Subs down 25%

Sabilok

Can you blame people for feeling the game is dead? Seriously, they launched to 38 more countries, and still lose 400,000 players. If anything, this shows they still have way to many servers, which would make people feel like the SWTOR is a dying/dead game.

EA/Bioware needs to realize they need to get rid of servers, not offer free limited transfers and then charge for any other kind of transfer. They will keep on bleeding subscriptions if you do not fix the populations on their servers asap. I highly highly doubt they would lose as many people because they lost their characters name in a merge, then they are with not merging the servers. Bioware has lost nearly half of the people who have bought this game in 6 months, that isn't a good trend, they are bleeding subscriptions.

I'm just gonna leave this here for you since someone else already said it best:

38 new countries which aren't counted untill next quarter since the report counts the last 4 months and not 4 months in the future.

Atleast use common sense :rolleyes:.

Edited by Cmdluke

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you blame people for feeling the game is dead? Seriously, they launched to 38 more countries, and still lose 400,000 players. If anything, this shows they still have way to many servers, which would make people feel like the SWTOR is a dying/dead game.

Others have already pointed this out, but the 38 countries aren't included in this financial report. Duh.

EA/Bioware needs to realize they need to get rid of servers, not offer free limited transfers and then charge for any other kind of transfer. They will keep on bleeding subscriptions if you do not fix the populations on their servers asap. I highly highly doubt they would lose as many people because they lost their characters name in a merge, then they are with not merging the servers. Bioware has lost nearly half of the people who have bought this game in 6 months, that isn't a good trend, they are bleeding subscriptions.

This is before that launch and I agree, merges should come in the next few months, they will close them once people transfer from the dead servers, probably won't tell anyone though and how have they lost half? 1.7 to 1.3 mill is not half.

Alot of kool aid drinkers in this post I see. The game is dead and will be under a million subs within 3 more months. This is turning out to be the biggest flop in mmo history for the kind of money that poured into making it. It should have been so much more.

38 new countries which aren't counted untill next quarter since the report counts the last 4 months and not 4 months in the future.

Atleast use common sense :rolleyes:.

Quarter == 3 months. (not 4)

This is EA Fiscal Q4 so Jan, Feb and March.

New country sales not included in the count.

75% retention is not bad. Though given it's a Star Wars IP, 25% drop in sub seems rather steep. Star Wars sells.

i see this game losing a lot more subs, i guess we will wait and see, but i a not surprised, this game was not designed with true mmoers in mind

I see it starting to pick momentum back up with 1.3, 1.4 and of course transfers.

Given the state of the servers I was expecting a slightly larger drop, though 25% in a single quarter is still catastrophic and signals the beginning of the subscription free fall.

A robust cross server queue for all PVE content and server consolidations should have been their primary concerns for their first big patch (1.2), and it should have been published a month earlier. Oh well. By this time next year the game will be fighting for scraps with the rest of the MMO gutter trash, Bioware's MMO division will be dismantled in all but name, and they will never be the same after EA is done routing them.

Should make for some interesting news articles in the coming months, if nothing else.

Dead my ***.

Thats pretty dead.

You take the number, first subtract anyone with an active account that isn't actively playing, say, 10%? That seems fair. so 1,170,000 active players.

Take the remainder, spread it across every server (123 in NA, 45 in Europe, and 3 more for the Aussies). 171 servers, if divided equally...6842 active players per server.

then spread that across a 24 hour day.....average of 285 players on in a given hour, not counting for peak hour spikes or early morning hour drops.

So, on average, using generous estimates, 285 players are online, per server, per hour. Thats pretty damn dead.

Feel free to test that number against your server during peak hours, should be pretty darn close.

Edited by JediZenn

And this is after they launched in 38 new countries.

Ouch.

Most of which are still in the 30 free day grace period so they wouldnt' be considered par tof the active subscriber count for this quarter's report.

But...they said subs were fine...it was just that we all weren't online at like the exact same time any more...:confused:

In what world ISN'T 1.3 million subs good? Most MMOs would LOVE to have as many subs as SWTOR lost, lol. There are only two MMOs (possibly 3) that have subs over 1 million (talking NA). SWTOR and WoW.

I'm just gonna leave this here for you since someone else said it best:

Last time there was a sub number stated it was as of the day the report was made, the 1.7 million subscribers was as of the day it was the report was made, not as of the end of december. So there is no reason to believe they wouldn't state the subscribers as is now.

Even then, losing 700,000 subscribers in 6 months is huge when looking at the number of servers. The facts are still there, there is way to many servers, and they literally need to drop servers, otherwise they will still keep on bleeding subscriptions.

Alot of kool aid drinkers in this post I see. The game is dead and will be under a million subs within 3 more months. This is turning out to be the biggest flop in mmo history for the kind of money that poured into making it. It should have been so much more.

You have lost, just admit this game is not doomed, it is the second most successful MMO launch ever, and probably has the best retention rate since Warcraft.

What I think is that 1.3 million subs is still pretty amazing. SWTOR has easily recouped its development costs, and all money now goes to operation and profit.

Yah i thought maybe around 700k ish they have retained,this is very good news for BW imo,for instance lets be conservative and as it stands right now they have a million sub base,i cannot recall any other mmo's that retained that number after release for six months to a year,i might be mistaken but i cant recall any.

Edited by Sathid

1.3 million subs, yet half of their entire north american server cluster is DOA and next to impossible to play on.

My server never has more then 500 people online concurrnetly. Off hours it barely hit 200.

How does that happen exactly? Oh wait, I know. About half of their customers are on borrowed time this month.

I don't hate this game or want it to fail, but right now, until they wipe half of these servers and get us all onto primetime heavy pop servers, it might as well be failing. It is for me. This is no fun.

Oh do dailies I can solo and...

Edited by islander

so whats these 2 new expansions that it mentions

1.3 and 1.4 or 2 new expansions ?

The company also expects to release more expansion content for “Star Wars” this year — including two expansion packs in the current quarter.

Your guess is as good as mine. But I suspect it's 1.2 and 1.3 content patches. But reporting them as "expansion packs" to the investors is a blatant lie, IMHO.

Last time there was a sub number stated it was as of the day the report was made, the 1.7 million subscribers was as of the day it was the report was made, not as of the end of december. So there is no reason to believe they wouldn't state the subscribers as is now.

Even then, losing 700,000 subscribers in 6 months is huge when looking at the number of servers. The facts are still there, there is way to many servers, and they literally need to drop servers, otherwise they will still keep on bleeding subscriptions.

2 million box sales=/=1.7 million active subs after free trial.

You have lost, just admit this game is not doomed, it is the second most successful MMO launch ever, and probably has the best retention rate since Warcraft.

^^this

They just can't accept that it is successful. They don't like it, so it must be doomed, lol.