Are missile lock breaking maneuvers working?

HoloGrinder

I hope that's the case.

If I were the designer, I would make barrel roll (first off not available to gunships!) only break the "target lock" portion of missile firing, but not break the tracking of the actual missile itself unless you can somehow use trajectory to get the missile to hit a surface. Breaking missile tracking with barrel roll is ridiculous. Retro thrusters should break missile tracking because you could literally end up behind the missile. Korrigan turn and the 90-degree downward turn should also break tracking but barrel roll at most should only delay it.

That being said, it's perfectly fine for the barrel roll to break the "target lock" portion, just not the "missile has fired and chasing you" portion.

The official party line is as follows (if anyone has a more recent quote, please chime in!)

Howdy folks,

Thought I would pop in a clarify a couple of things. There are a couple of ways to break a lock-on sequence when no missile has been fired yet:

• Skilled piloting, such as maneuvering outside of the opponent's secondary firing arc, or trying to break line of sight by zooming around or inside of asteroids or other objects.
  • Activating a defensive maneuver type engine ability (such as Koiogran Turn, Power Dive, Barrel Roll, Retro Thrusters or Snap Turn).

Once a missile is in-flight, the only way to avoid being hit is to activate a defensive maneuver type engine ability (the same list as above). This will 'evade' the missile. Visually, the missile will still complete its journey towards your ship, but it will not explode and no damage will be done to you.

As an added bonus, when your ship is actively executing a defensive maneuver, enemies cannot lock-on to you. On their end they will hear an error buzz when they attempt to right click to lock-on.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things!

Found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=705142&page=2

All that being said, there is also a slight delay between your PC and the server, so sometimes it may appear to you that you engaged a missile breaking ability before the missile has impacted, when in fact the server has already registered the hit. This is pretty unavoidable, so my best advice is don't wait quote as long to Barrel Roll ;)

Might be Cluster Missiles with the double upgrade? For some time now they've had a bug where you often have to break the lock of each 65% damage missile separately.

Not sure whether this patch fixed it or now. I don't think I've had it happen yet, but then again I'm seeing far fewer Flashfires and Stings.

another possibility is you have been getting locked by more than one person at a time, you may block one but you usually can't stop both... most people that think they're being one-shot or missiles are bypassing locks are just being targeted and attacked by multiple people... this game moves so fast a lot of people just switch to the next closest target when they mop up theirs, and frequently 2 or more pilots can and often do end up on the same target by flying closely together...

but nobody said those locks all happen in the same second, some could be 3 to 5 seconds apart and that's a long time in GSF... one of those locks can potentially happen the second after you hit you evasion maneuver or DField, it happens and probably more often than you'd think...

I've also noticed this; it's happened to me twice lately, and never happened before that so I am wondering if they've introduced a bug. I'll be locked on so use retro thrusters, and while shooting forward after the back, the missile will hit me anyway... it makes no sense, I don't think it's lag because that's a fair way into the manouevre for it to hit because of that?

funny Jasper, considering i've been hit often directly after using my engine ability or DField, never noticed a lingering effect on my lock breakers before... it's been that way before 2.6 and after... now if there is a bug associated it's been there from the start and it needs to be fixed, but i notice no difference...

I've also noticed this; it's happened to me twice lately, and never happened before that so I am wondering if they've introduced a bug. I'll be locked on so use retro thrusters, and while shooting forward after the back, the missile will hit me anyway... it makes no sense, I don't think it's lag because that's a fair way into the manouevre for it to hit because of that?

The missile animation will still "hit" you, but you should not take damage if you successfully break a lock. No having said that the double volley cluster missiles are bugged and the break only stops the 1st damage tick (of the 2, equal amounts) from doing damage.

The missile animation will still "hit" you, but you should not take damage if you successfully break a lock. No having said that the double volley cluster missiles are bugged and the break only stops the 1st damage tick (of the 2, equal amounts) from doing damage.

The first time it happened it actually killed me, I was pretty confused about dying in the middle of a retro thruster in open space. The second time damaged me as well and I very clearly saw the missile that time (it was white I think; no idea what type it was though). While I'm not totally certain it's a bug and not a case of confusion, since it happened the second time I am fairly sure that something odd's going on there.

Edited by Solloby

funny Jasper, considering i've been hit often directly after using my engine ability or DField, never noticed a lingering effect on my lock breakers before... it's been that way before 2.6 and after... now if there is a bug associated it's been there from the start and it needs to be fixed, but i notice no difference...

I think how it works is you're immune to lock on during the evade animation (i.e. barrel roll) in addition to breaking the current locks. I don't think there's any lingering immunity after the maneuver.

Edited by RebekahWSD

lol, i've exploded many times mid Barrel Roll with red text popping up saying "you can't do that while dead"... Lockon Warning sound starts, Barrel Roll kicks in, Lockon warning sound stops, i explode, red system message pops up... crazy stuff there...

yeah no lingering immunity, i think that guy that said there was was just blowing smoke...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

The first time it happened it actually killed me, I was pretty confused about dying in the middle of a retro thruster in open space.

This has happened to me several times, dieing from a missile mid barrel roll (without pancaking into something, though that's happened as well). It's either a bug, or lag, not sure which is more likely given my ISP (Virmin Media) & Bioware's coders...

This actually happened to me yesterday. I know it's different from before the patch because before the patch I wouldn't take damage, whereas when this happened I died.

Of course, it could have been that I got smacked with lasers when I thought I was getting smacked with a conc. I've done that to other people, so it's possible that's what happened.

I'll keep an eye out for it and if it happens again I'll see if I can't get more details on the situation.

We looked into this and found that missile drones do indeed still fire at a player executing a defensive maneuver. This is due to the lock-on functioning a bit differently than a player's lock-on. We'll get this fixed in an upcoming patch!

:sy_spacestation:

Thanks, Chris!

Edited by Armonddd

The official party line is as follows (if anyone has a more recent quote, please chime in!)

Found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=705142&page=2

All that being said, there is also a slight delay between your PC and the server, so sometimes it may appear to you that you engaged a missile breaking ability before the missile has impacted, when in fact the server has already registered the hit. This is pretty unavoidable, so my best advice is don't wait quote as long to Barrel Roll ;)

Seems to be a few things wrong with this.

#1. Upgraded cluster missiles will still hit during barrel roll if you waited until the missile was launched to use the barrel roll, because the second missile will hit, but not the first. this results in a hit for reduced damage, but still a hit. I'm waiting on Bioware to decide if this is intended or not.

#2. If you use distortion field to break a missile lock before a missile has launched, it'll break the lock, but they will immediately be able to lock onto you again, it does not break the lock for the full 6s (or 3s that it used to be before). If you use it after a missile launches, it will not avoid the missile. This I believe is bugged.

#2. If you use distortion field to break a missile lock before a missile has launched, it'll break the lock, but they will immediately be able to lock onto you again, it does not break the lock for the full 6s (or 3s that it used to be before). If you use it after a missile launches, it will not avoid the missile. This I believe is bugged.

It's never done this, as far as I know. It would be ridiculous if it did, and the description doesn't even imply that it would.

We looked into this and found that missile drones do indeed still fire at a player executing a defensive maneuver. This is due to the lock-on functioning a bit differently than a player's lock-on. We'll get this fixed in an upcoming patch!

So it's true then, I wasn't just going crazy!

Glad to hear it will be fixed, thank you :)

Please look into Cluster Missiles hitting you after you evade too!