaves little to no room for personal interpretation. Dark side Jedi would be cast out of the order shortly after the first infraction, or in extreme cases, be imprisioned.

I think it would be cool if they did boot you out, and then your game takes a different path back to 'switch teams' to the Imperials. Also could happen in the opposite direction too.

Could happen at set cross over points that then tie into the opposite sides story.

But anyways .. it is the way it is now ... unfortunately

It's probably because you have Force powers too. Play the Imperial Agent storyline and backtalk Darth Jadus. He is not a man to be effed with.

It's probably because you have Force powers too. Play the Imperial Agent storyline and backtalk Darth Jadus. He is not a man to be effed with.

I don't know why you would back talk the guy he is dam cool. :cool: My friends say when you do back talk him you come down with case called lightning. :D

Edited by lokdron

Be on the lookout for the next TOR Expansion!

Spend 12 years on your starter planet, learning the ways of the force like a true Jedi!

But be careful! One mistake and your character is bumped down to working in the library for the rest of his life!

:p