Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

AlexModny

Who cares about the 'good' players or the emotionally wounded lovers lol!? I care about me! I definitely support another objective heavy warzone. Maybe a moving objective warzone like Headquarters in Call of Duty for example. Where a specific point is highlighted and players have to cap it via novarre coast capping and control it for a certain amount of time. First time to have their control tally reach say 5 minutes wins the game. So pretty much a moving king of the hill game.

Edit: I can go into more details in a few. Just cooking something right now lol.

Edited by Rasen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to think a little bit more about a new WZ, but one idea that I did have would be a really easy way to for the top PVP guilds to play, get back to non arena "ranked" and face off against new teams.

The simple way is to keep the PTS open specifically as a PVP zone. That way all the top guilds could have their players in 4 man premades against other top teams. They'd queue for regs and it would lead to Huttball, Voidstar, Novare, and Alderaan battles. The pros are a way to kind of bring back 8v8 ranked and have cross-server queues of talented players. It would be a really easy way for Bioware to make a PVP league of 4 man teams

There are several downsides though:

PTS gear wipes, removal of top players from existing server warzones, team comps from 4 man limit on queuing, long ping for certain geographies, lack of consumable/gear market on the GTN on the PTS

One idea that I did have for a new WZ would be to recreate the old Ilum days in a WZ. I guess in some ways this is a hybrid between Hypergate and Novare. Multiple forts that need to be captured and each fort gives a bonus to points. Incorporate the missiles from Old Ilum as the resources needed to be gathered. Don't know how to make the mechanics work, but an icy setting with a nod to old Ilum would be fun.

A deathmatch would be cool, but I can see significant downsides. What I mean here is each person gets three respawns and it's battle royale with the last survivor standing getting the win. The downside is if you die 3 times early you have to wait a long time so that means it's probably not viable. Maybe there is a way to mitigate by sending people who have died three times to a smaller side map to fight for something else. Not very helpful I know :)

Another idea would be something like a DPS race, I originally was thinking about infernal council. Potentially each team has a giant robot with a large HP pool. You have to run to the opposing robot and DPS it down. Robots can be healed by your team. You have a strategic choice, DPS the opposing robot or DPS the opposing team. Healers have to make a similar choice. Maybe there is a way Tanks can contribute protection to the robot, not sure. First team to dps the robot down wins, but you can slow the opposing team by killing their players and forcing them to respawn. Maybe put this in a Balmorra Robot Factory.

Another idea I had is stolen from the trenches of EC. Long trench filled with nasty adds. First team to get their whole team through the trench wins. In the trench you have to fight off the NPCs and the opposing team.

Last idea for now. Giradda's Barge. Inspiration from ROTJ. Two sail barges above a Sarlacc pit and a third neutral barge. Maybe a third neutral zone barge below. Each barge has one channeler who must stay channeled having the barge gun pointing at the neutral barge. The home barge is inhospitable because of blowing sand, but the channeled gun is protected. Each team has a short window on respawn to get out of the sand before taking damage. Kills on the neutral barge or knock offs into the sarlacc pit give your team points. The gun is like the turret in Kaon and does energy damage at a high rate. Your team can also take a risky approach of charging the opposing barge and shutting down their turret temporarily which gives an advantage in mid. I'm sure you guys could improve on this idea, but you potentially not have permanent sand and just make it intermittent on the home barges. The idea is to force action at mid and not give points on the home turret to differentiate from hypergate, so protecting home is less important although giving brief windows of opportunity to attack might be good.

Hello Warzone Aficionados!

We are starting our pre-production (ideation stage, if you are into buzzwords) for the next Warzone and we want to get your ideas for a new Warzone!

We have a few ideas (even got a few prototypes on the backburner) on what we would like to do and what we *think* you would like but we want to hear your ideas before we move forward with a design!

Remember when you post, the more information the better. Layout pictures and descriptions always help, some of us are visual learners =P Think about and post your thoughts on how will the scoring work? What is the goal for each player? Will some players have different goals? How can players make a come-from-behind victory? Is this fun? The more questions you ask yourself about a design that you can answer and feel good about, the better the design.

Please make sure you understand that this is not a vote. Even if there is a consensus on a specific idea that everyone wants that is no guarantee that we will develop it. Also there is no guarantee that we will develop an idea that is suggested. We want to gather ideas on what you want from the next warzone so we can make something ya'll want!

Also please note that this Warzone will not be released Live during the current Road Map.

Looking forward to reading what yall have in mind!

Cheers! :w_smile:

What about improving existing Warzones? If on first doors in Voidstar attacking team have a big chance of breaking them, the second doors are literally unbreakable for attacking team if the defending team knows how to play. Maybe add some obstacles between respawn of defending team and doors and/or move doors more far from each other?

Edited by GNWP

Hmm, How long until this thread gets deleted or locked :(

That disclaimer is pretty much the same disclaimer that any product (video game or otherwise) will put on when they start asking for feedback from the community so don't freak out.

Seriously, Looking at this thread is it any surprise they don't listen the pvp group...

