My Saboteur Build (aka Boomslinger)

Nayab

What do people think of my Gunslinger Saboteur build? While I like Charged Burst, I don't think it's as useful on a Saboteur as on a Sharpshooter, so I don't have Hot Pursuit or Pandemonium. I don't have Cool Under Pressure because healing 6% of your total health over 3 seconds just doesn't seem extremely useful to me. This is my first MMO, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I chose Cover Screen, Riot Screen, and Hotwired Defences to increase my survivability, and No Holds Barred and Sharpshooter for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering how much 4% alacrity is worth though. 4% faster casting time hardly sounds noticeable to me. Is it one of those skills for intense PvPers? Should I take points out of anything for Black Market Mods?

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::f8ef25ef2efefe2f2e14

That's my build.

What do people think of my Gunslinger Saboteur build? While I like Charged Burst, I don't think it's as useful on a Saboteur as on a Sharpshooter, so I don't have Hot Pursuit or Pandemonium. I don't have Cool Under Pressure because healing 6% of your total health over 3 seconds just doesn't seem extremely useful to me. This is my first MMO, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I chose Cover Screen, Riot Screen, and Hotwired Defences to increase my survivability, and No Holds Barred and Sharpshooter for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering how much 4% alacrity is worth though. 4% faster casting time hardly sounds noticeable to me. Is it one of those skills for intense PvPers? Should I take points out of anything for Black Market Mods?

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/smuggler/gunslinger/#::f8ef25ef2efefe2f2e14

That's my build.

Hey Nayab hopefully I can help you out a bit. Overall the spec you provided looks pretty good however there are a couple things I would change that would increase your dps and still provide an ample amount of survivability.

First of all I'm assuming that your build is for end game pve, so if it's not just ignore me :D.

I see 6 points that you can flat out drop, you can drop the points in cover screen, sapping charge, and Saboteur's utility belt. I could also argue to drop the extra endurance (underworld hardships). Cover screen is okay but there are better options to increase your dps and still maintain good survivability. Sapping charge is more of a PvP talent as it slows the movement speed of the target. If you need to slow a target use leg shot which doesn't need to be talented into. Utility belt is also more of a pvp talent but with some pve utility. The CDs it lowers is a stun (flash grenade) and one of the saboteur's lower dps abilities (thermal grenade, only by three seconds). While these aren't bad to talent into they can be spent in better talents.

Check this Sab Build out here. I think that cool under pressure is great to talent into here. One of our main abilities (Sabotage) instantly ends the cooldown of cool head when it is used. Essentially when you talent into cool under pressure you are getting a 6% heal every minute which I think is more useful than 6% to ranged defense when leaving cover. As far as alacrity goes don't worry about talenting for the extra 4%, as of now it doesn't seem to be that great for a smuggler as most of our abilities are instant or no longer than 1.5s.

Hope this helps at least a little :)

Edited by Smiego-Wan

Thanks a lot for your input! I'll probably play some PvP occasionally, but I'll mostly be focussing on PvE. I totally forgot about Leg Shot too. I can see how Shock Charge, Sabotage, and then Cool Under Pressure would be a lot more useful than Cover Screen (but that's 20% ranged defence for 6 seconds, not 6% ranged defence). Edited by Nayab

Thanks a lot for your input! I'll probably play some PvP occasionally, but I'll mostly be focussing on PvE. I totally forgot about Leg Shot too. I can see how Shock Charge, Sabotage, and then Cool Under Pressure would be a lot more useful than Cover Screen (but that's 20% ranged defence for 6 seconds, not 6% ranged defence).

Right you're correct on the 20% rather than 6%, so if your playstyle suits you not using the hot pursuit feel free to toss those 2 points back into cover screen. One is a slight survivability improvement the other is a slight dps improvement.

I think that's a decent build and with the changes that Smiego-Wan mentioned you will do well. It is a matter of personal preference and how well it meshes with your play style after all.

I got a Slinger/Sab to 26th during the Thanksgiving beta and had a lot of fun. I did have some points in a few skills that you chose not to and that's all good, as I said its a matter of your personal play style.

I personally though would put points in hot pursuit. Its a good skill to have weather its pvp or pve and here's why. Maxed out at 2 points it give's you 100% chance to fire off charged burst when you exit cover and as you may or may not know its one of our burst dps skills. Having the ability to use it on the fly when your forced to leave cover is very useful to maintain dps.