I've often thought this might be the best thing to do...learning new mechanics shouldn't be part of every new WZ. It's ok to reskin the existing ones to get some variety going.

I agree. I think they've gotten too caught up on making each new warzone completely different, for the sake of "variety", when all they need to do is take some of the existing ones and retexture, shift things around, and bam you've got yourself a new warzone.

There's nothing wrong with coming out with a new game type every so often, but it seems like it's coming at the expense of regular updates. Sometimes quantity is better than quality. Quality in this case being "each warzone is a completely different game type"

In a game like battlefield you've got a bunch of different game types (e.g., Conquest, Rush, and Team Deathmatch), and each of them has multiple maps to play on. Many of them are actually just recycled across each other, but at least having the variety in each keeps things more interesting than just one dedicated Conquest map, one dedicated Rush map, and one dedicated Team Deathmatch map.

Edited by MillionsKNives

It might be hard to create but I would like to have a warzone on a sail barge above a sarlacc.

Then you have to be careful not to fall off and fight players, could be a very cool thing.

LOL. Just posted this same thing without reading your post.

I understand that people are upset and with every right, but the responses in this thread are ridicolous. No matter how they came to the conclusion that PvP needs more attention they have arrived at it all the same. Maybe all the hard work put fourth by the community has finally resulted in something?

Furthermore 2.7 is a huge PvP balance patch so to say we're not seeing an enormous improvement from the so called "DEVing" of 2013 would be a lie. People need to take a step back and see this for what it is, an aknowledgement.

I would like to urge Bioware to consider to never again create maps where you are forced to keep someone AFK. Guardian a nod, a door, a hut in Novare... Any kind of guarding means you've effectively condemned someone to "AFK", you're rewarding not participating and thats a horrible experience. As soon as you have a stealth on the team they are expected to guard or else they will get flamed.

Please, please and please - launch a map that is focused around objectives such as king of the hill (one only) - anything that means that you can work with your team and not against it (chicken race every start of civil war for example)

Hmm, How long until this thread gets deleted or locked :(

That disclaimer is pretty much the same disclaimer that any product (video game or otherwise) will put on when they start asking for feedback from the community so don't freak out.

Seriously, Looking at this thread is it any surprise they don't listen the pvp group...

They have never listened to the pvp community. Gotta be a pver or RPer to have biowares ear.

I agree. I think they've gotten too caught up on making each new warzone completely different, for the sake of "variety", when all they need to do is take some of the existing ones and retexture, shift things around, and bam you've got yourself a new warzone.

There's nothing wrong with coming out with a new game type every so often, but it seems like it's coming at the expense of regular updates. Sometimes quantity is better than quality. Quality in this case being "each warzone is a completely different game type"

I can agree to this to some extent, but at the same time I like variety. It would be nice if they could devote resources to reskinning existing warzones as well as designing new ones.

Also I really hope this thread doesn't get derailed too much. This is actually an awesome topic that riles up the creative juices in many people. To see it buried under disgruntled players complaints or derailed by demands not pertaining to the topic would be a damn shame. :( Please let's actually have fun with this.

My idea is running type of WZ where both teams enter a tunnel.

The tunnel is in reality an abandoned ship in space, and the two ships IMPs and Reps connect to it.

In this tunnel both teams try to make five consoles work, each console needs two mins for its computer to enter the command). But a console can be interrupted during its two mins run, and turn to the other faction.

To start a console it is an eight secs command, to interrupt it is 2.

The console will be in a similar position but with an important distance between them of say 100 meters.

The console is in reality giving the command so you start disengage procedure and can steal the resource this container style ship features.

For the story side we can say these where stolen crystals by Malgus and the ship was abandoned.

What I like about this;

Is that teams can spread thinner, and also need a high amount of team work to get all five consoles.

Furthermore 2.7 is a huge PvP balance patch so to say we're not seeing an enormous improvement from the so called "DEVing" of 2013 would be a lie. People need to take a step back and see this for what it is, an aknowledgement.

So ranged being the only way to go when it comes to dps is balance to you? Ok..... Marauder is going to be useless, scoundrel is going to be weak without a knockdown (horribly way to handle nerfing them, should have looked at their actual damage, not their knockdown) assassin might be ok still, but then again all of the ranged have a plethora of escapes, so probably not, and powertech is outplayed by ranged as well. Meanwhile, snipers is getting a better CD with defense screen, sorc is getting a lot of QoL buffs plus access to their root breaker for every spec, and enduring bastion. Merc is getting buffs to its damage, and already has a lot of defensive cooldowns. What is melee getting? NERFS. Scoundrel and assassin are getting their knockdowns removed, and smash is getting gutted.

I would like to urge Bioware to consider to never again create maps where you are forced to keep someone AFK. Guardian a nod, a door, a hut in Novare... Any kind of guarding means you've effectively condemned someone to "AFK", you're rewarding not participating and thats a horrible experience. As soon as you have a stealth on the team they are expected to guard or else they will get flamed.

Agreed.

That sounds like something a casual/PvE'er would say... :rolleyes:

I just wanted to comment quick on that line so it doesn't derail the thread too badly. That line is entirely my fault and something that Alex wanted to leave out. I promise you the purpose of this thread is to get your feedback on possible designs for the next Warzone. Our PvP team is really excited to see what ideas you can all come up with. No joke, I just left their pit and every one of them has this thread on their monitors, they are taking it seriously.

It is the Community Manager in me that asked Alex to put that line there. I just tried to manage expectations a little there but I probably overdid it. Please, carry on with your ideas, the PvP team wants them :) This is a really cool chance to get your feedback right to the team!

-eric

I have no plans for future content , srry brah

Hey there! Please disregard all the haters while they are vocal they are the minority! There are many of us who really would like new wzs!

There is one type of warzone that I would like to see!

Really the only way to describe it is call it what it really is and that's Alterac Valley from WoW.

My idea was take that warzone and put it into a setting of coreila. Let's say the Corporation Sector.

The imps would start south while the pubs start north. They each have a main base inside a Jedi for the pubs and a Sith for the imps. The goal to win is whoeever kills the sith or jedi first.

You'll get say 200 reinforcements. Each person who dies uses a reinforcement. If you lose all reinforcements you lose.

On before the bases there will be a minor base with either a commando or an imperial agent in it. Killing the leader in this base will gain take away 100 reinforcements from the other team.

Looking at the map out of the way on the left side there will be a neutral walker factory and on the right a neutral droid factory. Claiming one of these will give your side 50 extra reinforcements for a total possible 100 extra.

So this will give many ways to play and many different strategies/ideas to win!

Thank you for your time!

We have no plans at this time to give you ideas about a Warzone.

I just spit out my drink. I think I want to request a forum "like" button.

See Alex. This is what happens when the PvP community has been jaded for damn near two years. It shouldn't be a surprise that we are giving you the bird.

It's to the point of being appalling that you guys would even pull this move at this point.

• Dev Post
Who cares about the 'good' players or the emotionally wounded lovers lol!? I care about me! I definitely support another objective heavy warzone. Maybe a moving objective warzone like Headquarters in Call of Duty for example. Where a specific point is highlighted and players have to cap it via novarre coast capping and control it for a certain amount of time. First time to have their control tally reach say 5 minutes wins the game. So pretty much a moving king of the hill game.

Edit: I can go into more details in a few. Just cooking something right now lol.

A moving King of the Hill is a game type we have talked about. We like the idea but one concern is that it might end up just being a moving dogpile where the whole team is fighting the entire enemy team, making the whole experience a cluster on one point. What do yall think?

Good luck with the cooking Rasen! :csw_yoda:

Coming from the guy who trolled the commando thread and just claimed that this is the best balance patch even though 2 classes are being rendered useless dps wise and a few other classes are going to be OP, I'd say everything makes sense now.

I encourage you to run for Class Representative because you will sure help balance this game.

Yeah, I've lost brain cells every post of his I've read.

You just answered your own question. What kind of company would want to kill off their hardcore gamers?

I would suspect they have limited resources when it comes to PvP so I would imagine they have to put their manpower on what the community as whole wants. Most of the content now relates to the cartel market in some form pvp really does not have the opportunity so it is lower on the food chain when it comes to content

I just spit out my drink. I think I want to request a forum "like" button.

See Alex. This is what happens when the PvP community has been jaded for damn near two years. It shouldn't be a surprise that we are giving you the bird.

It's to the point of being appalling that you guys would even pull this move at this point.

Agreed. As I stated earlier, TOO LITTLE, WAY TOO LATE. Classes are still horribly unbalanced, and the next patch is just going to make things worse, or at the very least, shake up what is OP and underpowered, there hasn't been a single point in this game short of maybe 2.0 where I felt the game was fairly balanced and every class had a role in pvp.

Another excellent idea freshening the visuals up would be great ie the denova one on tatooine would be cool

I think one easy way to do this would be to have a similar theme with more external obstacles. I think universal favorites are huttball and voidstar. Since Huttball already has v2, why not do something like voidstar. Maybe you set in a cave on Hoth with falling icicles, red reticles that need to be dodged while trying to plant bombs to get to the next part of the cave would be cool. Even making a way where these can be predicted so players can use it to their advantage would be cool. Maybe you look up and can see how many seconds left to a drop. Maybe you can even speed up the drop with ranged abilities.

Another Voidstar variant could be Belsavis. 5 rooms, fastest team to get to the end wins (2 rounds just like Voidstar). Instead of planting a bomb there would be 5 Rakata energy terminals. 3 second cast needed to lock each pylon. All 5 pylons needed to unlock room and give path to the next.

Last but not least. What would SWTOR be without Rakghouls. I'm not sure how feasible a WZ like this is, but here's the general idea. Set on Taris, there are points around a wide open map that have Rakghoul serum and you start with one dose, which you need to keybind. Run to spawn points, grab a serum. Inject an opposing player. If a player gets three injections they turn into a Rakghoul and explode. The Rakghoul then runs to your team's pen and you get a point for each Rak in your pen. First team to 100 Raks win. Strategy? Run and hide? Kill opposing players before they inject, go on the offense and inject the other team. Pretty different in my opinion and people love their Raks.