Here's one example:

In some boss fights you will have to move from cover when you are targeted by a aoe attack that will in all likely hood eat up a good chunk of hps. Having it up will allow you to do some good dps for a moment while you relocated and get back into cover. Now as I mentioned its all a matter of personal preference and play style.

I for example am still on the fence about going mostly Sab with a few points in DF or going sab/df hybrid, which with a casual glance looks like it will complement each other fairly well. That's just my 2 cents and hope it helped ya out a bit :)

Hey Nayab hopefully I can help you out a bit. Overall the spec you provided looks pretty good however there are a couple things I would change that would increase your dps and still provide an ample amount of survivability.

First of all I'm assuming that your build is for end game pve, so if it's not just ignore me :D.

I see 6 points that you can flat out drop, you can drop the points in cover screen, sapping charge, and Saboteur's utility belt. I could also argue to drop the extra endurance (underworld hardships). Cover screen is okay but there are better options to increase your dps and still maintain good survivability. Sapping charge is more of a PvP talent as it slows the movement speed of the target. If you need to slow a target use leg shot which doesn't need to be talented into. Utility belt is also more of a pvp talent but with some pve utility. The CDs it lowers is a stun (flash grenade) and one of the saboteur's lower dps abilities (thermal grenade, only by three seconds). While these aren't bad to talent into they can be spent in better talents.

Check this Sab Build out here. I think that cool under pressure is great to talent into here. One of our main abilities (Sabotage) instantly ends the cooldown of cool head when it is used. Essentially when you talent into cool under pressure you are getting a 6% heal every minute which I think is more useful than 6% to ranged defense when leaving cover. As far as alacrity goes don't worry about talenting for the extra 4%, as of now it doesn't seem to be that great for a smuggler as most of our abilities are instant or no longer than 1.5s.

Hope this helps at least a little :)

Saboteur is the mirror of Engineer, I think. I want an Engineer but I am leveling my IA as an Op. May be I will try the set on Republic side.

Would your build be good in PvP?

Saboteur is the mirror of Engineer, I think. I want an Engineer but I am leveling my IA as an Op. May be I will try the set on Republic side.

Would your build be good in PvP?

Yes, I think you're correct in that the mirror to Saboteur is Engineer.

As far as the above build being good for PvP, the answer is not really, it focuses much more on doing dps in a PvE setting. I'd recommend building a spec based on the dirty fighting tree for PvP. If you want to use the saboteur tree for PvP you could use the above one as a start but swap out some talents for better CC or anti CC talents such as Saboteur's utility belt or Sapping charge.

Edited by Smiego-Wan

I think that's a decent build and with the changes that Smiego-Wan mentioned you will do well. It is a matter of personal preference and how well it meshes with your play style after all.

I got a Slinger/Sab to 26th during the Thanksgiving beta and had a lot of fun. I did have some points in a few skills that you chose not to and that's all good, as I said its a matter of your personal play style.

I personally though would put points in hot pursuit. Its a good skill to have weather its pvp or pve and here's why. Maxed out at 2 points it give's you 100% chance to fire off charged burst when you exit cover and as you may or may not know its one of our burst dps skills. Having the ability to use it on the fly when your forced to leave cover is very useful to maintain dps.

Here's one example:

In some boss fights you will have to move from cover when you are targeted by a aoe attack that will in all likely hood eat up a good chunk of hps. Having it up will allow you to do some good dps for a moment while you relocated and get back into cover. Now as I mentioned its all a matter of personal preference and play style.

I for example am still on the fence about going mostly Sab with a few points in DF or going sab/df hybrid, which with a casual glance looks like it will complement each other fairly well. That's just my 2 cents and hope it helped ya out a bit :)

Hot Persuit isn't that great actually. Yes you can use it outside of cover. But it is still a 1.5 sec cast. Since dropping back into cover( or dropping a new cover shield) doesn't have a gcd, you might as well do that and talented with Snap Shot charged burst is an instant cast. If they will implement macros, it would be a no brainer anyway.

You could make it make more useful if you consistently use cover before engaging in combat. And with that I mean trigger the "snap shot"as much as possible outside combat so you can in certain situations start with an instant uncovered charged burst right away. But mostly you would start with a Sabotage Charge anyway first from cover, to ignite it with an instant Charged Burst afterwards to do high burstdmg.

Edited by Bivaccus